The cycling thread Page 188

• Page

of 321 First / Last

• pistol 19 Jan 2013 13:45:53 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Rhythm wrote:
    Was the "I wasn't cheating, I was leveling the playing field" a snidey way of implicating many others?
    Plus the "it's impossible to win the tour without doping". Sure Wiggo will have something to say about that....
    In the 90's Wiggo wouldn't have even come in the top 10 and whilst I'm 90% sure Wiggo is clean, he's not the golden boy he tries to make out and Sky are definitely a little fishy in places. Wiggo rode with doped teams such as Garmin and Cofidis etc and he's not exactly coming out and slating Armstrong that much.
  • oceanmotion 19 Jan 2013 16:03:41 15,243 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hope reporters start investigating other sports as thoroughly for doping because there is many sports which don't have a lot of testing, a big one for example, Tennis which doesn't even have a blood doping test.

I think there is some deliberate denial and sidestepping in sports, particularly popular ones. Does anyone really think there is that many clean sports out there with such numbers that only the odd few get caught and more likely, recreational drugs. Seems very odd. They aren't enough tests or specific tests to begin with in other sports.
  • MikeP 19 Jan 2013 18:43:56 1,676 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a fair point. I think most popular sports have their own issues, but PEDs are cycling's specific poison.

In cricket it's match-fixing, football is violence, racism & corruption. Plus, there are persistent rumours of significant levels of steroid abuse in both rugby and tennis.

Operation Puerto pointed the finger at football and tennis, but that never seemed to be followed up with a great deal of enthusiasm. Money talks, or at least seems to lead to eyes being averted.

I'd love to see other sports be policed with the same vigour as cycling, but it's not going to happen, because it's not in the interests of the governing bodies to do so.

Personally, I think most professional sport is riddled with it. I'd like to be less sceptical, but when you look at the amount of money that's at stake, why wouldn't sportspeople be tempted?

Edited by MikeP at 18:44:51 19-01-2013
  • mal 19 Jan 2013 23:39:10 21,956 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    mal wrote:
    Hmm, on closer inspection, it clearly is [...] the crown race, and a bit of googling tells me those things are pretty well fitted to forks and are a bit of a bugger to get off and on.
    Sometimes you can remove the crown race by tapping it gently from underneath, and working round with a flat blade screwdriver (cover the tip with cloth or a bit of old inner tube to prevent marking), work your way around and go steady.

You can use a similar technique to reinstall on a new fork. Tap it round the top part of the crown race collar to slowly drop it in place. Do not strike the bearing surface.

It's a 10 minute job for an LBS with a crown race puller and an installer, however.
    Cheers. Yeah, I managed to figure out much of that once I'd worked out what it was called, and was able to google it.

In practice, it only took a couple of moderate clouts on either side using an old screwdriver and a hammer on the underside to free it - no wedging required. I didn't bother protecting the surface, as it was only the underside. As it was there was no marking anyway, so I guess the crown race is made out of tougher steel than my screwdriver. It also probably helped that my old screwdriver was one I'd made myself back in the day, so didn't feature any especially pointy corners.

Putting it back on (once I'd thoroughly cleaned and dried it) to the new fork was a bit more fraught. First I tried using a block of wood but evidently it was going to take a bit more oomph that that could give, as the wood was just splintering and warping while the crown race barely moved. So I switched to using the screwdriver, which I was a little dubious about as while I was using it on the collar - not the active faces of the race - the point I was striking was very close but I needn't fear, as still the only visible wear on it is on the bearing surface, where the ball bearings have worn their favourite spots a little more shiny.

So year, not a 10 minute job doing it without the proper tools. 2 minutes max taking it off, and about 40 minutes putting it back.

Edit: Watch, out, for, excessive, commas, especially, in, compound, sentences.

Edited by mal at 23:44:52 19-01-2013

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Psychotext 20 Jan 2013 13:37:17 52,778 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've decided that once this ailment is healed (or I guess when I'm told I can), I'm going to train in a bit more of a structured manner. I've pretty much finished reading "Time Crunched Cyclist" now and I reckon I'm going to go for the "New Century" program and see how it goes.

Was going to do the "Experienced Century" program but I've got no idea just how much damage has been done to my leg so I really don't want to push it too hard off the bat. Neither of the competitor programs are of any interest to me because... well, I don't compete. :)

I just need to find the closest approximations of these rides on Trainer Road. That, or make some myself.
  • MikeP 20 Jan 2013 20:15:50 1,676 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I've decided that once this ailment is healed (or I guess when I'm told I can), I'm going to train in a bit more of a structured manner. I've pretty much finished reading "Time Crunched Cyclist" now and I reckon I'm going to go for the "New Century" program and see how it goes.

Was going to do the "Experienced Century" program but I've got no idea just how much damage has been done to my leg so I really don't want to push it too hard off the bat. Neither of the competitor programs are of any interest to me because... well, I don't compete. :)

I just need to find the closest approximations of these rides on Trainer Road. That, or make some myself.
    There are two versions of the Novice Century on Trainerroad. I believe the plans are based out of the Time Crunched Cyclist approach.
  • Psychotext 20 Jan 2013 20:46:58 52,778 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh excellent. I was hoping as much but I hadn't checked.
  • MikeP 20 Jan 2013 21:33:12 1,676 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've been really impressed with Trainerroad so far.

I'm at the end of week 4 of my first training block, and the pacing and variety of the individual sessions is good. The missus has been giving it a go too, and she's just completed the whole of the intermediate base 1 plan. The FTP tests to help you scale the programs is a simple idea, but it's done very well.

