That is indeed you.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 09:54:25 26-08-2014

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• smoothpete 26 Aug 2014 10:00:26 31,505 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Defecationqueen wrote:
    Sin City 2
    Not a bad film, it still oozes that trademark sexy film-noir style. There's only two main storylines this time round, with a minor third plotline. Out of them all, I preferred Joseph Gordon-Levitt's storyline.

Unfortunately, it's just not as good as the first film. The script wasn't as captivating, and the storylines were quite forgettable.

Still, it wasn't bad - just not a patch on the original.

6.5/10
    I'm looking forward to seeing it, having been a huge fan of the comics when they came out. Only the "Dame to Kill For" story is from the comics, I believe the others were written specifically for the film (which is kinda odd as there were others from the comics which would have done just fine, there was no need to write new stories)
  • PES_Fanboy 26 Aug 2014 10:02:17 15,819 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Only hipster twats like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

/loved The Birdcage
  • Cappy 26 Aug 2014 11:17:42 11,930 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zombie Ass: The Toilet of the Dead (2011)

Er... The title promises zombies, ass and a toilet and that's exactly what you get. There's no faulting the film on that count.

Monsters emerging from a cesspit to fling poop at fleeing victims is perhaps a subtle hint that we're not supposed to take it too seriously. The way things are going I could see the entirety of the plot ending up in Resident Evil 7.

Zombie/Ass
  • PearOfAnguish 26 Aug 2014 11:36:46 7,274 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Godzilla 4/10

Didn't expect a mindblowing story but it was riddled with plot holes and there was way too much focus on the boring people who kept getting in the way of danger and not enough big monster smashy smash. Some real lazy writing too. Counted at least three times where they used the old "show character in perilous situation then fade out and they're somehow okay later". And what they did to Ken Watabe was hilarious or offensive depending on your perspective. Every time he was on screen it was just to spout some trite ancient saying while fitting music played in the background. Apparently he was a PhD but it must have been mail order.
  • khaz 26 Aug 2014 12:41:05 2,785 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    Only hipster twats like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

/loved The Birdcage
    The Birdcage is superb. But the French original - La Cage Aux Folles - is just that much better for me. Both fantastic films though.
  • kalel 26 Aug 2014 12:42:43 87,584 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just assumed everyone was talking about La Cage aux Folles. The remake isn't really very good.
  • khaz 26 Aug 2014 12:49:37 2,785 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm biased due to being a big fan of Nathan Lane, Robin Williams and especially Gene Hackman. But I do prefer the original.
  • -cerberus- 27 Aug 2014 18:14:59 2,825 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Parasomnia

Was this supposed to look like a cheap Goosebumps episode?

2/10

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• Great_Googly_Moogly 27 Aug 2014 18:21:01 781 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Grand budapest Hotel.

Good. Need to watch it again, i liked it alot ,but got phoned up 40 minutes in for a 30 minute convo, so the second half lost its flow a bit.

Ralph fiennes is great in this however.

PSN: Cloudsheaven
    NNID: Notnits_85
    www.joelstinton.wordpress.com

• kalel 27 Aug 2014 18:26:48 87,584 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really liked Grand Budapest. It was basically the first Anderson film I've properly liked since Royal Tenembaums (apart from perhaps Fantastic Mr Fox).
  • MrFlay 27 Aug 2014 18:35:06 712 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Frank Miller is pretty much a dreadful human being and I can see that having an effect on any movie he's involved with especially if it's sexist, racist or misogynist. I'm not saying Sin City 2 is sexist, racist or misogynist but Frank Miller is a liability and also not much of director if the Spirit is anything to go by.

Robert Rodriguez is a self-parodying joke also so that doesn't help either.

Edited by MrFlay at 18:35:33 27-08-2014
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Aug 2014 18:43:18 14,660 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Her
    Part 1 of my SJ trilogy (Lucy tomorrow, Skin Fri) I liked it, however overly long by a good 30 mins.
    I thought Whacking Phoenix looked a lot like Groucho" Marx though, I kept expecting him to say "I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception" etc

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• khaz 27 Aug 2014 18:54:31 2,785 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I really liked Grand Budapest. It was basically the first Anderson film I've properly liked since Royal Tenembaums (apart from perhaps Fantastic Mr Fox).
    This is the first time I agree 1000% with everything you just said. Loved Grand Budapest and Ralph Feinnes is amazing as usual. Everything in the film just felt right. I cant describe it any other way.

