The cycling thread Page 347

• Page

of 373 First / Last

• MikeP 18 Aug 2014 13:48:20 2,030 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Indeed. Staying off the front when the grip is poor is a pretty important lesson!

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• elstoof 18 Aug 2014 13:53:25 8,085 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stay off the front of the group as well, no one can bring you down then.
  • BillMurray 19 Aug 2014 07:50:04 7,858 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bloody hell it's nippy this morning. First time my hands have felt it. Time to get some gloves.
  • PES_Fanboy 19 Aug 2014 08:37:09 18,326 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    Indeed. Staying off the front when the grip is poor is a pretty important lesson!
    But I wanted to win! The first hill. Then spin and draft others for the last 90 miles
  • MikeP 19 Aug 2014 12:38:38 2,030 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    MikeP wrote:
    But I wanted to win! The first hill. Then spin and draft others for the last 90 miles
    To finish first, first you must finish.

• elstoof 19 Aug 2014 13:01:57 8,085 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love that Rick Mears quote.

You doing LBL next year, Mike?
  • urban 19 Aug 2014 13:21:10 11,031 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @BillMurray I started off early this morning with the hope of beating the traffic and getting in fast as fuck.

Soon as I turned onto the A11 from Mile End into Central I was met with a freezing headwind, fuck this and I just hunkered down into a slow roll.

This weather system needs to get the fuck out of here
  • elstoof 19 Aug 2014 13:38:26 8,085 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not that bad! The only thing I've added is a gilet since last week.
  • caligari 19 Aug 2014 21:51:17 17,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:
    Bloody hell it's nippy this morning. First time my hands have felt it. Time to get some gloves.
    I had to break out the Buff this morning - I love wearing a scarf (well, a scarf-type-thing) as my gormless expression sees my mouth collecting far too many insects.
  • caligari 19 Aug 2014 21:53:40 17,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Were you topless before that, Els?

Totally unrelated - can anyone recommend a good road bike chain? I have 30 of Wiggle credit (thanks to a partial Cycle 2 Work refund) so I'm rather tempted by one of KMC's super light-weight babies. They also have a gold version, but I'm worried that it might look a little too hipster (I was uncomfortable with a similar looking thing on one of my single-speeds).
  • mal 19 Aug 2014 21:59:11 22,787 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have to wear gloves all year round, else the vibrations off the shitty roads round here kill my hands within 200 yards of my front door. Fingerless in summer, fingered in autumn, then 2x for a couple of weeks in midwinter.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• MikeP 19 Aug 2014 22:13:11 2,030 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I love that Rick Mears quote.

You doing LBL next year, Mike?
    Nope.

I've lucked out with the weather twice, so I'm not tempting fate a third time! Next year I would like to do some riding in the Alps, also possibly Ventoux, and I'm thinking of a trip with some mates to Germany. Lots of good riding there. Now my blood pressure's all under control I feel like I can settle to some proper planning and training.

Also, thinking of the Tour of Wessex...

• MikeP 19 Aug 2014 22:15:29 2,030 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Were you topless before that, Els?

Totally unrelated - can anyone recommend a good road bike chain? I have 30 of Wiggle credit (thanks to a partial Cycle 2 Work refund) so I'm rather tempted by one of KMC's super light-weight babies. They also have a gold version, but I'm worried that it might look a little too hipster (I was uncomfortable with a similar looking thing on one of my single-speeds).
    Don't go gold, but XMC chains are excellent.

Also, I've switched to using Fenwicks Stealth chain lube. You need to make sure everything's clean before you apply it, and follow the instructions properly. But if you do that it's excellent. Long lasting, no build up of crap either. It needs applying very sparingly, but that means a bottle should last ages.

• caligari 19 Aug 2014 22:19:17 17,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MikeP wrote:

Also, I've switched to using Fenwicks Stealth chain lube. You need to make sure everything's clean before you apply it, and follow the instructions properly. But if you do that it's excellent. Long lasting, no build up of crap either. It needs applying very sparingly, but that means a bottle should last ages.
    Cheers, Mike - I'll give that stuff a go. I wasn't too impressed with Wax etc, and the stuff I've been using only seems to come to life in the rain (strange but true).
  • caligari 19 Aug 2014 22:21:03 17,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mal wrote:
    fingered in autumn
    I thought I had it tough in Winter!
  • boo 20 Aug 2014 10:56:01 11,897 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Morning chaps!

I've taken to going for a ride at 6am three times a week, and broadly speaking I've been able to stick to it. However, I've had to switch from a fluoro gilet to a jacket as the mornings get cooler, and pretty soon it's going to start getting darker too.

At the moment I've got some little Lezyne lights which are enough to draw attention to me, but not good enough for me to see where I'm going if the light's not good.

Any recommendations for a set of lights? Ideally easy to put on / take off. Only going to be used on the road - no mud plugging, and I'm fine with either batteries or USB charging. I've looked at Evans' website (that's probably where I'll end up going), and there's a baffling array of stuff!

Don't mind spending a bit more if it's a quality product that'll last a good few years, particularly if it'll help keep me in one piece.

Cheers.

