Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2503

• Page

of 2840 First / Last

• sega 7 Mar 2014 16:23:58 908 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @nickthegun I don't like either Chocolate Factory movies if I'm honest. I can accept the first is a classic and some people love it, but I despise it.

The Burton Alice in Wonderland is so awful I'd probably say it's one of the worst films I've seen at the cinema. I have so many complaints about it that I wouldn't even know where to begin. It's best I don't as you'll have a rant going over the next couple of pages.
  • -cerberus- 7 Mar 2014 16:26:37 3,349 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    And, lest we forget, his Planet of the Apes remake was atrocious as well.

People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

• nickthegun 7 Mar 2014 16:26:41 60,978 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wasnt a fan of Alice In Wonderland, either. For the life of me I cant figure out how, out of all his movies, that was the one to gross over $1bn.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• -cerberus- 7 Mar 2014 16:27:57 3,349 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @nickthegun Like I said: shallow mainstream entertainment. Success guaranteed.

• imamazed 7 Mar 2014 16:30:46 5,888 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is Mars Attacks! any good? I remember liking it as a kid.
  • sega 7 Mar 2014 16:31:46 908 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wouldn't put it down to shallow mainstream entertainment too much since I went to see it. I think it's more because it's a classic story that many people are fond of by a director that should have been perfect for it.

I was so disappointed by it when I left, but it's too late at that point. They had my money.
  • -cerberus- 7 Mar 2014 16:34:04 3,349 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @imamazed It is. Very quirky though.

• mal 7 Mar 2014 16:34:40 22,787 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, Mars Attacks is still okay. Some of the humour falls flat after this long, but it basically still stands up.

Personally I blame Bonham Carter. Had he made a decent film with her in?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Tom_Servo 7 Mar 2014 16:39:51 18,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Alice in Wonderland was awful. Incredibly boring, so much so I nearly dozed off. It reminded me of Kermode's rant on Pirates of the Caribbean when he says there's no actual plot and it's just a bunch of stuff that happens.
  • nickthegun 7 Mar 2014 16:41:23 60,978 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its a terrible phrase but Mars Attacks is total marmite.

I absolutely love it, its one of my favourite Burton movies, but i can totally see why a lot of people hate it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• NyxCloud 7 Mar 2014 16:46:03 1 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, 73 %.
  • RedSparrows 7 Mar 2014 17:03:19 23,855 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Alice in Wonderland was awful. Incredibly boring, so much so I nearly dozed off. It reminded me of Kermode's rant on Pirates of the Caribbean when he says there's no actual plot and it's just a bunch of stuff that happens.
    I really hate the POC movies. They have a terrific setting and license to go crazy, but end up being ruined by two of the most irritating actors around playing out a love story you just don't give a shit about and endless boring machinations that become utterly meaningless. Jack Sparrow goes from 'haha what a fun guy!' to 'GET ON WITH IT'.
  • thelzdking 7 Mar 2014 17:21:14 4,407 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've never got the Pirates of the Caribbean films. I mean they're well made and everything, but surely they're just blockbuster-price shovelware?
  • oceanmotion 7 Mar 2014 17:27:55 16,082 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jablonski wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Thor: Dark World
    Odin bellows in one part of the movie informs his son they are not gods or immortals but then in another gives Thor a telling off for bringing a motal to Asgard, which is it?

5/10
    I love watching Anthony Hopkins in that film:

whisper whisper whisper whisper SHOUT SHOUT SHOUT SHOUT whisper...
    ...and repeat.
    He went into Farmer mode once or twice as well.

Thor Dark World was okay, wasn't as good as the first one.. Too much Marvel formula, bare plot advancements, ignores decent parts and waste of talent. Comedy parts were good. Still entertaining enough. Makes me want to watch the first Thor more than anything.

6/10

Gravity

I can understand the cinema experience would add considerably to this but I still enjoyed it, doesn't drag or hang about too long. Great roller coaster. Aside from the grab something you idiot parts, Russian plot to get things started and the subtlety of a hammer scene which looked great though, the film was excellent.

8/10
  • Deckard1 7 Mar 2014 17:36:31 29,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The first POC was pretty good at the time. I've never made it through any of the other ones though. The squid face guy was pretty cool.

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• Fatiguez 7 Mar 2014 20:02:28 8,753 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The first Pirates is ace, I like it a lot but it could do with being a fair bit shorter. Second one is not bad I guess (and I was thoroughly entertained at the time because of how good the speshl effex were) but even more overly long, third one was just weird and naff. How many others did they make after that? I haven't seen them.