Edited by khaz at 18:56:22 27-08-2014
  • nickthegun 27 Aug 2014 19:02:52 59,875 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrFlay wrote:
    Frank Miller is pretty much a dreadful human being and I can see that having an effect on any movie he's involved with
    I hope this is the reason SC2 has flopped although, admittedly, society at large growing a conscience is a bit less likely a reason than 'it looks a bit wank'.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Deckard1 27 Aug 2014 19:42:06 27,981 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Her
    Part 1 of my SJ trilogy (Lucy tomorrow, Skin Fri) I liked it, however overly long by a good 30 mins.
    I thought Whacking Phoenix looked a lot like Groucho" Marx though, I kept expecting him to say "I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception" etc
  • jablonski 27 Aug 2014 20:01:48 4,121 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Universal Soldier: regeneration.

Not bad. 2 very good action sequences.
    Keeps the attention, despite being clearly low budget and held back because of it.

Directed by the son of Peter Hyams, and photographed by Peter Hyams himself (director of Timecop, Sudden Death, 2010, Capricorn One), so it looks better than it has any right to be.
  • Megapocalypse 27 Aug 2014 20:35:29 5,417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    House of the Devil - 3/10

Terrible film trying to emulate the styles of older classic horrors. It does succeed in creating a suitably creepy atmosphere quite quickly, but then does absolutely nothing with it for about an hour, before launching into a ludicrous conclusion.
  • Ka-blamo 27 Aug 2014 20:37:41 7,349 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Inbetweeners 2 80/100

I liked it :) some bits made me laugh

Jay: "What you been up to Neil, you been getting your dick wet?"

Neil: "I went swimming"

and when Neil is driving them across Oz and almost falling asleep

Neil: "A wob-a-bob-bob"

Simon: "umm what?"

Neil: "I said what time is it?"

jay: "No you didn't you said a wob-a-bob-bob!"
  • tonyferrino 27 Aug 2014 20:45:18 182 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think I've used "A-wob-a-bob-bob" about 3 times since seeing the film. Must stop, it's a bit sad.
  • jablonski 27 Aug 2014 20:46:24 4,121 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Apparently the naughty pirate doing the rounds is heavily cut
  • Great_Googly_Moogly 27 Aug 2014 20:47:37 781 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    kalel wrote:
    I was really enjoying it up to teh phone call i received. It zips along and sort takes you for a train ride, and that 30 minute call kind of took me out of it. I enjoyed the rest but i needed to watch it through in one.

Edited by Great_Googly_Moogly at 22:08:14 27-08-2014

PSN: Cloudsheaven
    NNID: Notnits_85
    www.joelstinton.wordpress.com

• beastmaster 27 Aug 2014 21:21:14 11,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lucy - 7/10

Second viewing and I enjoyed it a lot more. I know a lot of people who want to see this and I've mentioned to them that it may not be the film that they're expecting. Still going anyway as "I may like it".

The after film conversation in the toilets (for those who are interested) was along the lines of "That's one of the shittest films I've ever seen!".

Both times I went to see this (including one IMAX viewing) were packed. Scarlett Johansson and Luc Besson team up is drawing in the punters worldwide by the looks of it. They may not like what they see though.

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - 8/10

I thoroughly enjoyed this. It's not as good as the first one but I didn't think it was really that far off. The plot lets it down somewhat as do the lack of any good new characters. It's also slightly confusing in places but it makes more sense as it goes along.

I was wondering why they recast Clive Owen as Dwight with Josh Brolin. The events in his part of the story are set before the original film and it has to be different actor. It's kind of obvious but I didn't particularly like Broliin as Dwight . Yes, he plays it tough and all that but for me, he just didn't click in the role. There's another section with Joseph Gordon-Levitt which I didn't find that engaging.

Let's get to the "good stuff" then. The film just oozes style. There's a tiny bit more colour in this one but it's the same art direction and sleazy music. The violence is still in there and it's as stylistically gory as ever. What they've done now through is considerably ramp up the sex and nudity. Yep, it's Eva Green time! Clothes seem to be somewhat of an inconvenience for the poor lady as she seems to shed them and naked for pretty much most of of her screen time. Not that I'm complaining mind you.

