• Load_2.0 2 Aug 2014 18:52:15 19,669 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Po-faced.
  • ProfessorLesser 2 Aug 2014 19:57:25 19,417 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Guardians of the Galaxy - 7/10

I feel like I've seen it before. Yeah it was quite funny and irreverential, but haven't we been doing that for a while now? Sending up comic-book characters and tropes and patting ourselves on the back for it? Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it's hardly the revelation everyone seems to be making it out to be. Or is it? Maybe I'm just missing something. Shrug.

Also, how is this in any way like Star Wars? Where are these comparisons coming from? It's just... sort of in space.
  • Derblington 2 Aug 2014 20:45:02 22,281 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not sure about the Star Wars references either, tbh, other than the huge range of alien species (that are all humanoid!). It's as much Star Trek.

It's not really relevant though, the film does it's thing and does it well. Its good, fun sci-fi of the kind we don't get often enough.
  • iamexclusive 2 Aug 2014 21:33:11 115 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Mystic River (2004)

A gripping film from the master Clint Eastwood about the trials and tribulations of murder in a small town. A fantastic performance from Tim Robbins along with Sean Penn.

Moral of story: what goes around comes around.

9/10

Formerly Eurostalker (banned for extreme sarcasm)

• jablonski 3 Aug 2014 08:54:34 4,863 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Guardians of The Galaxy

Really enjoyed this. Very likeable characters, actual real humour that isn't just derived from genre deconstruction (i.e. superheroes making fun of each other how ridiculous they all look in their outfits etc), but actual real timeless humour.

The effects are some of the best CG I've ever seen. And the worlds are varied and visually interesting (felt like I was watching a Mass Effect film at some points).

Managed to keep the pace up right till the end.

Would have preferred it to be standalone from the rest of the Marvel Universe to be honest.

91/100
  • jablonski 3 Aug 2014 08:56:32 4,863 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Special ID

Donnie Yen as an undercover policeman working in a Hong Kong gang.

Pretty dull. Apparently it was a troubled production. It certainly feels a bit of a miss mash.

35/100
  • Deleted user 3 August 2014 08:58:42
    iamexclusive wrote:
    Mystic River (2004)

A gripping film from the master Clint Eastwood about the trials and tribulations of murder in a small town. A fantastic performance from Tim Robbins along with Sean Penn.

9/10
    How on earth is that the moral??
  • Derblington 3 Aug 2014 09:08:03 22,281 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jablonski wrote:
    Guardians of The Galaxy

Would have preferred it to be standalone from the rest of the Marvel Universe to be honest.
    Why does that matter? You can watch it as it's own thing.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Aug 2014 09:10:45 8,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    iamexclusive wrote:
    Mystic River (2004)

9/10
    How on earth is that the moral??
    It's the moral because you know that if you commit a crime with Kevin Bacon on the watch, he will get you in the end!

Edited by Mola_Ram at 09:20:43 03-08-2014
  • jablonski 3 Aug 2014 09:14:27 4,863 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    jablonski wrote:
    Guardians of The Galaxy

Why does that matter? You can watch it as it's own thing.
    Yes, and I did thanks.
    But I'd prefer the sequels to just be self contained - not these ongoing crossovers between films.

I think the other Marvel stuff is getting stale and wearing thin.
    This felt fresh and exciting. I'd rather they were separate.
  • fletch7100 3 Aug 2014 09:19:41 7,446 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    F
  • Derblington 3 Aug 2014 09:20:28 22,281 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's going to tie into one film in 4 years time...
  • TechnoHippy 3 Aug 2014 09:31:33 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Noah

I enjoyed it more than I expected to, but it should have been much better. It's an epic tale that didn't really need some of the embellishments that were added. The CG was pretty obvious for the most part, but I did enjoy most of the sequences. It retains an epic feel, but only just. The cast do an adequate job, enough to make it watchable, but not enough to shine.

6/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Jmek 3 Aug 2014 09:49:19 1,357 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Guardians Of The Galaxy - 90%

Man I wish I'd gone to see this in 3d, but the friends I went with are all anti, ah well. So the characters are vastly removed from their comic book roots, however taken as it's own thing the film is an absolute blast.
  • RyanDS 3 Aug 2014 10:10:44 9,833 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Robocop, the new one.

I quite enjoyed this and it was way better than I expected.

Not much I can say without spoilers, but I did like the end of the journey for robocop,

8/10
  • FWB 3 Aug 2014 10:15:27 45,580 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Edge of Tomorrow.

meh/10

Started alright, I quite liked Tom's initial character as he's very different from his other roles a bit of a wuss, but it then becomes distinctly average. I quite liked Oblivion, but this was pretty MOR.
  • mattk84 3 Aug 2014 12:37:14 583 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Thing (2011)

Doesn't know whether it is a remake or prequel. Deserves some credit for tieing in to the 1980 film but loses some of it for duplicating scenes.

