Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2722

• Page

of 2766 First / Last

• jablonski 6 Aug 2014 22:07:35 4,101 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Started to watch the latest Star Trek film, Into Darkness, a while ago and I don't know if my televisions speakers are up to it, but the voices are so very quiet on the normal optimal movie volume yet during the action scenes, it becomes unbearably loud.

... all I was doing was holding the remote control and adjusting the volume accordingly every time someone speaks and turning it all the way back down again when the action scenes take place.

Turned it off in the end once John Harrison started firing at the Starfleet HQ during their emergency meeting; volume up, volume down, volume up, volume down and so on and on.

Not a fan of Simon Pegg as Scotty anyway.
    Your TV should have an option in the audio settings to automatically regulate the volume.
    I had to put that on as a lot of modern blockbusters are quite badly mixed in terms of sound effects to dialogue.
  • poot 6 Aug 2014 22:09:06 782 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Wing Commander also has Jurgen Prochnow being depthcharged again.
  • Dougs 6 Aug 2014 22:11:28 67,638 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pfft, I watch gremlins most Christmaseseses and it's ace.
  • Chug666 6 Aug 2014 22:16:27 42 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pacific Rim

Really shit. Action bits are like a big budget episode of power rangers, acty bits are just bad. That said, I stuck with it because I have a soft spot for stupid action films, but that probably reflects badly on my tolerance of shitty movies rather than acting as any form of recommendation. Probably better when you're drunk.

33/100
  • cjb_bjc 6 Aug 2014 22:39:01 1,086 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dawn of the apes - 40/100

Well shot with some decent music but riddled with clichés and sub par acting. Just watched the first one and amazed in the drop in quality.
  • President_Weasel 6 Aug 2014 22:54:05 9,289 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    poot wrote:
    Wing Commander also has Jurgen Prochnow being depthcharged again.
    Indeed it does. I remember thinking two things at the time: "this film is really shit" and "did they cast him because of the depth charge bit, or did they write the depth charge bit because of him?"

Such a poor film though, strong sense of "video game movie, phone it in, nobody gives a shit"
  • President_Weasel 6 Aug 2014 22:56:24 9,289 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:

Man of Tai Chi - 6.5/10

Keanu Reeves directs and stars in this film. Decent fighting scenes save this film from being total drongo.

Keanu plays Bad Neo. A evil man who organises fight club events and raises the stakes as the fights get more and more dangerous.

Sometimes, just sometimes, Keanu gets away with showing off how truly awful his acting is. Not in this. The is utterly, magnificently awful in ways you cannot possibly imagine. Probably worth watching for his bad guy laugh alone.

However, I really enjoyed the fight sense which pits various styles against each other. The Man of Tai Chi is one of the people Keanu selects to be in his club and finds himself a rapidly rising star. Loss of innocence and greed both play a part in the somewhat flimsy plot.

No matter how awful Keanu is in this though, I did start to smile for the right reasons when he finally decides to kick some ass, and starts going Bad Neo.

As a first directorial attempt, it's not really that bad. Whoever did the fight choreography did an excellent job. Much better than 47 Ronin.
    I thought it was decent, myself, even though the plot was incredibly generic. I think Keanu starred as the bad buy in order to raise the film's profile and get the cash to make it. Tai Chi guy is damn good.
  • Humperfunk 6 Aug 2014 22:56:41 2,237 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Inbetweeners 2

As funny as the series, brilliant stuff.

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• consoledelight 6 Aug 2014 22:57:00 150 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Raiders of the Lost Ark - 10/10

Sorry, i grew up with this film. I cannot give it anything less.

Guardians of the Galaxy - 9/10

Really sci-fi, more than i was expecting. Great fun, great visuals and some very funny moments.
    Give it a go.
  • Load_2.0 6 Aug 2014 23:11:09 19,251 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The fights in Man of Tai Chi are awesome and filmed in continuous shots rather then quick edit Bourne mode that you get a lot.
  • bad09 7 Aug 2014 00:15:16 5,893 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    consoledelight wrote:

I was watching this BBC3 to, absolutely 10/10 they really do not make 'em like that anymore...might knock a mark of for making me look silly though, was being all film geek smug and telling the mrs of the cobra reflection only to find they fixed it :)

Bar a some dodgy green screen here and there and a blatantly painted backdrop in one scene it looked quite special in HD to, may look at the blu set for the indy films.
  • President_Weasel 7 Aug 2014 00:23:43 9,289 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Guardians of the Galaxy - 8/10

Not perfect, but bloody great fun. Space opera that isn't afraid to be itself, and doesn't see the need to be all serious and grimdark just to prove something (cough Superman cough).

Everyone's good in it. Chris Pratt is excellent as 'Star Lord'.
    Sadly Zoe Saldana is married, although on the plus side that doesn't actually make her any more ridiculously out of reach for me than if she'd been single.
  • craigy Staff 7 Aug 2014 09:14:30 7,648 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Guardians of the Galaxy: 7/10
  • richarddavies 7 Aug 2014 09:36:02 2,645 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Inbetweeners 2

Doesn't stray from the formula but that's not a bad thing. Funny as fook all the way through. Me and my mate had different opinions on whether it was better than the first but regardless if you liked the show and the first film you'll still love it.