However, I thought Jessica Alba was much sexier as Nancy. No, she doesn't get her kit off but she's terrific as she goes off the rails crazy. She's learned a few new moves too and gives it all for her art. Bless her!

As with the first one though, I thought Marv just tearing through anyone who gets in his way is great fun. Powers Booth is suitably slimy again as Senator Roark.

The film was in 3D and I thought it was pretty damn good. There's a few gimmicky moments that don't involve Eva Green's breasts but overall I didn't find it in my face.

The cinema was empty though and this on on a bank holiday evening.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• oldschoolsoviet 27 Aug 2014 22:23:33 5,478 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A relaxing day:

Dirty Harry - 8/10
    Still great.
    Magnum Force - 8/10
    Yep, still great.
    The Enforcer - 7/10
    Okay, a little bit silly....
    Sudden Impact - 7/10
    ......comedy chase involving a retirement home bus ?!
    The Dead Pool - 6/10
    Sweet Jesus. Liam Neeson and Jim Carrey hamming it up, and possibly the most ridiculous/genius 'car' chase ever. Bonus points for Chinese kung-fu sidekick.

In summary, yeah, the Dirty Harry films certainly suffer through the years.

Child of God - 6/10

James Franco pet project (?) based on Cormac McCarthy's novel. Follows a somewhat mental loner living as he can in the 60's Southern backwoods, and judging by Wiki skimming over the majority of the unsavoury parts. Still a fairly difficult watch due to pacing and a meandering story.

The Rover - 9/10

Brillant. 10 years after 'The Collapse' Guy Pearce goes all Rutger "Hitcher" Hauer, pursuing three armed men who've helped themselves to his car, through a dry, dusty, apocalyptic Australian outback. Little nods and hints to the background, distorted soundtrack and brilliantly played.
  • Blakester 28 Aug 2014 11:01:57 3,612 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been needing to get this off my chest for a while.

Earth to Echo

With the missus on a spa day, I had to entertain the kids and they both decided they wanted to see this having been bombarded by ads for it on the Disney channel.

From the trailer, this looked a little like an 80's throw-back, taking inspiration from some of Spielberg's classics. Let's just say I went in with a fairly open mind, but we all should have been very, very afraid!

A few notes to the makers of this 'film':

1/ When you target a young audience, you should recognise that their attention span isn't the longest. Having a plot, interesting characters and any drama whatsoever generally helps keeps them engaged.

2/ Kids really aren't that tolerant of shaky hand-cam footage. A few minutes they may well accept, but 91 minutes is asking for trouble. I don't expect to have to take my 6-year old to the toilet after 20 minutes because he feels sick (pretty sure it wasn't the popcorn)

3/ Maybe get some kids that have a little charisma and are likeable. The character "Tuck" is one of the worst African American stereotypes I think I've ever seen on screen and I've seen Gene Wilder in Silver Streak.

4/ There is fine line between homage and rip-off, but I'm pretty sure that line is miles in the distance. If I hadn't paid £28 for the pleasure, I could easily have accepted that this was a film student project where they tried to remake ET for as little money as possible.

Absolutely dire, I'd give it 1/10 but I can't actually think of a single positive point. So 0/10 then.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Steve_Perry 28 Aug 2014 11:05:31 4,149 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Her
    :)

VIVA STEFANSEN

• DUFFMAN5 28 Aug 2014 11:30:12 14,660 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Deckard1
    I had seen that before, it is very funny :)

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• jablonski 28 Aug 2014 13:16:46 4,121 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Rover

Not bad. Viciously negative film, same kind of tone as 'The Road'.

Instantly gets 10/10 for shooting a midget in it.
    I fucking hate midgets in films - they seem to be in every other film I watch. So I actually cheered out loud when this one was unfairly gunned down.
  • challenge_hanukkah 28 Aug 2014 13:18:30 93 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Classic Jab "Nanosophobia" lonski.

Positively seething

• Mola_Ram 28 Aug 2014 13:18:37 7,384 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I found The Rover almost as depressing as Snowtown. Almost.
  • Page

of 2767 First / Last