Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2755

• Page

of 2844 First / Last

• CosmicFuzz 4 Sep 2014 15:30:25 25,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dr_swin wrote:
    Under the Skin.

Watched this shortly after reading the book. As a stand alone arty, independent film I think it is very good and worth a watch.

It clearly works as an adaptation of the book in its own way. It is very minimalistic though and I couldn't help feeling a little short changed by its stripped back nature.

The book had some very interesting ideas and made me think about my place on Earth as a carnivore and the morality of eating creatures. This was not addressed at all in the film.

I do wonder whether I would have enjoyed an adaptation that stuck more closely to the plot and relationships of the book somewhat more.

6/10
    Yeah, it's very, very different to the book isn't it? I love both, but for totally different reasons! Would love to see a film that followed the plot more closely, not that it's ever going to happen.

How patches are ruining the future of gaming My thoughts.

• anephric 4 Sep 2014 16:12:53 317 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rhaegyr The Pawnbroker. And the Anderson Tapes, which is wicked. Ooh, and The offence and The Hill, while we're on a Connery tip.
  • Rhaegyr 4 Sep 2014 16:16:26 2,670 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @anephric

Thanks - I'll check these out. Same goes for The Verdict.
  • gang_of_bitches 5 Sep 2014 18:07:48 5,644 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lucy 30%- Utter shit. Luc Besson really needs to stop making films and I really need to stop watching them.

This is a pity as I like a lot of his earlier films from Subway up to around Taxi 2, which was stupid, but at least vaguely fun.

Lucy on the other hand is an indulgent piece of shit that feels like it was written by a couple of stoners postulating about how interconnected we all are.

It also feels horribly short on budget with effects and stunts all being very amateurish. This in spite of horribly unsubtle Samsung product placement everywhere.

Scarlett Johansson' s performance was so poor I'm actually starting to wonder if she was ever a decent actress or whether I was just taken in by her beauty. Morgan Freeman does a decent job of playing the kind of character you'd cast Morgan Freeman for while the head of the Taiwanese drug man is fantastic in his role as Gary Oldman from Leon.

I'm actually angry about how bad this film was, 30% is perhaps too generous, but still way lower than my previous low for a review here.

Deliberately didn't read other reviews before posting mine, am quite relieved, I thought maybe I was missing something.

Edited by gang_of_bitches at 18:24:42 05-09-2014
  • PES_Fanboy 5 Sep 2014 18:12:16 18,501 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The thing I have issue with, with all of Besson's films, is how he directs (I assume) the European, non native English speakers to deliver dialogue in the exact same, stilted, terrible way.
  • bad09 5 Sep 2014 23:39:06 6,206 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Birdcage

Saw a lot of Williams on Netflix (of course) and thought I'll watch a couple (watched his stand up to last week *sniff* ). Great film so funny with such great performances and just laugh out loud funny. I think Albert is my cousin though....

Gene Hackman in drag\100

The Fisher King Next \o/
  • BinaryBob101 6 Sep 2014 00:18:53 24,112 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I want to watch a film. I don't know which film to watch.

What film should I watch EG?

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Mr_Sleep 6 Sep 2014 00:28:43 17,294 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @BinaryBob101 My Neighbour Totoro.

You are a factory of sadness.

• HarryPalmer 6 Sep 2014 00:29:01 3,549 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    I want to watch a film. I don't know which film to watch.

What film should I watch EG?
    If you like serious sci-fi, Europa Report on Netflix is worth watching. I'd never heard of it so it was a nice surprise.

The Lincoln Lawyer - 5/10

Entertaining for thirty minutes. But a bit shit really.
  • BinaryBob101 6 Sep 2014 00:50:09 24,112 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep Well, that's just bloody weird. I've had Spirited Away on for ten minutes. Get out of my head!

Europa Report is alright, bad final third though.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Gemeo 6 Sep 2014 02:08:55 255 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hancock

8/10
  • JoeBlade 6 Sep 2014 06:57:24 2,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    @BinaryBob101 My Neighbour Totoro.
    /slaps Mr_Sleep

The answer is always Enemy Mine. Always!
  • mattk84 6 Sep 2014 09:37:34 561 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Man of Steel 7/10. Much better than I expected.

Rush 6/10. Not as good as I expected.

PSN ID IMrAndersonI

• Megapocalypse 6 Sep 2014 09:43:30 5,500 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Sweeny - 0/10

I'm pretty sure this is one of the worst films I've ever seen. Its all just terrible; the plot, script, acting. There is nothing good about this this film in any way. Ultimately its actually offensive to the people who do work on the Flying Squad.
  • TheBlackDog 6 Sep 2014 09:50:20 419 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mother (the Korean one) - 8.5/10, brilliant storytelling, lead actress is amazing, and nice to have an ending that is consistent in quality with the rest of the film.

Night of the Creeps - 9/10. Never heard of this but I was (uncharacteristically) grinning throughout. A really well done, tongue in cheek, 80's comedy horror (cross between Sliver and any zomcom).
  • mattk84 6 Sep 2014 10:50:06 561 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Megapocalypse wrote:
    The Sweeny - 0/10

I'm pretty sure this is one of the worst films I've ever seen. Its all just terrible; the plot, script, acting. There is nothing good about this this film in any way. Ultimately its actually offensive to the people who do work on the Flying Squad.
    I was really looking forward to this but as usual they had to mess up the format. Shifting it to modern day and over-stylising it killed it. Why do film makers always feel the need to do this?

