Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2527

• Page

of 2770 First / Last

• Youthist 16 Mar 2014 20:08:06 10,018 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wait, what game are we talking about that he is writing for?

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Dirtbox 16 Mar 2014 20:10:33 78,209 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Fozzie_bear 16 Mar 2014 20:15:29 15,530 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I thought that was a joke. Christ.

Does anyone else there know how to use full stops, I hope they can use full stops, I like commas and everything, but sometimes I like to see a full stop.

Videogame stories are universally terrible. This could explain a lot.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Chopsen 16 Mar 2014 20:15:59 15,999 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Elite: Dangerous. A Space game based in Space.
  • Dirtbox 16 Mar 2014 20:21:21 78,209 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I feel bad now, he's a nice bloke and doesn't deserve shit.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Youthist 16 Mar 2014 20:22:02 10,018 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• TechnoHippy 16 Mar 2014 20:22:49 14,715 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow, a lot of angst over a few thoughts on a film posted on a forum, hardly my greatest writing :-) If you want to see my writing then pick up one of my books, naturally it still won't be good enough, but that's ok.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• TechnoHippy 16 Mar 2014 20:37:40 14,715 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And because I'm a glutton for punishment my thoughts on Ender's Game:

The book is considered as a classic by many sci-fi fans, I enjoyed reading it too many years ago. I'll get the fact that this isn't a great adaptation of the book out of the way here at the beginning, it lacks the subtlety of the book and reveals too much too quickly. That being said the film is a fun watch in its own right, although not a classic.

The story concerns a failed alien invasion in the near future, the newly formed international command expects the aliens to return at any time so set up a program to gather the finest young minds and make them ready for the coming battle. Ender is one of the children in the program and is expected to become the one to lead the fleet against the alien and most of the film is about his preparation for the war.

There's a couple of big names in the film, namely Harrison Ford as the commander of the program and Ben Kingsley who comes in nearer the end. They're not stand out roles for either of them, although they get the job done. The same can be said for the rest of the cast, it's all ok, but nothing special.

The film does have its moments though, the zero G laser tag training looks like a lot of fun, I'd pay good money to give that a try. Ender's progression also provides some interest, although it's all a bit superficial. All in all it's a fun watch, but not very memorable.

6/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Rodney 16 Mar 2014 21:36:07 1,897 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Django Unchained.
    It felt a bit inconsistent in tone at times because it had ridiculously over the top stylized, almost comical, violence against the white slave owners but when it came to depicting violence against the slaves it was, while still brutal, more restrained and sober.

I thought it actually did a great job respecting the subject matter and portraying the fact that slaves were literally treated like property. It just made some of Tarantino's little stylistic flares and film references a little jarring and self indulgent (even though I got the impression he dialled it down a bit).

Having said all that, the blacksploitation style western theme was brilliantly entertaining, it had some tense scenes, Dicaprio was menacingly charasmatic, I loved the music and I had a massive grin on my face at the end.
    9/10
  • cheeky_prawnking 16 Mar 2014 21:43:34 4,583 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bad Grandpa

Never really watched jackass so in no position to compare to those or how the character is in those series / films.

On its own merits guess a flimsy story around sketches, but absolutely hilarious. I had years rolling down my face at the site of the episodes.

One of the funniest films I have seen in years.

9/10
  • Rodney 16 Mar 2014 21:44:56 1,897 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Alien 3 (I can't do the little 3)
    Sorry to bring it up again. All the talk of it last week made me wanna see it again.
    I like it. Its a good conclusion to Ripley's storyline and it has some interesting well drawn out characters of its own. I love the bleak atmosphere and visual design too. It has some great gibbs.

It isn't really very scary or tense and I think it shows too much of the Alien. Seeing it run around like a dog totally ruins it. The one scene where Ripley is looking for it and you can part of it id behind her but out of focus is the only genuinely tense moment.

