The cycling thread Page 516

• Page

of 520 First / Last

• quadfather 18 Oct 2017 15:26:46 29,637 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mothercruncher

Nice one, thanks for that. I might get those mudguards you suggest.

Haha good tip for the gears when parking :) and yes, the lock is a deterrent more than anything

I've been looking at standard cycling trousers for about an hour online but can't find fuck all. I'm. 34" inside leg which doesn't help
  • quadfather 18 Oct 2017 15:33:41 29,637 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FFS, why don't sites tell you the inside leg measurement? They provide everything except that. Do they fucking think everyone's bastard legs are the same size? Twats.
  • quadfather 18 Oct 2017 15:37:54 29,637 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah found some. Panic and tantrum over.
  • JoelStinty 20 Oct 2017 13:45:36 5,901 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can i ask what people do for nutrition after a turbo session? I think i didn't refuel enough yesterday because i felt quite rough later on in the evening. Being a turbo trainer i sweated a fuck ton and didn't really take that into account.

On a normal ride if i go out for a couple of hours i take a couple of gels, a banana and a couple of bottles of water, one with a High 5 in, and normally have lunch after i get in.

But yeah, TT are probably more intense that my normal amble out and about and just like to know what people eat.
  • mothercruncher 20 Oct 2017 14:27:15 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I donít particularly, usually make a fancy schmancy coffee and drink at least a couple of bottles of water per hour.
  • mothercruncher 20 Oct 2017 14:28:00 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is this on Zwift? How are you finding it?
  • JoelStinty 20 Oct 2017 14:57:09 5,901 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I might have just pushed it a little too much and not with having done much exceecise of late I felt a bit woozy afterwards.

Yeah it is! Not bad actually.
    Canít see much on my iPad but it seems ok. Didnít fully occupy me all the time but it is nice to look up and concentrate on it now and again. I see itís potential though and once I got my head fully
    Round it I might try out some of the workout programmes. Itís nice to have an alternative for those rainy days for sure. Like tomorrow!

Edited by JoelStinty at 14:57:42 20-10-2017

Edited by JoelStinty at 14:57:58 20-10-2017
  • mothercruncher 20 Oct 2017 17:34:27 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The workouts are good- I do the ďone and doneĒ ones but the multi week ones are pretty full on and would shag my running up unfortunately.
    Also, youíve got Events with group rides/races which are great.
    Tried it on the pad and, yeah, works well. Itís significantly better on a TV though to be honest- mines only an old 24Ē thing I had knocking about but, directly in front of the bike itís plenty big enough.
    The companion app is good for controlling the view, seeing a map, riders around you, cueing up events etc, if you can run it on your phone while Zwift is on the pad.
  • JoelStinty 20 Oct 2017 17:46:36 5,901 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cool! yeah my first thought was to get a tv for it, i think i got one somewhere in the cellar, although the pad works pretty well for now. Got it sat on my wii u gamepad dock on a ladder in front of the bike haha.

I downloaded the Zwift companion app earlier today! Originally i downloaded the main app and wondered why i couldn't link two devices to the trainer but realised that the mobile link app was separate, so will try that out tomorrow morning! Will give the taxc app and trainer road a go at some point too.

But the gamification of exercise is cool. It is gimmicky as fuck, but it works and i can see it getting quite addictive for a while.
  • mothercruncher 20 Oct 2017 18:22:02 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It is, I need to keep reminding myself Iím, realistically, competing against myself only though. Thereís so much random kit involved in linking to Zwift and, of course, the fundamental power-to-weight stuff that can be gamed (by putting in a low body weight) that it is a bit of a shame everyoneís efforts canít be a bit more verifiably measured.
    Interesting to see the stats though. As primarily a mountain biker I entered a 40k hilly race early on and really suffered in the long flat high tempo bits (finished late 30ís out of 60) but got tenth in the king of the mountains results. Itís a good yardstick to see where you can improve.
  • Immaterial 20 Oct 2017 19:12:26 2,213 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone had any experience with planet x/on one? Accidentally lusting over a Carbon hardtail 29-er(CX because it's not that hilly round here).

Tell me not to be stupid, please.
  • mothercruncher 20 Oct 2017 20:15:15 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Their stuffs decent, though it might be just a touch behind the bleeding edge. Iíve had a carbon Dirty Disco for four years now and have loved it. The itch for a new bike has seen it replaced but for no particular reason.
    Itís all from the Far East- as is most of the big manufacturers, of course- but they put together decently specíd stuff, cribbing together ideas from the bike industry, rather than anything cutting edge.
  • Immaterial 20 Oct 2017 22:21:04 2,213 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Damn you for your sensible reply.

Ta.

Edit: to be fair, it'll either be a black Friday purchase or something to get on cycle 2 work in April, so plenty of time for me to fall out of list and transfer my affections to a lapierre 529.

