Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That'l be the awesome beer for you.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner
    Formerly OptimusPube

• elstoof 22 Aug 2014 09:46:21 8,304 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Push/pull horizontally is the biggest benefit of clipless for me, spinning in whatever I can approximate as a circle seems to be the most efficient way to spin faster at a lower power on the flat or a slight incline. Climbing out of the saddle up a 20% there's no pulling up on the pedals for me, just not possible. I pull up a bit when sprinting from a slow start, just to help get going, but in reality all I'm probably doing is taking a bit of weight off the back pedal.

Edited by elstoof at 21:03:25 24-08-2014
  • MikeP 22 Aug 2014 22:30:59 2,075 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    In Belgium. Lots of roadies. Fat ones.
    It's the chips and mayo.

Also home of Cyclocross! You know want to. Hup Hup!

*cowbell*

*more cowbell*

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Psychotext 23 Aug 2014 04:50:19 55,032 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, there really is a lot of chips and mayo here. Seems they missed the culinary boat somewhat.
  • TheBlackDog 24 Aug 2014 10:46:12 426 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cycling in the Alps .... with skateboards.

[youtube]
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iCmGj9VbYE4[/youtube]

I didn't realise they could go that fast! Bet they suck on the climbs though.

Edited by TheBlackDog at 10:48:41 24-08-2014
  • Dougs 24 Aug 2014 20:30:10 69,482 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    http://torchapparel.eu

Just seen these on Dragons Den. Quite like the Midnight range, but suspect I'd want bike lights as well.
  • Deckard2 24 Aug 2014 21:08:36 3,674 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It annoys me when I see a light in the distance at some weird height. With those I'd assume I was being abducted. Lights should be standardised.
  • Psychotext 24 Aug 2014 22:35:40 55,032 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sickeningly geeky... and that's coming from a big time geek.

Pass.
  • MikeP 27 Aug 2014 14:14:30 2,075 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Paint scheme I'm going to go for on my new frame. Took a while (like ages) to get to something I felt happy with.

• elstoof 27 Aug 2014 14:32:29 8,304 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks sweet, Mike!
  • elstoof 27 Aug 2014 14:33:35 8,304 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So... When are you gonna start taking commissions..?
  • MikeP 27 Aug 2014 15:00:59 2,075 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I suspect I'll be opening the doors to some select clientele at the start of 2015. Providing we can find a new workshop.

• elstoof 27 Aug 2014 15:10:47 8,304 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are you moving out of Matthew's?
  • MikeP 27 Aug 2014 15:38:01 2,075 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Are you moving out of Matthew's?
    The site we're on is being demolished & redeveloped. Plan is to stick together, but finding suitable spaces on a reasonable rental basis is pretty tough.

• boo 27 Aug 2014 15:46:28 11,929 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @MikeP

Forgive my ignorance - I'm still very much a bike n00b...

Presumably a custom made frame, much like a custom made anything, will cost more and take longer than an off-the-peg equivalent.
    If we assume that the major manufacturers know something about bike building, then what advantage does a small scale custom builder bring to the party?

I'm not knocking you, I'm genuinely curious. I don't have a problem with spending a good wodge of money on quality stuff, so just wondered where the benefits are. Intermediate sizes?

Cheers!

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 27 Aug 2014 15:49:44 11,929 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finally settled on some lights. Went for a Hope Vision 1, with rechargable batteries at the front, and a Busch & Muller rack mounted light at the back.

Found a couple of complaints about the longevity of the B&M, but for 20 I'll see how it goes.

Just Another Lego Blog

• elstoof 27 Aug 2014 15:57:20 8,304 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any consumer product you look at, there's always people interested in buying a version where you can meet the craftsman, discuss your needs and requirements and know that what you're buying is a complete one of a kind.

Off the peg is an extremely modern concept, only in the last 100 years or so have clothes, shoes, furniture etc been plopped out of automated manufacture. If you wanted a suit, a bike, a pair of shoes or whatever you went to the workshop or showroom of the people making it and have one made. Luckily for me (bespoke shoemaker) there's people willing to pay for my knowledge and expertise in bringing their ideas to life. I think it's the same for any of the many custom bike builders out there.
  • Salaman 27 Aug 2014 16:11:28 19,594 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Yeah, there really is a lot of chips and mayo here. Seems they missed the culinary boat somewhat.
    That's quite rich coming from an Englishman!
    Most cyclist I know go through this routine:

Gather on Saturday or Sunday for a grouped ride.
    Do x km ride and then stop off for a beer or two.
    Drive back x km and finish the day's work with a beer or two.

