The cycling thread Page 176

• Page

of 357 First / Last

• shitfuckcunt 5 Dec 2012 22:38:41 7,358 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Most common folk don't.

CharlieStCloud - 500 seems a little steep! Personally I'd rather see some clearer guildlines. I've known people to get fined for having pulled over, handbrake up, checking a text message. Simply because that policewoman had a bee in her bonnet that evening.

Edited by graysonavich at 22:39:17 05-12-2012
  • CharlieStCloud 5 Dec 2012 22:44:59 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    500 seems a little steep!
    If a 50 fine doesn't bother most folk, 500 will give them a wake up call.
  • X201 5 Dec 2012 22:49:09 15,490 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If the engine is running then you are in control of the vehicle i.e driving it.
  • Psychotext 5 Dec 2012 23:09:54 54,240 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So is it worth a watch or will I end up wanting to go out and fuck some people up?
  • Trafford 5 Dec 2012 23:12:45 5,792 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    London seems like cyclist hell. It's worth a watch.
  • elstoof 5 Dec 2012 23:43:29 7,398 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    London's fine for cycling, the roads are well lit and drivers are used to having cyclists about. I've literally never had any aggro on the roads, but then I've never had any road rage or anything like that in a car either, I think some people just attract shit no matter how they get about the place. One thing I hear a lot happening outside the city is car drivers out to bother cyclists, chucking stuff, honking horn etc, I've seen it a bit out on long rides out of town but you never see that in London. Tons of cunts jumping red lights though, and lots of smug cyclists who's face I want to smash it with my KeO cleated up Sidi's.

Edited by elstoof at 23:44:27 05-12-2012
  • Trafford 6 Dec 2012 00:09:34 5,792 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I jest of course.
  • Psychotext 6 Dec 2012 00:15:18 54,240 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Unrelated to road foolery. On my three hour low heart rate session tonight I was able to sustain the same MPH as my previous best all out 30 minute run (that's from a couple of years back).

Freaky. Quite pleased with my progress.
  • Psychotext 6 Dec 2012 03:44:47 54,240 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow... that speccy guy in the vid comes across as a proper smug twat. Everyone else seems a bit more sympathetic.

The footage of the girl getting crushed was just horrible.
  • Deleted user 6 December 2012 08:44:03
    Psychotext wrote:
    The footage of the girl getting crushed was just horrible.
    Innit. Bra-fucking-vo to her mum though. No tabloid crusading or begging for sympathy, just cool, rational reasoning into solving the problems that allowed it to happen in the first place.
  • Trafford 6 Dec 2012 08:55:04 5,792 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What about Droidbot?
    His motivation was understandable.
  • MikeP 6 Dec 2012 09:00:58 1,870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Having commuted by bike in London on and off for 15 years or so, and pretty much every day for the last 3-4 years I actually think things are getting better.

I make a conscious effort to be as nice as possible. Life's too short to ride around raging about everything, I'd rather have a chat at the lights. It's amazing how something simple like letting a driver know they've got a blown brake light bulb builds a bit of common ground.

My experience is that the number of actual agressive idiots on the roads in London is very low. I've come across more aggro out on the open roads of Kent and Essex, but even that's very rare.

Edited by MikeP at 09:01:21 06-12-2012

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Deleted user 6 December 2012 09:13:10
    Only having experience of cycling in my rural part of the world, I can definitely say there is a lot of grief from motorists to cyclists, and also vice-versa. Been letters in the local paper for example. It possibly is worse due to the idea that cycling is more pleasurable in the countryside, so people group together to go riding, well the locals don't like that sort of thing.

Haven't watched the show yet, not sure if I will.
  • Deleted user 6 December 2012 09:17:37
    The show was actually a lot more balanced than I'd thought it might be. My main criticism was that it covered too much of how things are right now without looking back at the improvements made or what can be done to fix things further
  • MikeP 6 Dec 2012 10:04:03 1,870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    The show was actually a lot more balanced than I'd thought it might be. My main criticism was that it covered too much of how things are right now without looking back at the improvements made or what can be done to fix things further
    I think they did some editing, and I've heard the acting director general got involved once people started pointing out the show was breaking the BBC code of practice.

It certainly seems to have been toned down from the previews which people saw; that's what kicked it all off in the first place.

