Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2629

• Page

of 2862 First / Last

• jablonski 13 May 2014 20:43:09 4,864 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So what was I supposed to say, he "ripped off" too many other films?

Well that would give a negative slant to it wouldn't it, which is why I used the positive term "homage".

Do you see?
  • MrFlay 13 May 2014 20:50:41 1,024 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Snowpiercer - 7/10

I really wanted to like this more as I'm a huge fan of Bong Joon-ho and Korean cinema in general. The performances are generally quite good especially Chris Evans and John Hurt. The problems start with Tilda Swinton's cartoonish character and some very odd sounding dialogue. I watched the French cut so the full Korean version might be more satisfying but I found the ending weirdly rushed in some ways. Without spoiling it too much, it really is an anti-climax. I wanted to see the front of train passengers get some well-deserved comeuppance. I enjoyed much of the film but some of the dialogue is really, really terrible. There is a confessional monologue at the end of the film that is supposed to be awful in a certain way but is instead undermined by the complete awfulness of the dialogue. However it is a sci-fi film that is actually about something other than robots, lasers and explosions so you should watch it if you like science fiction with ideas.
  • jablonski 13 May 2014 20:53:20 4,864 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The French cut is the full cut I thought?

I hope so
  • MrFlay 13 May 2014 21:03:27 1,024 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought the Korean version was a little bit longer but I don't know why I thought that. I think you're right. The "international cut" is the Weinstein cut.
  • Deleted user 14 May 2014 12:22:43
    Searching for Sugar Man director Malik Bendjelloul has died at the age of 36 :(
  • sirtacos 14 May 2014 14:24:13 7,378 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Sphere

Surprisingly, it's quite good. Think 'Event Horizon' meets 'The Abyss'.
    The film has its fair share of faults, but I enjoyed the hell out of it anyway.

7/10
  • sirtacos 14 May 2014 14:56:25 7,378 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hey, you're right. It's "Sphere". Better title. Deserves 8/10
  • CosmicFuzz 14 May 2014 15:00:41 25,624 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sphere has a pretty strong opening half, but it all goes to shit towards the end.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• mrpon 14 May 2014 15:03:24 29,564 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought it was pretty rounded film to be honest. Okay it throws you a curveball in the third act, but it comes full circle in the end.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• CosmicFuzz 14 May 2014 15:06:09 25,624 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nah, they really ballsed up the third act.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• CosmicFuzz 14 May 2014 15:06:32 25,624 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Based on a pretty decent book by Michael Crichton.
    I don't get that one.

• CosmicFuzz 14 May 2014 15:10:13 25,624 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    It's based on a pretty decent film by Michael Crichton. Sphere is. Michael Crichton wrote Sphere.
    Nope, still not seeing it.

• Blakester 14 May 2014 15:12:39 3,664 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sphere is a great book and I think the film captured the atmosphere really well.

Anything set underwater is always going to be a winner for me though...

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• CosmicFuzz 14 May 2014 15:14:42 25,624 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FFS Deck we were doing sphere puns you moron

• DFawkes 14 May 2014 15:17:36 24,050 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Should've said it was a pretty descent book. Someone would've said you've misspelt decent, then you'd go NO IT'S DESCENT BECAUSE UNDERWATER HAHAHA!

The book is good though.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• CosmicFuzz 14 May 2014 15:19:22 25,624 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D

I've not read the book myself. The only Crichton I've read is Jurassic Park and The Lost World, and neither of them I really enjoyed that much!

• Youthist 14 May 2014 15:26:56 10,083 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am trying to find someone that saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Was great vs. what I thought it was going to be like. And best Stiller performance in years.

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• darkmorgado 14 May 2014 15:32:35 15,598 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I rather liked Walter Mitty. Went in with very low expectations, but it was all just completely lovely.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• gooner77 14 May 2014 15:58:21 898 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Worlds End 6/10

Decent enough with a couple of funny lines Not a patch on SoTD or Hot Fuzz though
  • Tom_Servo 14 May 2014 23:05:45 18,082 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Computer Chess - 4.0/10

It's the 1980s and some teams from various institutions gather in a hotel to have a computer chess competition. It has the style of a mockumentary, and is filmed using a 1960s video camera in black-and-white for that authentic lo-fi feel, but branches off into a few different areas like surrealism.

Being a Bujalski film, there's a lot of improvised dialogue full of "um"s and "like"s. It's not my favourite style in the world, but it's not ruinous for me. The standard of acting is generally quite good although there's definitely a few "amateur dramatics" moments.

There's a couple of problems though: despite being billed as a comedy, it's not funny. At all.

The second issue is that it's basically pointless and occasionally pretentious. It goes off in loads of different directions and leaves loads of intriguing questions unanswered and forgotten.

Bleh. Didn't enjoy it.
  • jablonski 14 May 2014 23:24:23 4,864 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    I am trying to find someone that saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Was great vs. what I thought it was going to be like. And best Stiller performance in years.
    Missed opportunity.

More or less ignored the whole point of the original Walter Mitty idea after 10 mins
  • Bauul 14 May 2014 23:42:51 194 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    gooner77 wrote:
    The Worlds End 6/10

Decent enough with a couple of funny lines Not a patch on SoTD or Hot Fuzz though
    Totally agree, I was rather disappointed by it. Too many Scott Pilgrim style fight scenes (which Wright did much better in Scott Pilgrim), and the story wasn't really paced properly at all, it was 20 minutes of character introductions and then just an extended chase sequence. Bit of a shame really.
  • Great-Googly-Moogly 15 May 2014 00:08:30 1,293 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Mud

Cracking. Matthew Magohany can act!

Two boys come across a boat in a tree on an island, as they explore it, they come across a charismatic man who is on the run from something. The boys natural curiousities lead to an eventful relationship between them.

Really impressed by this, a weird mixture of a coming of age tale mixed with that southern state darkness that Denis johnson and cormac McCarthy excel at. The script is terrific. The motives and natural curiousities of the children fitted the foil for a darker underbelly of adult life that is delicatley explored. The film never felt forced, and the various themes and story threads are neatly tied together. It a lot of fun, but at the same time just around the corner you are aware of an oncomming darkness.

The two boys i felt, put in really good performances you won't be annoyed by them

Impressed. 9/10

P.S special mention goes to the director of photography, nailed 'americana'

PSN: Cloudsheaven
    NNID: Notnits_85
    Photography: www.joelstinton.wordpress.com
    Games: www.joelsgamereview.wordpress.com

• Page

of 2862 First / Last