of 2703 First / Last

• Dougs 16 Mar 2014 07:52:04 66,619 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    Dead Calm

Poop.

2/10
    No fucking way! Dead Calm is a classic. It's a bit rough round the edges it builds tension nicely
  • Mola_Ram 16 Mar 2014 07:54:27 6,946 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, Phillip Noyce is a great director. The leads are all excellent too. Not sure what's not to like about Dead Calm.
  • Scurrminator 16 Mar 2014 08:36:45 8,377 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lone survivor
    7/10
    Enjoyed it. Pretty tense. Though didn't like the obviously made up bit at the end.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Gambit1977 16 Mar 2014 08:56:23 9,583 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, I enjoyed the first VHS but thought the second was tiresome, one of them felt like most of the movie.
  • askew 16 Mar 2014 09:43:13 12,020 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Need for Speed: 4/10

The best video-game adaptation so far.

(Good race sequences; shit script; corny plot; crap acting from Dominic Cooper, Imogen Poots, and Michael Keaton)
  • zoolophage 16 Mar 2014 09:53:31 1,576 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Grand Hotel Budapest: 8/10

Very much a by the numbers, quirky and beautifully set Wes Anderson film with the usual slightly left field characters. Ralph Fiennes does a good job and I felt the film evoked the feeling of the dying days of a bygone age quite well. It tails off a little action and plot wise towards the end but doesn't overstay its welcome. Recommended if you're a fan of Wes Anderson's other films. If not, I'd think it's rather more of an average 6/10 movie.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• BillMurray 16 Mar 2014 10:22:16 7,604 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    47 Ronin - 60%

I'm probably being a bit generous. I wanted to like it but the effects looked a bit wank and not a lot happens to be honest. Keanu's likes barely fill an A4 sheet of paper, in large print. I did want to like it but it was just a bit average.
  • speedofthepuma 16 Mar 2014 10:32:23 13,266 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Prisoners - 7/10. Gripping but overlong, solid acting, good tension, particularly hard to watch for parents. Really suffers by being around 45 mins too long but still a good step in the right direction for Hollwood towards making films that are worth watching, and it took me longer than usual to guess/work out the finale.

2 guns - 6/10. Enjoyable enough but a bit odd to see such "big" actors take on generic action roles. In the end it made me yearn for Leathal Weapon.

Edited by speedofthepuma at 19:44:40 16-03-2014

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• beastmaster 16 Mar 2014 11:01:08 11,149 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hick - 3/10

ChloŽ Grace Moretz plays a teenager who leaves her home in Nebraska and heads for Vegas. On the way she meetings a few unsavoury characters.

Nothing much happens in this film. Its well acted but it's all a bit dull and un-engaging.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• cheeky_prawnking 16 Mar 2014 11:08:50 4,256 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Notebook

Watched it at the missus request, not really my thing at knowing a little of the story I knew it would be the kind of film to get to me.

I was right it did get to me, but I did enjoy it. The story was a by the numbers love story, but for me was elevated above the normal by the dementia of the wife in her later years.

8/10
  • Dougs 16 Mar 2014 11:18:12 66,619 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Our Idiot Brother. 6/10. Paul Rudd as a hippy who imposes himself on his family, but manages to help them along the way, despite his actions. Perfectly watchable but distinctly average with a few laughs. Even Zooey Deschanel as a Lesbian can't elevate it much. Still, seen worse for Friday night fodder.
  • -cerberus- 16 Mar 2014 11:35:55 2,407 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Mola_Ram Felt like made-for-TV pulp to me.

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• CosmicFuzz 16 Mar 2014 11:39:31 23,132 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Lone survivor
    7/10
    Enjoyed it. Pretty tense. Though didn't like the obviously made up bit at the end.
    What bit? I thought it was (largely) true. There's photos of the two of them together at the end.

Is anyone else getting a bit bored with remastered games? Read my thoughts!

• Madder-Max 16 Mar 2014 11:41:24 11,618 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gravity - 6.5/10. (2d HD)

Very overrated movie. Effects are great and it looks fab but that's about it.

Too many plot holes or conveniences. One non spoilery example is if you are spinning in space ( just you in your spacesuit not attached to amything). Surely your speed of spin or rotation does not slow due to space being frictionless? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

I don't know why people moan about the sandra bullock thing. Its alright. Her story if fine. Maybe it says more about audiences expecting a male in the role and how they don't like change. (Just look at the abuse Anna Gunn got for her role in Breaking Bad)

Its a film made for an audience that clings to old stereotypes and perceptions (American) and that could be the fault of the film industry, pushing these elements on filmgoers so that they have a less risky framework to make films with. They try something different with Bullock maybe as a test and look at the reaction.

The ending is shit and very improbable.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• HarryPalmer 16 Mar 2014 11:45:33 3,081 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My Week With Marilyn

Utter Gash
  • -cerberus- 16 Mar 2014 12:06:04 2,407 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote: The ending is shit and very improbable.
    The alternate ending has her landing in some uncivilised shithole where she is stoned to death for not wearing any clothes. The End. :lol:

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• macmurphy 16 Mar 2014 12:06:12 999 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Lone survivor
    7/10
    What bit? I thought it was (largely) true. There's photos of the two of them together at the end.