I don't mind Burton's films really, he's pretty much low hanging fruit as far as the "lol I wonder who Depp and Bonham Carter will play in his next film haha" thing goes, which is fair enough I suppose. His later stuff has gotten pretty samey and dumb but there's still some decent stuff from the past 10 years or so - Sweeney Todd was really unexpectedly good, I thought, and I agree with nick that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is not actually a bad film, although it helps that I haven't seen the original.

show me your tits u bitch from ubisoft

• Rhaegyr 7 Mar 2014 20:24:31 2,666 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago

Sorry - Playing Stick of Truth has me inserting any SP reference all over the forum :D

Agreed about Sweeney Todd; hate most musicals but I really enjoyed this.
  • jablonski 7 Mar 2014 20:29:24 4,520 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Batman Returns is marvellous. Burton allowed to do whatever he wants with all the money he could need.

Sadly he didn't make an another good film after this (save Mars Attacks, which has some great parts to it).

Edward Scisssorhands is his masterpiece.

Edited by jablonski at 20:29:38 07-03-2014
  • Deckard1 7 Mar 2014 20:44:07 29,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Calling Edward Scissorhands a masterpiece is pushing it a bit. And everyone knows Burtons best non Batman film was Beetlejuice.

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• Deleted user 7 March 2014 20:47:52
    I quite liked frankenweenie. But that was short and sweet, a nice idea executed pretty well.
  • captainrentboy 8 Mar 2014 00:07:49 1,058 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    300 ROE- 70%
    Lots of slow mo (Even more than the original), lots of hacking and slicing off of limbs, and lots of glistening muscular bods in tiny tight pants.
    It's basically the first one again but with a lot more sea battles and blue capes. Although sadly the new guy is definitely no Butler, and you kind of miss his massive bearded screaming mouth. But Eva Green more than makes up for the slightly bland main guy, and you get to see her tittays. (There's an hysterically bad sex fight half way through, it really is a thing of beauty)
    So yeah, the smackdowns are great (The opening battle at Marathon was better than anything from the original), the score is brilliant, the acting is awful and it's far better when the film spends time with the bad guys rather than the bland goodies.
  • Tom_Servo 8 Mar 2014 00:29:04 18,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - 6.0/10

Wes Anderson's only dud for me. Describing it as a dud is maybe a little unfair; there's still some enjoyment to be had out of this, just not a lot and certainly very little in comparison to films like The Fantastic Mr. Fox or Moonrise Kingdom.

All the components of a good Wes Anderson film are present but they just don't gel for some reason. It actually feels like someone else trying to make a Wes Anderson film but they don't have the wit or talent to do it. Everything is just a little lacking in quality and sharpness. It's also the only Anderson film where I can say I was actually bored for significant portions.
  • speedofthepuma 8 Mar 2014 00:42:02 13,310 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now you know how I feel for most Wes Anderson films.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Mola_Ram 8 Mar 2014 01:07:32 7,957 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I liked the bit that had sigur ros on the soundtrack.
  • mal 8 Mar 2014 01:18:53 22,787 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I quite enjoyed Royal Tenembaums first time I saw it, but I don't think I've ever made it through a resit since. Never made it through Life Aquatic even once. Yet for some reason I'm really quite excited by the idea of The Grand Budapest Hotel.

I did rather like The Fantastic Mr Fox though. Could watch that any day.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Tom_Servo 8 Mar 2014 01:19:55 18,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Thought that was potentially a really good scene ruined by Sigur Ros. Blergh.
  • Tom_Servo 8 Mar 2014 01:22:06 18,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fantastic Mr. Fox is excellent, as is Moonrise Kingdom. On the tier below you have Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums and The Darjeeling Limited. Then, finally, poor old Life Aquatic. (Haven't seen Bottle Rocket)

IMHO, YMMV, etc. etc.
  • Defecationqueen 8 Mar 2014 01:25:38 592 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I wasnt a fan of Alice In Wonderland, either. For the life of me I cant figure out how, out of all his movies, that was the one to gross over $1bn.
    Quite simple, really. The film has 'land' in the title = guaranteed success. Think about it: The LAND Before Time, ZombieLAND, Finding Never LAND, The Silence of the LANDS, Pound LAND etc etc etc
  • Mola_Ram 8 Mar 2014 01:34:43 7,957 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Definitely the opposite for me!
  • Tom_Servo 8 Mar 2014 01:42:34 18,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Definitely the opposite for me!
    It was an emotional enough scene already (Bill Murray's face, man), it really didn't Sigur Ros' subtle-as-a-sledgehammer EMOTIONAL SWELLING MUSIC.

I don't like Sigur Ros
  • Page

of 2840 First / Last