The cycling thread Page 178

• Page

of 375 First / Last

• MikeP 13 Dec 2012 12:55:39 2,075 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I think you're scared you might like it Psycho. Smooth legs, a smear of Vaseline on the calves....

Which bike are you taking over to Liege Mike?
    It'll be the Roubaix, unless I cave in and buy myself something spingly ahead of my 40th.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• pistol 13 Dec 2012 16:38:03 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My first Sportive is early May with a build up to 128 mile Wales Dragon in June and Marmotte in July. Then a couple of 100+ sportives in Sept and done for the year.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 10:10:40
    Hey fellow cyclists, it's Q&A time again from me! Well, Q from me, A from you, hopefully! :)

Does anyone have any recommendations for water-proof, or resistant, mountain biking shoes? Preferably as cheap as possible, i.e under £50.

Three bike techie questions.

My rear brake lever is sticking when I pull it. The cable holder bit is sticking out and I have to press it in to get the lever back forward. Is it a stretched cable? Grease/much in the brake lever area?

Another rear brake thing. My rear wheel is not spinning freely, something is putting resistance on it and I can only think it's the brake callipers? Related to above Q possibly?

When pushing hard on my pedal to go up hill the chain seems to skip and the pedal falls, with no traction, like it disengages the wheel for a moment. Only happens with a lot of pressure. What could this be?

Thanks in advance, any help appreciated, can't afford to have it fixed at the shop right now.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 10:22:25
    So yorkshire has been given the start of the 2014 TDF, thats fantastic news. Great for yorkshire as i think they were expecting a couple of years later than that.

Will def try to get up to see that. I'm thinking about going to a couple of stages next year as well. Be great to see the double pass of the Alpe D' Huez!
  • elstoof 14 Dec 2012 10:28:16 8,304 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Neoprene overshoes can be had for about 20 quid, these will keep you dry for a decent amount of time. Sealskinz socks do a similar job.

You could have some contamination inside the brake cable housing causing sticky movement, get the cables and housings replaced if its been a couple of years since the last service.

Chain slipping will be down to a worn chain and cassette, get these replaced.
  • Vortex808 14 Dec 2012 11:15:21 7,580 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    So yorkshire has been given the start of the 2014 TDF, thats fantastic news. Great for yorkshire as i think they were expecting a couple of years later than that.

Will def try to get up to see that. I'm thinking about going to a couple of stages next year as well. Be great to see the double pass of the Alpe D' Huez!
    Aye, might try and get to that, or to the stage to london afterwards.

I am trying to persuade the wife we should go on holiday to France in July next year. I hope to coincide our venue with a stage if I can. :)
  • Trafford 14 Dec 2012 11:27:52 5,966 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @apostle
    I've got a pair of Shimano MT60.
    Good looking touring shoes with a softish rubber soul. Ideal for day to day use also.
    They're Gortex, but not 100% waterproof, but good if your foot goes down in a bog. I've had them 2+ years and they're virtually worn out now, my Crank Bros cleats are fused on.

I kind of replaced them with a set of Mavic Alpine tourer shoes this summer, these are far from waterproof and I really feel the cold in them, I bought some Merino socks to combat this
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 11:28:09
    Cheers elstoof. I got some overshoes, but there's still some water leaking in, not much, but my feet are still being frozen. Don't know if it's just a bad pair or not, but I'm looking into sealskinz socks and some good shoes.

@Trafford - Cheers, I'll look into the Shimano MT60's. The Shinmano ones look pretty cool.

As for the other bits, damn it, looks like I'll be speding some more money on this bike then. D'oh. Seriously wondering if I should buy something new on finance, this bike is costing me a fair bit now.

Edited by Apostle at 11:30:51 14-12-2012
  • MikeP 14 Dec 2012 11:36:16 2,075 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apostle wrote:
    Cheers elstoof. I got some overshoes, but there's still some water leaking in, not much, but my feet are still being frozen. Don't know if it's just a bad pair or not, but I'm looking into sealskinz socks and some good shoes.

@Trafford - Cheers, I'll look into the Shimano MT60's. The Shinmano ones look pretty cool.

As for the other bits, damn it, looks like I'll be speding some more money on this bike then. D'oh. Seriously wondering if I should buy something new on finance, this bike is costing me a fair bit now.
    What bike do you have at the moment Apostle? Sometimes it can get uneconomic to keep fixing things up.

