The cycling thread Page 165

• Page

of 366 First / Last

• Psychotext 7 Nov 2012 22:43:52 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bradley Wiggins in hospital after "collision with vehicle". I hope it's not serious.

Edit - Apparently he's ok: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20246940

Edited by Psychotext at 23:13:23 07-11-2012
  • Fab4 8 Nov 2012 07:33:21 6,115 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds like she t-boned him...its a lovely experience. I've had it happen to me 3 times so far.
  • sport 8 Nov 2012 08:52:27 12,775 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is she French?
  • pistol 8 Nov 2012 11:01:00 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mal wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    Are you in the UK Lexxx?

It's nowhere near cold at the moment.
    Just you wait till the weekend!

Still, if you think it's too cold to cycle, you're not cycling hard enough!
    I train all through the winter and happy to do 3,4,5 hr rides with snow on the ground. Only thing I don't like is ice.
  • pistol 8 Nov 2012 11:03:25 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    Apostle wrote:
    Fuck me I've learned the hard way. My feet and hand were killing me today. The wind chill was vicious at the top of the hills. I've just spent 60 on a wind proof jacket, gloves and a pump with pressure gauge, but I don't know what I can buy to keep my feet dry and warm? Any advice guys? Also used the endomodo app for the first time today. Wasn't sure if it would have GPS signal the whole way through the forest, but it was faultless! Turns out I've been cycling 10.3 miles on my normal route, two miles more than I estimated looking at Google maps. Well chuffed. Burnt 1245 calories too, just got to not eat any more now I know that! I thought it was way less. Only thing I feel a bit down about is I've been getting nauseous at the start of my cycle, usually after the first big effort up a hill. This fades and I seem to get a second wind after an hour cycling, but its annoying as I can't push as hard as I'd like.
    Hi Apostle. I'd take those calorie calculations with a grain of salt. My garmin has me doing about 100 calories per mile, I think the reality is more like 60-70 c/pm.

Especially on cold mornings I feel pretty rotten for the first mile or so too, being well hydrated and having eaten at least 30 mins before seems to help.

Wish I knew the answer to the cold feet issue. Got a pair of these for this winter, but I fear the reality is in winter you're going to get cold no matter what you do.
    Garmin's are a fair way out and you're closer at around 40 calories per hour.
  • pistol 8 Nov 2012 11:06:08 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Neoprene overshoes do a good job of keeping feet warm, water usually works its way in any overshoes eventually by running down your leg but if your overshoes are made of wetsuit material that won't matter.

Glove wise, you can get these in neoprene too and they do a bang up job of keeping you warm while crucially being much thinner and less bulky than traditional hard shell + liner gloves. These are very much love hate gloves though, you need to put them on a minute or two before the ride so you can build up a layer of moisture inside then once you head out they stay warm. They also stay with a thin layer of moisture however, and you might not like the feeling. And they can stick a bit, turn them inside out after every ride and rinse with water if possible to alleviate this. Castelli make cycle specific ones or you can get cheaper kayak gloves for about a tenner that do the saem job.
    I use various gloves, including a Neoprone pair by castelli. They're ok for a couple of hours and as said above, won'r release moisture so if it's cold they're not the best. I may use them later Autumn/early winter but not for long rides.

Edited by pistol at 11:15:44 08-11-2012
  • pistol 8 Nov 2012 11:12:23 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    urban wrote:
    looking for a good single speed wheel set. recommendations?
    Wiggins is sensible..he knows the stars were aligned when he won his TDF. No Contador, less severe climbs, much more time-trialling etc. Froome was there to support him for that win but I think most people soon realised that Froome could have possibly won the title as well, but he did what he was supposed to do and support Wiggo.

Next year would be much tougher for Wiggins, especially with Contador back, and he'll have a better chance at the Giro. Although personally I'm not convinced. The climbs are much steeper and it doesn't suit him. Be good to see him get the pink jersey but I'm not sure he will.

Froome is a better bet for the 2013 tour and even Contador has come out and said Froome is his main threat.

