The cycling thread Page 513

• Page

of 516 First / Last

• Dougs 5 Sep 2017 19:02:52 83,489 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nice. A neighbour's parents have a sporty looking ebike, was dead impressed when I had a go. Can't remember the brand for the life of me. These look much better too.
  • Psychotext 6 Sep 2017 13:50:05 61,808 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Uhh...

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/structure-cycleworks-linkage-fork-crankworx-whistler-2017.html
  • mothercruncher 6 Sep 2017 18:30:47 13,891 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I like new ideas, but that execution is a bit busy- it hurts to look at.
    Does the fork follow some sort of J curve?

I had some Lawhill Leader forks waaaaay back in the day that followed the leading link principal- they were awesome rolling over bumps.
  • mothercruncher 7 Sep 2017 13:01:12 13,891 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm thinking about THE WINTER WOT IS COMING and wondering- does anyone here use Zwift?
  • gamecat 7 Sep 2017 18:29:32 664 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I do do the Zwift, it's about a million times more bearable than looking at a wall wondering a)why you are on a turbo and b)when will it stop.

Need any stuff about it answering?
  • mothercruncher 7 Sep 2017 19:04:01 13,891 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Erm, probably lots :(
    I'm being thick I think, but their website confused me. A "classic" trainer list, an intermediate setup, "smart" turbo trainers. Then multiple levels of technology, Ant+, Bluetooth, power meters.
    I just want to pretend I'm Peter Sagan doing wheelies on a nice island.

I've just a basic trainer- their list of such doesn't have mine included. So does that make it unworkable, i.e. would I need to buy one that's listed by them?

Edited by mothercruncher at 19:04:49 07-09-2017
  • gamecat 7 Sep 2017 19:43:12 664 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Theres a couple options:

Basic setup - bog standard turbo (or rollers) + speed sensor for rear wheel (probably ANt+) and some way to pick up the signal (ie Ant+ stick for a PC), obviously with this you're not going to get variable resistances going up hills, or tows from other riders, but you will still see estimated power numbers. The supported basic trainers are ones they have had a go at calibrating at Zwift HQ, there is an 'unsupported' option which will give you SOME numbers but they may be way off the mark of reality. They'll be consistent at least but you may end up going at 5mph round the island (or 50!).

The other option is a smart trainer on their approved list + rear wheel sensor sensor, that can vary the resistance. Smart trainers are getting cheaper, and are probably the best way to use Zwift really, they start about 200 for something like a Tacx Flow. Or you can spend silly money for more, or smoother resistance.

You can also chuck in an Ant+ HR strap/ cadence meters for more data, and control the turns and stuff via the mobile app.

GCN just did an intro to getting started on it the other day:

https://youtu.be/q8fArWR-CsE

It's actually really easy to get going, can be quite addictive and is just way more fun than a turbo on it's own. There are other programs out there, like TrainerRoad, that do similar stuff but without the graphical front end if you're more serious about training and stuff, but the workouts in Zwift are pretty good still.
  • mothercruncher 7 Sep 2017 21:24:07 13,891 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks GC, appreciated and I think I get it now. My trainer isn't on the list and, rather than spending the money on a sensor and the ant+ stuff and possibly zooming around at 300mph, I'd probably be better off spending on a lower end smart trainer and getting accuracy and a bit more sophistication.
    Spotted it on GCN actually. I was planning to just run and road bike in the worst of the weather this winter but this seems like a bit of fun and a decent training tool t'boot.
  • gamecat 7 Sep 2017 22:33:11 664 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FWIW I got One of these last year for about 280 (Wiggle price matched some Euro site + plat discount), and a 10 unbranded ANT usb stick and it's been pretty faultless so far, had the sensors from the Garmin already.
  • Chug666 15 Sep 2017 12:43:29 327 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just posted this on BikeRadar and thought I'd duplicate here, a long winded whinge about a broken frame- sorry!

I've commuted happily on my Charge Plug SS for 18 months or so, enjoying the low maintenance world of single gear riding. In wet weather I made sure to remove the seat post, turn it upside down to get water out of the frame, and sprayed some GT85 into it by way of TLC. Also occasionally gave it a squirt of waxoil for good measure, although I'm not convinced that was particularly effective. I clean it (occasionally), oil it (regularly), adjust the chain etc etc- so it has been looked after, albeit as a hard worked commuter beasty.

