The cycling thread Page 343

• Page

of 360 First / Last

• caligari 29 Jul 2014 08:16:16 17,061 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    If I've done my sums right, I've just about clocked up my first 1,000 miles over the last few months on my cheap ass SportsDirect fixie.

No issues to report, no attempts to steal it (haha). Brakes are, predictably, weak, but I ride it fixie so that's not so much of an issue.

What is an issue, is the weak as shit crank and bottom bracket, which creaks and groans under any sort of load, and the spokes, which I've not bothered to tension so surely at some point will pop a couple (some are looser than jablonski's mum). The saddle was a joke, so I put my old Spesh saddle on from an old bike and it's now lovely.

None of the above detracts really from the fact that the frame is a cromoly lovely, and soaks up the bumps like a champ. And, despite the wheels and trans being cheap flimsy crap, it has really done well!
    Oddly enough, both of my single-speed bikes have a noisy crank - even after replacing one of them last year with a better 'sealed' version.

There must be a 'scientific' reason as to why they always end up making so much blinkin' noise.
  • basmans_grob 29 Jul 2014 09:43:44 304 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Third to fifth in the closing straight. I never was much of a sprinter!
  • Salaman 29 Jul 2014 15:03:37 19,140 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :-)

At least you made it to Paris.
  • PES_Fanboy 30 Jul 2014 18:02:22 16,482 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Right, so I've finally got signed to cycle professionally.

Part time cycle courier (fuck you, it counts). \o/

What worries me is my lack of a sense of direction and mechanical skills. Anyone done it?
  • andytheadequate 30 Jul 2014 19:01:40 8,223 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You can get GPS for bikes, and just make sure you take a pump and puncture repair kit with you.

Anyone have any recommendations on full suss mountain bikes? Probably looking at 1-1.5k
  • elstoof 30 Jul 2014 19:08:43 7,518 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cycle computers are poo for navigation unless you preplan a route, you'll probably be alright with google maps on your phone to be honest. You're in brighton, aren't you? It's such a small town it's hard to get lost there anyway, but with all the one way systems you're probably quicker walking it.

Get some tattoos on your calves and ride like an absolute tool, you'll pick it up soon enough.
  • skiplevels 30 Jul 2014 19:09:28 526 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    MikeP wrote:
    niiiiice. what does it weigh?
  • skiplevels 30 Jul 2014 19:13:07 526 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    MikeP wrote:
    What do you want it to do?
    I want something for fast training rides and all-day club rides. I prefer climbing over e.g. time-trialling so lightness and stiffness are more important than aero profile.

best vfm on market looks like the ultimate AL SLX or the rose xeon RS (or caad 10?) but the roads are so bad up here, I think I should go for carbon. I was thinking maybe getting a sponsor canyon CF SLX but then I don't race so not sure I need all that much bike plus also I am an UBER HIPSTER and want something a little different so considering maybe a rychtarski custom... GAAAAAH
  • PES_Fanboy 30 Jul 2014 19:14:03 16,482 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Cycle computers are poo for navigation unless you preplan a route, you'll probably be alright with google maps on your phone to be honest. You're in brighton, aren't you? It's such a small town it's hard to get lost there anyway, but with all the one way systems you're probably quicker walking it.

Get some tattoos on your calves and ride like an absolute tool, you'll pick it up soon enough.
    Yeah, Brighton. Wanna move to London though soon so am hoping to transfer.

They ride like tools because they're tools, but also because you get paid per delivery
  • skiplevels 30 Jul 2014 19:47:43 526 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    there are some well priced genesis volare 853 framesets on the electronic bay that might make a good build. hmmmm...

basically, I've been saving for a few years and have about 2200£ +/- to play with and want to get the most bike I can for my money that will do for fast training rides in summer. stiffness/lightness a priority

dura-ace, archetypes laced to ultegra hubs and a nice frame for 2200, is that too much to ask?

Edited by skiplevels at 20:05:15 30-07-2014
  • Bremenacht 30 Jul 2014 21:28:25 18,459 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Anyone have any recommendations on full suss mountain bikes? Probably looking at 1-1.5k
    You going new? Would you consider 2nd hand? It's worthwhile picking on a few models you like the look of and then watch fleabay for a few months, learning what kit to look for and the prices that should match. I also scoured SingleTrack and some other forum for advice and ads. Having advice from someone who knows what's what would help a lot.

