Xbox 360 Hard Drive problem and FIX.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Nov 2007 08:16:51 13,814 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hi chaps
    Just thought I would let you have some information. My disc drive started making a very loud grinding sound yesterday evening and wouldn't read any discs. I tried several including Halo 3 and Simpsons (both brand new, enjoying Simpsons but the jumping is a bit hit and miss, could be a problem) and ......nothing
    I phoned Xbox support and spoke to a helpful woman, who told me to take the HD off and try to run the games, would you believe it worked perfectly?
    She then told me to re-attached the drive and she told me to go to the memory blade, once there press Y and then press X,X,LEFT BUMPER,RIGHT BUMPER,X,X.
    I'm not to sure what it did but it had the result of fixing the problem.
    I know it's good to share so thought I would tell you guys.
    OH YEAH!

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• crashVoodoo 3 Nov 2007 08:56:55 3,821 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    clears the cache on the hd. solution has been around ever since elder scrolls : oblivion ran like ass

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• DUFFMAN5 3 Nov 2007 09:17:07 13,814 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    clears the cache on the hd. solution has been around ever since elder scrolls : oblivion ran like ass

Hi
    So how does that help ?

• morriss 3 Nov 2007 09:20:28 70,749 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It helps about as much as your original post.
  • morriss 3 Nov 2007 09:44:25 70,749 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was joking DUFF.

All crash is saying is that the fix you are reporting is as old as the hills. i.e. when Oblivion came out Spring 2006 this was a fix used for that when the 360 had problems reading off the HDD.

It's called clearing the cache.
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Nov 2007 09:45:40 13,814 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    I was joking DUFF.

All crash is saying is that the fix you are reporting is as old as the hills. i.e. when Oblivion came out Spring 2006 this was a fix used for that when the 360 had problems reading off the HDD.

It's called clearing the cache.

Great stuff.

• crashVoodoo 3 Nov 2007 10:14:29 3,821 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    crashVoodoo wrote:

Hi
    So how does that help ?
    didn't read my own post, it actually comes across a bit blunt. wasn't being an ass, sorry :)

anyhoo, morris has explained it all now, thank you morris \o/

• estoo 3 Nov 2007 10:19:48 2,702 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That sounds like how my first 360 died.. I'm probably being a dumbass, but how does clearing the cache on the HD solve the loud grinding on the DVD drive?
    Think it might help with all the dirty disc errors I'm getting now?
    Is there any downside to doing this, like do you lose anything?
  • Der_tolle_Emil 3 Nov 2007 10:28:08 7,294 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The grinding noise you hear is when the drive seeks data on the disc. The game expects data to be cached on the HDD and adjusts how and what it loads accordingly. When the cache goes bad, ie. the data is unuseable in the cache (not really a hardware fault) you have to load data from the disc although the game didn't expect to. That can severly slow down games (like not having a loading screen and streaming everything from the disc) and because the drive seeks a lot of random data you hear the drive make the typical noises.

There's no downside in clearing the cache. Cache is just temporary data stored on the HD to fasten up loading times. If you delete it you might notice that games will take longer to load the next time you play them because they load everything from the disc. After then it will be fine again. You don't lose any savegames or any other important things.

The first sign of a cache gone bad is if you can see that the game is loading textures - objects not having any textures or really blurry textures that improve in a couple of seconds are typical signs of data being loaded from the disc that should have already been there. (Same games do this on purpose though but it's usually not very obvious).
  • estoo 3 Nov 2007 10:31:53 2,702 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers man, that makes it a lot clearer for me!
  • crashVoodoo 3 Nov 2007 10:34:39 3,821 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    thanks der_tol_emil, thats the part i couldn't answer, answered.

the other part about losing stuff is as follows.

The most important part of clearing the cache is knowing what to expect. The cache clearing method has been proven to clear all software updates, so that individual game updates and purchased game add ons must be re-downloaded after the process is complete

• DUFFMAN5 3 Nov 2007 10:42:24 13,814 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thank you people, dare i say friends for tidying that up.
    Can go back to Halo 3 and Simpsons now.

• armyjay07 29 Apr 2013 03:14:15 1 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @DUFFMAN5
    I have about 4 xbox systems taken apart and figured I would try some online advice. I tried your bumper code to clear the temp memory (even though I never save games to HD) figured I would try what you suggested. Last time I ever try something that "works like a charm". The xx code corrupted my gamer profile and my game achievements. All my hard gamer work has been flushed down the drain because your advice. To you, I say thanks so much. Delete that damn post
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 29 Apr 2013 07:05:11 36,285 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    All that code does is clear the local Xbox cache. It won't have "corrupted" a damn thing, you've clearly got bigger problems with your Xbox. Contact Xbox support.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Ironlungs76 29 Apr 2013 07:14:00 4,930 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Duffman strikes again!

He's a cruel, black-hearted brigand that delights in destroying people's expectations.

You can blame him all you like, he will sit there and laugh in your face while being fed skinned grapes by Charlize Theron.

More fool you for falling into his cunning ruse!
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next