Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2575

• Page

of 2766 First / Last

• Binny 9 Apr 2014 22:47:42 187 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rush - 9 - really impressive and I'm not an F1 fan.
    Life of Pi - 9 - stunning film, really breathtaking in parts. Excellent story too considering the situation.
    Captain Phillips - 9 - brilliant tension and extremely well shot. Love the end section.
    Prisoners - 8 - just went on a little too long but still very good. Impressed with Hugh Jackson and Jake.
  • jablonski 9 Apr 2014 22:48:34 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sounds like you are easily pleased :)
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Apr 2014 22:54:03 24,231 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Big Trouble in Little China

Finally got round to watching this. Excellent! Very silly, but lots of fun. Kurt Russell does a great John Wayne impression.

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• Binny 9 Apr 2014 22:54:30 187 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not really, just watched 4 very good films in row which doesn't happen often.
  • jablonski 9 Apr 2014 22:59:03 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Binny wrote:
    Not really, just watched 4 very good films in row which doesn't happen often.
    Prisoners was great (apart from the too neat finale), the rest I didn't care for
  • jablonski 9 Apr 2014 22:59:57 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Big Trouble in Little China

Finally got round to watching this. Excellent! Very silly, but lots of fun. Kurt Russell does a great John Wayne impression.
    In my top 20 for sure!
    Still my favourite Carpenter film - and that's saying something with The Thing and Escape From New York to choose from.
  • Binny 9 Apr 2014 23:19:05 187 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Completely agree about the Prisoners ending. Just really liked the other films because they were a little different and well produced.
  • butters_stotch 10 Apr 2014 04:05:27 50 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Snowpiecer - 9\10

Edited by butters_stotch at 04:05:45 10-04-2014
  • RyanDS 10 Apr 2014 08:23:20 9,353 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Henry V, the Brannagh version.

Probably the 10th time I have seen this and it blows me away every time. It really is the perfect adaption, exactly true to the source while also working as a film.

The "We happy few" speech as well is probably the best speech I have seen put on film. Every time I watch it I also notice more and more incredible actors, the film really is a who's who of legends.

This and Much Ado About nothing are my standard go to films if people ever say Shakespeare is boring and the language is difficult.

10/10
  • CharlieStCloud 10 Apr 2014 08:40:00 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz

I think very few people can deny that Big Trouble in Little China is the greatest film ... ever.

The rewatchablility value alone is ridiculously brilliant. Think I have seen the very film at least sixteen or seventeen times and I'd gladly watch it again tonight if I could! As much as I love Escape From New York, The Fog, Halloween and The Thing, it is Carpenter at his best when you see the crazy side of his imagination.

... on another note altogether, I am going to see The Raid 2 tomorrow evening! Looking forward to seeing all those bone shattering scenes very muchly.
  • HarryPalmer 10 Apr 2014 08:56:30 3,319 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Grey - 6/10

Alien with wolves. Liam Neeson is convincing as gruff/sad wolf sniper. Should have focused less on the wolves, more on the people. Dermot Mulroney underused, I didnt even know it was him until he took off his hat. First fifteen minutes are really, really great, less so thereafter.
  • Chopsen 10 Apr 2014 09:01:34 15,949 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Binny wrote:
    Life of Pi - 9 - stunning film, really breathtaking in parts. Excellent story too considering the situation.
    Captain Phillips - 9 - brilliant tension and extremely well shot. Love the end section.
    Prisoners - 8 - just went on a little too long but still very good. Impressed with Hugh Jackson and Jake.
    I'd actually rate Prisoners as the best of that bunch. Really enjoyed it, a plodding, growing tension and utterly bleak.

I was *very* underwhelmed by Rush, after everybody raved about it so.
  • Deckard1 10 Apr 2014 09:03:08 27,981 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah Prisoners was pretty great. Glynananhall is just dreamy
  • LeoliansBro 10 Apr 2014 09:19:48 44,162 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Henry V, the Brannagh version.
    Curiously, I went back to this and, while I could still see how powerful it was, I felt it was spoiled by Branagh's yodelling overacting and strange predator mouth.

Noble: We're going to die
    Other noble: There's lots of them.
    Brian Blessed: And we're all tired
    Ken: WHO'S HE THAT WISHES SOOOOOO!

