The cycling thread Page 2

• Page

of 341 First / Last

• DaisyD 18 Apr 2008 14:22:25 11,818 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Unfortunately they don't seem to have Ridgeback at Halfords. I was considering getting a boardman hybrid or a shockwave. Any experience or opinions on either of these?
  • _Price_ 18 Apr 2008 14:23:50 3,072 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    We've just relocated 25 miles closer to my house, so I now have a 2 minute ride to work \o/

I don't have a bike yet, but I'm thinking of buying a chopper as I never had one when I was younger. Or would I be better off with a mountain bike?

Unless you're going to be skipping off to the countryside / pavement hopping / taking short-cuts over fields go for a road bike. It makes things so much easier when you're not having to constantly shift on every incline.
  • tincanrocket 18 Apr 2008 14:24:55 2,897 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Here are some more pictures and prices for the Ridgeback range of bikes I'd recommend.
  • pjmaybe 18 Apr 2008 14:26:20 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm skating to work at the moment. It's bloody ace but you get some really stupid looks.
  • Grunk 18 Apr 2008 14:28:42 4,718 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    EBC they deliver to the UK, takes about 5 mins to set up the bike after that.

I got a "courier disc" from them (essentially the cheapest road/hybrid bike with disc brakes) And I'm very happy with it, do 40-80 miles a week in the summer.

After getting disc brakes, there's no way I'd go back to the caliper ones, especially if I have to commute through traffic.

I would have got a fully fledged road bike if they came with disc brakes, but they don't seem to yet.
  • tincanrocket 18 Apr 2008 14:31:19 2,897 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DaisyD wrote:
    Unfortunately they don't seem to have Ridgeback at Halfords. I was considering getting a boardman hybrid or a shockwave. Any experience or opinions on either of these?

Don't know Carrera bikes, but something like this one looks pretty good, if a little cheap. Ask them if you can take one for a test ride - just take it round the car park or whatever to get a feel for it. I found mine very odd at first (shorter handlebar than mountain bikes, and a different riding posture), but now I love it.

I'd agree that you are best off with a road bike as opposed to a mountain bike - so much easier to cycle and far less tiring, unless you plan to actually use it off road.

EDIT: just noticed that Carerra one has disk brakes too - not bad for 300
  • Grunk 18 Apr 2008 14:33:05 4,718 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also you can get your work to pay for it with the "bike to work" scheme. Essentially your work supplies you with a bike that you use to commute and you rent it off them, then when you've paid off the price of the bike minus tax they give you the bike. saving 30% or so on the price there's info on it on the website that I linked previously.
  • DaisyD 18 Apr 2008 14:34:24 11,818 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I live right by some woods that lead to a nearby villiage and a great pub, so there will be some off road riding.
  • DaisyD 18 Apr 2008 14:35:21 11,818 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Grunk wrote:
    Also you can get your work to pay for it with the "bike to work" scheme. Essentially your work supplies you with a bike that you use to commute and you rent it off them, then when you've paid off the price of the bike minus tax they give you the bike. saving 30% or so on the price there's info on it on the website that I linked previously.

Erm . . . . Did you read my 1st post?? That's what our scheme is.
  • tincanrocket 18 Apr 2008 14:36:48 2,897 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh yeah, one thing I would say, and I wish I had done this from day one with my bike, is make time to give it a weekly service - tighten the brakes, clean dirt off it, oil the chain and so on - your bike will really stay healthy for a lot longer, and you'll grow to really care about it :)
  • Grunk 18 Apr 2008 14:37:40 4,718 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DaisyD wrote:
    Grunk wrote:

Erm . . . . Did you read my 1st post?? That's what our scheme is.

nope I didn't
  • caligari 18 Apr 2008 14:38:22 16,986 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I still can't believe that I haven't been cycling to work my whole life (weeeeell, my whole working life). You feel so fresh and 'alive' when you get in - so much more so than when you've been cramped in a stuffy mobile-phone filled bus.
  • tincanrocket 18 Apr 2008 14:40:23 2,897 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DaisyD wrote:
    I live right by some woods that lead to a nearby villiage and a great pub, so there will be some off road riding.

Sounds lovely - cycling through countryside is great, and you can still get away with a road bike if there are proper cycle tracks - if not then a hybrid might be a better bet. Go for the thinnest tyres/wheels you can, though - makes a huge difference to actually making cycling enjoyable and fast!
  • Grunk 18 Apr 2008 14:45:14 4,718 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I did my first ride in of the year yesterday (I only cycle when it's light enough).