• Psychotext 14 Dec 2012 11:39:40 55,032 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You pretty much wont get good winter shoes without spending more than £50, unless you're really lucky with a pair in a sale.

For that sort of cash I'd go with sealskins or a better pair of overshoes (and put on warm socks inside rather than waterproofs).

These should pretty much do you: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-hardwear-shoe-covers/

(There are some DHB ones which are cheaper, but sadly they're out of stock until April)

Edited by Psychotext at 11:42:27 14-12-2012
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 12:18:02
    MikeP wrote:What bike do you have at the moment Apostle? Sometimes it can get uneconomic to keep fixing things up.
    Second hand Carrera Kraken. I guessing this is a Halfords own brand bike? It's already cost me £75 on a new wheel and sorting gears out. Not surprisingly other bits are a bit rough, but I sort of put up with them. The rear brake and chain slipping is annoying though, and stopping me riding as I want to, i.e pushing harder.

@Psychotext - Yeah, I got some advice from a bike shop the other day, he said "you get what you pay for" more or less. The quality won't be there is you go cheap. I think he's right as all the cheap things I've bought so far (gloves and overshoes) haven't worked out for me.
  • Psychotext 14 Dec 2012 12:29:58 55,032 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Carreras aren't too bad, Kraken is actually a reasonable bit of kit, but obviously when you get a used bike it can come down to how well it was maintained. Cassettes and chains are pretty cheap so you can certainly try that (test the chain with a metal ruler first if you have one, details via google). I assume you've been tuning the dérailleurs properly?

That said... January sales coming soon. Bound to be some good bikes on offer, especially with how shit the weather was this year.
  • elstoof 14 Dec 2012 12:40:57 8,304 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chains, cassettes and cables will always need replacing no matter what bike you ride. A few tools are a good investment if you feel up to doing it yourself, it's not difficult once you know how and you save yourself both the labour costs and the time a shop will take to do it.
  • Psychotext 14 Dec 2012 12:41:58 55,032 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LBS just texted me. Bike has been serviced and two wheels trued for £49.

:eek:

What am I missing?
  • MikeP 14 Dec 2012 12:57:27 2,075 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    LBS just texted me. Bike has been serviced and two wheels trued for £49.

:eek:

What am I missing?
    Are you worried about it costing too much? Down in the smoke that'd be considered a bargain!

What did they do in the service?

• Psychotext 14 Dec 2012 13:02:50 55,032 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quite the opposite, that sounds ridiculously cheap. I did get 25% off for liking them on facebook though. :)

For the service I asked them to strip down all the bearings and re-grease as well as tuning the gears and brakes. Only think that wasn't involved was anything fork related.

What I really like about that lot is that they only charge you the amount of time they spend on the bike. There are no fixed costs, just a per hour charge and then whatever you need in parts (I guess nothing today).
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 13:45:59
    Psychotext wrote:(test the chain with a metal ruler first if you have one, details via google). I assume you've been tuning the dérailleurs properly?
    Not sure what you mean about tuning the derailleurs, so I guess not! I figured the chain going up the rear side of the front cog was down to it not going through the rear derailleur smooth/fast enough. Maybe I have more faults than I realise.

Yep, phew, they are relatively cheap, chains and cassestes, but I just realised I have an old cassette on my old wheel. I may whip that off then, for the time being. Is this the tool I need?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BBB-Lock-Cassette-Lockring-Remover/dp/B000VT2EDG/ref=sr_1_8?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1355490345&sr=1-8
  • Psychotext 14 Dec 2012 14:00:24 55,032 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I mean this:

One warning on the rear dérailleur, the one he has there is high normal, you may have low normal which works in reverse (basically you start at the biggest cog). You'll know pretty quickly which one you have when you loosen the cable. There are also guides on how to identify it online.

This is from Wiki:

High normal or top normal rear derailleurs return the chain to the smallest sprocket on the cassette when no cable tension is applied. This is the regular pattern used on most Shimano mountain, all Shimano road, and all SRAM and Campagnolo derailleurs. In this condition, spring pressure takes care of the easier change to smaller sprockets. In road racing the swiftest gear changes are required on the sprints to the finish line, hence high-normal types, which allow a quick change to a higher gear, remain the preference.