The final third is a confused mess.
    7/10
  • sega 16 Mar 2014 21:52:56 866 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well that's quicker than usual. So, Prometheus...
  • skiplevels 16 Mar 2014 22:16:57 495 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    under the skin

what the fuck did I just watch/10
  • sega 16 Mar 2014 22:38:40 866 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You watched Under The Skin.
  • beastmaster 16 Mar 2014 22:57:58 11,418 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    skiplevels wrote:
    under the skin

what the fuck did I just watch/10
    I loved it! It doesn't make much sense if you've not read the book. Even then, they changed a lot.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Dante_Cubit 16 Mar 2014 22:58:11 1,926 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Under the Skin 8/10. Beautifully shot with a terrific score. Very reminiscent of 70s Cronenberg.
  • FogHeart 17 Mar 2014 00:26:55 946 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    300 Rise of an Empire

We didn't expect a sequel - quite some time since the first film - but we have one and it's not a terrible thing to happen. Where the first one is more about spectacle, with a procession of phantasmagoria and battle set pieces leading us through the film, this one allows you to get your slow-fast camera battle fix out of the way quickly and attempts to settle down to a more interesting story. First surprise: the Spartans take a back seat throughout the film - events run in parallel with the 300 defending the Hot Gates. Instead it's the story of Xerxes's naval fleet commander, Artemisia facing off against Greek Champion Themistocles.

Artemisia, played by everyone's favourite beauty/miseryguts Eva Green is enslaved by her hatred of all Greeks, despite being born Greek, due to some rather unfortunate rape and pillage she suffered as a child, and leads swarthy and useless generals and thousands of slaves, while Themistocles is motivated by his dream of all men living free under democracy (quiet at the back). For his part he leads those potters, poets and farmers that Leonidas held such scorn for in 300. And of course they are heavily outnumbered but still give a rather good account of themselves.

To some extent it suffers from the law of diminishing returns. All the tropes of the last film are present and correct: washed out colours, overdone bloom in the sky, throaty rousing exhortations answered by loud cheers of approval from more soldiers than could be within earshot, blades that are sharper than lightsabers. It has some...shall we say recurring themes from the first film, father fighting alongside son, and an ounce of guile proving better than a hundredweight of strength. But its execution, mostly a naval affair, is different enough to stop the film being a complete rehash of its predecessor. It's watchable, but not spellbinding. Engaging, but not enthralling.

Except for a sex scene that you can't quite call embarrassing, or hilarious, or...er, sexy. All you get out of it is that ancient Greeks don't handle coitus interruptus with good grace and that Eva Green can bare her breasts with the same mix of indifference and callousness that Jack Nicholson swears with.

195/300.

Edited by FogHeart at 00:33:31 17-03-2014

Edited by FogHeart at 10:11:12 17-03-2014
  • MrE26 17 Mar 2014 00:48:20 1,932 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anchorman 2 - 6/10

The first comes across as a bunch of man-children making it up as they go along & acting like idiots on camera & it's hilariously stupid. This has the same guys trying really, REALLY hard to do it again & it shows. It just feels really forced at times.

It's still an entertaining enough 90 mins, the problem is it runs for 120 mins...
  • Nanocrystal 17 Mar 2014 06:03:21 1,018 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Agree about Anchorman 2, funny in places but trying way too hard and too self-conscious. Also, WTF happened to Corningstone's face???
  • kalel 17 Mar 2014 11:49:46 87,693 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Birds

I've seen this film maybe 20 times, and yet every time I watch it I'm surprised when it's in colour. For some reason in my head it's a black and white film.

Anyway, I love it. Not the most sophisticated of Hitchcock's films but certainly one of his tightest, and most Du Maurier stories work very well on the screen. Some of the effects are just amazing as well, even if you don't allow for age. I still don't understand how they do the school attack. Definitely one of my all time favourites.

9/10

Dead Calm

Haven't seen this in years and had basically forgotten about it, but a reminder from a page or so back made me revisit it. Great film. I love two or three-handers and this is a brilliant example of one. Love the way the two boats separate the action. It would actually make a really good play.

The main thing that struck me though was how good Billy Zane was in it. He never really went anywhere despite starring in the biggest film of all time. He's not half bad.

Anyway, no idea why the guy on the last page thought this was rubbish. It does everything a thriller should and still stands up as unique in a number of ways.

9/10
  • nickthegun 17 Mar 2014 12:11:14 59,938 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Enders Game:

I havent read the book, so I cant comment on its authenticity but the plot is an absolutely preposterous and weirdly vague tale of the army thinking child abuse is the way to create military leaders.

