The cycling thread Page 171

• Page

of 359 First / Last

• Psychotext 27 Nov 2012 14:27:09 54,302 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just ordered myself some roadie style lycra shorts to use on my trainer. Crotch keeps going numb and it's really pissing me off, am hoping the higher end pad in these shorts helps.

Going to end up with my dick not working or something. :(
  • elstoof 27 Nov 2012 14:32:44 7,509 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd say its the saddle at fault more than anything. Enjoy the Lycra though, it feels purdy. Especially once you've shaved your legs.
  • Psychotext 27 Nov 2012 14:48:00 54,302 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've tried four different saddles. They all do it to a certain extent, some worse than others. Tried various tilts and positions too. Having the nose down quite a bit basically fixes it, but it's REALLY hard to cycle seated like that.

It's actually better without a pad at all but I get other soreness then. Can't seem to win.
  • Psychotext 27 Nov 2012 14:49:47 54,302 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, I went for these for what it's worth: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-race-cycling-short/

They've got a channel in them much like the better of my seats has, so I'm hoping that should ease a bit more pressure.

/punches self in crotch to keep feeling
  • elstoof 27 Nov 2012 14:56:35 7,509 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good excuse to get out of the saddle for more high tempo intervals at least. I never got on with those cutout saddles, they seem to just push the pressure elsewhere - much like those flat tummy knickers larger women wear. Selle Italia SLR seems to be the optimum saddle shape for me, long flat and thin profile, no cutout. There's a few saddles out there with a dropped nose but a flat rear section, might be a good shape for you.
  • Psychotext 27 Nov 2012 15:10:52 54,302 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, when I'm actually out or doing intervals it's fine, but it's when I'm doing work in zone 2 / zone 3 on the trainer where it starts to fuck me.
  • pistol 27 Nov 2012 15:14:45 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I've tried four different saddles. They all do it to a certain extent, some worse than others. Tried various tilts and positions too. Having the nose down quite a bit basically fixes it, but it's REALLY hard to cycle seated like that.

It's actually better without a pad at all but I get other soreness then. Can't seem to win.
    I feel your pain and it took me a while to rid the discomfort on long turbo sessions. I experimented with various saddles full stop and shorts, and went through various fizik's. I now have Specialized Romin Pro carbon's on both my bikes. There's no point recommending saddles or shorts as everyone is built differently and it'll come down to where your sit bones are in relation to saddle. I use similar Lycra shorts to the ones you've bought for turbo and either Assos or Castelli for on the road. It's personal choice though.

Edited by pistol at 15:16:26 27-11-2012
  • Psychotext 27 Nov 2012 15:16:45 54,302 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I might go for an ass fitting at a Specialized dealer, see what they suggest for me.
  • pistol 27 Nov 2012 15:18:18 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I might go for an ass fitting at a Specialized dealer, see what they suggest for me.
    I've done that before (ride with a guy that races for Specialized) and they can help and will get you close, but you're still better off experimenting with others too.
  • elstoof 27 Nov 2012 15:40:50 7,509 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a bloody costly trial and error process though isn't it. You think the big saddle makers would offer a testing period, say if you try an aliante and it doesn't work out bring it back and get an Antares and so forth, it'll at least keep you in the family.
  • pistol 27 Nov 2012 15:46:33 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    It's a bloody costly trial and error process though isn't it. You think the big saddle makers would offer a testing period, say if you try an aliante and it doesn't work out bring it back and get an Antares and so forth, it'll at least keep you in the family.
    Yep, definately, and finding the right saddle is the holy grail. A lot of pros keep the same one whichever bike or team.
  • elstoof 27 Nov 2012 15:53:32 7,509 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's great when you see a pro's dream machine with a tatty old regal plonked on the top ;)
  • Psychotext 27 Nov 2012 16:02:44 54,302 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice. :D
  • MikeP 27 Nov 2012 19:41:12 1,885 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    That's exactly what you can do with Fizik saddles, a proper dealer will lend you one for at least a weekend. They have uggers purple test saddles in all shapes and sizes. I borrowed one from Condor.

I find the Antares (the middle one) works best for me.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Deleted user 28 November 2012 10:39:28
    First time on the bike for 1 week 1 day, amazing how paranoid I get that I'm going to lose all my fitness in a week and flop over at the first hill! Really pleased as obviously I didn't and in fact went up my nemesis hill twice today. Ha take that hill, fucker! :D I beat you, I win I win I win!

