The cycling thread Page 518

• Page

of 520 First / Last

• mal 14 Nov 2017 22:24:32 28,634 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Now we just have to wait for the inevitable clip of him fucking up some of those jumps.
  • caligari 14 Nov 2017 22:51:20 17,737 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thanks for the info, guys.

I'll wait for my LBS to get back to me with a few more details, but in the meantime I'll research SKF bearings and various road bike headsets (pretty sure it's had a Cane Creek on there since 2010).
  • mothercruncher 15 Nov 2017 10:40:02 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Now we just have to wait for the inevitable clip of him fucking up some of those jumps.
    Itís that video, at the end.
  • brokenkey 15 Nov 2017 12:00:46 9,134 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    mal wrote:
    Itís that video, at the end.
    Didn't show up for me.
  • mothercruncher 15 Nov 2017 13:40:41 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah, youíre both correct- thereís a longer version of that video on redbull.tv with crashes in the outro, 3:30 onwards.
  • gamecat 16 Nov 2017 21:02:07 692 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zwift have whacked their price up to £13 PCM, feckers. Frozen at current price for a year if current sub, but still that's a big price rise.
  • elstoof 16 Nov 2017 21:13:44 18,841 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Do they give you a discount for spamming up everyoneís strava feed with your sessions
  • mothercruncher 16 Nov 2017 21:50:53 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, Iím annoyed about that. Have cancelled this month and Iím going to try the competition out next. A fucking 60% price rise on a service that, while great, has had an awful month with servers, logins, bugs etc. Itís not slick and reliable enough, for me, to charge that sort of premium.
    I think a fair number of people will be inclined to just use it over the worst of the winter months now and not let subscriptions run throughout the year. Hope the greedy fuckers lose out overall.
  • Psychotext 16 Nov 2017 23:06:34 62,149 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Do they give you a discount for spamming up everyoneís strava feed with your sessions
    Related, I've noticed that Strava counts those rides as containing actual elevation gain.

No.
  • gamecat 16 Nov 2017 23:50:06 692 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Will cancel in March or whenever gets good enough to ride midweek, then maybe go Traineroad $99 for a year, or see if anything new is out next October.
  • mothercruncher 17 Nov 2017 07:50:49 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Related, I've noticed that Strava counts those rides as containing actual elevation gain.

No.
    Youíre aware itís a simulation I hope. My garage is indeed firmly fixed to the ground.
  • Psychotext 17 Nov 2017 11:50:59 62,149 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's exactly the point though. Why would it count that as altitude gain?
  • mothercruncher 17 Nov 2017 12:03:56 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I guess it's a trainer vs smart trainer thing. I can simulate, with increased resistance, up to a 10% hill. Therefore I've worked harder to get up the virtual mountains in Zwift.
    I'm well aware that Zwift isn't as hard as real life though- particularly anything off-road.
    For lols I did 120k in four hours in Zwift a couple of weeks ago and yesterday I did 40k of cyclocross with similar sized climbs in half that time- I'm substantially more tired today than I ever get by cycling virtually, but Zwift is still a physical effort and the hills are certainly harder than the flats, so why not count it?
  • caligari 17 Nov 2017 12:22:52 17,737 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My bike shop pals have said that half the headset was seized to the bottom of the headtube. They soaked it in fluid, and have now managed to bash out the bearings. I'm now being quoted £45 for a replacement.

I'm still a little bit confused - by bashing out the bearings does it mean that half of the old headset is still seized to the frame? Will this cause hassle/damage if left? How has it managed to seize so badly - I have paid for a few full services over the years where everything is dismantled and greased.

Edited by caligari at 12:25:18 17-11-2017
  • mothercruncher 17 Nov 2017 12:31:28 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They pretty much have to have fully removed it now- itíd be really poor if they left the old cup in there and comped you something together by adding bits from a new headset in.
    A cheap, poorly sealed headset could just have been being washed with grit and water most rides- they donít last long if so. But even chucking a higher end one in there, itíll go eventually.
  • Psychotext 17 Nov 2017 13:10:26 62,149 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    I'm substantially more tired today than I ever get by cycling virtually, but Zwift is still a physical effort and the hills are certainly harder than the flats, so why not count it?
    Because there's no basis in reality for the numbers. You do 10k of elevation on the road, there's no doubt you've done 10k of elevation.

I get that people are kidding themselves as much as anything. It just seems really strange that Strava would include it though.

mothercruncher wrote:
    They pretty much have to have fully removed it now- itíd be really poor if they left the old cup in there and comped you something together by adding bits from a new headset in.
    Why would they have soaked it if they were planning on removing the cups in the end? You'd have just hammered it out, surely?

Edited by Psychotext at 13:12:47 17-11-2017
  • mothercruncher 17 Nov 2017 14:17:48 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    mothercruncher wrote:
    I'm substantially more tired today than I ever get by cycling virtually, but Zwift is still a physical effort and the hills are certainly harder than the flats, so why not count it?
    Because there's no basis in reality for the numbers. You do 10k of elevation on the road, there's no doubt you've done 10k of elevation.

I get that people are kidding themselves as much as anything. It just seems really strange that Strava would include it though.
    I don't agree with "no basis"- it's estimation in the same (but greater) way that flat kilometres are when riding or running virtually. There's an algorithm there and, while it'll be improved in the future, it'll do for now as a yardstick if everyone is at least using the same one.
    And real world distance, height can be off too- devices with different GPS abilities, different sampling rates, tiny half meter undulations that aren't caught by the altimeter etc, yet that all gets sent to Strava. If it motivates people, whatever.