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• kalel 10 Apr 2014 09:52:58 87,583 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    It's becoming my new favourite drum to bang, but I'm utterly bemused by the general reaction it. It was bordering on a made for TV film for me.
  • CosmicFuzz 10 Apr 2014 09:58:35 24,231 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really enjoyed Rush. Not a big fan of F1 in general but I found it really interesting. Would have been great to have watched it all back then.

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• Maturin 10 Apr 2014 10:09:15 2,992 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was really looking forward to Rush but I was a bit disappointed by it. I thought with Ron Howard involved it would have had a budget over that of a TV movie.

I liked the drama. But the race sequences were crap - varying between 30mph trying to look quick via editing and some shitty post production work.
  • kalel 10 Apr 2014 10:18:48 87,583 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The slightly cheap look aside, the acting was also very much TV quality from everyone apart from Daniel Brühl. The British bits are absolutely cringe-worthy. Those first few scenes almost had me turn it off.
  • nickthegun 10 Apr 2014 10:27:49 59,864 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hobbit Part 2:

I was in favour of what they did in the first one. I like the expanded lore and thought it worked quite well.

In this one... not so much. Everything had the arse dragged out of it almost purely to make the guy who finally kills smaug less of a faceless drone.

You could easily hack this down to 100 fairly lean minutes. We dont need Kate off lost, we dont need the bard family drama, we dont need stephen fry and really dont need a million shots of CGI orcs.

Trim the fat next time, ffs.

6/10

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Benno 10 Apr 2014 11:10:36 9,889 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Binny wrote:
    I'd actually rate Prisoners as the best of that bunch. Really enjoyed it, a plodding, growing tension and utterly bleak.

Prisoners was good wasn't it. Hugh Jackman overacted a bit perhaps.
  • Deckard1 10 Apr 2014 11:12:46 27,981 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think its the only film I've seen where I didn't the Jackman was shit in it.
  • Load_2.0 10 Apr 2014 11:29:25 19,252 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Hobbit Part 2:

I was in favour of what they did in the first one. I like the expanded lore and thought it worked quite well.

In this one... not so much. Everything had the arse dragged out of it almost purely to make the guy who finally kills smaug less of a faceless drone.

You could easily hack this down to 100 fairly lean minutes. We dont need Kate off lost, we dont need the bard family drama, we dont need stephen fry and really dont need a million shots of CGI orcs.

Trim the fat next time, ffs.

6/10
    Dragging this into three films was a massive error.
  • Blakester 10 Apr 2014 11:36:13 3,612 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For the love of god can someone tell me when the Lego Movie is out to buy?

It's the first question out of my little lad's mouth every morning. Even Siri is getting fed up of him asking :D

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• nickthegun 10 Apr 2014 11:39:48 59,864 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its still on at the cinema, so it might be a while.

• nickthegun 10 Apr 2014 11:40:49 59,864 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Dragging this into three films was a massive error.
    Three films may have been fine if they werent all three fucking hours long. Thats like six normal films.

• captbirdseye 10 Apr 2014 11:42:45 4,956 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blakester wrote:

It's the first question out of my little lad's mouth every morning. Even Siri is getting fed up of him asking :D
    1st week of May in the US if you fancy importing.
  • jablonski 10 Apr 2014 12:53:31 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Chopsen wrote:
    It's becoming my new favourite drum to bang, but I'm utterly bemused by the general reaction it. It was bordering on a made for TV film for me.
    I'm with you there.
    It was about the standard of a Crimewatch reconstruction.

The effects were fucking awful.
  • jablonski 10 Apr 2014 12:54:19 4,102 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    Chopsen wrote:
    Binny wrote:

Prisoners was good wasn't it. Hugh Jackman overacted a bit perhaps.
    I thought he was excellent in it.
    Great film.
  • mrpon 10 Apr 2014 13:24:03 28,893 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blakester wrote:

:) you never know, she might just start streaming it for him if keeps asking!

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• beastmaster 10 Apr 2014 13:26:47 11,408 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Blakester wrote:

:) you never know, she might just start streaming it for him if keeps asking!
    Time for another trip to the cinema?

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Page

of 2766 First / Last