Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2622

• Page

of 2871 First / Last

• jablonski 7 May 2014 19:41:37 4,958 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    American Hustle

Holy shit this guy wishes he was was Scorsese. Even allowing for the possibility that it's an "homage" as opposed to a straight up rip-off, it's a bit ridiculous how far it goes. Every shot, every line, every song screams Scorsese. It's one of the most derivative things I've ever seen.

That aside, I still enjoyed it, although slightly despite myself at times. It's irritatingly enjoyable like a Take That song.

7/10
    I enjoyed it for what it was, but the end is pretty unforgivable.
    Like they run out of money, or the battery was running out so they quickly tied it all up.
  • Bremenacht 7 May 2014 21:44:21 19,666 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jablonski wrote:
    QotSAfan wrote:
    To Live and Die In L.A. 4/10

Was really looking forward to this and I ended up turning it off halfway through. Dafoe is very disappointing as the villain of the piece, he has no presence about him. The main character is a laughably big 80's arrogant moron. His new partner is anonymous. His former partner is 3 days from retirement. The soundtrack takes away from the movie, rather than adding to the scenes. Just a mess really.
    Shame you turned it off. Does something quite brave story-wise in the last third.
    Haven't seen in in what must be a decade but I recall it being very good, with that 'brave' thing being completely unexpected. I vaguely recall thinking "you can't do that! What do you do now?!"

Another one to try from the same period: Year of the Dragon. I thought Mickey Rourke was the bollocks at the time, which probably made it a lot better than it really was. Oh who cares. Young Mickey Rourke was cool. Rumblefish was super cool.
  • jablonski 7 May 2014 22:04:16 4,958 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    jablonski wrote:
    QotSAfan wrote:

Was really looking forward to this and I ended up turning it off halfway through. Dafoe is very disappointing as the villain of the piece, he has no presence about him. The main character is a laughably big 80's arrogant moron. His new partner is anonymous. His former partner is 3 days from retirement. The soundtrack takes away from the movie, rather than adding to the scenes. Just a mess really.
    Shame you turned it off. Does something quite brave story-wise in the last third.
    Haven't seen in in what must be a decade but I recall it being very good, with that 'brave' thing being completely unexpected. I vaguely recall thinking "you can't do that! What do you do now?!"

Another one to try from the same period: Year of the Dragon. I thought Mickey Rourke was the bollocks at the time, which probably made it a lot better than it really was. Oh who cares. Young Mickey Rourke was cool. Rumblefish was super cool.
    If he hadn't gone off the rails and tried to become a boxer, I think he would have been the actor of his generation.
    He is phenomenal in films of that period - Angel Heart, Barfly, and the Coppola's
  • Kichijoten 7 May 2014 22:32:23 2,285 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Very late to the conversation but the wrestler is phenomenal. One of my favourite films and I hate wrestling.
  • CosmicFuzz 7 May 2014 23:12:06 25,676 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rambo First Blood 9/10

Ok, that was great.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Great-Googly-Moogly 7 May 2014 23:33:09 1,312 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Barton Fink.

First time i've seen this. I don't know where to start. Or how to rate it. i enjoyed it a lot, but not sure entirely where i meant to stand. It takes you on a pretty surreal journey, part cyincal look at hollywood but then part cynical look at prentious lefty writers, part surreal french hotel drama, part hotel horror, theres so much going on, for what is a relatively simple set up of a guy with writers block.

Look forward to watching it again. The script is great, very funny.

Edited by Great_Googly_Moogly at 23:36:32 07-05-2014

PSN: Cloudsheaven
    NNID: Notnits_85
    Photography: www.joelstinton.wordpress.com
    Games: www.joelsgamereview.wordpress.com

• khaz 8 May 2014 04:17:05 2,826 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Rambo First Blood 9/10

Ok, that was great.
    :)

Now go see alternative ending on youtube.
  • fletch7100 8 May 2014 04:31:16 7,446 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Rambo First Blood 9/10

Ok, that was great.
    :)

Now go see alternative ending on youtube.
    Or read the novel the film is based on, the orginial ending is different to both movie endings.
  • CosmicFuzz 8 May 2014 06:12:35 25,676 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ha, I'll do both!

Edited by CosmicFuzz at 06:12:51 08-05-2014

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• mrpon 8 May 2014 06:17:26 29,587 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lastly, watch Son of Rambow

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• zoolophage 8 May 2014 06:48:05 2,299 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Great_Googly_Moogly wrote:
    Barton Fink.

