The cycling thread Page 156

• Page

of 321 First / Last

• elstoof 5 Oct 2012 22:10:56 6,138 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good stuff Mike, looking forward to the finished article. Would you recommend the course?

I hate to think what the Baylis frame costs, I'd imagine its fairly steep considering he's living off 4 sales per year. Looking into his background it seems he started up Masi bikes in the 70's, I've heard of them here and there, so he's got a good 40 years experience or so.

A bit closer to home there's also Mercian bikes in Sheffield doing some lovely lugwork, their Vincitore Special is a beaut.

http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/frames/37/vincitore-vincitore-special
  • MikeP 8 Oct 2012 13:56:50 1,675 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, I finished the frame and fork. However, I have some very mixed feelings about the course.

I would judge myself (without being too boastful) as being pretty competent when it comes to making things. But 6 days feels incredibly short, and there's no time to get back on track if anything goes wrong. Which, as novices, they will.

I ended up with a frame that's straight and rideable, but still needs finishing off and has several mistakes. However, seeing as a week ago I'd never even picked up an oxy-acetylene torch or done any real metalwork that's probably a pretty big achievement.

I feel now that I could safely go on and build my own frame and fork independently, and that if I worked on it I'd get a lot neater. I am a bit of a perfectionist, but I was so tired that by the end of Saturday I actually felt disheartened, rather than pleased. Which isn't like me.

I'll post some pics up soon.

The problem is that there really are very few people who teach it. There's Downland, where I went, The Bicycle Academy, and Dave Yates. However, the latter is booked up until into 2014.

The guys at Downland are obviously skilled fabricactors, but it wasn't really the student - tutor kind of deal I was anticipating. If it was my course I wouldn't run it the way they did. They are thinking of doing a two week "pro" course next year, but I think that's actually probably more realistic for the beginner course. I want to know why I'm doing something, as well as just doing it - I felt I was pumping them for information at times.
  • elstoof 8 Oct 2012 15:02:45 6,138 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's a shame really, I can see why you'd be frustrated. Where I work we take on students from time to time who want to learn a bit of the craft behind their theory, spending a day a week or so helping out. There's no real structure to what we show them because they basically do what we need to do on the day and I can't see them gaining much but hey, they don't pay and it looks good on their cv. Sounds like the course was a bit like that - here's the stuff, here's how it works now get on with it. Great if you're an apprentice and do it day in day out, not so good for a set course with limited time.
  • gang_of_bitches 11 Oct 2012 09:10:45 4,932 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just been reading the Armstrong articles in the Times. Looks like he'll be very lucky to avoid some jail time. The USADA report paints him as a drug peddler who perjured himself on multiple occasions.

Great radio interview with Greg LeMond here.
  • kalel 11 Oct 2012 09:19:26 83,874 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Who was it on here that was absolutely convinced of his innocence?

Biggest sporting cheat of all time. Disgrace .
  • Scurrminator Moderator 11 Oct 2012 09:25:14 8,285 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Saracen urban studio 74 came through last week. After riding Hard tail MTBs forever this felt extremely rough. I'm used to it now and it's great for my commute.
    Hope no bastard nicks this one...

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Psychotext 11 Oct 2012 13:03:32 52,777 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This amused me...

Guy knows how to take a fall. :)
  • cubbymoore 11 Oct 2012 13:45:48 36,441 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kalel

I wonder if there's any link to taking steroids and getting testicular cancer.
  • ecureuil 11 Oct 2012 13:48:46 76,016 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I watched the Tour de France every year that he won, and I cheered him on too. Fucks sake. This is a terrible thing to happen to cycling after the great year the sport has had in this country.

Edited by ecureuil at 13:48:56 11-10-2012
  • pistol 11 Oct 2012 16:14:53 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    Just been reading the Armstrong articles in the Times. Looks like he'll be very lucky to avoid some jail time. The USADA report paints him as a drug peddler who perjured himself on multiple occasions.

Great radio interview with Greg LeMond here.
    I read the 200 page USADA report yesterday.

Tis a good read.
  • oceanmotion 11 Oct 2012 16:28:23 15,243 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wonder who else they will go after because I find it hard to believe American Football, Baseball etc. is clean. Square jaw central. I imagine it starts before they even become professionals.
  • Trafford 11 Oct 2012 16:30:44 5,270 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    This amused me...

Guy knows how to take a fall. :)

Yeah, same guy has done one on bike theft.
  • MikeP 12 Oct 2012 10:02:50 1,675 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In happier cycling news, this is one of the cutest things I've seen in ages. What happens when you stick a GoPro on the head of your 4-year old son and take him trail riding?

His commentary is sweet.

• gang_of_bitches 12 Oct 2012 10:57:21 4,932 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @MikeP

That's cool, but judging by his shadow he's either the biggest 4 year old of all time, or not 4.