I can honestly I didn't feel fresh or alive. I felt slightly queezy, lightheaded and I couldn't see properly. Still made a good time though.

Edit: I have a sore gusset now too.
  • _Price_ 18 Apr 2008 14:47:13 3,072 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DaisyD wrote:
    I live right by some woods that lead to a nearby villiage and a great pub, so there will be some off-my-face riding.

Fixed.

On that note: is it illigal to ride a bike after having a swift few? Is there a drink-ride limit? Not that I've ever done it before h'officer, honest....
  • tincanrocket 18 Apr 2008 14:51:09 2,897 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    _Price_ wrote:
    DaisyD wrote:
    I live right by some woods that lead to a nearby villiage and a great pub, so there will be some off-my-face riding.

Fixed.

On that note: is it illigal to ride a bike after having a swift few? Is there a drink-ride limit? Not that I've ever done it before h'officer, honest....

:D - I think there is actually a law against drink-cycling. Living in Oxford most of my life I've lots of experience of this - I once decided to cycle home drunk down the tow path by the canal - ended up arriving home very wet and smelly without a bicycle.

Another time I was so drunk that I crashed into the kerb right in front of a queue for the taxi rank, sprawled across the pavement, got up dusted myself down and got back on my bike, then cycled head first into a wall - great entertainment for the taxi queue!

Of course, I don't do any of that kind of thing any more, no sir

EDIT: DaM is absolutely right of course (see below), cycling when drunk is very dangerous and not a very good idea at all.
  • DaM 18 Apr 2008 14:53:01 12,877 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    _Price_ wrote:
    DaisyD wrote:

Fixed.

I'm fairly sure it is illegal, but also extremely dangerous!
    I vowed not to do it after finding some strange red marks on my bike one Saturday morning. The memory slowly came back of a head on collision with a parked car, with me rolling over the bonnet Starsky and Hutch style.....

Seriously, don't do it, you think you are superinvinciblecycling man, but obviously aren't!
  • _Price_ 18 Apr 2008 15:54:06 3,072 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    anilec wrote:

you get incredibly nice butt cheeks from cycling every day.

Thanks very much, I hadn't noticed.
  • DaisyD 20 Apr 2008 15:54:18 11,818 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    anilec wrote:

I need to get me some of thoses! ;)
  • caligari 20 Apr 2008 15:56:15 16,986 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    anilec wrote:

/can now crush a pineapple between his butt cheeks
  • DaisyD 20 Apr 2008 15:57:59 11,818 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds painful!
  • caligari 20 Apr 2008 15:59:05 16,986 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DaisyD wrote:
    Sounds painful!

It's worth it for a fresh and fruity drink before the bike ride.
  • mattigan 20 Apr 2008 16:59:59 1,429 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Been cycling to work for a year now 6 miles each way, haven't missed a single day. Top tips for people thinking about it.

Things that you NEED
    Helmet (no exceptions)
    Decent Rucksack/Bag
    Hand Pump
    Tyre Levers
    Spare Inner tube
    Bike tool
    Repair kit
    Lights

Things that you should have (and will end up getting anyway after you first get caught without them)

Waterproof jacket/cagool (lightweight to keep in the bag for emergencies)
    Overshoes
    Rear Mudgard
    Gloves (for when you fall off)
    Some money (couple of quid in the bag, again for emergencies)

Stuff that will make your life easier

Track pump (for home use)
    Bike shoes
    Clipless Pedals
    Bullet proof tyres (I use continental gator skins - 25 a pair)
    Water Bottle

If you are not going off road get a road bike, if your commute is short and flat consider a single speed bike (cheaper, less maintenance and less to go wrong). If you do go off road consider a tri-cross bike. I regretted getting a Hybrid and had to switch after 6 months of roadbikes whizzing past me every morning.

Make sure you get advice in the bike store and get a bike that actually fits you.

Properly adjust your saddle, people always set it too low when they first start.

Go to WWW.SHELDONBROWN.COM and do some research on bikes in general.

And by and large, as with most things, with bikes you get what you pay for...
  • caligari 20 Apr 2008 17:08:50 16,986 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mattigan wrote:
    Been cycling to work for a year now 6 miles each way, haven't missed a single day. Top tips for people thinking about it.

