Jewellery website re-launch

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • scitzoid-pingu 5 Nov 2007 21:31:53 786 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hi all, after a complete rewrite of Mrs Pingus jewellery website (I wondered where all my evenings had gone) and a house move, she's decided to re-launch with a 10% discount on orders over Ł10 for all regulards, friends and family. Just enter the promotional code "festive countdown" (without quotes) on the shopping cart checkout page.
    I'd be interested in hearing opinions on the website design.

Thanks.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 5 Nov 2007 21:45:47 12,752 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Evening, I remember you launching the original, hope business has been well? I like the new design layout and colour scheme, it's very soft and inoffensive. The menu on the left is ok, like before it doesn't tell the user what site he/she is on. For example, when in Bridal -> Crystal, the crystal sub menu should be highlighted, perhaps with a softer shade of blue or smaller daisy icon (cool icon btw).

I think the daisy icon should be clickable too, bring one back to the homepage

Best of luck though, thank you for the discount
  • BravoGolf Moderator 5 Nov 2007 21:48:08 12,752 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Love the image function though
  • WrongShui 5 Nov 2007 21:49:56 6,622 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Get ready for thousands of random people using the code.
  • scitzoid-pingu 5 Nov 2007 21:58:36 786 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks for the kind words Bravo, business has been ticking over but couldn't really push it while we were renting. Now we are on the property ladder we can push more.
    The menu is a step on from last time, now it remembers which section you were in, I'll have a look at the highlighting as I do like that idea.

@ Wrongshui - Bring it on! :o) The more business the better!
  • BravoGolf Moderator 5 Nov 2007 22:04:53 12,752 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    scitzoid pingu wrote:
    Thanks for the kind words Bravo, business has been ticking over but couldn't really push it while we were renting. Now we are on the property ladder we can push more.
    The menu is a step on from last time, now it remembers which section you were in, I'll have a look at the highlighting as I do like that idea.

@ Wrongshui - Bring it on! :o) The more business the better!

It's not too difficult, your site is written in PHP so a simple if function is all it takes. Basically, check the title of the page, if it equals so and so, then use different CSS class. If your familiar with PHP, I can send you code from eye-floaters.com
  • scitzoid-pingu 5 Nov 2007 22:12:31 786 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cool, would be interested to see that. Spent a long time hand coding the PHP on the site. The menu itself is javascript based and there is only one main page for displaying the jewellery. I'm using PHP includes and MySQL databases to show the different sections based on the options passed to the page. Shouldn't be to tricky to squeeze some conditional work in there for the highlighting.
  • Dant 5 Nov 2007 22:13:24 894 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As someone who works with boring generic ecommerce sites all day, yours is a breath of fresh air. Very original and I love the way everything works, even those little stock buttons!

I don't need any jewellery but good job on the site :-)
  • scitzoid-pingu 5 Nov 2007 22:21:56 786 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dant wrote:
    As someone who works with boring generic ecommerce sites all day, yours is a breath of fresh air. Very original and I love the way everything works, even those little stock buttons!

I don't need any jewellery but good job on the site :-)

Cheers mate :o) Mrs Pingu will tell you that I'm overly critical of my work and need a little ego massage once in a while to cheer me up.
  • Angel_Treats 5 Nov 2007 22:25:36 11,072 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really like the new site, and I like the way the product shots enlarge when you click on them, much nicer than opening a new page. You've done a great job.

The only thing I would suggest is that she should have some more product shots on the front page to entice people to click further into the site. As it is, it's a wee bit plain and doesn't really offer any indication as to how nice the jewellery is.

The jewellery itself is absolutely lovely (I've bought some, I think everyone should spend lots of money on this site - EGers with wives and girlfriends take note). I have my eye on one or two bits for people's Christmas pressies.
  • scitzoid-pingu 5 Nov 2007 22:37:21 786 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    I really like the new site, and I like the way the product shots enlarge when you click on them, much nicer than opening a new page. You've done a great job.

The only thing I would suggest is that she should have some more product shots on the front page to entice people to click further into the site. As it is, it's a wee bit plain and doesn't really offer any indication as to how nice the jewellery is.

The jewellery itself is absolutely lovely (I've bought some, I think everyone should spend lots of money on this site - EGers with wives and girlfriends take note). I have my eye on one or two bits for people's Christmas pressies.

