Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2549

• Page

of 2863 First / Last

• CosmicFuzz 24 Mar 2014 16:25:36 25,637 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, liked that one. Loved the bit at the start when he asks the woman working the cinema box office if the film has started yet. She tells him it's two minutes into the film and he refuses to go and watch it. I think I'm exactly the same!

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Maturin 24 Mar 2014 16:47:36 3,231 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    Dunno what they were smoking with that theatrical cut.
    It was Fox trying to get more showings into a cinema day. The extras on the extended version go into a lot of detail with some very angry input from those that made the film.

The Director's Cut is THE cut of the film. The one given to Fox originally. And Fox had it butchered.

There are whole subplots that fully explain character motivation that are removed from the theatrical cut. Sybilla is particularly damaged by this - as a character she is related to that is very important is removed from the theatrical cut. Her actions make much more sense once that character is back in the film.

Also there's much more detail about Orlando Bloom's character removed too - such as his war experience, relationship to the priest in his village etc. Again this is a character that makes much more sense in the longer cut.

Believe me the difference between the proper cut of Kingdom of Heaven and the crap shown at the cinema is night and day. It's a film worthy of awards that was ruined by the studio and so it received none, and the film still has a bad reputation it doesn't deserve.
  • Khanivor 24 Mar 2014 17:36:57 41,262 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If the director's cut has all shots of Bloom removed I could see how it would become a decent film.
  • Deleted user 24 March 2014 17:48:41
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Speaking of middle class white people's problems, I watched Annie Hall for the first time last night. Really enjoyed it. Is the first Woody Allen film I've seen where he's actually in it (for some reason only seem to have seen some of his more recent stuff). Very funny in places, chuckled quite a few times at some of the lines he comes out with. Loved the subtitled-thoughts that popped up in one scene, on top of what they were saying to each other, and the fourth-wall breaking moments were well done.

Reminded me a little of Blue Jasmine, in that it focuses on various points of a person's life and their relationship to another. Will need to check out more of his backlog.
    It is my humble opinion that in purely objective terms, it's the best film ever made.

Stylistically and technically groundbreaking in pretty much every single scene, yet all holds together meaningfully and coherently. It never feels forced (it actually feels quite light), and it's touching and funny without ever feeling manipulative or sentimental. It's just fantastic.
  • TarickStonefire 24 Mar 2014 17:52:36 3,436 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    And Wes Anderson. "Oh noes, rich people problems".
    The Royal Tenenbaums is one of the finest things committed to film. I don't know what it is about that movie but I absolutely adore it.
    On the other hand, I could barely watch half of it. In fact I'm not even sure I got that far. Never watched a single one of his films since.

I kind of liked that one about high school politics that Bill Murray and Reese Witherspoon was in, but even that was a bit navel gazey.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Deleted user 24 March 2014 17:53:32
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    I kind of liked that one about high school politics that Bill Murray and Reese Witherspoon was in, but even that was a bit navel gazey.
    You appear to have merged Rushmore with Election in your head.
  • TarickStonefire 24 Mar 2014 17:55:10 3,436 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    You appear to have merged Rushmore with Election in your head.
    Oh. That's quite likely.

Yeah both sound familiar. I liked the Reese Witherspoon one, is that Election? Is that even the same director?

Rushmore, yeah I think I remember now. Yeah that was a bit boring.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Deleted user 24 March 2014 17:56:52
    No, Election is Alexander Payne, who also does navel-gazey films about white middle class people. Sideways etc.
  • Tom_Servo 24 Mar 2014 17:58:03 18,082 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rushmore's the one with Jason Schwartzmann as the teenager who falls for one of the teachers at his school. Bill Murray's the wealthy businessman friend he has.
  • Deleted user 24 March 2014 17:58:15
    As for Wes Anderson I like Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums, but nothing else really worked for me (although I think Fantastic Mr Fox is actually pretty cool).