PSN ID IMrAndersonI

• wuntyphyve 6 Sep 2014 13:48:15 1,513 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Pandorum
    Third time I've tried to watch this. It shouldn't be dull and forgettable but it is. Only kept watching because I fancy that German chick who was also in man of steel. Still never made it to the end though.

Boring/100
  • muttler 6 Sep 2014 13:58:07 4,235 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

7/10
  • Gremmoo 6 Sep 2014 14:18:55 1,045 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    They Came Together. 2/10. It's basically a five minute SNL skit on romantic comedies stretched out to an unwelcome hour and twenty. Only memorable for some nonsequitur cameos at the end.
  • MrFlay 6 Sep 2014 14:34:08 1,019 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wunty_Phyve wrote:
    Pandorum
    Third time I've tried to watch this. It shouldn't be dull and forgettable but it is. Only kept watching because I fancy that German chick who was also in man of steel. Still never made it to the end though.

Boring/100
    It is very average. It's highly reminiscent of Event Horizon and Dead Space but isn't nearly as good as either of those. I do like both Dennis Quaid and Ben Foster but they can't do much with such a derivative script. The effects aren't bad. I usually watch every sci-fi film with any sort of budget as there are so few.
  • Load_2.0 6 Sep 2014 17:17:15 19,521 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheBlackDog wrote:
    Mother (the Korean one) - 8.5/10, brilliant storytelling, lead actress is amazing, and nice to have an ending that is consistent in quality with the rest of the film.

Night of the Creeps - 9/10. Never heard of this but I was (uncharacteristically) grinning throughout. A really well done, tongue in cheek, 80's comedy horror (cross between Sliver and any zomcom).
    Night of the Creeps is awesome! Love that film.
  • Darth_Flibble 6 Sep 2014 17:52:17 1,769 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Expendables 3

Its really piss poor and worse than the bland 2nd film. They have destroyed what made the first film good. Most film goers have got bored of the pg-13/12a violence and the first film was more like 80's and 90's action film. To make it worse, you have bland new younger cast members that are so dull. I've heard people use the excuse "remove your brain, its popcorn film FFS!" No, its not even a "popcorn film" its a very bland action film for people who talk at the cinema, play with their phones and stuff food in the mouth. Also a lot more cgi (which they got rid of in the first film iirc)

2/10
  • jablonski 6 Sep 2014 17:55:17 4,543 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It really is shockingly bad.

You just know everyone in the room was never filmed on the same day, just whenever they were available to spend half a day in a studio filming their part of the scenes.
  • -cerberus- 6 Sep 2014 18:01:55 3,378 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Wunty_Phyve All of Christian Alvart's films are dull shite. Except for Antikörper, that one's ok.

People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

• TechnoHippy 6 Sep 2014 19:21:09 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    American Mary

I enjoyed this a lot. It's an interesting horror about a student surgeon who becomes involved in the body modification scene. Naturally there's more to it than that - the girl knows how to hold a grudge and extract some payback. It's well played and filmed the only weak point for me was the ending. It seemed to step a beat before the final scene, but apart from that it's a tremendous watch.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Dougs 6 Sep 2014 21:15:49 69,114 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We're the Millers. 5/10. Very average, made me laugh a bit 3 or 4 times and had a pretty good Aniston scene.  Forgettable otherwise.
  • CosmicFuzz 6 Sep 2014 21:21:39 25,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Having skimmed this thread whilst deciding what to watch tonight with dinner, I've decided on Serpico. Been meaning to watch it for a while now.

Also got Network and 3 Days of the Condor on my list of 'films I've been meaning to watch for years'.

How patches are ruining the future of gaming My thoughts.

• askew 6 Sep 2014 22:00:24 12,587 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Captain America: The Winter Solider - 6/10

This was pretty dull. Perfunctory is the word: technically very well made; performances were fine; but no real threat or excitement to be found.

Maybe I wasn't in the right mood.

FWIW, I enjoyed the first.
  • Immaterial 6 Sep 2014 23:41:07 1,464 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How I live Now- 8-ish/10
    -'Murican cousin (Saoirse Ronan- brilliant) comes to the UK to stay with her aunt and cousins, just in time for a major 'terrorist action'.

I've marked it up because it reminded me of "threads" (bloody grim nuclear holocaust TV drama from the 80's), but with some coming of age stuff in there. Some of the supporting caste are a bit ropey, and the symbolism is quite heavy-handed, but the grim part(s) of the film lift it out of standard teen tv drama, and Saoirse Ronan is very convincing in it. There's a little bit of telepathic shenanigans that aren't really explained, so -2 points for that.

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• StarchildHypocrethes 7 Sep 2014 00:27:49 26,364 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Amazing Spiderman 2

I thought this was supposed to be a bit crap? Was pleasantly surprised to discover that I really quite enjoyed it. Think that guy whoever he is makes a pretty good Spiderman. Have a 7.5/10
  • Page

of 2844 First / Last