Sold a fake on eBay - what to do...

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • sanctusmortis 3 Nov 2007 23:24:16 9,627 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, my copy of FF VI off eBay turned up today...

There's a box, still folded flat and seemingly brand new, a cart, and a manual. Slightly alarming...

The manual is 6 pages. That's not right. The box looks nothing like this, either; no copyright text at the top, top flap totally wrong, sides wrong, bottom of cover worng - oh, and the cart's very iffy. There's a JAPANESE TEXT seal over the screw (it's supposedly a US copy), the colour of the plastic of the two halves differ (the back of the cart's an actual GBA cart, the front a fake), and the sticker's not even put on properly.

The question is - what do I do? I actually want to play the game, and that it does fine. But, really, I should report the seller. And that might mean losing it, as I'm pretty sure eBay and Nintendo won't want me keeping it.

What would you guys do?
  • heyyo 3 Nov 2007 23:25:46 14,374 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Same thing as Jesus.
  • Micro_Explosion 3 Nov 2007 23:25:59 9,695 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Never, ever buy GBA games of eBay.
  • GuiltySpark 3 Nov 2007 23:27:23 6,325 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you're sure it works fine, then shrug your shoulders and mumble "meh".

It might be pretty damn annoying, but still, you can play the game perfectly.

Or, complete the game and then report the seller?

Get bent.

• sanctusmortis 3 Nov 2007 23:37:49 9,627 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It works fine. It seems. I only switched it on, and got to the menu.

I've reported the item on eBay - people have previously said they've been sold fakes by him too, but being someone who actually KNOWS STUFF I can prove it's a fake.
  • Zachm 3 Nov 2007 23:40:37 238 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I bought some GBA games on Ebay that turned out to be fake once.
    They played fine, but the game saves used to erase all the time.
    Hopefully that won't happen to your copy, because it makes rpgs pretty much unplayable.
  • sanctusmortis 3 Nov 2007 23:42:33 9,627 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zachm wrote:
    I bought some GBA games on Ebay that turned out to be fake once.
    They played fine, but the game saves used to erase all the time.
    Hopefully that won't happen to your copy, because it makes rpgs pretty much unplayable.

That, right there, is why it gets reported. I'm hoping that, if Nintendo DO want it off me, I get an official copy! Or at least a refund from Paypal, preferably with compensation.
  • hoof 4 Nov 2007 02:39:32 823 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I once bought a fake copy of Tactics Ogre off ebay. The seller was very nice about it and sent me a replacement...also fake.

We repeated the process about four times, until I eventually got a copy that enabled me to actually save the game.
    \
    Probably still a fake, but at least it worked, and at least he was happy to keep sending shitty copies until it got sorted out.

Er, what was my point again?

• SuperZ 4 Nov 2007 02:41:41 1,018 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    hypernova wrote:
    Micro_Explosion wrote:
    Never, ever buy GBA games of eBay.
    I got sent a fake GBA game, e-mailed the seller who made up some shitty excuse. I demanded a refund by a certain time or I would report him - got the refund but he wouldn't send me his address to send the game back so I ended up with that too. Win win.
  • beep 4 Nov 2007 04:50:42 448 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I bought Zelda: Minish Cap off eBay a while ago. I knew it was a fake as soon a it arrived as the box was poorly printed, the manual was short and read more like a preview of the game, and the cart itself had 'Nintondo' on it.

The game still worked fine though, and I couldn't be arsed to get a refund. I just won't ever buy GBA games again from eBay.
  • sanctusmortis 4 Nov 2007 07:45:32 9,627 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've actually been a bastard and passed his details to Nintendo - his eBay ID and real name...
  • NewYork 4 Nov 2007 08:51:09 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    as I'm pretty sure eBay and Nintendo won't want me keeping it.
    I don't think they care that much :)

Just demand a refund. Judging from past stories on this forum, sellers of dodgy stuff don't mind giving refunds when they're called out.
  • NewYork 4 Nov 2007 08:51:49 24,838 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To avoid being reported, I mean.
  • toy_brain 4 Nov 2007 09:40:49 1,256 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My big question is, why did you have to use Ebay in the first place?

Sorry, not trying to be an arsehole here or anything, but your profile says you live in Co. Durham - same as me - so isnt there, like, a certain chain of shops where you could buy a US copy of the game off the shelves for 25

At least there was when I last checked their Metrocentre branch - which was Wednesday.
  • Xerx3s 4 Nov 2007 09:47:44 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would hunt down the seller and burn him at the cross. What?
  • siro 4 Nov 2007 11:14:39 1,826 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I once got fake earphones from eBay. Also threatened him and pointed the website to the seller without succeess. Scamming on eBay seems so easy, everybody should do it. And then they'd start to think about some serious measures to prevent it. :)
  • Deleted user 4 November 2007 12:08:47
    The problem with those fake carts is that they fail sooner or later. Either the flash memory goes so you cant save or the cart just stops working.