I hated the Darjeeling Limited. Proper hated.
  • chopsen 24 Mar 2014 18:01:50 16,290 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wes Anderson hasn't done anything good since Nightmare on Elm Street.
  • Tom_Servo 24 Mar 2014 18:07:56 18,082 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    1) Moonrise Kingdom
    2) The Fantastic Mr. Fox
    3) The Grand Budapest Hotel
    4) The Royal Tenenbaums
    5) Rushmore
    6) The Darjeeling Limited
    7) The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Haven't seen Bottle Rocket, cheers

There's a bit of a gap between Rushmore and Darjeeling, and Life Aquatic was the only one I didn't really get much enjoyment from.
  • RichieTenenbaum 24 Mar 2014 19:21:04 2,228 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I love Rushmore and Royal so much. I think both have an edge that his other films don't. I proper love Wes Anderson, but I found GBH quite grating. It just seemed so far away from the mournful lonely tone of Royal and Rushmore

My order.

Rushmore
    The Royal Tenenbaums
    The Fantastic Mr Fox
    The Darjeeling Limited
    Moonrise Kingdom
    Bottle Rocket
    The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
    The Grand Budapest Hotel

Although it's ages since I saw Zissou and I might find it less irritating now.
  • RichieTenenbaum 24 Mar 2014 19:27:40 2,228 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Maybe if they didn't do it in every fucking film, it wouldn't be so easy to score points...
    Bottle Rocket, Fantastic Mr Fox (to a degree) and Bottle Rocket are all films about people who are poor/not-well-off trying to cope.
  • RichieTenenbaum 24 Mar 2014 19:31:25 2,228 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TRIPLE POST:

Also: Annie Hall is absolutely phenomenal. I love that film.
  • Bremenacht 24 Mar 2014 19:36:54 19,663 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Today, the EG film thread has taught me that Wes Anderson films are rubbish, as are Nic Cage films.

More advice to be ignored.
  • prawnking1980 24 Mar 2014 19:38:18 5,203 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I like the life aquatic
  • CosmicFuzz 24 Mar 2014 20:19:51 25,637 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love Life Aquatic and Royal, absolutely hated hated hated Darjeeling. Didn't really like Fox. Enjoyed Moonrise Kingdom quite a bit though. Not seen Rushmore, but it's in my Netflix list.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• RedSparrows 24 Mar 2014 20:23:44 24,248 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like Wes Anderson films. End of post.
  • Dairyfree 24 Mar 2014 22:17:35 1,644 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    The Hunger Games 2

Better than the first and sets it up nicely for the next film. PSH seemed to have an important role, had he already filmed his scenes? If not than that's an obvious problem.

I'm a little in love with Jennifer Lawrence.

8/10

Edited by Dairyfree at 22:17:51 24-03-2014
  • khaz 25 Mar 2014 05:07:12 2,826 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jennifer Lawrence is something special. I still can't believe her performance in American Hustle. I don't know how a 23 year old played that role like that but damn.

Charismatic is a rare quality but she has it.
  • Mola_Ram 25 Mar 2014 05:14:27 8,289 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    So the directors cut is the version to watch then?
    Yes. The original cut is fine as well, if you mute the first couple of minutes or so.
  • JoeBlade 25 Mar 2014 07:46:06 2,643 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    If charismatic is synonym for "has particularely shapely womenly parts" then yes, you're spot on.
  • khaz 25 Mar 2014 08:20:07 2,826 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    While her shapely womanly parts are stonkingly awesome she's the "real deal" as the Americans like to say. I really, really rate her. Amy Adams too.
  • Gambit1977 25 Mar 2014 08:24:57 10,384 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You could see she was something special in Winters Bone. Similar to a certain booby lady in Martha marcy marlene
  • Deleted user 25 March 2014 08:44:04
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    Blakester wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Maybe if they didn't do it in every fucking film, it wouldn't be so easy to score points...
    Bottle Rocket, Fantastic Mr Fox (to a degree) and Bottle Rocket are all films about people who are poor/not-well-off trying to cope.
    And Bottle Rocket.
  • CosmicFuzz 25 Mar 2014 09:02:15 25,637 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    Jennifer Lawrence is something special. I still can't believe her performance in American Hustle. I don't know how a 23 year old played that role like that but damn.

I couldn't believe she was 23. Read it after seeing American Hustle, and it really just solidified how impressive she is as an actress.

• Dairyfree 25 Mar 2014 09:22:38 1,644 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    She was shit in First Class which was the first film I saw her in. Been impressed with her since, especially American Hustle.
  • Page

of 2863 First / Last