Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2667

• Page

of 2704 First / Last

• PES_Fanboy 12 Jun 2014 10:43:56 13,362 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jablonski wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Think the issue is the film, not the character.
    Nothing wrong with an unashamed 80's vigilante throwback movie done right.

/changes title of thread to "Rate Taken out of 100" as it should be.
    It was just troubling in terms of morals - not by a character per se. And didn't have the self awareness and comedy / preposterousness of 80s action films.
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Jun 2014 10:46:18 16,838 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Being a massive perv, I thought this was an excellent directorial decision.
    :D

You are a factory of sadness.

• Deckard1 12 Jun 2014 10:48:47 27,069 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's certainly just put it up a few places in my To Watch list.
  • Innuendobot_5000 12 Jun 2014 10:56:05 85 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    I constantly mistake Brian Cox and Albert Finney for one another.
    NEVER. MISTAKE. COX. FOR. FINNEY.
  • Architect_z 12 Jun 2014 11:06:22 2,374 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Or Brian Cox for Brian Cox.
  • nickthegun 12 Jun 2014 11:14:43 58,782 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Speaking of 80s vigilante throwbacks, has anyone seen the trailer (or indeed the movie) for that new thing with Kevin Costner.

FROM THE GUYS WHO MADE TAKEN COMES.... TAKEN WITH KEVIN COSTNER.

It made me larf.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• nickthegun 12 Jun 2014 11:21:24 58,782 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyway... mooooovies:

The Machine:

A reasonable british Sci-Fi movie that felt like a mini-series hacked down to 90 minutes.

Gustav Graves stars as a guy who never sleeps, working for the MOD in a day after tomorrow future (where everyone drives 2013 model cars), in a sinister bunker, trying to create AI that is sufficiently advanced to kill chinese guys. When he succeeds, hilarity ensues.

Its actually full of really interesting ideas and concepts that are never really fleshed out, characters bounce from one place to another and no one ever actually has a conversation with anyone else, leaving motivations occasionally baffling.

Its worth a watch as it looks nice, the sountrack is decent (a straight bladerunner, synth stab rip off) and, as I say, it has some very interesting ideas and well shot set pieces.

Sadly, it just feels like it was hacked to pieces on the cutting room floor.

6/10

Edited by nickthegun at 11:22:56 12-06-2014

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• beastmaster 12 Jun 2014 11:28:18 11,150 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Brian Cox was excellent in The Long Kiss Goodnight. An utterly rediculous film which I love.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• TechnoHippy 12 Jun 2014 16:12:56 14,698 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Machine

This is an interesting British sci-fi film about the creation of the first artificial intelligence. It's a bit predictable, but it evolves at a decent pace and is told in an entertaining way so that doesn't matter too much. In essence it breaks down into a love story with a terminator. That might not sound like a great idea I was surprised that it actually worked. A fun watch, but not a taxing one.

6/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Bremenacht 12 Jun 2014 19:34:36 17,600 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yurusarezaru (許されざる者, Unforgiven)
    So, it's Unforgiven and you know the story. It doesn't play out quite like Unforgiven though. It's set pretty much following the events in 'The Last Samurai' in an area of northern Japan populated by a native aborigine people -the Ainu- into which modern, Imperial Japanese are settling. This adds an undertone of racial conflict to the already familiar themes of guilt and (un)controlled violence. The writer character is still there, but his role as a means of setting up American gunfighter mythology (to be shot down), has been understandably diminished. Some other bits have either been added for exposition, or removed or simply ordered a bit differently. Nothing worth detailing here.

It's a fairly brutal film, both in terms of existence in which the characters are living (more wilderness than wild west) and the violence, which is haphazard and even more cruel than the original. There is no martial artistry here, with the fast-firing retribution dealt out by Eastwood's character being replaced by the bloody and desperate fight of Ken Watanabe's. Eastwood's film tore up Western gunfighter mythology but then added to them with it's superb final gunfight. This finale is simply a culmination of the brutality. No heroism here.

Watanabe and cast are excellent, although no character stands out in the starry way that Eastwood, Hackman or Richard Harris did. The landscapes are as harsh and unforgiving as the characters, and honestly filmed, I thought. Nothing gimmicky to draw attention to the film-making.

A bit duller than the original then, but with more meaning. Worth finding.
  • Khanivor 12 Jun 2014 19:52:05 40,360 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So it's an Eastern?
  • Bremenacht 12 Jun 2014 20:49:52 17,600 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Haha! Yes! It's an Eastern Western. Or a Western Eastern
  • Bremenacht 12 Jun 2014 20:50:19 17,600 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FUck! NO mention of tropes. Bah. Missed a trick there.
  • PES_Fanboy 12 Jun 2014 22:03:51 13,362 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:NO mention of tropes.
    They call them lassoes in Westerns
  • B0rked_Gamer 12 Jun 2014 22:11:16 2,481 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hedge of Tomorrow -6/10

Groundhog Day with Aliens. I didn't know anything about it going in and found the time altering alien thing a bit daft but it was ok. Cruise was decent but Emily Blunt gave a very wooden performance.
  • Fruit_Salad 12 Jun 2014 22:17:50 295 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My last three:

Grown ups 2
    2/10 and I don't even know what the two is for. Both of them.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
    4/10

Admission
    A nice 6/10
  • TechnoHippy 13 Jun 2014 19:16:17 14,698 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Borderlands

I'm surprised I made it to the end of this film. I don't mind a lack of quality as long as some effort is made somewhere, but it's lacking throughout. The plot is predictable, in fact a comment early on in the film pretty much gives the whole story away. The found footage uses head cams so it's mostly head bob and when it finally gets going lights and darkness. It does redeem itself a little bit at the end and the burning sheep gets a point. Not worth watching.

3/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Nemesis 13 Jun 2014 19:30:31 18,593 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Speaking of 80s vigilante throwbacks, has anyone seen the trailer (or indeed the movie) for that new thing with Kevin Costner.

FROM THE GUYS WHO MADE TAKEN COMES.... TAKEN WITH KEVIN COSTNER.

It made me larf.
    3 Days To Kill!
  • askew 13 Jun 2014 20:03:59 12,020 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd recommend visiting a museum, visit some unique restaurants, ingrain yourself in the local culture.
  • Nemesis 13 Jun 2014 20:17:09 18,593 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    After Non-Stop I think someone else'll have to watch and review 3 Days. I don't think I can do it.
  • Maturin 13 Jun 2014 20:24:20 2,889 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Brian Cox was excellent in The Long Kiss Goodnight. An utterly rediculous film which I love.
    I love that film. Features Shane Black's best dialogue. Sam Jackson is brilliant in it "that's not a dick, it's a duck".

When I was at E3 2006 I saw an edit of the film on US TV. They butchered it to the point of making it a family film. There was no violence. It made no sense at all. And only lasted an hour.
  • glaeken 14 Jun 2014 12:20:15 11,086 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Wolverine - GCI bear/10 - For some reason the Wolverine is using plastic claws for a lot of this as he seems to be able to deliver lots of non cutty injuries with his big razor sharp claws. When he does pop out the real claws we get to see lots of implied impalings. Also features a giant CGI bear. Time was a film would have had a real bear not some stupidly over size fake CGI shit.

And finally nuclear bombs dropped from B-29's were not dropped from very low altitude. I think people would have got where the nuke came from without having to show the low flying B-29's
  • monkehhh 14 Jun 2014 12:32:35 3,267 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    3 Days to Kill. Not very good out of 10.
  • disusedgenius 14 Jun 2014 12:32:55 5,195 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Meh, I thought the bear was reasonably well done tbh.
  • glaeken 14 Jun 2014 12:36:55 11,086 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Apart from the fact it was the biggest bear in the world ever and obviously CGI it was well done.
  • disusedgenius 14 Jun 2014 12:40:13 5,195 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, yeah. It's not like it was oscar worthy or anything. Just seems like an odd thing to single out - it's not like it was Scorpion King bad or anything.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Jun 2014 14:36:32 6,950 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The bear is in the movie for like 2 minutes. It is not a crucial plot point.
  • BinaryBob101 14 Jun 2014 14:42:26 22,278 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    We really needed more of the bear.

Beautiful tender beings.

• Mola_Ram 14 Jun 2014 14:47:36 6,950 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I dunno, the movie was grizzly enough as it was.
  • monkehhh 14 Jun 2014 14:48:01 3,267 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tim's Vermeer

Teller directs and Penn narrates the story of their friend who tries to figure out how Vermeer produced particularly photographic paintings in the 16th century. He's convinced that Vermeer used an optical setup and gets good results with a test painting, so he decides to copy one of Vermeer's paintings (currently owned by the Queen) with fascinating results. Also, David Hockney turns up and smokes some fags.

Really good / 10.
  • Page

of 2704 First / Last