Are you still over here? Come cycle to Ghent. I'll take you out for a beer and some fries and mayo.

Edited by Salaman at 16:14:27 27-08-2014
  • MikeP 27 Aug 2014 16:11:35 2,075 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    boo wrote:
    @MikeP

Forgive my ignorance - I'm still very much a bike n00b...

Presumably a custom made frame, much like a custom made anything, will cost more and take longer than an off-the-peg equivalent.
    If we assume that the major manufacturers know something about bike building, then what advantage does a small scale custom builder bring to the party?

I'm not knocking you, I'm genuinely curious. I don't have a problem with spending a good wodge of money on quality stuff, so just wondered where the benefits are. Intermediate sizes?

Cheers!
    I think the biggest thing is that you're getting a product made specifically for you, rather than one that's been designed to meet the needs of an audience demographic. Big bike makers do a great job, and I own a couple of mass-produced bikes myself. It's horses for courses. Some specific things:

Size is one. You can get a bike to fit that is tailored, rather than made to fit with stacks of spacers, odd length stems etc.

Another is stiffness/comfort. By selecting tubes appropriate to a rider's weight/power/riding style you can tune the ride

Third is specification. You can mix and match components to suit yourself, rather than buying a stock model and either putting up with what you're given, or spending cash on swapping over.

Next is aesthetics, both in terms of finish and detailing. You can get a truly unique bike.

And lastly is having something you feel that you've had a part in making.

Custom doesn't have to cost more. It's likely to be more than low-mid range mass market, but there are plenty of mid-high end bikes that'll set you back more than a custom. A top-end bespoke maker will be doing a frameset (frame & fork) for 1,000 - 2,000 depending on spec. There are plenty of major manufacturers who want more.

It is a bit of a niche, but is happily having something of a renaissance.

• elstoof 27 Aug 2014 16:21:49 8,304 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have you been out with ICC lately Mike?
  • boo 27 Aug 2014 16:36:59 11,929 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cool! Cheers, chaps!
    And best of luck! Elstoof too! Bespoke shoes? Who knew we had such talented folk around here?

Just Another Lego Blog

• Psychotext 27 Aug 2014 16:40:23 55,032 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    That's quite rich coming from an Englishman!

Are you still over here? Come cycle to Ghent. I'll take you out for a beer and some fries and mayo.
    I'm no Englishman!

...and no, I left yesterday. To be honest I found Belgium to be a scenic place, but rather dull. I'll be back in December to check out Bruges, which hopefully will make for a better impression!

Tried a few nice beers though. I'm glad because I'd tried quite a few Belgian beers in the past and hadn't been overly impressed. I'm now a big fan of Westmalle Tripel and La Chouffe (various).
  • MikeP 27 Aug 2014 16:52:08 2,075 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Have you been out with ICC lately Mike?
    I've not, but I should, really. I've been doing rides with one or two mates rather than club stuff. I just wanted to kick back for a few weeks and get some fitness going. That seems to be working alright!

Have you been out with them much?

• elstoof 27 Aug 2014 17:08:04 8,304 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I rarely get out with them, only the very occasional Saturday chain gang if some of the racier types are out. I think I do more of the socials than actual riding with Islington. Good bunch of core members though, the forum is pretty active these days and they're doing a pub quiz on the 16th if you fancy it.
  • MikeP 28 Aug 2014 11:48:25 2,075 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    On holiday that week, but it's good to see that they're rocking along.

• elstoof 28 Aug 2014 11:51:17 8,304 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Up to 300 members now o_O

Although I can see that dropping a bit once the early members let their subs expire.

Edited by elstoof at 11:52:16 28-08-2014
  • Phil-McCrack 28 Aug 2014 15:47:34 3,352 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ouch.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner
    Formerly OptimusPube

• Benno 28 Aug 2014 15:49:56 10,268 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wow, story time?
  • boo 28 Aug 2014 15:50:03 11,929 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What the hell happened? Did he repeatedly run into someone standing there with a hacksaw?

Just Another Lego Blog

• Page

of 375 First / Last