"40 minute competency based telephone interview"

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Lexx87 30 Oct 2007 14:45:12 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As part of my uni course I get a year out in industry in a company related to my studies. After applying to Fujitsu i'm now at the stage of *see thread title*.

My problem is i've no idea what the fuck a "comeptency based" interview even is. Especially over the telephone. Anyone had any experience of these and could tell me exactly what kind of thing to expect?

Being the EG forum I of course don't expect any real answers...but I might have one pop in somewhere.

Alex

Speak the truth hussy!

• malteaserhead 30 Oct 2007 14:47:23 13,444 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    probably (well maybe not) just converstions like
    how did you approach (typical problem no.1)?
    how would you deal with (typical problem no. 3)?
  • jellyhead 30 Oct 2007 14:48:46 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    These?
    I googled "competency based telephone interview" and it was the first link. It seems like a bit of marketing but may give you some ideas.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Alastair 30 Oct 2007 14:51:35 15,703 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Are you competent enough to use the telephone...
    :o)
    Do I win a prize for first stupid answer?

Not as nice as I used to be

• THFourteen 30 Oct 2007 14:52:51 33,393 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yeah competency in recruitement terms generally means being able to give examples of how you solved a situation like x/y/z in your life.

usually things like

dealt with a difficult person
    worked to a tight deadline
    worked as part of a team

etc
  • Load_2.0 30 Oct 2007 14:54:27 19,251 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The questions will ask you for examples of when you have displayed a particular skill.

I.e. Please tell us about a time when you worked as part of a team.

Just make sure all your answers highlight how you worked in the team. Bad examples are vague focus on others. For example.

"I was part of a team that delivered x results on time and under budget we did this because we worked well as a team."

They will want details of the situation. How you worked to support overs/work with others, maybe how you worked together to achieve the outcome. Why did it work etc. Focus on you and the contributions you made.

There are a number of crappy acronyms like STAR Situation, Target/Task, Action, Result that are helpful to remember when addressing these questions.

Sorry that is an awful post. Give me ten minutes to get some work done a and I will rewrite this.
  • Latin 30 Oct 2007 14:55:33 3,661 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They ask you questions about what skills you have and ask to give examples e.g. leadership, organisation, teamwork etc. etc.

Some people use the STAR technique to answer questions

Situation : i.e. what was the situation of the example you're giving

Task: What you had to do in this situation (role)

Action: How you did it

Result: The results of your actions

You can find many examples on the web just google it a bit, I would give you examples but it seems as though you're doing something completely different to me

edit: beaten by Load
  • malteaserhead 30 Oct 2007 15:03:03 13,444 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Load "$" wrote:
    There are a number of crappy acronyms like STAR Situation, Target/Task, Action, Result that are helpful to remember when addressing these questions.

Indeed. But they are useful to mention sometimes. Silly people seem impressed by them and they can help you remember things.

I liked CLOUT for team questions.
    communication
    leadership
    organisation
    understanding (of each other's roles and capabilities)
    team achievement

but yes, they are godawful things! ;)
  • nickthegun 30 Oct 2007 15:07:38 59,857 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It may also relate to your chosen profession.

For example, a few years ago I had a telephone competancy interview that had some of the following questions:

Name and explain the most common types of RAID setup

What does mount do? (fnar fnar)

Whats the difference between crossover and stright through and why would we use them?

So if its a technical profession you are looking at going into, you migh get asked some technical questions.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Lexx87 30 Oct 2007 16:40:23 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow, impressed with the decent responces. Cheers guys!

It should be ok...i've got the technical stuff down so that bit shouldn't be too painful.

Speak the truth hussy!

• bloke 30 Oct 2007 17:27:18 1,489 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And make sure you're in front of your computer with Google fired up, for those difficult moments :-)
  • Deleted user 30 October 2007 17:28:08
    bloke wrote:
    And make sure you're in front of your computer with Google fired up, for those difficult moments :-)
    Just remember to type quietly!
  • Madder-Max 30 Oct 2007 17:29:16 11,649 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Wow, impressed with the decent responces. Cheers guys!

It should be ok...i've got the technical stuff down so that bit shouldn't be too painful.

Check your spelling though.....um........in case they ask you to ....er.....spell responses....um

/is unlikely

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Red-Moose 30 Oct 2007 18:14:57 5,346 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    As part of my uni course I get a year out in industry in a company related to my studies. After applying to Fujitsu i'm now at the stage of *see thread title*.

My problem is i've no idea what the fuck a "comeptency based" interview even is. Especially over the telephone. Anyone had any experience of these and could tell me exactly what kind of thing to expect?

Being the EG forum I of course don't expect any real answers...but I might have one pop in somewhere.

Alex

It means they have a list of specific competencies and a grading system for each segment of the interview and how you perform.

Competency based interviews are common in any field these days as it means theoretically fairer and more accountable decisions between candidates.

E.g., Cand. 1 has a Masters in a related field, Cand. 2 doesn't . ON that competency, Cand 1 will get a higher point score.