I had my eye on Orange when I was looking (built in Britain), but ended up with Specialized (FS XC).
  • andytheadequate 30 Jul 2014 21:42:38 8,223 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My current one was second hand and it's cost me an awful lot in repairs and servicing. I'm thinking of trying to pick one up in the end of season sales.

Norco and Canyon are my two favourites so far.
  • SmoothMartin 30 Jul 2014 23:22:04 858 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @PES_Fanboy

I spent the best part of a year after graduation riding for a couple of firms in London. Came to the job with very little knowledge of the streets, but had a good A to Z in my back pocket.

I started in September which is considered the best time to start as all the students are back at college and not competing for your pickups. The first few weeks were pretty slow, but the main thing is to remain enthusiastic on the radio and take any job they throw at you.

We used to get a bonus for working 5 full days and being available 8:30-5:30 and I know that being seen as reliable really counted with the radio controllers. Your main aim as a bike courier is to get as many jobs where you go 2-up or higher, taking multiple packets on a single trip and delivering them in quick succession.

I really enjoyed my time on the bike (though I did have a desk job for January and February which was toasty and dry) and I still revert back to form anytime I go back to London and get on a Boris bike. My knowledge of the West End and the City has also been very useful in shepherding friends around as well.
  • PES_Fanboy 31 Jul 2014 05:37:08 16,482 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers Martin!

I'm gonna do a day a week cycling around That London to get a bit of knowledge before I move. I know the west end sorta but don't really know the City.

Who did you work for, if you don't mind me asking?
  • SmoothMartin 31 Jul 2014 08:17:47 858 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @PES_Fanboy

First company was a very small outfit based at the far end of Old Street whose name I can't remember. I treated that as my apprenticeship and didn't come back after my office job in the depths of winter. My longer period of work was with a Camden based firm called Greyhound.

I always wanted to work for Metro as they got very cool looking Endura kit and seemed to effortless track stand at all the lights. Some of them were part of the sit around drinking coffee couriers though. I think some people did it as a job when they didn't really need the money and could afford to hang around all day posing outside cafes.

It was a great experience, but it's not a career. If you love cycling, particularly dodging traffic and playing chicken with oncoming buses you'll have a great time. Just remember to keep a packet of supermarket flapjack in your bag for on-the-go refuelling and know where the warmest, driest office air vents are so you can shelter by them in winter.
  • PES_Fanboy 31 Jul 2014 09:41:35 16,482 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great advice, cheers! I'm not after a 'career', decided to surf through life doing stuff I like and hopefully get paid for it. I spend most of my day walking or cycling around anyway, difference here may be getting paid for that!
  • MikeP 31 Jul 2014 10:09:01 1,885 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    skiplevels wrote:
    there are some well priced genesis volare 853 framesets on the electronic bay that might make a good build. hmmmm...

basically, I've been saving for a few years and have about 2200£ +/- to play with and want to get the most bike I can for my money that will do for fast training rides in summer. stiffness/lightness a priority

dura-ace, archetypes laced to ultegra hubs and a nice frame for 2200, is that too much to ask?
    The Volare 853 is a good starting point. Don't buy Dura-Ace, get the 11 speed Ultegra 6800 groupset if you're headed in that direction.

It's effectively the same, although I did hear some Shimano engineers had said 6800 has ironed out one or two minor niggles with DA. They think it's possibly the best group set they've ever made.

Archetypes laced to Ultegra will look nice but be heavy (about 1800g a set) Ksyrium Elite S can be had for about £450 a pair, are stiff and only a touch over 1500g a pair.

Bang for buck, Canyon and Rose are going to get you a lot. A CF frame will immediately save you a bit of weight over steel as well. The Ultimate CF ticks a lot of boxes, if they still have your size. http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3241

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• OptimusPube 31 Jul 2014 19:43:19 3,078 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm going clipless for the first time this weekend, I'm absolutely babbing it, going to practise down the rear alley at the back of my house before I hit the roads.