First time i've seen this. I don't know where to start. Or how to rate it. i enjoyed it a lot, but not sure entirely where i meant to stand. It takes you on a pretty surreal journey, part cyincal look at hollywood but then part cynical look at prentious lefty writers, part surreal french hotel drama, part hotel horror, theres so much going on, for what is a relatively simple set up of a guy with writers block.

Look forward to watching it again. The script is great, very funny.
    Great film. One I can watch over and over and not get tired of it. A lot of films these days are one and done. Shame about the Coen's last couple of movies, though. They seem to be on a real downward spiral these days.

Win great prizes for pc, xbox, nintendo and psn in the 2015 EG Charity Raffle: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/289501

• CosmicFuzz 8 May 2014 06:56:41 25,676 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Lastly, watch Son of Rambow
    Oh yeah, that any good?

• mrpon 8 May 2014 07:02:54 29,587 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not seen it! I've heard it's pretty good, won awards etc.. Got it downloaded to watch.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• LeoliansBro 8 May 2014 07:09:27 44,965 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah it's great.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• CosmicFuzz 8 May 2014 07:10:19 25,676 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cool, added to 'the list'.

• Dougs 8 May 2014 07:32:32 69,542 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Son of Rambow is great. Was disappointed to see the BBC shunt it to 11.50pm on a Sunday night or whatever. It's better than that. Very sweet, typically British film.
  • jablonski 8 May 2014 07:44:43 4,958 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Never seen Son Of Rambow.

Modern British films have been so consistently shit, that I tend not to a chance on too many.
    Which means I'm sadly missing out on some gems no doubt
  • Dairyfree 8 May 2014 08:51:06 1,656 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit meh/10

Just meh, nothing more nothing less.
  • vijay_UK 8 May 2014 09:34:28 2,377 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Rambo First Blood 9/10

Ok, that was great.
    Try and watch Rambo III as well, underrated with a brilliant end scene/song.
  • Great-Googly-Moogly 8 May 2014 09:46:22 1,312 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    jablonski wrote:
    Never seen Son Of Rambow.

Modern British films have been so consistently shit, that I tend not to a chance on too many.
    Which means I'm sadly missing out on some gems no doubt
    You're missing out on a lot of good films :) British film good/bad ratio is probably no worse than any other really.

As for son of rambow, yeah liked it a lot. Found it fun to watch, sort of took me back to my own childhood where you just plan to do stuff with your mates and that takes over your life for weeks at a time.

PSN: Cloudsheaven
    NNID: Notnits_85
    Photography: www.joelstinton.wordpress.com
    Games: www.joelsgamereview.wordpress.com

• CosmicFuzz 8 May 2014 09:46:34 25,676 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jack Ryan is such a woeful film.

Planning on working through all the Rambos.

• vijay_UK 8 May 2014 09:56:09 2,377 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Chris Pine films work better when he's running full pelt, ideally with a running buddy with him.
  • Dairyfree 8 May 2014 10:15:41 1,656 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Should team up with Tom Cruise and have loads of shots of them running like mad men.
  • khaz 8 May 2014 10:29:29 2,826 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
  • CosmicFuzz 8 May 2014 10:43:11 25,676 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was told by a running instructor that the reason Tom Cruise always runs in his films is because he has absolutely perfect form. Apparently he completely nails the proper way to run and it looks good on film.

• Dairyfree 8 May 2014 10:44:23 1,656 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    He looks like he's desperate for a shit.
  • DrStrangelove 8 May 2014 16:36:29 4,676 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Watched The Passion again after ages. Jesus. If I were religious, I'd be pretty angry at how the story is abused for creating some cartoonish whacko splatter horror movie. Earlier in the movie, it was rather embarrassment, later I just laughed at how ludicrous it is.

It's a bad movie, but I'll give it 5/10 for comedic value. And for providing an insight into certain people's fucked up minds.
  • QotSAfan 8 May 2014 20:18:14 1,766 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jablonski wrote:
    QotSAfan wrote:

Read up on it on wiki afterwards to see what I was missing. It is brave but I couldn't connect to any of the characters so I think it wouldn't have affected me. I did manage to switch off before the car chase though. Annoyed about that, it is Friedkin after all!
  • Dairyfree 8 May 2014 21:24:50 1,656 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    The Big Lebowski - 8/10

First time I have ever seen it and I enjoyed it. Very funny, especially the scene with the ashes and good performances all round.

Surprised to see Tara Reid was in it even if it was a minor roll.
  • Page

of 2871 First / Last