The cycling thread Page 154

  • Page

    of 355 First / Last

  • Dougs 23 Sep 2012 13:29:53 67,664 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, what's the best way to bleed hydraulic brakes? Most online guides suggest a bleed pipe attached to the bleed nipple, with a bag in the end of the pipe and then pumped through using the brake lever. LBS suggested a syringe and drawing it through though? Not that I have a suitable size bit of pipe at the mo....
  • MikeP 23 Sep 2012 17:25:21 1,862 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @elstoof Yeah, it's funny but my local club (Finsbury Park CC) actually start their rides in Potters Bar, which is miles away. Also, they come across as very serious cycling business.

    PSN ID: Mikenetic

  • elstoof 23 Sep 2012 22:36:18 7,293 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FP would be my closest club too, all the clubs in the area seem to start off up in potters bar for some reason - southgate cc, willesden cc...
  • Psychotext 23 Sep 2012 23:10:41 54,171 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    So, what's the best way to bleed hydraulic brakes? Most online guides suggest a bleed pipe attached to the bleed nipple, with a bag in the end of the pipe and then pumped through using the brake lever. LBS suggested a syringe and drawing it through though? Not that I have a suitable size bit of pipe at the mo....
    The Shimano method is best if you ask me (you obviously need compatible gear). You basically attach a reservoir (sold at various place) to a port at the top of the system and you squeeze fluid in using a syringe at the caliper. Very simple, no mess.
  • Dougs 24 Sep 2012 09:19:56 67,664 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    These are Tektro brakes - having finally bothered to look at the instructions, that's basically what they suggest too - with a tube attached to a bag at the reservoir at the top end. I was looking at it the other way round, thinking I would push oil through from the top to bottom. Still need tubing though, tubes at my local aquatics centre were too big!

    Edit: Looks like washer hose is about the right size...

    Edited by Dougs at 09:37:59 24-09-2012
  • Psychotext 24 Sep 2012 11:13:32 54,171 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The tube they use for air pumps in fish tanks should be perfect too.
  • Dougs 24 Sep 2012 11:22:04 67,664 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, that's what I thought, but as I say, they were too big from the first place I looked (mainly ponds as opposed to tanks)! Only concern is that without the nozzle that fits the reservoir at the lever end, it could get messy. Might have to suck it up and buy the Tektro bleed kit for that alone.

    Got a bit of grace though, even just opening the lever reservoir up has somehow given me a bit more power which was sorely lacking - didn't fancy taking it out in the wet otherwise!

    Really, really should get round to buying that maintenance manual! LBS wanted 15 to do both brakes, sod that!

    Edit: Have asked CRC whether the Shimano funnel fits Tektro reservoirs!

    Edited by Dougs at 11:26:00 24-09-2012
  • Salaman 24 Sep 2012 11:29:45 19,037 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:
    anyone been watching the championships. Tony martin has just over took contador on a time trial. madness.
    Not that much of a suprise. Contador will be a little fatigued from winning the vuelta and he's bound to be a little off his peak having been out for 6 months.
    Sunday's race was great! The tension on the last lap in the run up to the Cauberg was really something. They were flying towards the decider hill at about 68 km/h at that point.

    It'll be nice to see Gilbert in the rainbow jersey the next 12 months. He salvaged his poor season start yesterday.
  • Deleted user 24 September 2012 13:15:13
    So... did the London to Brighton off road BHF event on Saturday.

    Great fun - only the middle third felt like proper mountain biking. The first third was on the Thames Path and most of the last part was on the Downs Link.

    Two big ole hills though including one near the end at about 70 miles which was a bit of a killer. Nice at the top though to be able to look down over Brighton from above.

    Two weeks of dry weather made it nice - biggest problem was dust. Had it been wet I imagine parts of it would have been stupidly muddy with 1500 bikes going past!