At the weekend, giving it a quick wash for the coming week, I found a big crack running horizontally from each side of the seat post slot. Did a double take, popped the seat post out, and it is possible to lift the top inch or so of the frame to leave a jagged gap. Not a good look. Its a 56cm (large) frame, I'm a bit over 6 foot so run a fair length of seat tube but well within the limits, and at 75kg I'm not particularly chunky, so I was really surprised to see it fail where it did.

Confession time- I bought the bike used, from a chap who'd had it a few months but preferred gears. He gave me the receipt, so I know it is a 2015 model. But from a warranty perspective I'm on dodgy ground. I thought it was worth giving Charge a go in any case, and was told there was nothing they can do to help (they weren't at all interested in investigating the failure from a safety perspective either). Similarly Evans, where the bike came from originally, were entirely uninterested.

So a few questions:

- has anyone else had a failure like this, and found the reason? If i buy a replacement frame I'm keen to avoid a repeat!
    - any maintenance tips for a daily use steel frame would be great
    - what replacement would you go for? I've looked at expensive (Cotic Roadrat), cheaper (il Pompino) and unknown (fabricrace light alu frame looks pretty good) but I really can'd decide...
    - Do you think Charge (or Evans) should have done more, or am i being unreasonable as a dirty second hand buyer? I was careful not to demand a new frame from Charge, just pointed out the failure and asked if they would look into it, so i thought they'd at least want to see why it happened.

Will try to attach a photo, but I'm struggling...

Cheers all!
  • mothercruncher 15 Sep 2017 13:50:42 13,891 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think you've been unlucky- especially given it's steel rather than the more fatigue prone aluminium. Worth a punt with Charge, but I'm not sure how you think Evans are involved- are they the parent company?

You sound like you're at the limit for that frame size. Most bikes have a minimum amount of seat post that needs to be inside the tube to offset the leverage of us lumps sitting on them- do you know how much was in the frame?

It shouldn't have happened, but for what it's worth, as a second hand buyer who'd used it week, week out for 18 months I'd just be inclined to get a new frame, swap parts over and chalk it up as one of those things.
  • Chug666 15 Sep 2017 14:00:22 327 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @mothercruncher the bike came from Evans originally- the chap i bought it from had the paperwork and passed it on with the sale. The post was well within the limit (it was the original post for the bike so no dodgy aftermarket fitting took place), and if it was post leverage I'd have expected the crack at the front, rather than the back (my arse would have been compressing the back rather than stretching it!). So a bit odd, but yes, one of those things and I've already got my eye on a holdsworth frame via Planet X as a replacement.
  • mal 15 Sep 2017 18:19:07 28,260 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, legally there was a contract with Evans and the original owner, although with that not being you they can rightfully shrug you off it they want, legally speaking. I guess legally the only person you have a contract with it the original owner, and you're not going to go after him with this, so you may as well give Charge a go.

FWIW, I've never taken my seat post off I think, even when changing the saddle. But mine in an alu alloy bike, so I guess that's less of an issue. I do have a bit of noise coming (I think) from my bottom bracket at the moment though.
  • mothercruncher 15 Sep 2017 23:15:59 13,891 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @gamecat
    I've gone around in circles a bit with this, but the Rampa is looking like a great bang/buck option at this point. I'm just struggling to work out the implications, if any, of the unit only doing Ant+ or Bluetooth.
    So, I could connect the Rampa to my laptop and in turn Zwift via Ant+. But then to use the Zwift app on my iPhone/pad to interact mid ride I'd need to use Bluetooth to Zwift on the laptop? For the app to work it doesn't need to know what the trainer is doing, just what the Zwift program on the PC is?
  • gamecat 16 Sep 2017 16:25:43 664 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @mothercruncher I think the only problem would be if you had a BT HR monitor and ANT speed sensor, you're boned in that case, but if all your sensors can do one or the other you should be fine. You connect to the Zwift app with plain old wi-fi (your PC and phone need to be on same network ofc), no BT required.

