Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2478

• Page

of 2841 First / Last

• Mola_Ram 12 Feb 2014 23:36:47 7,961 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud

Yeah, I didn't think it was that great. I found it a little dull. Not bad or anything, but certainly not the film that almost everyone else saw.

But I've never read the comics, so maybe I was just missing the point.

Anyway, if we're going to do the whole "is The Raid comparable to Dredd" thing again... yes, I enjoyed The Raid immensely more. It's got the makings of an all-time classic, whereas I've already forgotten most of what happened in Dredd.

And hey, fair play to the people who liked it more than I did. This place would be pretty boring if everyone agreed!

Edited by Mola_Ram at 23:37:40 12-02-2014
  • Gartt 13 Feb 2014 01:39:49 1,846 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're Next 7/10

Caught this on Mexican netflix (gotta love Hola), well worth a look if you like slasher/gore type "horror" films.
  • MoGamer2006 13 Feb 2014 10:08:05 977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Tomo

I thought HC worked better as a concept than a film. When I heard about it, the idea really played on my mind... and then you see it and think, oh, it's just another competent enough (albeit unusually restrained) horror flick.

The annoyingness of the two female leads probably helped make it less disturbing than I thought it'd be - get those fucking babble-spewing mouths sewn up, asap!
  • spindle9988 13 Feb 2014 10:20:22 3,660 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bully (doc)

I posted as I was watching this as it was difficult viewing. The film makers follow kids who are being bullied. The thing which upset me the most was the attitide of the head mistress. There is a point where the film makers follow a kid on his journey on the yellow school bus, he gets quite badly bullied on this journey so the makers decide to show the parents the tape as they are worried about the kids safety.
    The parents then go to the head mistress to to see what can be done. Instead of taking any appropiate action, she just pulls out a photo of her new born niece and states: I would be really upset if this little girl was being bullied so I understand how you feel. I mean what kind of fucked up response is that?

There is much more to disturb and upset throughout, and it's quite a powerful film. I wont rate it but it's on us netflix if anyone wants to watch it
  • FWB 14 Feb 2014 23:25:49 45,137 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lego The Movie - 8/10.

Looks great. Not as funny as I expected, but some decent chuckles. Soppy Hollywood moral is a cliché, but forgivable. Do see in 3D.

A Hijacking - 7/10

Well made, subtle and with some strong characters. Last bit at the end didn't make sense in the context of the story and characters, but I guess had to put in cos it is a European film and this ain't Hollywood.
  • warlockuk 14 Feb 2014 23:44:00 19,211 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I saw the Lego Movie in 2D 'cos fuck 3D in its ass. I'd go 9/10 - best film I've seen Hollywood shit out in a while tbh. The last few big movies have sucked utter balls.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• FWB 14 Feb 2014 23:52:39 45,137 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm not a big fan of 3D but the Lego film is a prime candidate for it, and it works great.

I took points off for not enough laughs, specifically more mature ones. I really enjoyed the other franchises turning up and being mocked. Batman is probably the best character cos of that. Just needed a bit more of that.

But the concept and world are great.
  • FatSternKikwi 15 Feb 2014 00:06:50 608 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    12 years a slave

Worthy of all the praise. Just such a brilliant film all round. Easy choice for best film at the oscars.
  • Tomo 15 Feb 2014 00:56:21 13,964 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives - WTF/10

Quite possibly the weirdest film I've ever seen. Certainly one of the most boring. A black Chewbacca with glowing red eyes suddenly appears out of nowhere for dinner, turns out to be the old man's long lost son. One of the old man's first reactions is: "Why did you grow your hair so long?" Turns out Chewie mated with some Spirit Monkeys...

0_0
  • Megapocalypse 15 Feb 2014 08:20:53 5,491 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I Give It A Year - 7/10

Fun british rom-com where the comedy takes precedence.
  • skiplevels 15 Feb 2014 08:26:27 538 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    good old joe
  • mcmothercruncher 15 Feb 2014 09:04:38 7,496 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Filth.