    Edited by Alipan at 13:15:58 24-09-2012
  • Deleted user 24 September 2012 13:46:34
    Salaman wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:
    anyone been watching the championships. Tony martin has just over took contador on a time trial. madness.
    Not that much of a suprise. Contador will be a little fatigued from winning the vuelta and he's bound to be a little off his peak having been out for 6 months.
    Sunday's race was great! The tension on the last lap in the run up to the Cauberg was really something. They were flying towards the decider hill at about 68 km/h at that point.

    It'll be nice to see Gilbert in the rainbow jersey the next 12 months. He salvaged his poor season start yesterday.
    I havn't seen it yet. was at work. Saw the womans race though which was not bad. Vos had a great rider.

    Saw the mens results though. With the cauberg the three people i had in mind were Gilbert, Eddy Boss and Sagin. Two out of three ain't bad :)

    Sort of really like those courses, what i call the proper racers come out to play and its a lot of fun.
  • Dougs 24 Sep 2012 13:47:24 67,664 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bike stands. Worth the extra cash, or will one much cheaper than this still do the job (as it were)?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Tool-Mechanic-Repair-Stand/dp/B000OZFJTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348490624&sr=8-1
  • Psychotext 24 Sep 2012 13:55:37 54,171 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I got a really good one for cheap... let me see if I can find what it's called.
  • Psychotext 24 Sep 2012 13:56:53 54,171 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raleigh-Folding-Work-Stand/dp/B001F0QE9K/ref=pd_cp_sg_0

    Didn't pay that much, but still a really good deal.
  • MikeP 24 Sep 2012 13:58:26 1,862 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Bike stands. Worth the extra cash, or will one much cheaper than this still do the job (as it were)?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Tool-Mechanic-Repair-Stand/dp/B000OZFJTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348490624&sr=8-1
    Buy once, buy well :) A good stand should last for ever.

    Unfortunately I can say from experience that the Park stand you're linking to isn't up to their normally quality. Which is a shame.

    I have this one http://www.evanscycles.com/products/feedback-sports/sport-mechanic-bicycle-repair-station-ec011372

    Which I think is great, and folds pretty small.

    For a bit less I'd look at this:

    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/raleigh/folding-work-stand-ec023507

    Edited by MikeP at 13:59:10 24-09-2012

    PSN ID: Mikenetic

  • Psychotext 24 Sep 2012 14:03:24 54,171 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone ever had a professional bike fitting done? Thinking of getting it for my nephew (every tweak I made had him whining about something new).

    Hoping that if a pro does it he'll just assume it's perfect and whine about something else entirely.

    LBS near me seems to use this system: http://www.bikefitting.com/English/Systems/Standard.aspx
  • Salaman 24 Sep 2012 14:15:59 19,037 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Salaman wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:
    anyone been watching the championships. Tony martin has just over took contador on a time trial. madness.
    Not that much of a suprise. Contador will be a little fatigued from winning the vuelta and he's bound to be a little off his peak having been out for 6 months.
    Sunday's race was great! The tension on the last lap in the run up to the Cauberg was really something. They were flying towards the decider hill at about 68 km/h at that point.

    It'll be nice to see Gilbert in the rainbow jersey the next 12 months. He salvaged his poor season start yesterday.
    I havn't seen it yet. was at work. Saw the womans race though which was not bad. Vos had a great rider.

    Saw the mens results though. With the cauberg the three people i had in mind were Gilbert, Eddy Boss and Sagin. Two out of three ain't bad :)

    Sort of really like those courses, what i call the proper racers come out to play and its a lot of fun.
    I was possibly expecting Voeckler and Sagan was there in the one but last round. Followed perfectly on a countered attack. So you can make it 2.5 out of 3. =)
  • X201 24 Sep 2012 14:20:13 15,370 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm going to the CycleShow at the NEC at the weekend, managed to not buy anything last year* will attempt the same feat this year.



    *Except a very expensive sandwich.

