Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2562

• Page

of 2770 First / Last

• Dougs 2 Apr 2014 08:10:35 67,741 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really liked the first Cap. Was a bit light on action but I thought was a pretty decent origin story. Liked the period as much as anything.

Thor 2 was OK for what it was. Not as good as the first, but still.
  • Gambit1977 2 Apr 2014 08:29:26 9,698 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The first cap was ideal Sunday matinee stuff. Easy to watch and fun.
  • Architect_z 2 Apr 2014 13:20:46 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think I missed something really important in the first captain america.

Ok so he became a massive dude, but then before I knew it, he had an awesome bike that could do loads of stuff? And the bad guys were doing some stuff. I watched in a couple of years ago, however I still (till this day) cannot tell you the story, plot, how the bad guy dies, why he has a red face, how captain america got his suit, or even his awesome bike?

I didn't enjoy it, maybe the DVD was a Ethopian copy or something with bits missed out?
  • khaz 2 Apr 2014 13:33:30 2,786 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The only bits that matter in the first film are him transforming, his scenes with Bucky and anything to do with the cube. The rest is all irrelevant in the context of the Marvel movie universe.

Edited by khaz at 13:33:57 02-04-2014
  • Architect_z 2 Apr 2014 15:32:29 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He's a pretty lame superhero anyway.
  • B0rked_Gamer 2 Apr 2014 16:43:11 2,704 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World - 10/10

This is one of my most favourite films. Beautifully played by by a stellar cast and intelligently directed as you would expect from Peter Weir.

The main plot of the film is just a background really because the real heart of the film is the relationship between Captain Jack Aubrey and Dr. Stephen Maturin. It's one of those films that I want to immediately rewatch and I've been listening to the soundtrack on and off pretty much all day and it's nice to watch a film that isn't bogged down by tedious romantic entanglements.
  • RedSparrows 2 Apr 2014 16:52:41 22,735 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Except theirs ;)

JOKE OKAY
  • B0rked_Gamer 2 Apr 2014 16:55:12 2,704 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Their relationship is, like, totally hetero. :lol:.
  • gamingdave 2 Apr 2014 18:19:50 4,235 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sin City Extended Cut - 9/10

It's Sin City, just with an extra 20 minutes and the four stories shown completely on their own. Looks utterly stunning on BR and sounds great too.

Smokin' Aces - 6/10

Some good action and has it's moments, but the story was overly muddled especially at the start. I may have been a bit drunk which probably didn't help with the story, but probably helped gloss over it too. Nicely shot with some good performances and worthy of a late night watch but certainly not a classic.

Serenity - hmm/10

Maybe I should have watched Firefly, first but I really didn't see where all the gushing for this comes from. It felt very much like a TV movie with some hammy acting. The plot was disjointed as if filmed for advert breaks.

I did enjoy it, it was humorous at times and some of the action was great. The effects were a mixed bag, some have held up well but during the opening scenes it was like watching a game intro.

I'm going to get Firefly and give it a try as so many people seem to rate it, I will then give this one another go, but first impressions were very underwhelming.
  • DanB24 2 Apr 2014 18:25:03 1,996 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You really really do need to have seen the series 1st.
  • khaz 2 Apr 2014 18:48:02 2,786 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, Serenity is basically the conclusion to Firefly that somehow got a full theatrical release.
  • takosuke 2 Apr 2014 21:47:47 242 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The Cabin in the Woods

Went into this not expecting too much, but at least expected something. Needless to say, I felt disappointed.

Big Brother with zombies in the garden. Out of 5, 2 survive and proceed to break out beyond the confines of the set, and into the studio itself.

24/100
  • CosmicFuzz 2 Apr 2014 21:55:37 24,360 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Personally I don't understand how you could not find anything of merit in Cabin in the Woods. I think it's a really great subversion of the horror genre. I loved it.

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• Furtive_Pygmy 2 Apr 2014 22:01:21 951 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @CosmicFuzz

Conversely, I don't understand how people find it to be merit worthy.

To each his own.
  • Dougs 2 Apr 2014 22:01:54 67,741 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One of my favourite films of the last few years imo. Loved it.
  • mrpon 2 Apr 2014 22:10:15 28,921 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Furtive_Pygmy wrote:
    @CosmicFuzz

Conversely, I don't understand how people find it to be merit worthy.

To each his own.
    People that get it, perhaps?

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Deckard1 2 Apr 2014 22:12:45 27,995 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not as big a fan as some, but yeah it's pretty clear he didn't get it.
  • Gambit1977 2 Apr 2014 22:21:39 9,698 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ooh he didn't 'get' it. :D

as for Serenity, shut your damned whore dirty mouth!
  • vijay_UK 2 Apr 2014 22:35:05 2,150 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @gamingdave

I did the same as you, and Serenity made no sense initially. Watch Firefly first and it all falls into place.

Mega.
  • Bremenacht 2 Apr 2014 23:13:51 18,275 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I saw the film first and quite enjoyed it. Had to watch it a second time to understand what was going on. Watching the TV series filled the gap on why it was going on.
  • bad09 3 Apr 2014 10:17:08 5,903 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Personally I don't understand how you could not find anything of merit in Cabin in the Woods. I think it's a really great subversion of the horror genre. I loved it.
    To be fair it is an awful film. Whether or not you get that's intentional doesn't matter :)

Personally I think it's a genius horror comedy but I can see how people don't like it.
  • nickthegun 3 Apr 2014 10:24:50 59,938 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really liked it. It was a *little* bit too in love with itself, but it was pretty cool.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Deckard1 3 Apr 2014 10:27:35 27,995 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Its not as clever as it thinks it is, and you can actually see it smelling its own farts towards the end, but yeah its pretty good. Very decent pay off at the end.
  • nickthegun 3 Apr 2014 10:27:47 59,938 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anchorman 2:

Fuck me, this goes on. Trim 30 minutes from it and youve got a tight, funny movie. As it is, the really good bits get lost among drawn out scenes that are actually quite boring.

7/10

• Load_2.0 3 Apr 2014 10:29:15 19,281 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:

Serenity - hmm/10

Maybe I should have watched Firefly, first but I really didn't see where all the gushing for this comes from. It felt very much like a TV movie with some hammy acting. The plot was disjointed as if filmed for advert breaks.

I did enjoy it, it was humorous at times and some of the action was great. The effects were a mixed bag, some have held up well but during the opening scenes it was like watching a game intro.

I'm going to get Firefly and give it a try as so many people seem to rate it, I will then give this one another go, but first impressions were very underwhelming.
    No need, you are spot on!
  • nickthegun 3 Apr 2014 10:31:07 59,938 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I enjoyed it more than the hugely overrated series mainly because it allowed itself to be a sci-fi and didnt repeatedly shove DID YOU KNOW THIS IS A WESTERN?!? in your face.

• gamingdave 3 Apr 2014 10:31:27 4,235 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I will definitely give Firefly a watch at some point and then rewatch Serenity. I know there is a lot of love for it here.

I thought Cabin in the Woods was great. A refreshing take on the teen horror genre that really did something different.
  • LeoliansBro 3 Apr 2014 10:33:04 44,246 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On Cabin in the Woods, If it didn't have Bradley Whitford in it I suspect I would have knee-jerk hated it.

I really don't like 'and then they all died' endings as well, takes a 'weird shit happening in our world' plotline and leaves it in another world entirely. See also Terminator 3.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 10:34:21 03-04-2014

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Tom_Servo 3 Apr 2014 10:36:29 17,962 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cabin in the Woods aside I don't get why people love Whedon so much. Really don't get it.
  • Deckard1 3 Apr 2014 10:36:49 27,995 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I enjoyed Serenity having not seen Firefly. I've tried to watch Firefly a few times but couldn't be arsed with it. I don't know how much that was to do with me imagining a fat neck beard sitting on my shoulder whispering "yeah isn't it great isn't it great isn't it great" every time I turned it on.
  • Page

of 2770 First / Last