Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2583

• Page

of 2801 First / Last

• Maturin 14 Apr 2014 15:51:31 3,098 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    There's also the bad-guy orc thing.
    Yes that needs to be resolved, though I didn't include it in my list as it's not in the book.
  • disusedgenius 14 Apr 2014 16:33:59 5,423 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    How long that stuff should take:

Smaug attack on Laketown -10 minutes
    Dwarfs taking control of mountain -2 minutes
    There's the changes of leadership in Laketown and recolonisation of Dale. -5 minutes
    The siege of the mountain by the people of Dale/Elves - negotiations over the gold hoard. -5 minutes
    Introduction of the Dwarf army from the north. -2 minutes
    Arrival of orcs. -2 minutes
    Alliance of men/dwarfs/elves against orcs in the big battle -20 minutes
    Aftermath of battle and Bilbo's journey home -3 minutes
    Also before the battle elsewhere the white council battle with Sauron over control of Dol Guldur -10 minutes
    bad-guy orc thing. -5 minutes
    Dwarf-Elf love thang -3 minutes

Just over an hour! Which -by massive coincidence- is how long the Battle of 5 Armies will take, alone.

Zzzzz!

I'll still go see it.
    A lot of that is extremely optimistic in terms of timing - a fair amount would need to be doubled from your estimates.

...which would then make something like 90-120 min... which is exactly how long most of the films should've been up to this point (imo). They all feel like already-bloated Extended Editions to me.
  • takosuke 15 Apr 2014 21:24:59 322 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Filth (2013)

Great cast. Some genuinely funny moments. There were at least 4 moments during the film I was sensing A Clock Work Orange vibe.

8.5/10
  • FortysixterUK 15 Apr 2014 21:31:04 391 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Captain America Winter Soldier.
    For what it was, a solid 10/10.

Far better that the odd choices made with Iron Man 2&3 and vastly superior to the turgid Thor 2. Natalie Portman virtually called her lines in. Plus the story was dull.
  • Steve_Perry 15 Apr 2014 21:48:07 4,554 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Matrix 2 is on telly. It's so shit.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Deleted user 15 April 2014 22:15:29
    There is a really annoying tendency for action movies now to be too busy at the climax, with too much going on.

the recent Captain America suffered from this as well, 3 simultaneous action threads all being edited together into one.

It seemed to start with the Phantom Menace, remember the finale to that (Jedi vs Maul/Drone army fight/princess escape/star ship battle).

Miss the 80s action flicks where you could focus on the one thing that actually happening.

One of the best thinsg about the original Star Wars was the awesome battle at the end and the way it was staged/paced, in a modern film there would be 6 other things going on at the same time.
  • CosmicFuzz 15 Apr 2014 22:18:40 24,870 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Muppets Most Wanted

Good stuff. I laughed a bunch of times, mainly at TV Burrell. Gervais completely phones it in, which I was surprised at seeing as he had input into the film (I think). Songs aren't as good as the first one, but the film in general isn't as good either.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• Deleted user 15 April 2014 22:19:28
    @poohcorner Oh well either way its fucking annoying.
  • ScootEvil 15 Apr 2014 22:33:28 211 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Noah.

Before the boat: Really quite enjoyed it, few niggly things that annoyed. Some inconsistent filming techniques that jarred. Oh and "The Creator", just grow some balls and call him God and get to fuck to whoever decided otherwise. 7.5/10

On the boat: very plodding pace, just dragged the film down and left me waiting for it to end. Could have done with being shorter, such a shame because I did like the first two thirds of the film. 4/10

Oh and whoever cast ray winstone: cockneycunt/10

Edited by ScootEvil at 22:38:26 15-04-2014
  • captainrentboy 15 Apr 2014 22:34:07 1,023 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's why the climax of The Raid 2 is so great. It's just Rama fighting some other awesome bastard in a kitchen for 8 solid minutes. No cutaways to any other shitty scene, just those two going at it....
    Now I want to watch it again.
  • butters_stotch 15 Apr 2014 22:36:48 50 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    @captainrentboy the raid 2...Best action film
  • jablonski 15 Apr 2014 22:38:21 4,379 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    poohcorner wrote:
    That's not a new thing. Return of the Jedi had a fair few things going on in its climax, for example. The shit going on on Endor, the space battle, and Luke fighting the Emperor and Vader.
    Lucas is ripping that off from Coppola, from the Climax of the Godfather.
  • Blotto 15 Apr 2014 22:45:53 2,776 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    the space battle?
  • BinaryBob101 15 Apr 2014 23:23:43 23,534 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Slow clap for telling us the climax to the Raid 2!

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• drhcnip 15 Apr 2014 23:26:38 2,534 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    vhs 2

really liked thei first one, liked this too/10

Edited by drhcnip at 23:26:59 15-04-2014
  • mattk84 15 Apr 2014 23:36:50 514 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Its not (quite) the climax! Other things happen after.