What's important is to find out what competencies they rate: academic degrees, communication skills, team working, etc., . Everyone gets added up and then the highest point scorer gets the call, and if you complain they can show you how you scored. There can/usually be a few reserved points for performance on the interview itself.
  • Lexx87 2 Nov 2007 09:09:53 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They are calling in 20 mins. I'm kinda nervous but I guess it's good practise. I want this placement though so it's shit scary really.

Oh well.

Wish me luck!

Alex

Speak the truth hussy!

• malteaserhead 2 Nov 2007 09:14:11 13,444 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    good luck ^_^
  • Lexx87 2 Nov 2007 09:15:11 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    malteaserhead wrote:
    good luck ^_^

Best. Username. Ever.

Speak the truth hussy!

• DaM 2 Nov 2007 09:17:57 13,138 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    They are calling in 20 mins. I'm kinda nervous but I guess it's good practise. I want this placement though so it's shit scary really.

Oh well.

Wish me luck!

Alex

Good luck!

My wife failed a electonic robot interview with BnQ to work on the tills over Xmas - she pressed 4 instead of 5 when asked about teamwork for some reason. She was a bit miffed, first job app after finishing her PhD!
  • Lexx87 2 Nov 2007 09:20:30 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hahahah I wish this was a robot.

I've got a real guy from the "Graduate team" calling me.

/shits pants

Speak the truth hussy!

• Deleted user 2 November 2007 09:20:36
    WHISKY TO THE THREAD STAT

Good luck :)
  • Load_2.0 2 Nov 2007 09:32:08 19,251 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Hahahah I wish this was a robot.

I've got a real guy from the "Graduate team" calling me.

/shits pants

You will be fine remember to tailor you examples to give as much relevant detail as possible i.e. Not just what you did but how you did it. And try to use "I" more then "We" in your examples (Even team ones). As they want to here about what you did not what jo bloggs did.

Maybe have a pad ready to scribble down some very brief notes as you go.

Your enthusiasm is a good thing.
  • reality_cheque 2 Nov 2007 09:51:27 7,487 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The missus was helping out with the Royal Mail grad scheme days this year, and basically what she said was they're looking for competent people who can get on well with people so once you get past this telephone interview stage it's mostly down to personality.
  • Deleted user 2 November 2007 09:52:23
    I wonder if he's reading this while he's on the phone?

TITS!
  • Lexx87 2 Nov 2007 10:32:56 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haha sadly not. I've done it and it was horrible :p

I had to make up examples of where I did stuff as I couldn't use the same one. Worst. Thing. Ever. My girlfriend (who was listening outside the door the cow) said she was convinced i'd done those things though. Maybe I fudged through!

I find out in 24 hours.

Speak the truth hussy!

• reality_cheque 2 Nov 2007 10:40:57 7,487 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    WarKitty did about 6 of these, and she failed the ones she thought she'd passed and the one that went the worst was the one she ended up getting :)

But worst case scenario you've had a bit of practice for your next one.
  • pistol 2 Nov 2007 15:09:49 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd also like to add that if you're talking about Fujitsu Services, the Outsourcing/Consultancy firm, they are hiring people like mad at the moment. A mate has just gone to work for them as an Infrastructure Project Manager.
  • jellyhead 2 Nov 2007 15:18:30 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got my fingers crossed for you, Lexx.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• LeoliansBro 2 Nov 2007 15:27:40 44,160 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Go Lexx!

Interviews are vicious. Don't forget they're on the search for someone appropriate though, so if you failed and the process worked it wasn't the job for you. Or there was someone better.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Lexx87 2 Nov 2007 20:00:00 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Probably be someone better :p

Still waiting, probably won't find out till the morning. I do think I fooked it up though I didn't know enough about what they do. Oh well, i've got many more places to apply too so it should work out alright.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Mattalica 5 Nov 2007 11:22:39 1 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I googled 'Competency Based Interview' and i was directed to this thread.

I've just had my interview; and Lexx87, it seems like we had the same experience with it! I was really caught out by some of the earlier questions about the company, as I thought my answers would have been adequate, but I was continually prompted to elaborate. Luckily I didn't have to make up any responses, but there were some lengthy delays in my answering when I struggled to think of examples.

I believe that everyone (who is human) will panic on these tests, and I'm almost certain that everyone will put the phone down thinking that they have failed!

If I could give any advice to anyone taking this style of interview it would be to firstly make sure that you are well aware of the company that you are applying for, do some good research. Secondly I would advice to make a list of as many key situations that you have been involved with as you can. By this I mean that you should try and pre-empt some of the questions that are going to be asked, but only jot down the situation and not the response. Basically this will allow you to 'blag' some of the questions with good solid examples minimising time taken to think about situations you have been involved in. Thirdly I would advise you to remain calm. (However if this involves 'Dutch Courage' then I would certainly remain on edge :p)

Anyway, Lexx87, let us know how you got on! Good luck to anyone else who googles this thread.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous