Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2631

• Page

of 2861 First / Last

• Dante_Cubit 16 May 2014 10:15:32 1,931 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Frank - 8.5/10

A very quirky and endearing film. The music is superb too.
  • CosmicFuzz 16 May 2014 10:22:30 25,621 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Watched Vertigo on Wednesday due to recommendations on Netflix thread.

Was great! Not at all what I was expecting, a much more personal tale than I'd been led to believe. The twisty story was well told, and twice I was taken by surprise at the plot (incredibly it was the same event really).

Good stuff. And James Stewart was fantastic in it.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• HarryPalmer 16 May 2014 10:22:53 3,584 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @jablonski

The Great Beauty is great. Questionable CGI giraffes and flamingos though.
  • Max_Powers 16 May 2014 11:40:21 1,102 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Great Beauty is brilliant. One of the few films in the last half year that really impressed me.
  • Tom_Servo 16 May 2014 11:49:53 18,082 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah I'm looking forward to it. I have the DVD but couldn't get the subtitles to work when I tried to watch it on the TV at home, but hopefully it'll work okay here.
  • Tom_Servo 16 May 2014 11:50:54 18,082 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

Was great! Not at all what I was expecting, a much more personal tale than I'd been led to believe. The twisty story was well told, and twice I was taken by surprise at the plot (incredibly it was the same event really).

\o/

I love James Stewart at the end. It could have so easily been OTT and embarrassing to watch (imagine Nic Cage doing that role...), but he really nails it.
  • HarryPalmer 16 May 2014 12:06:20 3,584 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd be down for a Nic Cage remake of Vertigo. Not a bad idea.
  • PES_Fanboy 16 May 2014 12:20:09 18,913 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nic Cage in: Schrodinger's Actor

Playing himself, Nic Cage is at the same time the greatest actor that Eurogamer has ever seen, and the worst.

1/100 or 100/100
  • gang_of_bitches 16 May 2014 15:43:02 5,644 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dante_Cubit wrote:
    Frank - 8.5/10

Gonna have to see this. When I first saw the poster I thought a) that they were ripping off Frank Sidebottom b) how weird it was that they were ripping off Frank Sidebottom.
  • CosmicFuzz 16 May 2014 15:53:25 25,621 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

\o/

I love James Stewart at the end. It could have so easily been OTT and embarrassing to watch (imagine Nic Cage doing that role...), but he really nails it.
    Yeah he's spot on. I'm going to have to watch more Stewart I think, aside from this and Wonderful Life, I'm not sure if I've seen any of his other stuff.

Rear Window is up next.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• gang_of_bitches 16 May 2014 15:55:27 5,644 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Godzilla- 68/100

I think I get what they were trying to do ie. follow the pseudo sciencey, anti-nuclear message of the originals with a set piece battle finale but with a darker, more serious tone. But the makers had to work very hard to construct a plot that was even the slightest bit plausible (granted it's a monster movie so one should be prepared to suspend disbelief) and as a result the film was pretty clunky.

In fact I strongly suspect that a massive portion of it was written with a view to building a franchise rather than just delivering a great standalone film.

There really wasn't much wrong with it, just not enough that was great to merit a higher score.
  • Jmek 16 May 2014 16:57:47 1,357 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Godzilla 3D - 70%

I should have loved this, but didn't. The story's fine, the actors are fine, the effects are pretty jaw dropping - especially Godzilla himself. The 3d is as flat as a pancake though, don't bother. I think the problem was that there just wasn't enough of the big G. There's build up and then there's getting on the audiences tits. Sadly the titillation sided on the latter for me. Worth watching though, and I'll definitely watch it again.
  • CosmicFuzz 16 May 2014 17:03:07 25,621 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Argh WHY ARE SO MANY OF YOU NOT LIKING GODZILLA

• Jmek 16 May 2014 17:16:13 1,357 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I liked it, it's just a bit like a city after Godzilla's trounced it - a bit flat!
  • Tom_Servo 16 May 2014 17:38:03 18,082 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Yeah he's spot on. I'm going to have to watch more Stewart I think, aside from this and Wonderful Life, I'm not sure if I've seen any of his other stuff.

Rear Window is up next.
    He's also great in that. They're both stone cold 10/10s, but I do slightly prefer Rear Window.
  • Load_2.0 16 May 2014 17:43:04 19,669 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just came out of the theatre.

Godzilla was ok, just felt like were a load of completely pointless characters taking up screen time. Oddly I enjoyed the first 30 minutes far more than the rest of the film.

Enjoyable enough at the cinema but not amazing.

Roar/10
  • gamingdave 16 May 2014 18:06:40 4,334 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought the remake of Crazies was poor compared to the original. The story of those escaping was OK, and it looked nice, but the original had so much more to say.

In the remake the whole plot involving the dilemma the military have over the situation of whipping out the town is pretty much ignored.