PSN ID IMrAndersonI

• jablonski 15 Apr 2014 23:58:08 4,379 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blotto wrote:
    the space battle?
    Yes, where they blow the vatican up through the pope-chimney
  • Steve_Perry 16 Apr 2014 09:29:05 4,554 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Matrix Reloaded:

Loads of horribly dated cgi followed by some sixth form philosophy on choice and then back to some more cgi, rinse and repeat. The bit where he is boning Trinity and everyone is doing a rave is awful, as is the first fight with all of the Smith's.

The truck chase is still the best thing in either of the sequels. Really good that.

6/10

VIVA STEFANSEN

• kalel 16 Apr 2014 09:38:37 88,419 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jablonski wrote:
    poohcorner wrote:
    That's not a new thing. Return of the Jedi had a fair few things going on in its climax, for example. The shit going on on Endor, the space battle, and Luke fighting the Emperor and Vader.
    Lucas is ripping that off from Coppola, from the Climax of the Godfather.
    Can't quite tell if you're parodying yourself here :)

I can see the parallel but I'd be surprised if that kind of sequence was first done in the Godfather. Even if it was, it's a pretty standard narrative technique since then, and while Coppola may claim credit for originating it, I don't think anyone else who uses it is "ripping him off".
  • HarryPalmer 16 Apr 2014 09:38:51 3,410 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ScootEvil wrote:
    Noah.

Before the boat: Really quite enjoyed it, few niggly things that annoyed. Some inconsistent filming techniques that jarred. Oh and "The Creator", just grow some balls and call him God and get to fuck to whoever decided otherwise. 7.5/10

On the boat: very plodding pace, just dragged the film down and left me waiting for it to end. Could have done with being shorter, such a shame because I did like the first two thirds of the film. 4/10

Oh and whoever cast ray winstone: cockneycunt/10
    The don't mention God to highlight the fact that it's all a big load of bollocks, much like the film itself. I think the film has balls, it's pretty brave, it's just boring as fuck.
  • Garrie_W1992 16 Apr 2014 09:45:12 44 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    The Desolation of Smaug.

In truth i rather liked this film but that's probably due to my love for the LOTR trilogy and owning all three extended editions; as a whole i feel it was solid but i did feel that some parts did seem a little overstretched.

The best part for me was the dragon; a very clever and intriguing character in my opinion and looked particularly cool when covered in gold. I recommend it to anyone it's at least worth a watch. Looking forward to the third and final film.

8/10
  • Rens11 16 Apr 2014 13:55:33 1,418 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cloud Atlas

Gorgeous film, Tom Hanks is brilliant as always and the soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard [link=Put_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXttp8_xSHQ_here] Can see it being a pretty divisive film but me and my partner both really enjoyed it

95/100

Edited by Rens11 at 13:58:05 16-04-2014

Edited by Rens11 at 13:58:28 16-04-2014

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Trowel 16 Apr 2014 13:58:08 17,908 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rens11 wrote:
    Cloud Atlas

Gorgeous film, Tom Hanks is brilliant as always and the soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXttp8_xSHQ[/youtube] Can see it being a pretty divisive film but me and my partner both really enjoyed it

95/100
    I liked the bit in the movie where absolutely nothing made sense.
  • chopsen 16 Apr 2014 14:01:01 16,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fuck me, I'm watching Cloud Atlas at this very second. Spooky!

Anyway: Homefront

statham/10
  • Rens11 16 Apr 2014 14:02:51 1,418 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Trowel

haha! I did say it was divisive, I can see how people could argue that all the stories are pointless but it's the way in which people shape the future, no matter how insignificant your life may seem, that's important I did however find some of the parts of the story unclear and the accents difficult to understand at times though

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Tom_Servo 16 Apr 2014 14:08:54 18,005 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ain't Them Bodies Saints - 7.0/10

Very slow, but good. Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara are an outlaw couple in the 1970s who are eventually caught in the Texas hills. In the process Mara shoots a cop but Affleck takes the blame. He escapes from prison four years later and sets out to be reunited with her and the daughter he's never met. A big ol' grand story of doomed romance.

The cinematography is amazing throughout, it constantly looks amazing. Casey Affleck should also be in pretty much everything, he's great.

Like I said, it's very slow (it's only 90 minutes but honestly feels about three hours long), and you'll have to be in the mood for it, but if you are then you'll find a pretty good film.
  • captainrentboy 16 Apr 2014 14:33:15 1,023 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Slow clap for telling us the climax to the Raid 2!
    Really, REALLY??!...
    I'm not sure if it's that I mentioned the utterly thrilling destination of a kitchen in my comment, or that I've now told everyone there's a big ole fight scene at the end of The Raid 2. (Shocking I know, as you'd have thought it would've finished with an explosive dance off)
    But if I have spoiled the end of the movie for anyone, I sincerely apologise. (To be fair, there's another 10 mins or so after that scene)
    Jeez, anyone would've thought I gave away Rama's death scene at the end or something. :/

Edited by captainrentboy at 14:34:54 16-04-2014
  • Page

of 2801 First / Last