Things that you NEED
    Helmet (no exceptions)
    Decent Rucksack/Bag
    Hand Pump
    Tyre Levers
    Spare Inner tube
    Bike tool
    Repair kit
    Lights

Things that you should have (and will end up getting anyway after you first get caught without them)

Waterproof jacket/cagool (lightweight to keep in the bag for emergencies)
    Overshoes
    Rear Mudgard
    Gloves (for when you fall off)
    Some money (couple of quid in the bag, again for emergencies)

Stuff that will make your life easier

Track pump (for home use)
    Bike shoes
    Clipless Pedals
    Bullet proof tyres (I use continental gator skins - 25 a pair)
    Water Bottle

If you are not going off road get a road bike, if your commute is short and flat consider a single speed bike (cheaper, less maintenance and less to go wrong). If you do go off road consider a tri-cross bike. I regretted getting a Hybrid and had to switch after 6 months of roadbikes whizzing past me every morning.

Make sure you get advice in the bike store and get a bike that actually fits you.

Properly adjust your saddle, people always set it too low when they first start.

Go to WWW.SHELDONBROWN.COM and do some research on bikes in general.

And by and large, as with most things, with bikes you get what you pay for...

Mattigan's List FTMFW!

I have pretty much have everything that you've listed in the 'NEED' list - the only problem being that I also need someone to help me with a puncture as I'm pretty useless.

I wish I hadn't waited so long to buy waterproof trousers either - there's nothing worse than waiting for clammy cold jeans to dry off.

+1 for gloves too - although I think I'll have to replace my meaty Thinsulate gloves with a proper 'cycle' pair.
  • otto Moderator 20 Apr 2008 17:11:57 49,298 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jury's out on helmets - some people think they actually reduce active safety awareness. It's worth noting that in really bike-friendly cities like Amsterdam and Copenhagen hardly anyone wears a helmet.

I'd opt for some really good panniers rather than a rucksack, makes life much easer. I have an excellent Vaude pannier/briefcase convertible.

Turtle lights are an absolute godsend, buy lots.

I have a nasty dayglo cycling jacket and some good lycra leggings, make me look a twat but very comfy for cycling.

The most essential thing by far is a shower at the office, a laundry/dry cleaner near the office, and a private space to change - if you haven't got them then life gets very difficult! :)

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• mattigan 20 Apr 2008 18:32:13 1,429 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes you definately need a shower, I didn''t mention panniers etc.. as it was a beginners list and while practical, they are a little expensive when you are just starting out and not sure if you are going to keep at it for a while. Plus not all frames can take one, mine dosen't.

Helmets are a must for me commuting into central London, if I didn't have one on when I really needed it I would really regret it, maybe not for very long but I would definately wish I had it on about a half a second before my temple hit the curb.

Plus find out if you live near a Decathlon store, as their stuff is incredibly cheap.

Don't be scared to have a go at fixing minor stuff yourself, at the very least have a maintenance routine of cleaning and lubeing the bike every few weeks.

The Haynes Bike Manual, Park Tools and Sheldon Browns websites are excellent reference sites that show how to do pretty much everything you could want to do with a bike.

And once you get over the initial fear of taking bits to pieces you will discover that bikes are basically big mecanno sets, and fairly easy to dismantle/rebuild.
  • DaisyD 21 Apr 2008 10:00:58 11,818 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shame I don't work in a nick anymore - there's a shower there. Still it's only 3 miles, not in central london. If I rid casually then maybe I won't get sweaty! ;)
  • FairgroundTown 21 Apr 2008 10:26:42 2,522 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Jury's out on helmets - some people think they actually reduce active safety awareness.
    The jury isn't "out" - it is just that some people don't want to wear them, and so justify it re-cycling the same arguments you still hear occasionally from (motor) bikers.

(If you are interested, I can point you at some web sites which "prove" that "the jury is still out" on whether smoking causes lung cancer too!)
  • pjmaybe 21 Apr 2008 10:30:09 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The anecdotal evidence about helmets somehow making drivers more prone to hit you just pisses me off to no end. Anyone who doesn't use a helmet on their bike in Oxford is pretty much taking a fantastically stupid risk. Any parent who doesn't make their kid wear a helmet when they're on their bike is doubly stupid imho.
  • mattigan 21 Apr 2008 10:47:55 1,429 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's true that a lot of people just don't like to wear them, I was one of them I rode to work for the 1st 3/4 months without one as I didn't want to look like Toad. But then a friend made a very pertinent comment, 'just try it, what have you got to lose' then I thought about it, and my 2 kids and thought 'oh....' that's what I've got to lose.
  • Page

of 341 First / Last