The original has a message as well as the drama, the remake is a run around trying to escape zombie film.

Edited by gamingdave at 18:07:10 16-05-2014
  • Tom_Servo 16 May 2014 23:06:50 18,082 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Great Beauty - 10/10

Incredible. Faultless, really. The kind of film you bask in the beauty of. Loved every second. Sensational from start to finish. Those party scenes. :)

An absolute must watch for anyone who loves Italy (but is still open to some satire on the modern state of the country).
  • Gremmoo 16 May 2014 23:25:38 1,120 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    It's a film that I dislike the more I think about it. My meaningless and arbitrary score has now dropped to 5/10.
  • Tom_Servo 16 May 2014 23:32:25 18,082 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ha, same. Was so hyped for it.
  • Load_2.0 17 May 2014 00:02:55 19,669 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Its just a bit odd, the initial 20 - 30 mins felt to me like a separate movie. The characters and their action are all a bit irrelevant. They did stay very close to the 50's original in Godzilla's design, movement and in the battles.

Its not terrible just not amazing.
  • Dante_Cubit 17 May 2014 00:10:26 1,931 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    Dante_Cubit wrote:
    Frank - 8.5/10

Gonna have to see this. When I first saw the poster I thought a) that they were ripping off Frank Sidebottom b) how weird it was that they were ripping off Frank Sidebottom.
    It's worthwhile. It is very odd in tone and has a kind of pathos about it but is often laugh out loud funny.
  • Gremmoo 17 May 2014 00:16:16 1,120 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Its just a bit odd, the initial 20 - 30 mins felt to me like a separate movie. The characters and their action are all a bit irrelevant. They did stay very close to the 50's original in Godzilla's design, movement and in the battles.

Its not terrible just not amazing.
    It suffered from the same problems as Batman, really. While Batman wanted to be a gritty realistic film about a guy who dresses up as a giant bat, Godzilla wants to be a po-faced serious piece about a giant lizard that duffs up other giant monsters.
  • beastmaster 17 May 2014 01:43:36 11,977 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just got back from Godzilla. Do a proper review sometime over the weekend but it's a 6/10 from me. Load_2.0 has nailed it in his comment above.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Khanivor 17 May 2014 04:28:21 41,259 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    All is Lost - 9/10

Gripped me from start to finish. Easily the best movie about a fucked man on a boat I've ever seen. Even better than Dirty Oars II. It also is surely the leader in most 'fucks' per word of dialogue.

Redford could end his career in front of the camera with this; doubtful a cameo in some action movie will beat this performance. Can only really be faulted for some evident green screen.

This is how you do peril in absolute solitude, Gravity.
  • Gremmoo 17 May 2014 04:42:39 1,120 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Yeah, I really liked All is Lost. Probably my favourite film of last year. I didn't dislike Gravity, but AiL was easily the superior film.
  • Puppaz 17 May 2014 08:13:18 337 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Creature:
    Found this 1985 sci-fi/horror on netflix whilst randomly selecting nonsense to watch.
    One of those "so bad it's worth watching" films, even if it's just an atrocious Alien rip off.

Some of the scenes are directly lifted from alien, I don't want to spoil the enjoyment for people to catch them all though. There are also other parts stolen from other films like the creators thought making a collage of sci-fi horror would make the ultimate horror. It didn't.

However it isn't helped by some atrocious acting, laugh out loud atrocious acting. Nor by the dodgy b-movie effects or the confusion of actors trying to walk in slow motion to display low gravity (possibly? Maybe there's another reason) and often forgetting, or moving from slow motion to pausing between each step...

Having said all this, it's not unbearable to watch, and if you enjoy watching a terrible film for a laugh I'd definitely recommend it.

Beer helps / 10

Edited by Puppaz at 08:14:39 17-05-2014
  • famous_roy 17 May 2014 09:42:43 4,102 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Godzila 5/10

Mind numbingly average. The story is completely superfluous, but without the saving grace of b-movie acting and charm. It's pretty directionless, it's hard to understand who is doing what and why, all the plot devices are basically busy work for the actors.

So the monsters. Considering Godzilla's rich and diverse rogues gallery, MUTO is a bizarre and frankly dull choice of antagonist. The battles themselves are ok but lack any sort of excitement, apart form the highlight of Godzilla's Atomic Breath which was just perfect. Godzilla overall looked great, not only the design but the animation and style worked really well.

It's such a shame that the pacing, script and structure were so painfully dull. Either go for po faced hyper realism, or balls out trashy b-movie charm. Pacific Rim made the right choice, see that instead.

Save yourself the trip and look at this image for 2 hours, it's basically the same experience.

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• Deleted user 17 May 2014 09:47:55
    Pacific Rim was one of the most poorly paced and boring films I've ever seen, so this must be horrific.
  • Page

of 2861 First / Last