Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2554

• Page

of 2753 First / Last

• beastmaster 28 Mar 2014 20:01:30 11,338 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier (3D IMAX) - 8.5/10

A most unexpected pleasure. Marvel have taken The Avengers most boring character and have crafted what is arguable their finest film.

They've surrounded Cap with a bunch of excellent support characters and built up an intriguing plot which they all play a part. The villain of the film, the said Winter Soldier is a suitably powerful adversary and played very well.

It's well acted and it's great to see Robert Redford kick back and have some fun. If you like a bit of Scarlett Johansson, well she's in it a lot too and not just as eye candy.

The action scenes are extremely well done and are fast, tense and exciting. There's not that many blockbusters recently that get this right. So what if you can destroy an entire city in spectacular fashion? That gets dull quickly if not done right. It's good to see close quarters action scenes for a change.

Two scenes within the credits. The one in the middle is very interesting. The one at the end of the film is rather predictable. However, Marvel have nailed it for this film. A thoroughly enjoyable watch.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Bremenacht 28 Mar 2014 20:17:46 17,852 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Most boring character?! He's probably the best, because he's the most strongly defined.
  • Dairyfree 28 Mar 2014 22:50:36 1,186 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Anchorman 2

Nowhere near as funny as the first although there were a few genuinely funny scenes. Way too long aswell, too many comedies lately overstay their welcome.

5/10
  • spindle9988 28 Mar 2014 23:28:09 3,530 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I watched Man of Steel a few weeks back for the first time since the cinema. After moaning for years about how I wanted to see Supes punch a man into the sun, I was given exactly what I asked for and couldn't have been more bored by it.

Watching him fight the CGI snake thing is awful, and when the final Zod battle kicks off I just wanted it to end!
    My mates at work loved man of steel. I fucking hated it, and I keep thinking. Have I missed something that they have seen?
  • MatMan562 29 Mar 2014 00:27:39 2,415 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Most boring character?! He's probably the best, because he's the most strongly defined.
    I think the problem he faces is having been in just one movie before The Avengers where there was somebody better than him in almost every way so it was only really his shield that sets him apart. Obviously it's his strategic thinking and what-not that's his most impressive attribute but that was boiled down to 2 scenes and about 20 seconds in the movie. He's probably one of the more interesting characters but in a series of superhero movies the main characters will be judged by most on their super powers and in that department Captain America is comparatively lacking. It seems that the latest movie helps with it all in some way at least though. I'm going to have to wait until next weekend to see it now though unfortunately!

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• FWB 29 Mar 2014 00:28:05 44,360 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ender's Game - 2/10. Clichéd, childish drivel.
  • Gambit1977 29 Mar 2014 00:28:58 9,583 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well Winter Soldier is a bit good. :-)
    the direction and soundtrack are spot on! And my god, Scarlett....

Edited by Gambit1977 at 00:29:39 29-03-2014
  • Dgzter 29 Mar 2014 01:19:33 150 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, probably going to get canned for this but fuck it im pished. Just watched:

47 Ronin - 8/10

Giving it a solid eight out of ten; I know it got fucking panned and there is undoubtedly a lot of less than adequate stuff going on here, but still I thoroughly enjoyed it. Well worth a watch after a few jars anyway...

Edited by Dgzter at 01:19:59 29-03-2014
  • Jeepers 29 Mar 2014 08:38:01 13,175 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Counselor: 2/10
    What a waste of time and money. 1 point for the cast and another for the standout performance from Ms Cruz's mascara.
  • Maturin 29 Mar 2014 09:57:01 2,961 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier (3D IMAX) - 8.5/10

A most unexpected pleasure. Marvel have taken The Avengers most boring character and have crafted what is arguable their finest film.

They've surrounded Cap with a bunch of excellent support characters and built up an intriguing plot which they all play a part. The villain of the film, the said Winter Soldier is a suitably powerful adversary and played very well.

It's well acted and it's great to see Robert Redford kick back and have some fun. If you like a bit of Scarlett Johansson, well she's in it a lot too and not just as eye candy.

The action scenes are extremely well done and are fast, tense and exciting. There's not that many blockbusters recently that get this right. So what if you can destroy an entire city in spectacular fashion? That gets dull quickly if not done right. It's good to see close quarters action scenes for a change.

Two scenes within the credits. The one in the middle is very interesting. The one at the end of the film is rather predictable. However, Marvel have nailed it for this film. A thoroughly enjoyable watch.
    Completely agree. I saw it yesterday. Really great film. Had quite a Bourne vibe at times. A great blend of character stuff and some big action. The only downside - as ever - was the trailer gave too much away about the ending.
  • Megapocalypse 29 Mar 2014 12:01:08 5,396 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lake Placid - 7/10

Inoffensive silly fun.

Edited by Megapocalypse at 12:01:22 29-03-2014

Edited by Megapocalypse at 12:01:32 29-03-2014
  • glaeken 29 Mar 2014 15:05:06 11,144 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    I enjoyed Outlander :D
    Me too. It's a nice silly Sci-Fi B movie and they don't make many of that type of film these days.
  • TechnoHippy 29 Mar 2014 20:50:18 14,711 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Escape Plan

I wanted to enjoy this, Arnie and Stallone together should have been a lot of fun to watch. The premise is ok, Stallone is an expert in breaking out of prisons, the intro which establishes the character is actually pretty good. From there he's tasked with breaking out of a secret prison. He then teams up with Arnie who's another prisoner and things go down hill from there, both for sly and the film.