Presumably they were a bit scared of making any recommendations, it's easier just to look at footage and edit it into "people do the silliest things'

• Deleted user 6 December 2012 10:51:01
    It was odd, it was a documentary that was made up to have a twist. They made certain people look like dicks, but actually they came round in the most postivie light at the end. The lorry driver and droidbot in particular.

Then they had loads of people showing the other side of the coin argument as an attempt of reconcilliation. But it was worth watching just to get people talking about it.
  • Psychotext 6 Dec 2012 12:01:36 54,240 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One thing I did find fairly amusing was the cabbie saying he was no-where near the cyclist.

It's clear to me that cyclist turned into Mr Fantastic and stretched his arms out to give the taxi a slap. Or... maybe if the taxi was close enough for the cyclist to slap the door like that then he was a bit too close.
  • pistol 6 Dec 2012 12:33:28 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If anyone's interested I have a Specialized Romin Evo Pro saddle for sale in black, size 143mm. The model with carbon rails.

Had it a couple of months and virtually as new condition apart from some minor scuffs on the rear which were probably caused when rested against a wall. Had no crashes and looking for 60 incl postage.

Retail for 100

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9840520@N06/8247064604/in/photostream
  • Psychotext 6 Dec 2012 12:42:39 54,240 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice looking bit of kit.

Saddles aside, a question about country lanes. What do you guys do when you're cycling in them and a car appears behind you? (There's not space to safely overtake you)

Do you just keep going for it and force them to wait for a passing spot, or do you pull over and stop for a second to let them past?
  • pistol 6 Dec 2012 12:47:07 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Nice looking bit of kit.

Saddles aside, a question about country lanes. What do you guys do when you're cycling in them and a car appears behind you? (There's not space to safely overtake you)

Do you just keep going for it and force them to wait for a passing spot, or do you pull over and stop for a second to let them past?
    Depends..I get a lot of these lanes when I train around the Chilterns and more often than not there's a little layby so you can pull in. Otherwise I tend to keep going staying close to the edge. I'm usually tanking it so hopefully I'm not slowing them down too much. Often another car will be coming the other way and one of them stops, so I just push my bike past.

I haven't had anyone shouting at me yet and try to be as considerate as I can.
  • Psychotext 6 Dec 2012 12:54:10 54,240 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I guess my main problem is I can't really get up to the sorts of speeds that I could on a racer / hybrid (I'll normally push 20mph on the flat) so in order not to feel too guilty I'll usually pull over pretty quickly.

Some people thank me, others don't. I guess that's pretty normal.
  • Fab4 6 Dec 2012 13:10:19 6,083 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its not much better in semi-rural Netherlands, in terms of taking your life in your hands as a cyclist. If I could have a job that allowed me to go home after I'd seen 5 people run a (full) red light in their motor vehicle, and I started at 9am. I could probably be home by 9:45.
  • Trafford 6 Dec 2012 14:42:15 5,792 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I liked that coppers suggestion of carrying a whistle. Gonna get me an Acme Thunderer.
  • Megapocalypse 6 Dec 2012 14:45:39 5,433 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    He seemed like a complete tool. I'm sure there's a reason he's stuck on a bike.
  • pistol 6 Dec 2012 15:24:16 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    If anyone's interested I have a Specialized Romin Evo Pro saddle for sale in black, size 143mm. The model with carbon rails.

Had it a couple of months and virtually as new condition apart from some minor scuffs on the rear which were probably caused when rested against a wall. Had no crashes and looking for 60 incl postage.

Retail for 100

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9840520@N06/8247064604/in/photostream
    Saddle is now sold
  • MikeP 7 Dec 2012 19:48:52 1,870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've come back from a flexibility & core strength assessment with a trainer this evening.

Turns out that my suspicions are correct. Asymmetric flexibility in my back, very short hamstrings and not that much core strength.

She's working out an exercise plan to work on that alongside my turbo sessions. Hopefully it'll mean I can ride faster and in more comfort while reducing the chance of injury. Which is nice.

• elstoof 7 Dec 2012 21:42:23 7,398 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tight hams is a fairly common one for cyclists, I like giving them a good stretch with kettlebell windmills.

Hits the back and the core nicely as well.

Edited by elstoof at 21:43:20 07-12-2012
  • Page

of 357 First / Last