    Edited by X201 at 14:20:41 24-09-2012
  • Dougs 24 Sep 2012 14:24:17 67,664 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers Mike and Psycho

    Edit: Raleigh one is 55 at Amazon :)

    Edited by Dougs at 15:02:44 24-09-2012
  • Psychotext 24 Sep 2012 14:56:56 54,171 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes... I linked it a post before his. :p

    That aside, this is quite informative for roadies: http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/animations/lane-control/

    I must say that I've never been comfortable riding that far out (the savvy cyclist section), even though I know you should own the road.

    Edited by Psychotext at 14:58:17 24-09-2012
  • Dougs 24 Sep 2012 14:57:40 67,664 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah whoops! :)
  • Trafford 24 Sep 2012 16:17:40 5,791 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Made a lucky call on Sunday morning. Waking up from our overnight bivy in the Cheviots, I called an easy day and a fry up somewhere.10 miles down the valley instead of a 20ish loop back to the car.
    Just rolling back into the carpark when my freewheel broke. I would have been seriously screwed if we'd been more adventurous.

    Amazing weekend, there's a section of the Pennine way that is also a bridleway, it's a paved track running along the Scottish border on a ridge. A real money shot for the picturesque.
  • pistol 24 Sep 2012 16:29:38 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Anyone ever had a professional bike fitting done? Thinking of getting it for my nephew (every tweak I made had him whining about something new).

    Hoping that if a pro does it he'll just assume it's perfect and whine about something else entirely.

    LBS near me seems to use this system: http://www.bikefitting.com/English/Systems/Standard.aspx
    Yes, I've had two over the last five years and well worth it. Even the slightest tweak can make a lot of difference if the fitter knows what they are doing. I've had a BG fit with Specialized (one of my training partners does them) plus I've been fitted by the BikeWhisperer. Both very good with similar approaches, and BW was taught by Steve Hogg who is one of the advisors for cyclingnews.

    I personally wouldn't bother with any fits that cost less than 50.00 though. You need to spend a few hundred or so I think to get a decent fit. Plus the like of Specialized or BikeWhisperer will offer a free consultation after the first fit.

    Edited by pistol at 16:31:53 24-09-2012
  • Psychotext 24 Sep 2012 17:16:22 54,171 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've seen that they seem to scale up quite a lot from the basic (your seat height must be X and your seat should go X back) to the full on (we're going to measure almost every part of you, calculate a bunch of angles and then tell you exactly what length all the different bits on your bike should be).

    I wouldn't mind having my cleats set-up properly too. I'm not getting any pain from mine (nor any pain in my legs) but they definitely don't quite feel right to me since I put in a new pair.

    Oh, and unrelated, Aldi's cycling gear is in store again on the 27th: http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week39Thursday12.htm

    Edited by Psychotext at 17:20:24 24-09-2012
  • mal 24 Sep 2012 17:54:31 22,525 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    That aside, this is quite informative for roadies: http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/animations/lane-control/

    I must say that I've never been comfortable riding that far out (the savvy cyclist section), even though I know you should own the road.
    Screw doing that on an A road in a big city. If I did that and stopped a car from overtaking me because there was oncoming traffic, they'd beep me because at least as that as they're concerned, there's room for all three of us if I just move over a bit. Probably get stuff thrown at me too.

    I find it much more comfortable to move out if I'm matching speed with the traffic around me or on quieter country roads with less traffic but higher speeds. In the country, I want to make absolutely sure that whoever's coming up behind me at 25mph in excess on my speed can see me as early as possible.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • Bremenacht 24 Sep 2012 18:41:30 18,220 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    That aside, this is quite informative for roadies: http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/animations/lane-control/

    I must say that I've never been comfortable riding that far out (the savvy cyclist section), even though I know you should own the road.
    Screw doing that on an A road in a big city. If I did that and stopped a car from overtaking me because there was oncoming traffic, they'd beep me because at least as that as they're concerned, there's room for all three of us if I just move over a bit. Probably get stuff thrown at me too.

