The cycling thread Page 340

• Page

of 357 First / Last

• grey_matters 9 Jul 2014 09:15:20 3,757 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    After making a balls of Sheffield, surely Sagan finally takes yellow today.
  • boo 9 Jul 2014 10:16:01 11,785 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have we lost a bunch of posts?
    I asked some general race questions after watching the day 1 coverage, and a couple of people answered and filled in some gaps about yellow jerseys, green jerseys, team tactics and so forth, but they all seem to have disappeared.

Just Another Lego Blog

• elstoof 9 Jul 2014 10:22:54 7,376 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's a TdF thread I think.
  • boo 9 Jul 2014 10:50:55 11,785 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /slaps head

Cheers!

Just Another Lego Blog

• OptimusPube 10 Jul 2014 01:19:26 3,034 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Saw my first professional race this evening, was bloody outstanding and boy do they ride fast, it was the British Cycling National Circuit Race Championship, Adam Blyth and Eileen Roe won their respective races, got hold of a few freebies and one of the team Raleigh riders gave me his water bottle. :D

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC

• OptimusPube 10 Jul 2014 01:19:55 3,034 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh and the bikes, wow, I can only dream.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC

• urban 14 Jul 2014 12:40:05 10,945 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone else do the Dunwich Dynamo on Saturday? Was great fun!

Bit far to be called a training ride tho
  • basmans_grob 14 Jul 2014 18:13:03 290 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I did. We were damn lucky with weather but the coach was an arse. From the time I started queuing on the beach to time I got my bike back in London was the same as my cycling time!
  • elstoof 14 Jul 2014 18:23:43 7,376 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Totally forgot it was last weekend. Great effort guys, I'll have to have a crack at it one day but the thought of train or coaching it back keeps making me sack the idea off.
  • urban 15 Jul 2014 08:52:56 10,945 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @basmans_grob Ouch! There was another guy running a smaller coach called Louis Quinton and he'd just hired 2 vans and 2 coaches. I think we got lucky going with the smaller outfit but even that had a few mixups and hold ups, bus is ready to leave...has a toilet and people get off to go to the toilet. ARGH!

Did people get grumpy because they were so exhausted?

I was so knackered that I fell asleep with a bottle of beer in my hand, woke up thinking it was my phone and went to put in my pocket....and poured a whole bottle of beer into my pocket onto my phone!

Thankfully it was the works iPhone and not mine :-)
  • basmans_grob 15 Jul 2014 09:33:18 290 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    People were getting seriously grumpy, myself included. After no sleep all the hassle just gets to you very quickly.

The one good thing about the London to Brigton were the coaches. People queued and as soon as a coach was full then the coach went, my bike and I were loaded onto a coach before 9:30 but we didn't leave until nearly 11. I think next time I'm going to train harder to be able to ride to a station as this is second time I've done the DD and both times the travel home was quite surprisingly stressful.
  • elstoof 15 Jul 2014 10:04:35 7,376 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    basmans_grob wrote:
    I think next time I'm going to train harder to be able to ride back home
    Fixed ;-)
  • urban 15 Jul 2014 10:06:41 10,945 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My girlfriend loves driving, I love cycling.

I see a solution here...
  • MikeP 15 Jul 2014 12:28:39 1,869 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My missus has driven to the beach at Dunwich on the Sunday morning and picked me and my mate up when I've done it. She's a hero.

Didn't do the Dun Run this year, I was doing The Crossing instead. 3-day off road coast to coast on the MTB. 190 miles, 18,500ft of climbing. My knees are a bit sore.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• elstoof 15 Jul 2014 12:37:10 7,376 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds like a good weekend there Mike. Did you do the solstice ride?
  • MikeP 15 Jul 2014 12:46:57 1,869 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I couldn't in the end - my blood pressure was all out of whack, which explained why I'd been feeling off colour for quite a while.

Seems it's hereditary, and I'm now taking a low dose of a category of drug called ACE inhibitors that are doing the trick. They aren't on the WADA list, I checked :D

• elstoof 15 Jul 2014 12:54:58 7,376 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Glad you're on the mend mate, we'll have to arrange another spin to celebrate :D

Someone I ride with from time to time might actually have to go on EPO, some sort of anaemic condition with her red blood cells only lasting a month.
  • shamblemonkee 15 Jul 2014 12:55:38 14,393 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Doing my first organised ride this weekend, 56mi from ashton gate bristol to the beach at Weston-onthe-Mud.

Pretty excited, just hope the weather holds!

Any advice?!
  • basmans_grob 15 Jul 2014 13:27:31 290 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Try not to get used to the number of riders and the absence of cars. On a couple of times on big ride there have been no cars for ages and all the riders on the road lulled me into a false sense of security. When a car does appear it can get a little, scary.

Take into account the number of riders when dealing with the cars and allow them more leeway. There might be situations that it might be better to allow cars to pull out into the road simply because otherwise they cant actually get anywhere due to the number of riders and thats not fair on them and also makes them unhappy with cyclists in general.
  • MikeP 15 Jul 2014 13:49:07 1,869 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    Doing my first organised ride this weekend, 56mi from ashton gate bristol to the beach at Weston-onthe-Mud.

Pretty excited, just hope the weather holds!

Any advice?!
    Don't let the adrenaline take over at the start, it's really easy to start to fast and fall to pieces at the end. If you measure your effort it's normally more fun!

• shamblemonkee 15 Jul 2014 14:31:02 14,393 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers guys sound stuff. I'm used to weekened rides down tiny lanes in the countryside with just me and a friend so having hundreds around will be a big change.

Usually only used to that when the local clubs zip by 😃
  • elstoof 15 Jul 2014 14:47:35 7,376 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Keep an eye out for people half wheeling you and tell them to piss right of when they do.
  • Bi50N Global Brand Manager, Deep Silver 15 Jul 2014 15:13:45 297 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I did the Dynamo for the second time this year, this time having persuaded three friends to join. I used Louis' coach service last year, seemed much better than the 'official' ones back then, but it sounds like he has been a victim of his own success... This year we crashed at one of our group's parents' farm and took a late train back from Ipswich...

It's an annual must-do for me now, even the weather couldn't spoil it...

http://twitter.com/Bi50N

• caligari 17 Jul 2014 10:33:36 17,057 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone here ever use/see a pair of Fulcrum Quattro wheels?

I picked some up for a half-decent price from Wiggle the other day. On closer inspection I noticed that both the front and rear wheel have a very small (about 2mm in diameter) hole drilled into them - a few centimetres above the rim.

I had a quick Google around and could find nothing mentioned on any of the sites selling the wheels - but I did stumble across a thread about a different set of wheels, where the guys came to the conclusion that the holes were for draining water. Seems a bit strange as surely it will allow water IN, too.

The bike mechanic at my LBS was a little uncertain as to whether they were supposed to be there. Weird! They're definitely not on my old Fulcrum 5 wheels.

Edited by caligari at 10:36:25 17-07-2014
  • Dougs 17 Jul 2014 10:38:41 67,760 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ask Wiggle? They seem pretty decent....
  • caligari 17 Jul 2014 10:42:08 17,057 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jah, I messaged them last night but haven't received a reply yet. I'm just being impatient.
  • elstoof 17 Jul 2014 10:45:16 7,376 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Where abouts is the hole, on he brake track?
  • caligari 17 Jul 2014 11:04:31 17,057 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Where abouts is the hole, on he brake track?
    No - about an inch above the brake track.

I'll see if I can get a photograph uploaded.
  • Page

of 357 First / Last