Hi A_T, always a pleasure to hear from you. Good point about the front page, hopefully we'll have lots of new pictures soon that could go on the front page and the gallery. Mrs Pingu has been doing quite a lot of bespoke wedding pieces lately (including a Goth wedding that's happening next year) so they could fit the bill.

We've got a stand at a craft fair weekend after next so that may provide some photo opportunities as well.
  • Angel_Treats 5 Nov 2007 22:56:51 11,072 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Where's the craft fair? Anywhere in/near London?

Hope the house move went well btw, these things are never without stress!
  • scitzoid-pingu 5 Nov 2007 23:06:14 786 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    Where's the craft fair? Anywhere in/near London?

Hope the house move went well btw, these things are never without stress!

I'm afraid it's in deepest, darkest Suffolk. Place called Burwell, between Cambridge and Bury St Edmunds.

House move was interesting, had to buy a DIY project to get the house size, plot and country location we wanted. Going to be doing DIY for a long time!
  • silentbob 5 Nov 2007 23:06:19 29,026 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    It's a freeware JS and CSS library called Lightbox. It's superb, and will be making an appearance in my next project.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• BravoGolf Moderator 6 Nov 2007 00:22:13 12,752 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    BravoGolf wrote:
    It's a freeware JS and CSS library called Lightbox. It's superb, and will be making an appearance in my next project.

Cool, I'll be using it too :) Thank you
  • BravoGolf Moderator 6 Nov 2007 00:33:20 12,752 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SC - PM your email address and I'll send across the PHP files
  • JayeM 6 Nov 2007 00:38:16 3,386 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Website is looking very well designed and welcoming. :)
  • scitzoid-pingu 6 Nov 2007 08:56:46 786 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Bob and Bravo - It's similar to lightbox but not quite the same. It's called thumbnail viewer and is available here. I did originally use lightbox but had compatibility issues on some browsers. This one worked with everything I tried on PC, Mac and Linux.

Thanks for looking and the comments JayeM, much appreciated.
  • scitzoid-pingu 2 Dec 2007 22:47:50 786 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @bravo - finally got round to changing the menu to include a menu highlight on the section you're viewing.
    Had to do it slightly different as I'm using one page to display each section and the output of the display page changes based on the page options. So put an extra bit of php in each menu option to check the page options and change the background of the menu.
  • Charroux 3 Dec 2007 08:33:13 792 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The site looks nice - I like the colours and graphic design.

However I think the information about the products could be better. Each product deserves its own page, its own name, and a lot more information than the current one-line description. This would help with SEO (and thus more google & yahoo traffic), would be more user-friendly, and would help the site convert better.

In the very short term, add a unique page title according to the category. Here are the pages you have listed on google: here. As you can see, they all share the same title. A more descriptive one might be "Animals Earrings at Chain of Daisies", and "Stars Necklaces at Chain of Daisies" and so on.

Also, I recommend looking at importing stuff to Google Base. You can write a simple PHP script to export to a CSV file. Upload that (it's free), and you'll get extremely targeted traffic. You can find out more here: Google Base UK
  • Charroux 3 Dec 2007 08:33:13 792 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Damn double posting
  • scitzoid-pingu 3 Dec 2007 22:36:52 786 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Charroux wrote:
    The site looks nice - I like the colours and graphic design.
    Thanks mate, glad you like it.
    However I think the information about the products could be better. Each product deserves its own page, its own name, and a lot more information than the current one-line description. This would help with SEO (and thus more google & yahoo traffic), would be more user-friendly, and would help the site convert better.
    Interesting idea, but the current site was intended to have the stock displayed in categories and searchable (it's all in mysql databases). Once Mrs Pingu is set up to do lampwork (hand made glass), then she'll be providing more detailed info.

In the very short term, add a unique page title according to the category. Here are the pages you have listed on google: here. As you can see, they all share the same title. A more descriptive one might be "Animals Earrings at Chain of Daisies", and "Stars Necklaces at Chain of Daisies" and so on.
    That's probably down to the way the site is designed, it uses one page to display the products using PHP includes to pull in different database searches based on what gets selected. Might be able to do something funky with PHP to rewrite the title, but I am using an include to pull in the header and footer of the page, so it's fairly static. Went for the re-use bits as much as possible idea.

Also, I recommend looking at importing stuff to Google Base. You can write a simple PHP script to export to a CSV file. Upload that (it's free), and you'll get extremely targeted traffic. You can find out more here: Google Base UK
    Haven't looked at Google Base yet, did flirt with Analytics but didn't take it any further, will check out base when I get a chance.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next