Harrison Ford continues his quest to destroy his legacy by being the worst thing on the screen at all times, yet again but the child actors are pretty decent and do make you care about them being fucked with.

Overall, its not as bad as you have heard.

6/10

Aliens:

I havent watched this in its entirety in quite a few years, always jumping in and out when I caught it on TV, so I made a concerted effort to do so this weekend.

The first thing you notice is that, yeah, the opening sequence has been quite badly dated by slightly comical futuristic computers, especially when Burke gets a dot-matrix print out from his briefcase.

Also, Ripleys hair looks like its been cut with a knife and fork through the entirety of the movie.

But, yeah, its brilliant. It gets somewhat unfairly written off by some people as a derp action movie but the entire first half of the film is a very low key, suspenseful affair with the team trying to unravel what happened.

Even when things go turbo, its not like its a 'FUCK YEAH!' kind of action. The squad immediately gets whittled down to its bare bones and the tension is ratcheted up by the realisation that they are outnumbered, under-prepared and completely fucked.

So, Aliens: Better than the first one, you twats.

10/10

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Chopsen 17 Mar 2014 12:13:02 15,999 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Directors cut or original?
  • nickthegun 17 Mar 2014 12:14:48 59,938 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The DC.

I think by now the DC is the default version.

Edited by nickthegun at 12:15:30 17-03-2014

• Deckard1 17 Mar 2014 12:27:57 27,995 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I watched it the other day as well and agree with all that.

Alien is still better though.
  • imamazed 17 Mar 2014 12:31:02 5,621 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh good, this is happening again.
  • nickthegun 17 Mar 2014 12:34:32 59,938 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is more of a followup. Next week, im going to watch Alien 3 again just to see if its still shit.

• mrpon 17 Mar 2014 12:35:37 28,921 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ³

In case anyone needs it.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• TarickStonefire 17 Mar 2014 12:51:00 3,107 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Aliens:

I havent watched this in its entirety in quite a few years, always jumping in and out when I caught it on TV, so I made a concerted effort to do so this weekend.

The first thing you notice is that, yeah, the opening sequence has been quite badly dated by slightly comical futuristic computers, especially when Burke gets a dot-matrix print out from his briefcase.

Also, Ripleys hair looks like its been cut with a knife and fork through the entirety of the movie.

But, yeah, its brilliant. It gets somewhat unfairly written off by some people as a derp action movie but the entire first half of the film is a very low key, suspenseful affair with the team trying to unravel what happened.

Even when things go turbo, its not like its a 'FUCK YEAH!' kind of action. The squad immediately gets whittled down to its bare bones and the tension is ratcheted up by the realisation that they are outnumbered, under-prepared and completely fucked.

So, Aliens: Better than the first one, you twats.

10/10
    We went to bed just after Ripley told Newt "It's okay, these soldiers are here to protect you, they have big guns n stuff" and Newt sagely replied "That won't matter" and ITV cut to an ad break, and I remember thinking, this has been on for quite a while so far, and it's been great, and there hasn't been so much as a sniff of an alien (face huggers aside), they really ratchet up the tension.

Love this film. No time for 'derp action movie' naysayers, it's just a masterclass of a film.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 17 Mar 2014 12:53:32 3,107 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    This is more of a followup. Next week, im going to watch Alien 3 again just to see if its still shit.
    Alien 3 is great. Sure, it's a mess, with so many disappointing aspects to it (Hicks and Newt dying being just a tragic waste of the audience's investment in those characters), but deep in there is a genuinely interesting, surprising, exciting and satisfying film. I particularly love the final sequence when the prisoners realise they really are fucked and need to band together to lead the alien to the molten lead pit, and Ripley catching the alien queen as it bursts from her. I think maybe all that stuff is only in the director's cut version?

It's Resurrection that ruins everything for me. Such a pointless film, with a truly crap ending. That alien baby thing. Urgh.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 12:55:19 17-03-2014

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Steve_Perry 17 Mar 2014 12:54:20 4,263 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Alien is better than Aliens.

See you all next week.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Page

of 2770 First / Last