Edited by pistol at 11:17:14 08-11-2012
  • Psychotext 8 Nov 2012 11:15:08 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've got a set of full finger gloves by Gore which are waterproof and windproof. They're absolutely fantastic but you wouldn't want to wear them at anything more than 5 degrees.
  • pistol 8 Nov 2012 11:36:49 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I've got a set of full finger gloves by Gore which are waterproof and windproof. They're absolutely fantastic but you wouldn't want to wear them at anything more than 5 degrees.
    I like Gore stuff. Had bib-shorts in the past and currently have some light overshoes and Gore fingerless. I have neoprone overshoes when it's very wet.

Edited by pistol at 11:37:44 08-11-2012
  • pistol 8 Nov 2012 11:38:45 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Bradley Wiggins in hospital after "collision with vehicle". I hope it's not serious.

Edit - Apparently he's ok: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20246940
    I think it's just ribs from what I've read, and those only take 6-8 weeks to heel. He'll be alright I'm sure.

Edited by pistol at 11:39:06 08-11-2012
  • Deleted user 8 November 2012 11:52:12
    Sorry to hear about Wiggins, but I'm not surprised. Personally it's one of the reasons I like doing mountain biking through the forest instead of road cycling (would like to give it a try at some point), it really worries me. I walk my dog every night and the amount of shit driving I see is stunning, and I don't even live in a city or big town.

Has anyone tried following a route on the endomodo app? First of all it showed up fine, but then I reset it as I had to cycle to where the route began, then the route on the map disappeared! I spent at least two miles going down the wrong track thanks to the Forestry Commission's lack of decent signposting. Still, I don't mind doing a bit of exploring.
  • Psychotext 8 Nov 2012 12:34:56 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you're going to do that regularly I strongly suggest getting a dedicated GPS. Even something as cheap as an eTrex 10 would probably do (go for an eTrex 30 though, they're far better).
  • gang_of_bitches 8 Nov 2012 13:32:29 5,637 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pistol wrote:

Do you mean 400? I'm a fat fucker and because I'm in denial even my Garmin doesn't know my true weight, so about 5% of the inaccuracy has already been factored out.
  • Psychotext 8 Nov 2012 13:56:47 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    400 calories per hour wouldn't even be close for a fat fucker. :D
  • pistol 8 Nov 2012 14:00:16 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    pistol wrote:

Do you mean 400? I'm a fat fucker and because I'm in denial even my Garmin doesn't know my true weight, so about 5% of the inaccuracy has already been factored out.
    Sorry, mean't 40 calories per mile. I go through 4000 calories or so on a 100 mile Sportive.
  • Psychotext 8 Nov 2012 14:07:09 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's the best part of long rides... eating what the fuck you want afterward. ;)
  • Psychotext 8 Nov 2012 14:43:51 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What the hell is going on on the roads?

British cycling head coach Shane Sutton has been diagnosed with bleeding on the brain after a bike crash in Manchester.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20255862
  • MikeP 8 Nov 2012 16:48:58 1,942 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not good is it? If you want a clear insight into human stupidity check out the @cyclehatred Twitter account. Retweets of mostly young, dumb, self-centered idiots.

Moving swiftly on, for those of you living in London's fashionable North London, there's a free Dr. Bike checkover service happening on Saturday, courtesy of LCC. It's at the Tufnell Park farmer's market from around 12 until 2.

I've volunteered as a mechanic.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• motti82 8 Nov 2012 17:02:36 2,897 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Where Wiggins got done is a known black spot for accidents.

As it's dark early, I wear my reflective stuff and put my lights on, morning and afternoon. I was disgusted on how many cyclists were riding on a busy dual carriageway in Manc (princess parkway) with no lights, no helmet and nothing reflective, and dark clothing.