Edit, for info my exact setup is:

Rampa trainer
    Garmin speed/ cadence sensors, HR monitor (all ANT+)
    Cheapo ANT+ USB stick in PC (may need a usb extender thingy)
    Android phone, on bars with a cheap mount, with Zwift app loaded.
    Usual turbo trainer stuff (mats, fans, riser block)
    PC with second screen to watch other stuff (sometimes)

Once you pair things the first time, they just need waking up the next time you connect to Zwift. A quick spin of pedals to wake up cadence and speed I'm on, takes about 20 secs now.

Edited by gamecat at 16:39:34 16-09-2017
  • mothercruncher 16 Sep 2017 20:26:45 13,891 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's brilliant, really appreciate it. The different Bluetooth versions, the Bluetooth support on MacOS but not Windows, the Bluetooth clinging on to a device and rendering another undiscoverable, the Ant+ signal strength etc... my heads spinning. But that clears it up.
    I've only an Ant+ heart rate monitor so will just continue down that route if I add gadgets.

Zwift doesn't do a great job of explaining the various connection options to it and then every manufacturer approaches the topology slightly differently and offers different companion apps with varying capabilities too. Coming to it absolutely cold the smart trainer market feels pretty complicated and fuzzy.
  • mothercruncher 16 Sep 2017 21:39:49 13,891 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bought. Ta.
  • gamecat 16 Sep 2017 22:28:51 664 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cool, see you on Zwift!
  • mothercruncher 16 Sep 2017 23:17:02 13,891 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, fuck. WE DONT TALK ABOUT NUMBERS.
  • Psychotext 17 Sep 2017 15:21:51 61,808 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Now more than a month since I've been out on the bike. Sigh.

Don't know where my motivation is going to come from, but I'll have lost a massive amount of the fitness that I worked so hard for.
  • mothercruncher 17 Sep 2017 20:14:51 13,891 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For what it's worth, I get bored easily with routine. I mountainbike, do road and trail cyclocross rides, occasionally bang slicks and half-way-up-my-calf socks on and road bike and also run.
    None of them brilliantly because I'm splitting my time across so many things, but, when you get that fidgety feeling, when you know you've got to burn some energy, there's always at least one option I fancy. Could be time to mix something new in.
  • JoelStinty 18 Sep 2017 18:37:43 5,682 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think it is ok not to want to ride now and again. You've been a bit of a machine .. well for a few years psycho so you're bound to have a phase of little motivation.

Perhaps just force yourself out of the door one day and see what happens.

I can't see myself on the bike for a while, maybe next year. Got an exhibition next year, so need to spend my days off photographing. Perhaps maybe could fit an hour here and there before or after work. Or even might pick up a Turbo trainer so it be easy just to get some exercise at least.

Anyway. If anyone is going to inspire you,

Mark Beaumont as completed his round the world ride today, in 79 days! Machine. 240 miles a day.
  • Psychotext 18 Sep 2017 19:00:07 61,808 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm back to doing my weights for the moment, so that's something. Though sadly it's usually a case of when rather than if for getting an injury.
  • MikeP 20 Sep 2017 17:37:02 2,809 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Chug666 wrote:
    Just posted this on BikeRadar and thought I'd duplicate here, a long winded whinge about a broken frame- sorry!

I've commuted happily on my Charge Plug SS for 18 months or so, enjoying the low maintenance world of single gear riding. In wet weather I made sure to remove the seat post, turn it upside down to get water out of the frame, and sprayed some GT85 into it by way of TLC. Also occasionally gave it a squirt of waxoil for good measure, although I'm not convinced that was particularly effective. I clean it (occasionally), oil it (regularly), adjust the chain etc etc- so it has been looked after, albeit as a hard worked commuter beasty.

At the weekend, giving it a quick wash for the coming week, I found a big crack running horizontally from each side of the seat post slot. Did a double take, popped the seat post out, and it is possible to lift the top inch or so of the frame to leave a jagged gap. Not a good look. Its a 56cm (large) frame, I'm a bit over 6 foot so run a fair length of seat tube but well within the limits, and at 75kg I'm not particularly chunky, so I was really surprised to see it fail where it did.