Now that I seem to have sorted my back, core and flexibility out I'm going to get myself a new weekend bike. The Roubaix's been good, but I want something lighter and a bit more punchy. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Canyon, I have a couple of friend who own them, and they've been very pleased with them.
  • Psychotext 20 Jan 2013 21:44:53 52,778 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are you doing yoga yet?
  • Psychotext 20 Jan 2013 21:45:53 52,778 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, re Canyon, I've been looking at this one:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3015
  • MikeP 20 Jan 2013 22:36:52 1,676 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Are you doing yoga yet?
    Not quite :)

My routine does involve some Yoga-type movements though. I discovered today that I can somewhat inelegantly do a full bridge pose, and I'm working up to plough, although that's pretty difficult!

Imagine someone who looks a bit like Lenin doing this and you'd get the idea :p

Edited by MikeP at 22:38:59 20-01-2013
  • Psychotext 20 Jan 2013 22:37:18 52,778 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, yoga is a lot tougher than people give it credit for.
  • caligari 20 Jan 2013 22:41:08 16,832 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Also, re Canyon, I've been looking at this one:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3015
    So very sexy. I love Canyon bikes - one of their catalogues dropped out of my Cycling Plus magazine the other day - I've been drooling over it ever since.
  • MikeP 20 Jan 2013 22:44:56 1,676 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm going to go for this

• kickerconspiracy 20 Jan 2013 22:59:38 495 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm going for this:

Edited by kickerconspiracy at 23:00:33 20-01-2013
  • Psychotext 20 Jan 2013 23:04:32 52,778 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well... that certainly has some angles.
  • MikeP 21 Jan 2013 09:51:21 1,676 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Reminds me of the Flying Gate design, used by Hetchins and others

Edited by MikeP at 09:51:38 21-01-2013
  • elstoof 21 Jan 2013 10:02:38 6,139 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice canyon that Mike, is that Di2 on there?
  • Psychotext 21 Jan 2013 11:04:10 52,778 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are cables on the downtube and toptube... take a guess. :p
  • elstoof 21 Jan 2013 12:28:15 6,139 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well the top tube cable is the rear brake, but I'll give you the ones on the down tube ;-)
  • Psychotext 21 Jan 2013 12:30:16 52,778 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The argument was that if it was only on the top or the bottom then I could understand the question... but not both (you muppet!).
  • elstoof 21 Jan 2013 13:48:01 6,139 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No I agree with you. I wasn't really paying attention when I checked the picture, you called it.

There are cables on the ... toptube
    I was just poking fun at that, you still need a brake cable you fraggle.
  • elstoof 21 Jan 2013 13:49:58 6,139 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How was that Time Crunched Cyclist book by the way, I was a bit put off from a few reviews saying you need a power meter to get the best from it. Still worth a read even with no desire to spend a grand on a new crank?
  • Psychotext 21 Jan 2013 14:07:23 52,778 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    My rear brake cable is routed along my downtube (on one of my bikes)... you tweenie.

As for the book, pretty good. Truth is you do need a power meter to get the "BEST" of it, though there are heart rate versions of all the sessions anyway.

Completely irrelevant for me though as I'll be using Trainer Road for all of that madness (I'm not letting training interfere with my actual rides).

Edited by Psychotext at 14:09:43 21-01-2013
  • Fab4 21 Jan 2013 14:11:17 5,691 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have Shimano BR-M422 brake arms on my bike, which supposedly take Shimano s65t pads. I've just checked the price of these pads, and I'd nearly be as well getting a new set of arms with what they are charging. Is there any cheaper alternatives I could use, in terms of the pads? Amazon has cheap V Brake pads, are they interchangeable?
  • MikeP 21 Jan 2013 14:15:37 1,676 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    No I agree with you. I wasn't really paying attention when I checked the picture, you called it.

There are cables on the ... toptube
    No it's not Di2, they actually don't offer it on the Ultimate series. Got to say, I'm not really into it. I like mechanical shifters.
  • MikeP 21 Jan 2013 14:17:38 1,676 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fab4 wrote:
    I have Shimano BR-M422 brake arms on my bike, which supposedly take Shimano s65t pads. I've just checked the price of these pads, and I'd nearly be as well getting a new set of arms with what they are charging. Is there any cheaper alternatives I could use, in terms of the pads? Amazon has cheap V Brake pads, are they interchangeable?
    Yep, they are normally are. How much do they want for official Shimano ones?
  • pistol 21 Jan 2013 14:19:00 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    Supposedly he did it free gratis. I could see why, from a PR persons point of view. Lends credibility. Expect a book deal etc very soon.
    There is a book coming out in June via the NY Times and they're now talking about a biopic film too through Paramount, although no director, producer/actor named. He's still got all lawsuits to get through and hopefully a proper interview under oath with Wada or USADA. It certainly ain't over by a long way. Bryneel has also just agreed to talk to the Belgiun athorities to give his side, so there's lots of info yet to come out. He'll be lucky if he walks away without at least half of his $100m fortune in tatters, with no sign of anymore coming in.

Sounds a lot but for someone like him with his lifestyle, that will hit him pretty hard.
  • kickerconspiracy 21 Jan 2013 14:19:19 495 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My Dad's got a Curly Hetchins. Not that he ever rides the thing. Just poses with it for photos.
  • Fab4 21 Jan 2013 14:26:11 5,691 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    Yep, they are normally are. How much do they want for official Shimano ones?
    A couple of quid less than the arm sets. I have found a site that will do them (the official ones) for 7euros though. Which isnt too bad.
  • Page

of 321 First / Last