That's not to say that it's completely terrible, it has it's moments. The interaction between the two leads is moderately amusing and the prison governor is good, although he's much better in Person of Interest. The prison set up is also well done. I guess that's the biggest disappointment, the components are there but it doesn't push to make anything with them. It drags on for a while and the ending is a bit predictable.

Vinnie Jones continues with his everlasting role as a thug, although he doesn't look quite as menacing in tight black armour. Still, all in all it manages to be ok, I was mildly entertained, but it could have been a hell of a lot better.

5/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• beastmaster 29 Mar 2014 21:33:23 11,338 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Escape Plan - 4/10

Just watched this again. Pretty much everything TechnoHippy said. I enjoyed it a lot more first time I watched it at the cinema. I don't think I'll watch it again.

• Gambit1977 29 Mar 2014 23:43:31 9,583 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    All these reviews of Escape Plan make me want to find that old Ray Liotta sci if No Escape. Anyone remember it? Was fun in a dtv type of way.
  • Dougs 30 Mar 2014 08:17:37 67,299 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dairyfree wrote:
    Anchorman 2

Nowhere near as funny as the first although there were a few genuinely funny scenes. Way too long aswell, too many comedies lately overstay their welcome.

5/10
    6.5/10 for me. It made me chuckle quite a lot, but felt a bit forced at times (the celeb fight at the end for example, didn't have the same impact 2nd time around) and was definitely 20 mins too long, but still worth a watch imo. If you liked the first, you'll like this imo.
  • Mola_Ram 30 Mar 2014 09:08:35 7,264 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Omfg, the sequel to The Raid is out. It's not a review yet, but

/preemptive 10/10
  • fletch7100 30 Mar 2014 09:16:56 7,242 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    May have to check this part again in new Captain America film

when you see his list of things to watch/hear/do list. I'm sure One part of the notebook says Rocky I/II/? Nice little touch there
  • twelveways 30 Mar 2014 09:30:27 3,978 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DO you think it is necessary to watch the first Cap. Am. movie before this one? I didn't watch the first due to having no interest in the character but I have heard a lot of good things about the new one.
  • Gambit1977 30 Mar 2014 09:36:55 9,583 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For continuity purposes I'd say yes, otherwise some things will be like, oh, ok, rather than oooooh.
  • Gambit1977 30 Mar 2014 09:38:35 9,583 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was disappointed they replaced Powers Boothe from the avengers with fucking jim Robinson mind! Fucking jim Robinson, the dial a tv bad guy (ok, so's boothe but at least hes imposing).
  • beastmaster 30 Mar 2014 09:39:07 11,338 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    All these reviews of Escape Plan make me want to find that old Ray Liotta sci if No Escape. Anyone remember it? Was fun in a dtv type of way.
    Yeah. Although I don't remember it being that good. His next film was Goldeneye and I was really surprised that he got chosen for it after that.

Who knew, eh?

• CharlieStCloud 30 Mar 2014 09:40:48 5,202 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Mola_Ram

You got my hopes up there as I shall be going to the cinema later this afternoon to see The Muppets.

... it is part of Cineworld and their 'Unlimited' holders only for the first week?!

: (

I remember watch Dredd and The Raid back-to-back last summer; so much awesomeness in a little over three hours.

Yes, I know Mr. Mola Ram, you were not particular fond of Dredd ... boo-hoo.
  • Mola_Ram 30 Mar 2014 09:44:22 7,264 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud Dredd was alright. I just didn't think it was the wall-to-wall awesomeness that a lot of people on here seemed to think it was. But then I've never read the comics, so maybe it just wasn't for me.

Anyway, the raid was better. ;p
  • beastmaster 30 Mar 2014 09:46:09 11,338 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    DO you think it is necessary to watch the first Cap. Am. movie before this one? I didn't watch the first due to having no interest in the character but I have heard a lot of good things about the new one.
    The first one isn't that bad. I would certainly watch it before seeing the new one.

• Madder-Max 30 Mar 2014 10:59:06 11,641 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Purge 8/10

Solid home invasion movie. The annual purge thing is just scene setting as the film is more of a commentary on the gulf between rich and poor and the prejudice this creates in lazy minds.

The Great Raid 6/10

Half hour too long but the action bits are well done. Thingy from Spiderman was average and predictably monotone in his performance.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• sega 30 Mar 2014 11:38:48 809 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    @CharlieStCloud Dredd was alright. I just didn't think it was the wall-to-wall awesomeness that a lot of people on here seemed to think it was. But then I've never read the comics, so maybe it just wasn't for me.

Anyway, the raid was better. ;p
    I think I preferred Dredd to The Raid, but only just. I've never read the comics either (everything I know comes from the awful Stallone movie), but I liked it for being a gritty adult sci fi that gets straight to the point. No time wasted on introduction or explaining the world, just a day in the life of a cool character.
  • DiddlerDo 30 Mar 2014 12:14:55 1,528 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Tried to watch Oh Brother Where art Thou again last night. Got a good hour and a bit into it this time before dying of boredom, which was progress.
  • TechnoHippy 30 Mar 2014 12:28:13 14,711 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DiddlerDo

I love that film, I'm a big fan of the soundtrack as well.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Dougs 30 Mar 2014 13:30:28 67,299 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Me too, it's a fantastic film imo. Love the  bluegrass too.
  • Page

of 2753 First / Last