    I find it much more comfortable to move out if I'm matching speed with the traffic around me or on quieter country roads with less traffic but higher speeds. In the country, I want to make absolutely sure that whoever's coming up behind me at 25mph in excess on my speed can see me as early as possible.
    I agree with that - it's how I behave. If I was stuck behind some old bag in a Micra doing 20mph (in country lanes) for miles, failing to move over when opportunities arise, I'd be fuming. Why should this be any different on a bike?

    I also move into the whatever position gives me the best visibility on country lanes, or whatever position gives drivers a greater braking distance in which to slow. I also check behind as often as I do in a car.

    Edited by Bremenacht at 18:42:47 24-09-2012
  • pistol 25 Sep 2012 09:59:16 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I've seen that they seem to scale up quite a lot from the basic (your seat height must be X and your seat should go X back) to the full on (we're going to measure almost every part of you, calculate a bunch of angles and then tell you exactly what length all the different bits on your bike should be).

    I wouldn't mind having my cleats set-up properly too. I'm not getting any pain from mine (nor any pain in my legs) but they definitely don't quite feel right to me since I put in a new pair.

    Oh, and unrelated, Aldi's cycling gear is in store again on the 27th: http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week39Thursday12.htm
    Professional bikes fits are good for all sorts of reasons but the bottom line is it depends how serious you are.

    I did quite well without one for a few years and you can get yourself pretty close with a turbo and some common sense, but after a few years my goals were different and I wanted to get fitted properly to try and make myself faster and more efficient on sportives. You really don't appreciate how good a fit can be until you've been on the bike for a few hours. For example, I fitted myself in the early days and was ok for 2-3 hours. Once I started getting into 4-5 hours I felt there could be improvements made in my position. A fit corrected a few minor issues and from there I just felt more comfortable. I couldn't imagine doing something like the Marmotte (9-10 hours in saddle) on a bike that was only "nearly right".

    Getting your cleats set up properly is one of the most important things to do, and both my fits were from the cleats up. Fits will ensure you are as efficient as possible on the bike and even before the fit starts a good fitter will check how flexible you are before you even get on the bike. You could have exactly the same measurements as another rider but they could be a bit more flexible than you in some areas. This would mean a slightly different set-up.

    The cheaper end of the fitting market I find is little more than sticking you on a turbo and putting basic formulaic measurements and that's not good enough. Everyone is built differently.

    So back to my original point, it depends how serious you are and what you want out of it.
  • Psychotext 25 Sep 2012 12:11:35 54,171 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not particularly serious at all, but, I certainly want to increase my comfort on the bike and reduce the likelihood of injuries (I'm an old man now, everything takes so long to heal).

    But yeah, I want to be able to do 6 or so hours as comfortably as possible so I guess it's not a bad bet.
  • Psychotext 26 Sep 2012 22:52:12 54,171 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just did three hours on the turbo. My butt hurts. :(
  • Dougs 27 Sep 2012 16:41:52 67,664 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It appears I have failed the man test. Bleeding these brakes is more problematic than I thought.... Thought I'd sorted it once with minimal fuss, couldn't see any air end to end, but they were still spongey. Spoke to the LBS and they thought that as the bleed nipple ony brakes is at the bottom of the caliper, it's likely air was still trapped inside the caliper.

    So I took the caliper off and dropped it so the nipple was higher and tried again. This time was a disaster, with the tubing coming off numerous times until there was mineral oil everywhere! Ended up with me in a huff and brakes that def don't work! Will have another go tomorrow....
  • Psychotext 27 Sep 2012 18:14:55 54,171 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bless. I ended up doing my nephew's when my (cunt) local bike shop utterly failed to do anything. Bastards charged us for it though and then said it was just because the bike had been hung up and it would settle (or something).

    I followed the process in the Shimano manual which came with the bleed funnel. Was pretty much perfect after I'd tilted the reservoir to get the last few bubbles out. Don't forget to hit the tubing etc with something too to get rid of the trapped bubbles.

    (Also, I ended up with the tubing coming off once because I hadn't loosened the nipple enough. Sprayed oil all over my shoes.)
  • Page

    of 355 First / Last

Log in or register to reply