I used to buy gba games when i was travelling in asia and it was utterly impossible to get real ones. Really frustrating if it claps out before youve finished it.
  • nickthegun 4 Nov 2007 12:22:22 58,907 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NewYork wrote:
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    as I'm pretty sure eBay and Nintendo won't want me keeping it.
    I don't think they care that much :)

Just demand a refund. Judging from past stories on this forum, sellers of dodgy stuff don't mind giving refunds when they're called out.

True. If you politely ask for a refund and state that you will have to contact ebay otherwise, most pirates wont risk their account for the sake of a few quid.

Dont forget to ask for your postage costs to be refunded.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 4 November 2007 12:26:22
    I'm constantly on the lookout for a copy of Breath of Fire in as decent condition as possible, and last year I thought I'd finally found it on ebay. Turns out it was the fakiest fake I'd fake'n seen in my entire life. I just sent the bastard back no problems.
  • sanctusmortis 4 Nov 2007 17:15:27 9,627 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    toy_brain wrote:

Sorry, not trying to be an arsehole here or anything, but your profile says you live in Co. Durham - same as me - so isnt there, like, a certain chain of shops where you could buy a US copy of the game off the shelves for 25

At least there was when I last checked their Metrocentre branch - which was Wednesday.

Yes, but this was 11. A lot less.
  • Dixons 4 Nov 2007 17:23:18 1,230 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Never buy 'official' iPod earphones where the seller is located in Hong Kong. Three words; cheap, fake, plastic.

You have been warned.
  • aine 4 Nov 2007 18:12:01 718 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't buy 'official' iPod earphones from anywhere, they're shit and overpriced.
  • mrpon 4 Nov 2007 18:37:34 28,495 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    toy_brain wrote:

Yes, but this was 11. A lot less.
    There's your answer.

Official carts have the Nintendo wording on the inside of the cart on the board. Hold the cart up to the light and look inside above the gold edges.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• sanctusmortis 4 Nov 2007 22:34:29 9,627 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, fake. Thanks for another confirmation. Now I have a lot to lean on this guy with...
  • sanctusmortis 5 Nov 2007 10:40:07 9,627 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheeky git sent me an email this morning requesting feedback. I sent him a message... basically, "you sold me a fake. Nintendo are currently doing a major crackdown on piracy. What do you want to do next?" with evidence that proves it to be fake.

Ball's in his court now. As it's my alt-ebay account, I don't really care if he negs me.
  • Killerbee 5 Nov 2007 10:49:59 5,016 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Same here - I bought a copy of GBA Zelda: Link to the Past off e-bay because I simply could not find a copy for sale anywhere else (new or used).

It was presented as a US copy of the game and the box and sticker on the cart look okay, but the manual was a poor colour photocopy (with pages missing) and the cart itself hasn't got all the usual moulded writing on the inside of the cart.

At first I was pissed off, but having tried the game, it does work fine and (touch wood) I've not had any problems with save games being lost and I'm more than 3/4 of the way through the game after about 6 months of on and off playing.

I just couldn't be arsed complaining and pursuing for a refund, so I left the appropriate feedback and just resolved not to buy a GBA game off ebay again.
  • sanctusmortis 5 Nov 2007 18:00:40 9,627 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For a year-old GBA game? I can get genuine classic games for less than that that are rare! And FF III DS was 13 and not fake, in box, brand new...

They were also the only copies on there.
  • Lagto_Soa 8 Nov 2007 10:39:56 30 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It does bear repeating: buying GBA games on eBay is a terrible idea unless a) you absolutely cannot find them anywhere else and b) you're sure of the signs of a dodgy copy, which 90% of them are. Don't buy anything with a stock photo or US boxart, for a start. Actually I'd say don't buy anything that doesn't show the entire contents of the box :)

Like most people, I found out all this the hard way but it's true about the scammers usually being happy to fork out a refund when confronted... amazing how much good feedback they get from buyers happy with their 4-page manuals and 'Nontando' carts though.
  • Hog-lumps 8 Nov 2007 11:07:51 946 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dixons wrote:
    Never buy 'official' iPod earphones where the seller is located in Hong Kong. Three words; cheap, fake, plastic.

Err, that sounds like the real ones to me! :p
  • sanctusmortis 8 Nov 2007 16:55:18 9,627 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He never replied to my message... but Nintendo have ^_^ They've passed the matter to their "auction piracy" department.

I've put a refund claim in on Paypal too.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous