Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2557

• Page

of 2774 First / Last

• Kay 31 Mar 2014 10:37:22 17,905 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Still need to get round to watching Cars 2, curious to see if it's as bad as some seem to think. I thought the first one was decent, though still clearly nowhere near the level of Pixar's best.
  • Dougs 31 Mar 2014 10:37:54 68,061 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

I love Insomnia. Keep meaning to get around to watching the original.
    Didn't know there was an original! Will check that out at some point.
  • CosmicFuzz 31 Mar 2014 10:47:32 24,584 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

I love Insomnia. Keep meaning to get around to watching the original.
    Didn't know there was an original! Will check that out at some point.
    Yeah, it's a Norwegian one. Stellan Skarsgård is in it.

It's horror month over at SoundOnSight. Remember Condemned: Criminal Origins? Read my lookback!

• Dougs 31 Mar 2014 10:52:16 68,061 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Quite annoyed I watched the remake first, I try and make a (snobby) point of watching originals first!
  • Deckard1 31 Mar 2014 10:55:08 28,262 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Its nothing to lose sleep over to be honest Dougs
  • Dougs 31 Mar 2014 10:55:38 68,061 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Arf
  • CosmicFuzz 31 Mar 2014 11:17:41 24,584 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D

It's horror month over at SoundOnSight. Remember Condemned: Criminal Origins? Read my lookback!

• oceanmotion 31 Mar 2014 11:20:49 15,976 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Dark Knight

Watching this again and I think this is now almost as bad as Dark Knight Rises. The little things that happen make no sense, the scenes jump from one to the next with no logic. Joker and set pieces barely hold it together, the weak storytelling shines through now. Batman fighting is still pretty awful, Begins did this better, Rises was the worst ever. Happy 75th Birthday Batman!
  • khaz 31 Mar 2014 11:24:41 2,790 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote: Batman fighting is still pretty awful, Begins did this better, Rises was the worst ever.
    ಠ_ಠ
  • CosmicFuzz 31 Mar 2014 11:26:38 24,584 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah the fighting in Begins I thought was the worst of the three.

I love the fight between Bane and Batman on the steps at the end of Rises.

• Sharzam 31 Mar 2014 11:30:24 2,941 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Winter's Bone

The film is a bit of a mixed one, it felt like they wanted to make some deep meaning movie. But they forgot the meaning so ended up with something that didn't really do anything. It had atmosphere and the acting was good enough but didn't have enough 'stuff'. Also some scenes were also on just for the hell of it, for example being beat up.

In summary, if the idea of a young woman looking after her family and trying to find her father in a deprived back water of America does it for you, then you might get something from it. Otherwise isn't really worth the time, as it is not bad just doesn't do anything. The acting and script were decent enough so added a couple on.

7/10

Avaliable on Netflix.

Edited by Sharzam at 11:35:58 31-03-2014

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• LeoliansBro 31 Mar 2014 11:31:03 44,420 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Begins has Batman the Ambush Predator. The fight in the Arkham basement is pretty much a perfect translation of his comic fighting style: elusive, fast, picking off his targets one by one.

Compare to the next two films, where he stands in brightly lit rooms / carparks / cocktail parties / rooftops / fucking daylight, statically throwing telegraphed haymakers while rooted to the spot.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 31 Mar 2014 11:31:17 60,159 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• chopsen 31 Mar 2014 11:36:17 16,093 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did the bloke on the left just slip on some ice or something?
  • LeoliansBro 31 Mar 2014 11:37:28 44,420 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And then Nolan looked at the rushes and went 'that's the one!'?

• Alastair 31 Mar 2014 11:38:36 15,889 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    First glance at that gif didn't look too bad. On repeated viewings Batman seems to move more and more slowly.
  • sega 31 Mar 2014 11:39:25 890 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    The Dark Knight

Watching this again and I think this is now almost as bad as Dark Knight Rises. The little things that happen make no sense, the scenes jump from one to the next with no logic. Joker and set pieces barely hold it together, the weak storytelling shines through now. Batman fighting is still pretty awful, Begins did this better, Rises was the worst ever. Happy 75th Birthday Batman!
    I'm not sure what to think of this. I've never had a problem with The Dark Knight and all the events seem to be result of the Joker's actions to me. Been a while since I've seen it now though.

Dark Knight Rises, yes, absolutely. I've never left a film so disappointed. It really is one of those films where you're constantly thinking "why don't they just do this?", "isn't that a waste of time?", "well, now you've just fucked yourselves".

I think Rises is more on par with the Schumacher films. At least they were so bad you could get some enjoyment out of them.
  • Alastair 31 Mar 2014 11:43:02 15,889 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Also, Cars is OK, but not great. It's the usual cliched shit about love of your friends being more important than winning.
    Plus there seems to be a lot of emphasis put on the massive revelation of learning to drift around a corner. Which somehow annoys me more than it should.

My boy got a copy of Planes for his birthday and I refused to watch it with him - he loved it!!
  • captbirdseye 31 Mar 2014 11:43:25 5,033 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I might be wrong but didn't Bale do the fight scenes for the last two rather then a stunt double which they used for the first one?
  • LeoliansBro 31 Mar 2014 11:44:39 44,420 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wouldn't surprise me, would explain the abrupt shift from acrobatic to pedestrian.

• Alastair 31 Mar 2014 11:45:00 15,889 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Even Audley Harrison could have dodged those punches.
  • khaz 31 Mar 2014 11:52:47 2,790 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    All the fights in all three films are mediocre at best. My gripe is the fucking awful camera work for all of them which makes it even worse.
  • Mr_Sleep 31 Mar 2014 11:53:47 17,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Also, Cars is OK, but not great. It's the usual cliched shit about love of your friends being more important than winning.
    I fucking hate this shit, it seems to be in every film now. I was watching Whip It the other night and it's the exact same fucking story. Somebody just go on a life affirming journey and win the fucking thing already!

You are a factory of sadness.

• nickthegun 31 Mar 2014 11:55:20 60,159 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    The power of the kick to the other guy created such thunderous air pressure, it knocked him off his feet without touching him.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Mola_Ram 31 Mar 2014 11:56:42 7,447 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Alastair wrote:
    I fucking hate this shit, it seems to be in every film now. I was watching Whip It the other night and it's the exact same fucking story. Somebody just go on a life affirming journey and win the fucking thing already!
    Of course he basically wins anyway after finding love or whatever. I'm sure all those other cars that didn't win were just filled with hatred or something.

And of course believing in yourself is way more important than actual hard work and dedication and everything.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 11:58:03 31-03-2014
  • LeoliansBro 31 Mar 2014 11:57:32 44,420 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I still think Begins is a cut above:

Ninja shit, which emphasises stealth / distraction.
    Slightly shit dockyard attack where he starts well but ends up like the landlord in Shaun of the Dead being surrounded and hit.
    Very nicely done fight in the basement, including the escape (less so the car chase).
    Excellent non-fight with ninjas in the Narrows - over before it begins.
    One on one with Liam Neeson.

None of these are stand up fights against multiple opponents, because that's not what he does, and he would lose.

• khaz 31 Mar 2014 12:00:56 2,790 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I still think Begins is a cut above:

Ninja shit, which emphasises stealth / distraction.
    Slightly shit dockyard attack where he starts well but ends up like the landlord in Shaun of the Dead being surrounded and hit.
    Very nicely done fight in the basement, including the escape (less so the car chase).
    Excellent non-fight with ninjas in the Narrows - over before it begins.
    One on one with Liam Neeson.

None of these are stand up fights against multiple opponents, because that's not what he does, and he would lose.
    Begins had the worst camerawork! Those were all awful fights. The only half decent scenes were the training sequences; the one on the ice and the magic hoodoo glowy eyes graduation sequence.
  • Mr_Sleep 31 Mar 2014 12:03:25 17,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    And of course believing in yourself is way more important than actual hard work and dedication and everything.
    Well that's the thing, believing in yourself will only get yourself so far, actually putting in some training and doing more than one montage and you might actually win it instead of coming in second! Rocky proved that in order to win you have to have as many montages as possible.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Physically_Insane 31 Mar 2014 12:06:57 8,933 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Chopsen wrote:
    The power of the kick to the other guy created such thunderous air pressure, it knocked him off his feet without touching him.
    I can't watch the gif now without imagining a thunder-like sound effect as he kicks.
  • Mola_Ram 31 Mar 2014 12:07:26 7,447 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Well that's the thing, believing in yourself will only get yourself so far, actually putting in some training and doing more than one montage and you might actually win it instead of coming in second! Rocky proved that in order to win you have to have as many montages as possible.
    Yeah, but the guy in Cars seems to be awesome by default. Never mind all the other cars who actually have to work their way to the top.

Interesting that you mention Rocky. The thing that I loved about the first movie was that he *didn't* win at the end. Same goes for a handful of other underdog movies. Say, Cool Runnings. (although that was a true story, so doesn't really count)
  • Page

of 2774 First / Last