And I think this might do very well at the box office. Went on opening night last week to Guardians and walked straight in to a cinema a quarter full. With this we had to join a queue that started quite someways outside the cinema for half an hour just to get in. Was fooking rammed.

7/10
  • CosmicFuzz 7 Aug 2014 09:42:43 24,230 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, the first is one of the most successful British comedies ever. Second one will hopefully do well, I loved the TV show and first film (final series was a bit weak). Although there doesn't seem to have been much marketing for this film, saw a poster on a bus for it last week and was surprised how soon it was out!

All I've seen is that 'fire wankers' teaser, which was brilliant :D

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• Dougs 7 Aug 2014 09:51:19 67,638 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I didn't mind the first film, but like a lot of these series that make it to the big screen, it felt like the same jokes stretched out over 90 mins. Definitely had its moments though and appeals to my juvenile sense of humour.
  • twelveways 7 Aug 2014 10:06:51 4,003 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pacific Rim

I had heard bad things about this movie so I never bothered with it before but I actually kind of enjoyed it. The script and acting were cack, I didn't bother following the story but the movie definitely delivers in terms of giant robots fighting giant monsters. I just wish there were more robots.

2/10 if you are watching with your missus or expecting a storyline
    9/10 if you like robots fighting monsters
  • monkman76 7 Aug 2014 10:09:51 4,231 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I didn't mind the first film, but like a lot of these series that make it to the big screen, it felt like the same jokes stretched out over 90 mins. Definitely had its moments though and appeals to my juvenile sense of humour.
    I can't help cracking up when they dance-walk across the empty club. It's painfully reminiscent.
  • nickthegun 7 Aug 2014 10:14:52 59,857 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    2/10 if you are watching with your missus or expecting a storyline
    My mrs enjoyed it more than I did, but shes a sci-fi nerd of quite epic proportions.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Maturin 7 Aug 2014 10:42:56 2,991 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    consoledelight wrote:

I was watching this BBC3 to, absolutely 10/10 they really do not make 'em like that anymore...might knock a mark of for making me look silly though, was being all film geek smug and telling the mrs of the cobra reflection only to find they fixed it :)

Bar a some dodgy green screen here and there and a blatantly painted backdrop in one scene it looked quite special in HD to, may look at the blu set for the indy films.
    Still an amazing film. The only two bits that stick out for me are the kind of thing they didn't bother with pre-VHS - when repeated viewings meant folks started to notice stuff.

They both involve the truck. The truck explosion is completely devoid of people. It's like the busy city just suddenly emptied.

Secondly the drag behind the truck - again, suddenly we're away from anyone and there's not much backdrop. Feels a very empty separate scene from some of the camera angles.

But these are super-nitpicks and the kind of thing one only picks up on for watching the film for decades.
  • Mr_Sleep 7 Aug 2014 10:57:37 17,061 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Yeah, the first is one of the most successful British comedies ever. Second one will hopefully do well, I loved the TV show and first film (final series was a bit weak). Although there doesn't seem to have been much marketing for this film, saw a poster on a bus for it last week and was surprised how soon it was out!

Curious, I have seen a lot of plugging for the second film. They have been on TV loads doing interviews. There was even a fucking stupid talking-head thing last night where they talk about how funny all the episodes are.

You are a factory of sadness.

• consoledelight 7 Aug 2014 11:01:22 150 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @bad09 yeah I couldnt spot the screen either.
    Still 10 out a 10.
  • HardlyRiding 7 Aug 2014 11:21:09 15 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    The amazing spider-man 2: 7/10
    standard block buster film that wasn't as good as the first one on the reboot and not anywhere near as good as the 2nd in the Raimi versions.
  • CosmicFuzz 7 Aug 2014 11:32:31 24,230 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

Curious, I have seen a lot of plugging for the second film. They have been on TV loads doing interviews. There was even a fucking stupid talking-head thing last night where they talk about how funny all the episodes are.
    Oh really! Perhaps I'm just going blind then, it's quite possible.

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• bad09 7 Aug 2014 11:40:42 5,893 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @consoledelight

I looked it up after because I was baffled. Seems they got rid of it for the DVD release. They left in the blue van reflection and bouncing slab of rock though :)
  • bad09 7 Aug 2014 12:14:55 5,893 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Maturin

The truck scene not only clears people it filmed in different locations to. Raiders has loads of these little mistakes, actually fun to pick them out or hear about them.

One of favourites is the self repairing porsche in commando .
  • mattk84 7 Aug 2014 12:58:56 470 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ...but (as per Big Bang Theory episode) does Indy actually play any part in the story of the Ark?!

PSN ID IMrAndersonI

• neilka 7 Aug 2014 13:08:18 15,911 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Apart from finding it?

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• richarddavies 7 Aug 2014 13:09:12 2,645 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mattk84 wrote:
    ...but (as per Big Bang Theory episode) does Indy actually play any part in the story of the Ark?!
    Ha!

I loved that episode. Sheldon's world crumbling when he can't think of any reason How Indy made any tangible difference to how the story pans out with him being there.
  • jablonski 7 Aug 2014 13:16:25 4,101 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mattk84 wrote:
    The amount of times people have brought that up in conversation without actually referencing the Big Bang theory as source.

It's spread like wildfire
  • Page

of 2766 First / Last