PSN ID IMrAndersonI

• Lukus 3 Aug 2014 13:09:55 19,464 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really liked Edge of Tomorrow. It looked and felt like what a film based on a game should feel and look like. Not that it was, but that appealed to me a lot.

Paintings & Photographs

• Mola_Ram 3 Aug 2014 14:12:08 8,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The Distance

An Austrian artist and experimental mathematician hires a trio of telepathic Russian dwarves to steal something called "The Distance" from a mostly-abandoned factory in Siberia. The heist involves dead animals, masturbation, and a Japanese talking bucket, amongst other things.

I have no idea what to rate it. It's the most bizarre thing I've seen in a long time.
  • Load_2.0 3 Aug 2014 14:21:19 19,669 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Raid 2.

Liked the first one, this was good but it seemed like they wanted to outdo the first by upping the violence. Plus I had no idea what was going on for the majority of the film, the plot lost me in the first five minutes and I wasn't sure which suit wearing ganglord was which.

6.5/10
  • drhcnip 3 Aug 2014 15:12:57 2,650 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    europa report

been wanting to watch this for a while...great slice of indie scifi

8.5/10
  • TechnoHippy 3 Aug 2014 16:00:44 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    drhcnip wrote:
    europa report

been wanting to watch this for a while...great slice of indie scifi

8.5/10
    Looks interesting. I've bought it.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• beastmaster 3 Aug 2014 16:01:09 11,983 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Machete Kills - 4/10

I remember being incredibly disappointed with this when I came out of the cinema and thinking "what a load of crap!". I deiced it give it nether go because sometimes I'll enjoy a film a lot more second time around (as I'll mention again shortly).

So such luck. It's slightly better second time around. I love the original film. It's an ungilty-guilty pleasure. This one, I just though they cocked up on, especially in the second half. The plot was always going to be ludicrous but this one's just...shit. Mel Gibson is totally bland and the film takes a massive downturn as soon as he appears. It's not that great till that point either.

Any film with Amber Heard deserves something. The wealth of cameos (brief though they are) are also quite welcome. A couple of decent, gory deaths too.

Avoid. Perhaps we won't get Machete Kills Again In Space.

Kill Bill Vols 1 and 2 - 10/10 and 9/10, overall 9.5/10

I absolutely hated Vol 2 when I watched it and the cinema. Especially coming after the brilliant first film. I few people urged me to give it another go in a recent conversation, so I did. I've not seen it since (as far as I can remember).

I still think Vol 1 is remarkable. For me it's probably QT's best film. The second one is where he slows things down a bit. Not quite sure why I hated it so much first time around. Too high an expectation perhaps or just wanting another action packed film.

It's almost as good the the first. It's where the dialogue and characters get fleshed out a lot more. Still not a fan of the Bill's comic book speech towards the end.

It looks as though QT is releasing his original vision back into the cinemas with Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair. It looks as though it's not going to be just the two films together in one long one but it may contain an extended anime sequence and more gore etc. I'll look forward to seeing that next year.

Just got back from seeing Hercules. I'll do that after I watch The Lego Movie. I hope it's awesome!

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• DUFFMAN5 3 Aug 2014 16:09:36 15,393 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Filth
    Excellent
    Everyone on top of their game.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• PES_Fanboy 3 Aug 2014 17:26:50 18,914 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hercules. Was expecting an amount of labour, but this was just The 300, only less gay and therefore poorer.

32/100
  • jablonski 3 Aug 2014 17:48:23 4,863 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Kill Bill Tarantino's best film?

I just can't see that at all.
  • PES_Fanboy 3 Aug 2014 18:02:08 18,914 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Personal opinion can't be bullshit Blonks.
  • Dolly 3 Aug 2014 18:02:46 3,256 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Classic Jablonskillbill
  • RyanDS 3 Aug 2014 18:32:17 9,833 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Guardians of the galaxy.

First time I have seen an IMAX 3d movie and wow, it really was worth the extra cash. A bit of a weird movie in that it looks like a ckids cartoon, but is full of light swearing and some quite brutal action. The main thing is it was genuinely funny with quite a few laugh out loud moments and great characters. The plot was nonsense, but nevertheless it was a great watch.

9/10
  • drhcnip 3 Aug 2014 19:13:03 2,650 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @TechnoHippy

i really enjoyed it...quite low budget but its well done and concentrates on being sciency and pseudo-realistic rather than ott
  • Page

of 2862 First / Last