Confession time- I bought the bike used, from a chap who'd had it a few months but preferred gears. He gave me the receipt, so I know it is a 2015 model. But from a warranty perspective I'm on dodgy ground. I thought it was worth giving Charge a go in any case, and was told there was nothing they can do to help (they weren't at all interested in investigating the failure from a safety perspective either). Similarly Evans, where the bike came from originally, were entirely uninterested.

So a few questions:

- has anyone else had a failure like this, and found the reason? If i buy a replacement frame I'm keen to avoid a repeat!
    - any maintenance tips for a daily use steel frame would be great
    - what replacement would you go for? I've looked at expensive (Cotic Roadrat), cheaper (il Pompino) and unknown (fabricrace light alu frame looks pretty good) but I really can'd decide...
    - Do you think Charge (or Evans) should have done more, or am i being unreasonable as a dirty second hand buyer? I was careful not to demand a new frame from Charge, just pointed out the failure and asked if they would look into it, so i thought they'd at least want to see why it happened.

Will try to attach a photo, but I'm struggling...

Cheers all!
    If you have a horizontal crack propagating from the seat post slot it sounds very much like metal fatigue. Normally the slot is drilled first to create a round end, then the slot is cut down to that. It should look like a keyhole, not a straight slot.

The circular hole should reduce the chance of a crack starting. That's one reason why aircraft that are pressurised don't have square windows. Corners and fatigue cycles are bad.

If an undersized seatpost was fitted (doesn't have to be much out of tolerance) then the flexing of the tube to clamp the post could have been enough to start a crack. It's a stress failure, in other words.

The other thing is if the crack is close to a welded area. If the weld process was off then you can get weakened areas as a result of an abrupt material property transition across what's known as the HAZ (heat affected zone) that surrounds the weld. That's bad fabrication.

Not much you can do, unless there's at least 20mm of clean metal above the top of the top tube. If there was, you could actually just square it off, cut a new slot and put an external clamp on.

As for a new bike, if you want to just swap parts over have a look at Surly frames as a starting point.
  • StixxUK 20 Sep 2017 19:37:36 7,812 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm looking at getting a new bike.

Got an old Specialized Rockhopper, with Indy XCs (and "Indy and a Jones" spring kit) - which I realise nobody is likely to know what it is, other than that they still make Rockhoppers.

Anyway, getting a new bike. Unsure if I'll get a Mountain bike or a hybrid at the moment but actually leaning toward getting a hardtail MTB with lock-out forks, 29" wheels and then sticking some semi-slick tyres on so it's not utter shite on the road.

Sensible plan? Any recommendations around the 500-600 price range?
  • mothercruncher 20 Sep 2017 20:04:32 13,891 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got a 29er recently. Hadn't factored how that extra rotating mass would affect me getting RAD. If you like trundling along, they're brilliant, but it's only when I went tubeless and bought the lightest tyres I thought I could get away with that I felt I'd got a chuckable bike back again.
  • Psychotext 21 Sep 2017 00:19:50 61,808 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Get an MTB, hybrids are shit.

As for what, this... no question.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bizango-29er-mountain-bike

Edited by Psychotext at 00:22:08 21-09-2017
  • JoelStinty 23 Sep 2017 12:24:20 5,682 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone recommend a good tourer?

I've been saving up over the last 6 months to go travelling next year (like take a year out job), but i kind of had a new brainwave over the last couple of days. Earlier in the week a work colleague died and i think it be quite nice to do something for charity and been toying with the idea of cycling around mainland britain coast for a few months instead (as obvious advantages - less time of work, cost less overall).

Still toying with the idea, (and no doubt i would get a new brainwave ..probably next week haha) but i spent a few days on starva on the route map and it's been rather infectious.

It seems the two obvious choices are the surly long haul trucker, or the genesis tour de fer.

Any other suggestions? I quite like the idea of it being a passion project too and it be nice to make it a bike for life job, i love the classic look of tourers and the thought of a nice steel frame as certainly wetted my appetite.
  • mothercruncher 23 Sep 2017 20:12:16 13,891 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @gamecat
    Hey! It's me! I'm back with more inane questions.
    Setting up the Rampa, in the Zwift pairing screens I've generally got "ELITE FE-C 49691" and " ELITE PWR 49691". Would you mind looking at which you've selected next time you boot up?
  • Page

of 516 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.