Just Another Lego Blog

• MikeP 20 Aug 2014 17:33:47 2,030 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    These are the ones I use:

Front: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cateye/el135-3-led-front-light-ec007943

The light is visible from quite a broad range of angles, which helps people see you at junctions.

Rear: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cateye/tl-ld1100-10-led-rear-light-ec007955

That one is great for visibility, you can make it flash like a mobile disco.

If you want a front light that lets you see, rather than just be seen, I really like the Hope Vision 1. Not cheap, but very well made, and uses (hi capacity) AA rechargeables. So you can always have spares on you. The problem with USB lights is that if they go flat, you're screwed.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/hope/vision-1-led-front-light-ec043546

or

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/hope/vision-1-led-front-light-with-battery-pack-and-charger-ec044486

• tombo 20 Aug 2014 18:30:06 2,100 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    These are the ones I use:

Front: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cateye/el135-3-led-front-light-ec007943

The light is visible from quite a broad range of angles, which helps people see you at junctions.
    I had one of these but it packed up after a couple of months - I think the rain got into it.

The damage must have been done when riding it to work, since I keep the bike in the garage overnight and try to take my lights off when I lock it up at other times. It did work pretty well though.

I haven't got round to replacing it for a proper 'lighting the road in front of me' light yet, I just use a couple of hi-vis LEDs for use in traffic.
  • mal 20 Aug 2014 20:10:18 22,787 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I used to have one of those. IIRC the clip part broke off when removing it once, so it went to the tip (along with an older Cateye light which took 4xAAs so went off like a bomb the second time I fumbled it onto concrete). I'm currently rocking a Fortified Defender, which is nice because I don't have to faff with taking it off my bike when I lock up, but I preordered that and while I was waiting for it to be hewn from raw aluminium, I sported a pair of argos 10 quid LED lights, which honestly, did me just fine about town and are still working fine.

• boo 20 Aug 2014 21:16:54 11,897 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers! I'll have a look at those.

Just Another Lego Blog

• elstoof 20 Aug 2014 21:17:26 8,085 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lezyne Macro(or is it Micro?)Drive does my front duties. About 45 quid, rechargeable via USB.
  • Bremenacht 20 Aug 2014 22:38:29 19,342 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I use a version of this thing with a 28650 battery. It's very bright, and functions as a normal torch. I can't vouch for it in the wet, but at that sort of price you'd not be too bothered if it fried. The battery probably cost more.
  • caligari 21 Aug 2014 01:32:11 17,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    I use a version of this thing with a 28650 battery. It's very bright, and functions as a normal torch. I can't vouch for it in the wet, but at that sort of price you'd not be too bothered if it fried. The battery probably cost more.
    I use something similar when riding unlit countryside roads. Almost too bright at times and it attracts lot of bats - but I couldn't live without it!

Normally I'll just use a Moon Meteor on the front. Really bright - solid (but not heavy) - quick to attach/remove - and easy to recharge via USB.

As for the back, I'm hugely impressed with the Knog Blinder Rear 4 LED. Robust - VERY bright - USB recharge - and again, quick and easy to add/remove.

Always a good idea to have a couple of cheaper (but reliable) 'back-up' lights in your bag, too (I carry a Knog Frog/Gekko set) - great for if your main set decide to pop off mid-ride and roll under a bus.

Edited by caligari at 01:36:12 21-08-2014
  • OptimusPube 21 Aug 2014 15:56:54 3,234 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Finally gone clipless, it's fucking awesome, and I haven't done the falling over thing either, took too it like a duck to water.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner

• Megapocalypse 21 Aug 2014 16:00:47 5,491 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Grr. My skippers gone and got himself a new bike (Planet X N2A) and brought it into the office today to show it off (under the pretence of not wanting to leave it outside.) I'm jealous.
  • Megapocalypse 21 Aug 2014 16:01:27 5,491 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @OptimusPube the fall will come. Just accept it.
  • PES_Fanboy 21 Aug 2014 16:06:42 18,326 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's good innit. I don't think there's anything to that 'you can pull up on the pedals' bullshit but you certainly can put more grunt into it and mash the pedals without worrying about your feet slipping off.

My only clipless 'off' was about two months in.
  • OptimusPube 21 Aug 2014 16:14:22 3,234 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I can't believe how easy it is to clip in, it just feels so natural, bloody awkward to walk on though, slippery as hell on my laminate flooring.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner

• mal 21 Aug 2014 16:39:13 22,787 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I reckon being able to pull up on the pedals would get me up some of these 20% inclines round here a lot easier than I can at present. I'm painfully aware that I'm only using one leg at a time to stop myself rolling back to the main road.

Edit: Also, I'd be concerned about walking on them once I get to the shops or have given up and am walking up the valley side. Do you CXers use clipless at all? I'd have thought there's a way to have walking grips that are proud of the clips when on a flat surface, but exposed to a clipless pedal clip, but I've not seen shoes like that - not that I've ever looked very hard.

Edited by mal at 16:42:50 21-08-2014

• PES_Fanboy 21 Aug 2014 16:55:50 18,326 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://roadcyclinguk.com/riding/bike-fitting-the-myth-of-the-upstroke.html#
  • Page

of 373 First / Last