It's no surprise that there are accidents at this time of year, just careless
  • gang_of_bitches 8 Nov 2012 18:04:35 5,637 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    pistol wrote:

Sorry, mean't 40 calories per mile. I go through 4000 calories or so on a 100 mile Sportive.
    Anything over 80 miles is an Audax in my book :)

I'm literally 18 stone, so especially on any kind of gradient I really have to put out a lot of power to keep up. if an average person is burning 40 calories per mile I'd imagine I must be up around 60. It's all academic really, as long as I continue to eat and drink too much I'll have to be doing 200 miles a week on the bike for it to make significant difference.
  • Psychotext 8 Nov 2012 18:20:58 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh a random note for pistol... I looked up the Marmotte course on gpsies.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!?! :eek:
  • elstoof 8 Nov 2012 18:35:01 7,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow that @cyclehatred is packed full of gems. I had to stop reading, I could feel myself getting far too angry with every single one of those cunts.
  • Deleted user 8 November 2012 18:54:27
    Psychotext wrote:
    If you're going to do that regularly I strongly suggest getting a dedicated GPS. Even something as cheap as an eTrex 10 would probably do (go for an eTrex 30 though, they're far better).
    Sounds good, but I'm holding off spending any major money until next year. If I'm still cycling by summer I want to get a new bike, or frame, a lighter one, plus all sorts of other odds and ends. I honestly didn't think it would be so expensive! Enjoying it though.
  • Psychotext 8 Nov 2012 22:01:00 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, it's a very middle class sort of past-time unfortunately.
  • Trafford 8 Nov 2012 23:26:18 5,879 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Doesn't have to be that way.
    You can't buy skills or stamina.
  • Psychotext 9 Nov 2012 00:05:41 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not even talking about the good stuff. Even the entry level equipment is very expensive compared to say, playing football, squash or golf. That's before you're bought a rack for your car, spare tubes, decent shorts, shoes, lube, helmet, lights and so on.

I'd expect anyone starting out to spend 300 as an absolute minimum, and that's pretty much just getting a bike that has reasonable brakes, suspension and doesn't weigh 20kg + (because you're not going to be having fun on a bike that heavy unless it's all downhill).

Road biking is somewhat cheaper of course, but you're still looking at a not insignificant outlay vs many other, far cheaper hobbies. Though I would be far more confident getting a used road bike than a used mountain bike.

Edited by Psychotext at 00:06:15 09-11-2012
  • X201 9 Nov 2012 00:09:42 15,586 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Wow that @cyclehatred is packed full of gems. I had to stop reading, I could feel myself getting far too angry with every single one of those cunts.
    There are arseholes on both sides.
    If I Tweet about the cyclist I saw tonight, would cyclehatred retweet it and portray me as someone who hates cyclists?

cyclehatred is just as bad as the prats its retweeting. Its turning it into an us versus them argument, and that makes finding a solution harder because people then have to give up some of the things they were arguing over.

As an aside: The cyclist I saw was cycling in the dark, dressed in a black Sky top with black trousers, a weakly flashing rear light and no front light.
  • Psychotext 9 Nov 2012 00:12:25 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As a cyclist I often want to run those sorts of cyclists over on principal.

Just a gentle mangling to stop them giving the rest of us a bad name. :(
  • elstoof 9 Nov 2012 00:24:29 7,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did you wish he was crushed under a lorry? Because that's the sort of shit I saw on there which makes me sick. Just because there's pricks in all walks of life isn't justification. Trying to educate someone who's got their attire all wrong is a good thing, threatening to run someone on a bike over because they have the nerve to cycle on a road without "paying tax" is quite another. Last week I had some cabbie beep away at me because I was sat in front of him at a red light when I should clearly have been in the sliver of cycle lane at the left hand side. That I might be turning right didn't occur to that plonker, I'm sure he still drive off feeling like he'd done some sort of civil duty by putting me in my place somehow. I'm not a fan of the ninjas you see out on roads at night, but I think these guys are just badly prepared and educated. Cunts in cars being cunts are just cunts.

Not all drivers of cars obviously, just the cunty ones. I'm a driver myself, like most cyclists probably.
  • Psychotext 9 Nov 2012 00:27:50 54,402 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't say there are many people I would wish crushed under a lorry... but these sorts of people aren't alien to me, they're part of the reason I wont cycle on the road unless I absolutely have to.

They've already won that battle with me and I can't see anything happening to change my mind in the future (maybe driver-less cars, but that's 50 years off and I'll be dead by then).
  • Page

of 366 First / Last