Low normal or rapid rise rear derailleurs return the chain to the largest sprocket on the cassette when no cable tension is applied. While this was once a common design for rear derailleurs, it is relatively uncommon today. In mountain biking and off-road cycling, the most critical gear changes occur on uphill sections, where riders must cope with obstacles and difficult turns while pedaling under heavy load. This derailleur type provides an advantage over high normal derailleurs because gear changes to lower gears occur in the direction of the loaded spring, making these shifts easier during high load pedaling.
    Edited by Psychotext at 14:07:51 14-12-2012
  • elstoof 14 Dec 2012 14:07:04 8,304 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You'll need a lockring tool to match your hub - either shimano or campy, a chain whip and and a wrench of some kind big enough to grip the lockring tool.

All you need to do tuning wise on an already set up derailleur is tweak the cable tension. There's a couple of barrel adjusters places along the route to allow this, screwing the barrel in will loosen the cable, unscrewing tightens. If your gears are slow to shift to a smaller cog, the tension is too tight so screw a barrel in a quarter turn and test. Slow shifts to bigger cogs, do the opposite.
  • Psychotext 14 Dec 2012 14:11:52 55,032 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wouldn't trust that the dérailleur he has is set up properly already. Better to work from first principals like in the vid... plus you learn a lot more than way. Especially because of this:

"I figured the chain going up the rear side of the front cog was down to it not going through the rear derailleur smooth/fast enough."

Which sounds like the limit screw isn't set properly.
  • elstoof 14 Dec 2012 14:27:54 8,304 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thats why I put the caveat of being properly set up in there ;)

Didn't see your video link before I posted that.

Edited by elstoof at 14:32:07 14-12-2012
  • Psychotext 14 Dec 2012 15:22:31 55,032 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just picked up the bike and the wheels. Got a proper report on everything they did too, which is great. :)

My turn for a shoutout. Reg Braddick Cycles of Broadway, Cardiff are easily the best bike shop I've used in the area. Top notch servicing, good prices and very friendly / helpful staff.

\o/
  • Psychotext 15 Dec 2012 12:40:06 55,032 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THE PACT HAS BEEN BROKEN!

Wiggle did not send me Haribo in my recent order. I don't know what this means but I suspect we are looking at the end of days.

/dons downhill body armour and full face helmet
  • elstoof 15 Dec 2012 13:05:23 8,304 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't want to stir the pot or anything, but last time they packed in some Tangfastics and a High5 sample sachet.
  • Deleted user 15 December 2012 13:16:18
    Aww what! I thought I was special when I had a packet of tangfastics ;(

Thanks for all the advice in the above posts guys. I've bought a freewheel tool and am going to be trying to swap them over this afternoon. Going to try and clean the callipers too, I think they must have got dirt and much in there when I rode without a discbreak on the old wheel.
  • Psychotext 15 Dec 2012 15:54:45 55,032 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I don't want to stir the pot or anything, but last time they packed in some Tangfastics and a High5 sample sachet.
    Funnily enough, that's exactly what I got last time. Maybe they are making up for it now. :(
  • elstoof 15 Dec 2012 16:12:23 8,304 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think it depends on what you order too, I've had some wheels arrive that clearly didn't come from the central warehouse that most of its sent from. No sweets. I was gutted, they cost a fortune so I thought I would be a shoe in for some 10p sweeties.
  • MikeP 15 Dec 2012 19:50:16 2,075 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had my first remedial training/physioterrorist session this afternoon.

Got to say, it was really good. A routine very focussed on the muscular weaknesses in my back and core, and some very targeted stretches.

I'm a bit sore now, but good sore. :)

• Psychotext 17 Dec 2012 00:34:02 55,032 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bike got so packed with clay heavy mud today that I literally couldn't turn the wheels any more. I had to carry the bike out of the field on my shoulders. Couple of other sections had the same thing happen... but surprisingly the good bits actually made for one hell of a ride overall.

Had to cut it a bit short (didn't really plan for carrying my bike, fallen soldier style) but I'm looking forward to doing the whole thing when we get a bit of good weather again. :)

Edit - Spot the bits of the route I was either carrying or pushing the bike...

Edited by Psychotext at 00:41:51 17-12-2012
  • Trafford 17 Dec 2012 00:47:39 5,966 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Am jealous. Haven't had a proper trip out since end of October.
  • Page

of 375 First / Last