Edited by mothercruncher at 14:18:37 17-11-2017
  • mothercruncher 17 Nov 2017 14:28:37 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    mothercruncher wrote:
    Why would they have soaked it if they were planning on removing the cups in the end? You'd have just hammered it out, surely?
    Both of us are querying stuff without the problem in front of us, it's guesswork. I'd imagine they'd soaked the cups themselves to remove them from the frame, not soaked the ballrace in an effort to prise it from the surface of the cup, no? And if they did do the latter because removing the cup would damage the frame then the old cup will need a bit of attention as it'll be pitted now.

What's the deal caligari?
  • caligari 17 Nov 2017 15:50:40 17,737 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    From their last few E-mails to me:

"We're giving the headset one last try this afternoon after soaking it in fluid overnight. What we might suggest if we can't break it loose is to carry on riding until the bottom bearings actually give up and can be pulled apart - at least this way we can get the forks out and remove both parts of the bearing then!"

"As luck would have it we've managed to bash the headset bearings loose! We haven't been able to find the replacement ones on Wiggle so we'll have to order those in. The headset will be £45 plus £15 fitting."

"As for the headset I think if it's the original it's lasted a fair time, the bottom bearing has definitely suffered from water/lack of mudguards. To avoid the problem of it seizing in the frame in future we'd recommend checking they come out at least once a year. I'll make sure they get plenty of anti-seize on them when we install them and cover the bottom bearing in grease to slow water from getting through. The frame takes a specific type of bearing that Wiggle just didn't have, it's not uncommon but is the integrated type rather than a press fit that they tend to be selling - we can show you them when you collect."
  • mothercruncher 17 Nov 2017 16:41:45 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not much clearer but they seem to be spannering hard so, as long as itís better.
  • MikeP 18 Nov 2017 18:51:18 2,821 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sometimes the steel bearing face can corrode and wedge itself into the cup or the insert. When it gets really bad trying to remove it can actually separate the bits of the bearing.

I saw it happen a fair few times when I spannered in a workshop. They are taking the right steps (IMO) on the install. Protecting the lower bearing by coating it in grease can help.

£15 install fee is perfectly fair too.
  • mothercruncher 21 Nov 2017 15:59:44 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cool course, Iíd love to blat around that.

• mal 21 Nov 2017 17:16:10 28,634 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've never actually managed to get my front wheel off the ground, so I guess I'd be carrying my bike over all those bunny hops.
  • mothercruncher 24 Nov 2017 09:52:11 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am NOT about to buy another bike. Repeat: I am NOT about to buy another bike, but for £1000, this is crazy. OK, direct-from-China-carbon, but full Ultegra, 7.5kg. That'd be a heck of a winter hack bike!

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/EBPXPEC13U/planet-x-ec-130e-rivet-rider-shimano-ultegra-6800-aero-road-bike?utm_source=The+Planet+X+and+On-One+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=8e4c418b97-Black+Friday&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_561486488b-8e4c418b97-273634857&mc_cid=8e4c418b97&mc_eid=d1bee039f7

Edited by mothercruncher at 09:53:17 24-11-2017
  • Psychotext 24 Nov 2017 10:44:55 62,149 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice. Your link is borked by the way.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes/ec-130e-aero-road

Maybe I should get one for the two times a year I ride a road bike. ;)

Edited by Psychotext at 10:46:03 24-11-2017
  • mothercruncher 24 Nov 2017 13:12:57 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    £500 a ride. Nice.
  • Psychotext 24 Nov 2017 14:07:54 62,149 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I do like utterly destroying roadies on £5k bikes with my £600 non carbon, non ultegra pile of crap... so maybe not. :D
  • KD 24 Nov 2017 14:13:55 1,810 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Was talking to a mate of mine, he does mountain biking here in south wales for fitness reasons and was thinking of a £2000+ bike for it, says its lighter and others pay more. Really didnt understand that, surely if its fitness your after a heavier bike would be better?

I bought motorbikes for less so dont think I will ever understand paying that money for one.

Also fuck punctures, off up town for an inner tube, going to the bike for trip home and found a flat tyre.

Edited by KD at 14:15:39 24-11-2017
  • caligari 24 Nov 2017 14:25:24 17,737 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    KD wrote:
    Was talking to a mate of mine, he does mountain biking here in south wales for fitness reasons and was thinking of a £2000+ bike for it, says its lighter and others pay more. Really didnt understand that, surely if its fitness your after a heavier bike would be better?

I bought motorbikes for less so dont think I will ever understand paying that money for one.

Also fuck punctures, off up town for an inner tube, going to the bike for trip home and found a flat tyre.

At least you'll be a puncture-changing pro if you keep having to sort them out. When I first started cycling it would take me forever - now I get a sick pleasure from changing an innertube.
  • gamecat 24 Nov 2017 14:49:25 692 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    KD wrote:
    Have never paid over 1200 for a bike, but have ridden more expensive ones, its kind of more fun riding a lighter/faster bike in the same way a sports car is over a city car. You get massively diminishing returns over 2k, but if you've got the money then why not? (disclaimer, looking to buy a a new bike for next summer, got some cash saved up and figure it'll last me for 10+ years so feck it I'm buying a dream machine).
  • Page

of 520 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.