Pish.
  • craigy Staff 15 Feb 2014 10:30:29 7,767 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Her: 9/10
  • imamazed 15 Feb 2014 11:01:00 5,888 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dallas buyers club

A very good central performance. But the film itself is a little directionless IMO. I'm not sure exactly what the film is trying to say. Still, mahogany makes it a delight to follow. Its just no classic.

7/10
  • takosuke 15 Feb 2014 16:25:17 493 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Blackfish 100/100

If i were an Orca trapped in a pool i would love to know this film was out there.

It's a well made documentary. It's informative, it's heart breaking. It's all too obvious, atleast to a normal human being, Killer Whales should not be kept in man made pools. The message seems clear - all the while there is big money to be made, companies like SeaWorld will continue to keep Killer Whales in captivity, and employ those who are willing to say what ever is required, weather it be to a paying audience, or a judge.

Fingers crossed, maybe some day (the sooner the better), Tillicum (Tilly for short), Lolita, and all the other captive Killer Whales (..and whales, Dolphins), including those being held at Loro Parque, will be set free.
  • wuntyphyve 15 Feb 2014 18:09:42 1,506 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Lego Movie

9/10 highly recommended.
  • Madder-Max 15 Feb 2014 19:59:25 11,679 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lego Movie 3D. 6/10

Maybe it was the sound balance or something but the beginning was not very engaging. It gets going after about 10 mins but you have seen most of the exposition in the trailers.

The 3D is not great. Its one of those movies that's not full 3D. A few times I took the glasses off to check and it was not very blurry at all.

It is a massive massive advert for Lego (obviously) as the film lays out various Lego playsets and then slam dunks it with cliche schmaltz that is squarely aimed at a part of the family units relationship.

Its a pretty cool concept and fairly enjoyable and far superior to Planes.

Oh and my 7 year old boy loved it so reccomended.

Edited by Madder-Max at 20:03:34 15-02-2014

99 problems and being ginger is one

• askew 15 Feb 2014 21:26:33 12,546 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Her: 9/10
    I loved it too. The aesthetic of the whole film was fantastic.
  • TechnoHippy 15 Feb 2014 21:31:45 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Big Trouble in Little China

It's been many years since I last watched this film and as with any film watched a long time ago with fond memories there's always the slight trepidation that it doesn't hold up to watching with older eyes (if not an older brain!). I needn't have worried though, while the film does show its age in many ways it's still great fun to watch.

Kurt Russel plays Jack Burton, a wise cracking truck driver who's friend's fiance is kidnapped, he agrees to help try and get her back from the gang who took her. Unfortunately he's up against more than just a gang of thugs and faces against an ancient Chinese evil.

It's a silly film, ok a very silly film. The story is over the top and so is Jack Burton, he plays a traditional tough truck driver and that makes a nice contrast to the supernatural and martial arts experts around him. While the support all do their jobs well Burton is very much the star of the show, he balances the action and the humour superbly.

For me Big Trouble is the proof that sometimes things are as good as you remember them and this remains an excellent comedy action film.

9/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• beastmaster 15 Feb 2014 21:40:38 11,796 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "Son of a bitch must pay!"

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Derblington 15 Feb 2014 21:53:50 22,098 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This week I've seen:

The LEGO Movie: 8/10
    Loved it

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit: 7/10
    Really solid spy action film. Would happily sit through a few more of these while alternating with Bond and Bourne.

Robocop (2014): 6/10
    I enjoyed it quite a bit, it's similar but different. It's not got a huge amount of rewatchability, though I will most likely get it when it hits BD. It's well made and it works well enough for me but it's not as good as the original in a number of ways. It'll be interesting to see where they take it now.

Edited by Derblington at 21:54:15 15-02-2014
  • Tomo 15 Feb 2014 23:00:14 13,964 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    True Grit (2010) - 8/10

Finally a good Cohen brothers film!
  • Gruff 15 Feb 2014 23:03:27 2,941 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heathen

True Grit 8/10

As always, outstanding writing and casting. Enjoy this one the more I see it.

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Dougs 16 Feb 2014 00:07:23 69,026 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    Filth.

