The cycling thread Page 335

• Page

of 348 First / Last

• Benno 12 Jun 2014 08:33:24 9,831 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So I got TrainerRoad set up, and have been enjoying training with virtual power. I did the initial 20 minute FTP test, which was an absolute bitch!

I have also got a couple of Sufferfest vids. The triathlon course I am training for is very hilly, so I downloaded their 'Angels' workout to try and improve my climbing during the week.

One question for those who use turbo trainers, what do you do about tyre wear? I can already seen my tyres getting worn out. Do I need to buy another wheel and tyre purely for the turbo trainer and keep swapping them over? seems like a right arse on.

Edited by Benno at 08:34:08 12-06-2014
  • elstoof 12 Jun 2014 09:05:21 6,952 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The cheapest and least convenient option is to buy a hard compound trainer tyre and swap tyres every time.

More convenient but more spendy is a wheel and cassette to swap.

Even more convenient but even more expensive, is a dedicated turbo bike that's always set up and ready to go.
  • Benno 12 Jun 2014 11:31:39 9,831 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is the most convenient option just to wear through tyres/buy tyres more often?
  • elstoof 12 Jun 2014 11:51:11 6,952 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nah... You'll melt the tyres to nothing and end up puncturing when out head out on the road.
  • Benno 12 Jun 2014 11:53:47 9,831 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fuck it, I might just replace with a trainer-specific tyre every week then. Its probably useful practice for if I get a flat during the tri.

Tis a very expensive hobby!
  • Benno 12 Jun 2014 12:23:01 9,831 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At the moment, I'm not massively happy with my gear ratios for climbing hills (I have this bike), which as far as I have researched has a pretty forgiving high gear already, with the cassette being 11-30T, on a 50/34T chainset.

I can make it up the hills, but even at the highest gear, I am mashing at about 60-70RPM on the steeper grades and it burns up my legs. I would prefer to get closer to 90-100 where I feel most comfortable.

If I am buying a new wheel and cassette for my turbo trainer, doesn't it make sense to replace my cassette entirely and use the old one on the trainer? I could then buy an 11-32 or 34 which would make the climbs easier?

My bike fitness is improving week by week (only started properly in January), but I have to keep enough juice in my legs to run a half marathon after the bike ride in the triathlon, so the easier I can make it on my legs the better.

Cheers for any help!
  • MikeP 12 Jun 2014 13:20:14 1,800 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Couple of things to consider.

If you buy an 11-32 cassette you'll also need a long cage rear derailleur if you don't have one already. The longer cage lets it cope with the variation in the amount of chain that needs to be held under tension.

You may also need a new chain, as the 11-32 is bigger.

I went for a dedicated trainer tyre, wheel and cassette that I swap on and off the bike. If you use a turbo regularly that's probably the best compromise on cost and ease of use.

And yes, it can be an expensive hobby. Although when I went MTBing on the weekend I rode around with two guys each of whom had carbon fibre Santa Cruz full suspension bikes worth about £7,500. Or so they said. I thought I spent a lot of money!

Edited by MikeP at 13:22:17 12-06-2014

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Benno 12 Jun 2014 13:25:25 9,831 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks Mike

I think i'm getting ahead of myself. I will do the same as you and get a dedicated trainer tyre, wheel and cassette as els suggested above. I will stick with the same 105 cassette.

I will try and solve my climbing problem by trying to become more comfortable at lower cadences, increase my pedalling efficiency and improve my overall fitness/power for 8-10 minute bursts (which I am hoping the Sufferfest Angels workout will help with)
  • elstoof 12 Jun 2014 13:50:49 6,952 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you're binding up in your lowest combination, maybe try to force the pace a bit to get the cadence up - you might find you're more comfortable going up quicker rather than slowly.