I have been practising leaning against a wall, god what a noob.
    :redface:

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• PES_Fanboy 31 Jul 2014 19:47:54 16,482 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't sweat it fella, everyone eats shit once with them, and usually at such low speeds the only thing hurt is pride.
  • skiplevels 31 Jul 2014 20:10:26 526 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    MikeP wrote:
    The Volare 853 is a good starting point. Don't buy Dura-Ace, get the 11 speed Ultegra 6800 groupset if you're headed in that direction.

It's effectively the same, although I did hear some Shimano engineers had said 6800 has ironed out one or two minor niggles with DA. They think it's possibly the best group set they've ever made.

Archetypes laced to Ultegra will look nice but be heavy (about 1800g a set) Ksyrium Elite S can be had for about £450 a pair, are stiff and only a touch over 1500g a pair.

Bang for buck, Canyon and Rose are going to get you a lot. A CF frame will immediately save you a bit of weight over steel as well. The Ultimate CF ticks a lot of boxes, if they still have your size. http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3241
    was leaning towards handbuilts for bomb-proofedness and rebuild ability. expect ksyriums are pretty robust but managed to bork some aksiums before and that was that, they had to be replaced

6800 + handbuilts + a.n. frame.... just need to decide on which now, within budget
  • Benno 31 Jul 2014 20:41:21 9,935 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    I'm going clipless for the first time this weekend, I'm absolutely babbing it, going to practise down the rear alley at the back of my house before I hit the roads.

I have been practising leaning against a wall, god what a noob.
    :redface:
    I went clipless and I've never fallen off, don't worry about it
  • elstoof 31 Jul 2014 21:09:04 7,518 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I never fell off clipless, I don't know many that have either. It's probably a self perpetuating myth, if you think you're due to fall then you likely will. Just remember to twist your foot out before you come to a stop and use the same leg every time.

or learn to track stand and never unclip.
  • PES_Fanboy 31 Jul 2014 21:11:59 16,482 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, fuck you all, I did. Track standing with a non-fixie is well tough.
  • MikeP 31 Jul 2014 21:48:55 1,885 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've fallen over twice in clipless in about 20 years of riding. Although to be fair the first time was because they were really early ones that used elastomers instead of steel springs. Elastomers get stiffer as they get cold. Something I discovered when I tried to get my foot out in the middle of a winter ride!

You'll be fine, as El's says, twist & make sure your foot is out early.

@skiplevels, if you want a lighter handbuilt look at using Ambrosio Nemesis or Novatech hubs, with a lighter rim like Ambrosio Excellight. Strada Wheels are a good company to look at, as are Wheelsmith.

http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/

http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• OptimusPube 31 Jul 2014 22:23:47 3,078 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm already good at track standing, practise it everyday as a little side game, I have competitions with my eldest sometimes to see who can last longest, I win every time, whoo to me.

I finish work early on a Friday so we'll see how it goes, I now have a little good luck mascot/ride buddy atop my handle bars, he's called funky monkey and he has a little red cape.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• caligari 31 Jul 2014 22:31:10 17,061 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have fallen over a couple of times when using clipless - one was from attempting to cycle in a tight circle when waiting for someone to catch up (bad idea) and the other was on ice. That said, I've fallen off twice as many times when I'm not using clipless!
  • skiplevels 2 Aug 2014 21:50:30 526 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @MikeP thanks mike, I live in glasgow so have access to one of the best wheel builders in the country http://www.wheelcraft.net
  • OptimusPube 3 Aug 2014 19:06:36 3,078 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well I didn't go clipless, had a fun day though but I'm getting sick of picking up glass shards on my local route, funnily enough it's nearly always Becks beer bottles, fucking chavs.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• urban 3 Aug 2014 20:11:44 10,945 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just 7 days until I'm riding the Ridelondon 100. I'm second wave leaving at 6:10 which I believe will put me in with a fairly elite group.

I'm going to die.
  • Psychotext 3 Aug 2014 21:48:12 54,311 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just got back from a skills weekend. I don't suck quite as much as I thought I did. Yay.
  • Page

of 360 First / Last