Feels so good :)
  • elstoof 28 Nov 2012 11:02:44 7,509 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    First day back from a week or two break is awesome, getting back on after 2 weeks paternity I felt like I'd grown a new pair of legs. The day after that was shocking though.

MikeP: I didn't know they did that, it's a bloody good idea. Great shop as well Condor, one of the few places I'm actually glad to give my money to.
  • Deleted user 28 November 2012 11:15:01
    Did your legs feel stronger or weaker? Mine definitely felt like they had less oooomph today, but then after about half way I seemed to get a second wind maybe.

Just looking at the stat's on the endomondo site, it's quite interesting. There is a bit I've found rather hard and on the map it shows it is a very gradual but the biggest incline on the ride! I knew it was uphill, but not that much! No wonder I found it hard, it's very deceptive on the bike.
  • elstoof 28 Nov 2012 11:22:45 7,509 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stronger, even though i was feeling like a fat bloater after a few weeks of big lunches and cake, and too tired to be arsed to throw the kettlebell around. Probably psychological more than anything, but my muscle reserves were definitely well topped up at least ;)
  • Deleted user 28 November 2012 12:03:15
    I finding it hard to tell now, as when I first started cycling my legs really hurt when I was going up a hill, I mean any hill! Now though I never really get that pain that you're working your muscles hard, so I want to try and push a bit harder. May involve finding a tougher route, which might be a challenge in itself.
  • Deleted user 28 November 2012 12:36:25
    On a different note

Can overshoes go over regular trainer type shoes? I've been wearing an old pair of nike running shoes. Has anyone got any recomendations? The ratings on amazon are very variable. A lot of them seem to have dodgy zips.
  • elstoof 28 Nov 2012 12:36:46 7,509 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Go back down and climb it again.
  • elstoof 28 Nov 2012 12:41:10 7,509 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah they'll go over, they'll have a big hole in the bottom for cleats but that won't be any issue. Try some dhb ones from wiggle, should be fairly priced and their stuff is usually good quality. Don't expect completely dry feet though, from any brand, water goes down your leg into them. They will keep you warm though.
  • MikeP 28 Nov 2012 13:16:05 1,885 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whatever you do don't have socks poking above the overshoe, it just draws the water down in there in no time.

Also, at this point I'm going to reach into the depths of the well-worn cycling cliche cupboard and say to @apostle.

"It never gets easier, you just go faster." (Greg LeMond)

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• pistol 28 Nov 2012 16:05:47 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:

Were the 4 saddles all the same width?
  • Deleted user 28 November 2012 16:06:10
    MikeP wrote:
    I like that! Very true.

@elstoof - Oooh those dhb overshoes look really good. Excellent reviews on them too, brilliant. Thanks for the advice :)

Edited by Apostle at 16:08:28 28-11-2012
  • Psychotext 28 Nov 2012 18:29:30 54,302 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, I just grabbed a use Carrera Fury for the missus. Seems like a really nice bit of kit... sort of half tempted to steal it for myself. :D

@pistol: To a certain degree, though I've never used a really thin one for fear of losing it amongst my ample arse.
  • Psychotext 29 Nov 2012 03:19:12 54,302 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just checked, I have a fi'zi:k dealer near me and a "professional" in Bristol. Maybe I should pop in and ask them if they do the loaner saddles. Tried no padding today and the saddle slightly further forward and now I can't really sit down without hurting my tail bone. :(

I think the Specialized dealer is in Bristol too. Maybe I should take a day trip, need to get this crap sorted.
  • Psychotext 29 Nov 2012 03:29:12 54,302 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apparently WTB do it as well: http://www.wtb-bike.eu/en/test_ride.htm
  • Dougs 29 Nov 2012 06:30:40 68,052 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apostle wrote:
    MikeP wrote:
    I like that! Very true.

@elstoof - Oooh those dhb overshoes look really good. Excellent reviews on them too, brilliant. Thanks for the advice :)
    Heh, my times haven't really changed after the first 6 months or so when I was really unfit. It has got easier and can obviously go further but my times aren't too different. Probably down to not having any kind of idea of my cadence etc. My Christmas present will sort that out. :)
  • Psychotext 29 Nov 2012 17:40:54 54,302 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Neighbour just came over whilst I was in my garage and said that she'd had her Carrera mountain bike nicked from her garage recently. Sadly they leave it open from time to time for the window cleaner to go through and they reckon it must have been done then.

But I only just twigged that whilst she was telling me about her Carrera being nicked I happened to be putting the used Carrera which I had just (literally the day before) bought for my missus into the garage.

I... uhh...
  • Page

of 359 First / Last