I often bind up on steep climbs due to my "optimistic" gearing set up, pedalling slowly in 39-25 up Bisons or Swains is tough. Jumping out the saddle to get the cranks ticking over helps a lot once I've settled into the rhythm.
  • Benno 12 Jun 2014 14:05:22 9,831 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hit my V02 max within about a minute of climbing on these hills. They are steep for me, about 9-10% grade, which is probably considered flatland for some riders. My power to weight ratio isn't fantastic, so even though I can lay down some decent pace on the flats, as soon as things start going uphill I struggle :) I'm just big and cumbersome, 6"6"/95kg.

I might start shifting up a gear where possible in my training rides on the more manageable climbs. I need to be more comfortable at around 70RPM.
  • elstoof 12 Jun 2014 14:11:12 6,952 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    10% is a steep hill, some of the famous alpine climbs only average a mere 6 or 7%.

Your size means you'll never be flying up hills to be honest, but you should be able to brute force yourself up shorter climbs with a bit of practice. I'd ignore your VO2 figures too, putting those sorts of ceilings on things has a way of holding you back psychologically :D
  • PES_Fanboy 12 Jun 2014 14:26:52 14,601 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rollers are so much more fun than turbos and don't wear the tyres so fast. Once you get the hang of them (I still have 'near disasters' on mine from time to time).

You used to be able to buy special turbo trainer tyres made from a really hard compound (they're also made to be quieter too). Unsure if such a thing still exists...
  • Benno 12 Jun 2014 14:30:22 9,831 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes you can still buy those tyres, I have one in my wiggle basket now, ready to buy. I am going to buy an entry level Shimano rear wheel and a new cassette and just switch over tyres when I use my trainer.

As for rollers, I prefer the fluid trainer I am using, as I can take advantage of trainerroad's virtual power system.

Just 20 minutes on the trainer used to feel like a lifetime, I would hate it. But with my new virtual power setup + trainerroad + sufferfest, I will easily clock an hour on the trainer without getting bored or checking the time. I only take the bike outside once a week now for a long weekend ride.
  • MikeP 12 Jun 2014 16:17:11 1,800 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What trainer do you have, Benno?

• Benno 12 Jun 2014 19:15:52 9,831 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This one. Its quiet enough for my third floor flat and is smooth to ride on. I think mine was defective as its asymmetric to some extent, and i have to prop up the left side on a couple of small books to make it level! Apart from that its fine, and TrainerRoad has a pre-programmed power curve for it.

I am currently using Angels (to help with climbing), and sweet spot workouts such as Eichorn (which doesn't drain me as much, but has yielded noticeable improvements in my sustainable pace)

What trainer/workouts do you guys use?
  • elstoof 12 Jun 2014 19:40:26 6,952 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The road and Rule #5, for me. Intervals now and again, but generally follow the Merckx method - go hard when I feel good, easy if I don't. And mileage, lots of mileage.
  • DaM 12 Jun 2014 20:11:16 12,971 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got those thick puncture resistant tubes, fitted on on the back (and found the shard of glass). They are a bit heavy duty...like a condom you would probably have worn to shag a bloke up the arse in the late 80s, if that was your cup of tea.

550g each! I'll see if they slow me down....
  • MikeP 12 Jun 2014 20:45:40 1,800 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    This one. Its quiet enough for my third floor flat and is smooth to ride on. I think mine was defective as its asymmetric to some extent, and i have to prop up the left side on a couple of small books to make it level! Apart from that its fine, and TrainerRoad has a pre-programmed power curve for it.

I am currently using Angels (to help with climbing), and sweet spot workouts such as Eichorn (which doesn't drain me as much, but has yielded noticeable improvements in my sustainable pace)

What trainer/workouts do you guys use?
    I've got a Kurt Kinetic Rock n Roll. I followed the two intermediate base programs this year, then I've switched to doing Eichorn to keep my legs turning over.

Gets harder to focus on the Turbo in the summer, so I'll do more outdoors. If I want a hard session there are plenty of slopes to tackle near me (Swains Lane for one) But generally I use it to keep me fit so I can get as much out of my summer riding as possible.