Edited by Immaterial at 22:23:12 20-10-2017
  • mal 20 Oct 2017 23:05:00 28,634 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @mothercruncher
    ..snip..
    Haha good tip for the gears when parking :) and yes, the lock is a deterrent more than anything

I've been looking at standard cycling trousers for about an hour online but can't find fuck all. I'm. 34" inside leg which doesn't help
    Yes, that is a good tip; shame it's the last post on the previous page.

What trousers did you go for in the end? And what price? I'm in the market for some non-shorts for when the temperatures dip a bit - I've got one pair I bought at wiggle for silly money, but they're straight in the washing machine when I get back so they've a chance to get dry by the time I want to go out again. In comparison I've landed up with dozens of pairs of shorts over the years, which is ironic because it's really not such a pain to get washed clothes dry when it's warmer out.
  • Mfolf 20 Oct 2017 23:30:07 1,551 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Any thoughts on the boardman comp cx? Got one to collect next week. Figured a cx was best to go for and this was cheapest I could find.
  • elstoof 21 Oct 2017 07:02:10 18,841 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Canít go wrong with a Boardman, well sorted out bikes
  • mothercruncher 21 Oct 2017 08:03:19 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aye, enjoy :)
  • Immaterial 21 Oct 2017 10:30:42 2,213 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mal maybe some leggy warmers would help? Then you could keep using your mountain of shorts.
  • Mfolf 21 Oct 2017 10:32:22 1,551 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Wooop thanks. Not much choice from Halfords really!
  • mal 21 Oct 2017 19:19:49 28,634 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Immaterial wrote:
    @mal maybe some leggy warmers would help? Then you could keep using your mountain of shorts.
    Hmm, yeah, that could work, and is much preferable to going full lycra in my book.
  • quadfather 22 Oct 2017 15:40:39 29,637 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mal wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    @mothercruncher
    ..snip..

Yes, that is a good tip; shame it's the last post on the previous page.

What trousers did you go for in the end? And what price? I'm in the market for some non-shorts for when the temperatures dip a bit - I've got one pair I bought at wiggle for silly money, but they're straight in the washing machine when I get back so they've a chance to get dry by the time I want to go out again. In comparison I've landed up with dozens of pairs of shorts over the years, which is ironic because it's really not such a pain to get washed clothes dry when it's warmer out.
    I bought the provis Nightrider ones as they were the only ones I could find with measurements online (was being lazy). I'm 6" 4' and 34" leg and the xlarge fit me like a glove

Also, just been out on my first bike ride with the voodoo! Did monsul trail which is 22 miles. Got tunnels too. It's relatively flat but on the way back it's a gradual incline. Really enjoyed it too. Bike is fucking ace, clothes were good and didn't let any water in to boot. 6 of us and had a good laugh.

Not too fucked either considering I smoke and drink every day and am 45 and hardly do any exercise! Got a bit of cramp now and again but fought through it.

Going again next Sunday once we pick a place to go to.

Fun!
  • mothercruncher 22 Oct 2017 16:54:23 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fab, thatís a cracking start!
  • mothercruncher 22 Oct 2017 16:56:58 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Iíd did 26 on/off-road miles today and now Iím having an early bath because I havenít felt my feet for the last three hours. Need some winter socks, stat.
  • elstoof 22 Oct 2017 17:05:01 18,841 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Overshoes > socks
  • quadfather 22 Oct 2017 17:16:31 29,637 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    Fab, thatís a cracking start!
    Cheers - it was a thoroughly good time. I'd forgotten what endorphins felt like :)

Pissed it down on the way to bake well but we were all setup right so didn't matter and then on the way back it was windy (especially in the railway tunnels) but was all doable.

Have to say, the voodoo is a cracking bike - at least for me and what I do.

Planning the next two trips now down the pub with a well deserved pint :)
  • Mfolf 22 Oct 2017 17:37:18 1,551 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Any recommendations for good and big pannier bags that donít cost a bomb?
  • mothercruncher 22 Oct 2017 17:45:42 14,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Overshoes > socks
    I did ghetto overshoes today because I knew Iíd be cold.... duct tape over the shoe vents :rolleyes:
  • mal 22 Oct 2017 17:55:46 28,634 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Loon-Backpack-Tear-resistant-Waterproof/dp/B00L325TE6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1508691210&sr=8-6&keywords=red+loon+pannier+bags

Those are mine. Bit of a naff brand, but I think they're clones of Ortleib bags for about half the price.
  • elstoof 22 Oct 2017 18:04:12 18,841 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Overshoes > socks
    I did ghetto overshoes today because I knew Iíd be cold.... duct tape over the shoe vents :rolleyes:
    Even a pair of regular (knackered and old) socks over your shoes works a treat
  • Immaterial 22 Oct 2017 18:16:02 2,213 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thin socks/freezer bags/thicker socks= mostly dry toesies, and involves less swearing than trying to stretch neoprene over my shoes.

Also- baking foil under the inlay.

I have proper ghetto winter footwear.
  • Page

of 520 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.