Pish.
    What didn't you like about it?
  • wobbly_Bob 16 Feb 2014 09:37:20 1,898 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Big Trouble in Little China

It's been many years since I last watched this film and as with any film watched a long time ago with fond memories there's always the slight trepidation that it doesn't hold up to watching with older eyes (if not an older brain!). I needn't have worried though, while the film does show its age in many ways it's still great fun to watch.

Kurt Russel plays Jack Burton, a wise cracking truck driver who's friend's fiance is kidnapped, he agrees to help try and get her back from the gang who took her. Unfortunately he's up against more than just a gang of thugs and faces against an ancient Chinese evil.

It's a silly film, ok a very silly film. The story is over the top and so is Jack Burton, he plays a traditional tough truck driver and that makes a nice contrast to the supernatural and martial arts experts around him. While the support all do their jobs well Burton is very much the star of the show, he balances the action and the humour superbly.

For me Big Trouble is the proof that sometimes things are as good as you remember them and this remains an excellent comedy action film.

9/10
    One of my all time favourite movies. I don't think I'll ever tire of it. Brilliant!
  • TechnoHippy 16 Feb 2014 11:27:46 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Apparition

I was mildly surprised by this film, I watched the trailer and thought it would be fun, but it's been getting some bad reviews so I wasn't expecting much. It actually turned out to be a decent horror film, not the greatest film but certainly worth a watch.

The story starts with some students attempting to prove that supernatural phenomena is caused by belief, the experiment succeeds but they have to abort when things go crazy. The film then skips a few years to a young couple moving into a new house and sinister events plague them in their new home.

While the overall story isn't anything special it does have some interesting developments (I liked the explanation of the entity's existence) and it is paced well. It's other downside is the reliance on shock (sudden movements and so forth) to generate its horror (a failing of many modern horror films), however there are some good takes on the usual take.

The performances are also good and despite the reliance of shock it does build enough of an atmosphere to carry the film. Overall I enjoyed it.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• HarryPalmer 16 Feb 2014 11:54:07 3,543 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Lego Movie - 8/10

If you like Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, you know what to expect. Funny from start to finish, the humour is acerbic and juvenile in equal measure, it looks stunning; best computer animation I've ever seen. Loses points for the sentimental world breaking ending - but it's forgivable.

I thoroughly recommend watching whilst stoned. Probably the best 'kids' movie since Toy Story 3.
  • Trowel 16 Feb 2014 13:10:58 18,016 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Prisoners - 7/10

A little predictable but nicely directed. A poor man's Zodiac.

Zodiac - 9/10

Definitely the right order to watch those two in ;)
  • altitude2k 16 Feb 2014 13:48:26 4,821 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Lego Movie - Everything is awesome / 10

I cannot understate how much I loved this. It perfectly encapsulated what is great about Lego, and the habits people have with it. But most of all it was just a great animated film, and plenty laugh-out-loud funny. Animation was exceptionally well done.

I'll agree with the chap above, though, that the ending pushed the sentiment of how Lego should be played with a bit in your face, when it was fine, clear and well-told enough as subtext through most of it.

Nevertheless, I'd consider it to be one of my favourite animated movies.

SPACESHIP!
  • Deleted user 16 February 2014 14:31:35
    altitude2k wrote:
    The Lego Movie - Everything is awesome / 10

I cannot understate how much I loved this. It perfectly encapsulated what is great about Lego, and the habits people have with it. But most of all it was just a great animated film, and plenty laugh-out-loud funny. Animation was exceptionally well done.

I'll agree with the chap above, though, that the ending pushed the sentiment of how Lego should be played with a bit in your face, when it was fine, clear and well-told enough as subtext through most of it.

Nevertheless, I'd consider it to be one of my favourite animated movies.

SPACESHIP!
    Thanks for this. I quite fancy seeing the thing as the lego games make me laugh. Must get it on Blu Ray, as I'm not sure my g/f is into it. She wants to see that latest George Clooney film about art theft and that's not had good reviews from what I've seen.
  • Page

of 2841 First / Last