• grey_matters 15 Jun 2014 15:59:45 3,687 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bizarre stage at the Dauphine today.
    Pretty much everyone in the top 15 bar Contador and Froome got in the break. Contador left it very late to attack Froome (still 25km to go though) and just missed out on catching up enough to stay in yellow. Froome had nothing today. Talansky wins, Froome outside top ten.
  • gang_of_bitches 15 Jun 2014 16:15:13 5,447 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Was indeed weird. I'm hoping Froome was just suffering from his crash, but Contador seemed to just completely fuck it up and leave himself too much to do.
  • OptimusPube 15 Jun 2014 17:15:20 2,924 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Perfect conditions for riding today, I've had a blast, no blazing winds, no blistering sunshine, just a nice breeze.

Decided to get myself lost just because to explore new places (don't have a GPS yet as I have no money), ended up in a little place called South Ferriby, I went down this road with a 10% gradient that was about 3/4 mile long, then it immediately dawned on me I'm going to have to climb that, on my way back I only got half way up and for the first time ever had to walk the rest, I'm such a failure. :(.

Has been a great day though, finally hit my goal of cruising at 20 mph constantly where I could on the flats, 45 miles in all.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• elstoof 15 Jun 2014 18:24:58 6,952 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We've all to walk it at one point or other.

A mate of mine was at a sportive on the Mortirolo last week, after slogging it up his 39-27 was just slipping in the gravel near the top where the road gets challenging. No choice but to push in the conditions - as he crested the hill he was greeted by a very smug faced photographer to catch his moment of shame :D
  • Benno 15 Jun 2014 19:07:52 9,831 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I saw 2 riders for the first time on my usual hill, both were walking up it. Starting to think i'm not so unfit. Also discovered my gears weren't indexing properly, so what i thought was the highest gear, was actually the second highest gear. Bike shop re-indexed for me, and now I can get back into my 30 tooth which makes the hills a little more manageable!
  • MikeP 15 Jun 2014 20:39:46 1,800 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had a lovely ride on Saturday around Kent, what with riding to the meet up point and back it turned into about an 80-mile day out.

I've been suffering from a virus of some sort for a couple of weeks, so it was good to get out and feel alright, rather than struggling along.

• OptimusPube 16 Jun 2014 18:54:21 2,924 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hey guys, I've a friend buying a cheapish but not nasty cheapish hybrid tomorrow, It comes with the same crappy stock tyres that mine did so told him to change them straight away, they're 700c and it will just be for casual riding, days out with the family, what do you recommend?

I've been looking at the Continental country plus, I've got Gatorskins but he'll want something for rougher terrains obviously.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC²

• elstoof 16 Jun 2014 19:23:41 6,952 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd just use the ones it comes with until they die.
  • DaM 16 Jun 2014 19:31:04 12,971 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If he's just mucking about with the family, he's going to be on a much better bike than them to start with.

I took my 10 year old out for a quick 30 on easy off road, some hills. I had a go at him for not trying enough, but I think he might have found it a bit harder on his wee bike....

Big one for Xmas.
  • gang_of_bitches 16 Jun 2014 20:37:39 5,447 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @DaM 30 miles or minutes?
  • DaM 16 Jun 2014 21:43:33 12,971 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Minutes! 30 miles would probably have social services after me! Though I did watch him run 5k last week, no training, hardly broke a sweat....
  • MikeP 16 Jun 2014 22:19:10 1,800 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    If he's just mucking about with the family, he's going to be on a much better bike than them to start with.

I took my 10 year old out for a quick 30 on easy off road, some hills. I had a go at him for not trying enough, but I think he might have found it a bit harder on his wee bike....

Big one for Xmas.
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOBBYFAT/on-one-baby-fatty-fat-bike

Do it, do it, do it. :D

• Page

of 348 First / Last