Without trying to spoil too much, the movie finishes with a big action set piece. It's very Hollywood and nothing like what happened.
  • spindle9988 16 Mar 2014 12:27:11 3,490 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cheeky_prawnking wrote:
    The Notebook

Watched it at the missus request, not really my thing at knowing a little of the story I knew it would be the kind of film to get to me.

I was right it did get to me, but I did enjoy it. The story was a by the numbers love story, but for me was elevated above the normal by the dementia of the wife in her later years.

8/10
    I hop the dementia bit isn't a spoiler
  • cheeky_prawnking 16 Mar 2014 13:05:40 4,256 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The films been around for about 8 years so if it is I apologise, but been around long enough now surely.
  • Architect_z 16 Mar 2014 14:25:35 2,374 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anchorman 2: 70%

It was everything I expected it to be basically. Some recycled jokes, the cast trying too hard to be funny. Even though the comedy was predictable in some cases, it was still a good effort. The main downside is that the previous film was naturally great, no one over-acted their parts and the jokes were told as if the actors wrote them, themselves, the second film felt too forced. If you go in knowing it'll be worse than the previous, i;m sure you'll enjoy it.

Grand Budapest Hotel: 85%

It was a very nice movie. Good comedy and very odd scenes, it was very artistic and the characters were so loveable.
    Lots of famous faces, I didn't know anything about the movie before going in, and it was a suprise to see so many known actors.
    All the performances were great.
    I can't really give you an idea as to why it doesnt get 100%, but I think it was purely down to my enjoyment of it, its was great in pretty much every way, but did I enjoy it as much as Independance Day? No. And everyone knows that Independance Day is very far from perfection.

Edited by Architect_z at 14:31:05 16-03-2014
  • TarickStonefire 16 Mar 2014 15:02:49 2,894 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Adaptation

Wow/10

Loved it. As someone who's trying to write, it was a really fascinating quasi-true look into the process of creating a screenplay. I really love meta stuff like this, it was so clever. Also, Nic Cage was great! As in, actually great, not comedy great. One of the few decent performances he's put in.

Only seen this and Eternal Sunshine (which I also loved) so am going to have to check out the rest of Kauffman's stuff.
    Being John Malkovich is fun, sufficiently weird. What else has he done though? Could IMDb it I suppose, but probably won't.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• monkehhh 16 Mar 2014 15:11:45 3,267 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Check out Synecdoche, New York - that's what happens when Kaufman directs his own writing :) (I love it).
  • thelzdking 16 Mar 2014 16:16:18 4,310 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Killing Fields - 7/10

Powerful scenes, but somewhat disjointed.
  • TechnoHippy 16 Mar 2014 17:45:18 14,698 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A Hijacking

This film is an excellent Danish film about a Danish cargo ship that is hijacked by Somali pirates, it tells the story along two threads, the first is about the ship's crew being held hostage, in particular the ship's cook. In parallel it tells about the negotiations for the crew's release by the CEO of the corporation that owns the ship.

The strength of the film comes from the performances, across the board they are excellent. The pace of the film is slow, but it is always interesting. The interaction between the crew and the pirates is mercurial, one moment there is a sense of camaraderie, they are all waiting for the same thing. The next they are subjected to terror through violence and mock executions. At the centre of it is the ship's cook, the pirates manipulate him to aid their negotiations, he also has the most contact with them and the relationship between them is fascinating to watch.

The other thread focuses on the CEO and his negotiations with the pirate leader, these are a slow and tense process forming the backbone of the film. There's some internal politics involved and he's being advised by an expert in the field, but against the advice conducts the negotiations himself. We also catch glimpses of the families of the crew, although here the film lacked a little.

Like other fine Danish films and TV shows it's an understated film that works on the strength of its performances. There's no flash or melodrama, it's an authentic feel that unfolds at its own pace. It's an excellent film that's well worth a watch.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Dirtbox 16 Mar 2014 19:18:47 77,461 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    A Hijacking

This film is an excellent Danish film about a Danish cargo ship that is hijacked by Somali pirates
    Do you even read this crap back to yourself?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• kalel 16 Mar 2014 19:22:19 86,261 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    At least he didn't say "the adventures of a Danish Cargo ship". Although he may have considered it.
  • TechnoHippy 16 Mar 2014 19:38:17 14,698 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    A Hijacking

This film is an excellent Danish film about a Danish cargo ship that is hijacked by Somali pirates
    Do you even read this crap back to yourself?
    Why do you care? Or do you just feel it necessary to try and belittle others?

• Dirtbox 16 Mar 2014 19:48:18 77,461 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Because you're writing for a game I've waited 20 years for, that's why. I hope to god they have someone to act as an editor otherwise it's amateur night.

• TechnoHippy 16 Mar 2014 19:52:29 14,698 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Because you're writing for a game I've waited 20 years for, that's why. I hope to god they have someone to act as an editor otherwise it's amateur night.
    I get that you don't like my writing, but the constant digs are a bit tiresome. If you don't like what I post just put me on ignore, save us both the hassle.

• Dirtbox 16 Mar 2014 20:00:52 77,461 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Righto.

• Page

of 2703 First / Last