Here's a bigger kid demonstrating that you don't actually need a different bike for each activity.

• elstoof 12 Oct 2012 11:36:17 6,138 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That Ashton guy is incredible, apparently didn't even break a wheel when filming that.
  • MikeP 12 Oct 2012 12:52:15 1,675 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Ashton video is truly amazing, shame about the terrible WD-40 nonsense at the end.

I think the shadow's getting pretty distorted due to the lens on the downhill vid. You can see how weeny his bike is when he comes off it at about 4:10.
  • MikeP 12 Oct 2012 12:55:40 1,675 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And seeing how it's video Friday :) I presume you've seen these two cyclocross videos?

*presses 2 on the keyboard for an indefinite period*
  • gang_of_bitches 12 Oct 2012 13:20:57 4,932 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MikeP wrote:

I think the shadow's getting pretty distorted due to the lens on the downhill vid. You can see how weeny his bike is when he comes off it at about 4:10.
    Yup, maybe you're right. I'm just in denial about a kid that young being so good on a bike.
  • Psychotext 12 Oct 2012 16:40:59 52,777 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    That Ashton guy is incredible, apparently didn't even break a wheel when filming that.
    I can't even... just... I... :o
  • elstoof 12 Oct 2012 16:56:04 6,138 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The wheels are Hope 5.0 carbon clinchers, so you can put them on your Xmas list.
  • MikeP 12 Oct 2012 18:23:45 1,675 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For those of who fit into the convicts of the road category, there's a 100km ride out from the Rapha cafe in London's fashionable Soho at 9am Saturday. Heading out into Slurrey and around Box Hill, then back, terminating at Richmond Park.

I'm planning on going along. If you happen to come along too, I'm the one with a big beard. In Rapha gear. This might not narrow things down that much :/
  • Psychotext 12 Oct 2012 18:53:57 52,777 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished reading the frame building blog. I could have sworn I'd read a review of each of the courses available in on of my mags but I can't seem to find it... was going to link it to see if your opinion lined up. Oh well.

Are you planning on trying another one? Maybe honing your skills? Seems like you might be leaving some things unresolved (mentally if nothing else).

Edit - Did you list this one in your frame building course list?

http://www.bicycles-by-design.co.uk/services/frame-building-courses

Edited by Psychotext at 18:57:26 12-10-2012
  • Psychotext 12 Oct 2012 20:46:18 52,777 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bicymple, the answer to a question no-one asked.
  • gang_of_bitches 13 Oct 2012 06:36:22 4,932 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @MikeP

Enjoy it Mike. Would tag along, but meeting up with a long lost school mate.
  • gang_of_bitches 13 Oct 2012 07:42:07 4,932 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Psychotext

That's a freaky looking machine.
  • MikeP 13 Oct 2012 13:42:38 1,675 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Just finished reading the frame building blog. I could have sworn I'd read a review of each of the courses available in on of my mags but I can't seem to find it... was going to link it to see if your opinion lined up. Oh well.

Are you planning on trying another one? Maybe honing your skills? Seems like you might be leaving some things unresolved (mentally if nothing else).

Edit - Did you list this one in your frame building course list?

http://www.bicycles-by-design.co.uk/services/frame-building-courses
    I'm going to finish up this frame and definitely build more. I've spoken to a few people who felt a similar way to me, that the time is a bit rushed.

There were a few unresolved things; I think the courses need to be very clear about what you can expect out of them. That's probably why I didn't feel as happy as I expected, there's a mismatch between what you think you'll get and what you do get.

Still, I've learnt a load of news skills, and most importantly I feel confident I could make a safe, good-riding frame on my own now, which fundamentally is what I wanted to do.

I wish I'd known about Swallow bikes; initial impression are they are more in line with what I expected.

Edited by MikeP at 13:50:18 13-10-2012
  • Bremenacht 13 Oct 2012 14:48:16 15,753 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Bicymple, the answer to a question no-one asked.
    That's almost a unicycle, bar the freewheel.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Fab4 15 Oct 2012 09:00:38 5,691 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can anyone help me identify an annoying clicking noise on my bike?

I recently changed the chain and chain-ring and for the first few weeks the bike was running really smooth. Now however I get an annoying clicking noise when I press down on the pedal (when its at its apex) which feels like the chain is slipping over the ring. Have I done something wrong?

Edited by Fab4 at 09:00:58 15-10-2012
  • elstoof 15 Oct 2012 09:03:10 6,138 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Grease the chainring bolts and retighten them, they might be a bit loose and flexy when you put the power down.
  • elstoof 15 Oct 2012 09:04:44 6,138 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Failing that, your cassette might be shot. Have a look for very deep notches on your favourite cog compared to one you never use.
  • Page

of 321 First / Last