Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2476

• Page

of 2801 First / Last

• glaeken 8 Feb 2014 12:07:43 11,226 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Stickman I an only imagine they really hate Cruise. It makes no sense otherwise. I actually quite liked Oblivion. It was nothing special but I liked the look of it and the story was Ok despite the twist being obvious. The idea it was so terrible you would walk out of the cinema is bizzare. It's not even close to being that bad.
  • macmurphy 8 Feb 2014 13:17:55 999 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lone Survivor 8/10

Marky Mark Wahlberg stars in this Seals in Afghan based on a real story pic. Curious mix of real life photos and a slow realistic build up broken up with some over the top battle scenes and slow motion heroic cliche. On the whole it does enough right to be forgiven; some of the combat scenes are first rate and the slow build up gives you a chance to see beneath the usual special forces stereotypes. It's also very hard to dislike a film that is doing it's very best to celebrate the brave men it is portraying.
  • mrpon 8 Feb 2014 14:50:55 29,202 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrFlay wrote:
    Oblivion is the only film I've ever walked out of half-way through. Utterly dire.
    On your own obviously.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Dougs 8 Feb 2014 15:56:46 68,466 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Filth. 7.5/10 McEvoy was superb, the soundtrack was great, I just wasn't wholly convinced about how they dealt with his demise, which was more dramatic in the book. Been a while since I read the book though, might have to revisit.
  • craigy Staff 8 Feb 2014 16:32:51 7,722 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Robo(t)cop (2014): 6/10
  • Bremenacht 8 Feb 2014 18:20:11 18,752 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    MrFlay wrote:
    Oblivion is the only film I've ever walked out of half-way through. Utterly dire.
    On your own obviously.
    :- D

lollollol!
  • Toonster 8 Feb 2014 20:00:12 6,845 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The LEGO Movie - 9/10

Hilarious, beautifully-animated, fun story with some genuine heart. Easily up there with Toy Story.

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• shamblemonkee 8 Feb 2014 20:17:29 14,491 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @macmurphy thing is the title of the movie is a massive spoiler right? :-P

Edited by shamblemonkee at 20:17:38 08-02-2014
  • Soul_quake 8 Feb 2014 20:53:54 267 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Lego Movie 9/10 - everything is awesome!
  • macmurphy 8 Feb 2014 21:24:07 999 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, what you don't infer from the title you pretty much deduce in the first five minutes. Still, what you lose in narrative tension you gain in poignancy, knowing it's based on a true story. My wife loved it. It's definitely the best war movie I have seen in a while. Only lost points for slightly slow beginning and occasional lapse into cliche; it's worth a look.
  • Gemeo 8 Feb 2014 21:26:27 247 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    WALL-E

10/10
  • localnotail 9 Feb 2014 00:05:34 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thor of the Rings 85% Just really entertaining. Reminded me of Flash Gordon and Star Wars. Had just about everything, including a Cave Troll.

Filth 76%. Impressive performance of self destruction, but ultimately hollow and ugly. I know that's the point but I was expecting more from it for some reason.

It was so relentlessly lairy yet weightless. Like a pantomime

Edited by localnotail at 00:22:05 09-02-2014

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• MatMan562 9 Feb 2014 01:16:23 2,510 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Robocop (2014)

I've never seen the originals but I enjoyed this! Pretty much just a good action movie really and that's all I wanted from it. There is a little more to it if thats what you want, but not a whole lot.

I have a couple storyline complaints. I found it a little strange that not one person said he looked cool when they first saw him, not even his young son. But what's more baffling is why they decided to upload the crime database stuff into him just 5 minutes before they were due to show him off to the world for the first time. Who thought that was a good idea? And did nobody at all think it might be a good idea to leave out his own crime scene? Nobody? But still, they weren't enough to detract from my enjoyment of the rest of the film.

8/10

Also, it made me really want a Dredd sequel!

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Syrette 9 Feb 2014 01:18:25 43,772 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @MatMan562

I bet it's not as good as this remake.

http://ourrobocopremake.com/watch.html

• JDub 9 Feb 2014 09:07:24 1,290 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Syrette You bet wrong! :D

I saw Robocop last night and give it a solid 7/10. Sure, it lacks in story in a couple of places, but as a film in it's own right, I thought it was pretty good. Focussed in different areas and with some good performances, it entertained until the end. Good CGI as well.

Don't believe the harsh Guardian review - Bradshaw should've given it 3 stars, but then he wasn't that complimentary about Elite Squad...which I thought was great! He's being unduly biased there methinks...any scifi action fan should go to see this...

Edited by JDub at 09:09:16 09-02-2014
  • Duffking 9 Feb 2014 11:00:49 7,354 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lego Movie: 85

Review: SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP!
  • Architect_z 9 Feb 2014 14:09:23 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gravity: 85% - I was actually happy with this film. I'd heard alot of up and down reviews. As a story it was pretty basic and predictable. As a visual spectacle, this is where Gravity really shines. If you're like me, and are interested in space, or enjoy relativley realistic scientific films, then this shouldn't dissapoint.
  • beastmaster 9 Feb 2014 15:07:22 11,619 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Robocop (2014) - 6.5/10

This remake jettisons the original's satire, wit, ultra-voilence, emotional impact and sympathy for the main central character. However, it brings a few good ideas of it's own and manages to entertain, despite is 12A dilution.

The opening scene is excellent and it distances itself from the original in a significant way. So, if you've seen the original you know that it's trying for something a bit different. Any kind of animosity I had before going in had pretty much gone after this and I was ready to see what the new Robocop had to offer.

Quite a lot, surprisingly enough. Although the plot's central theme of Murphy and his transformation and subsequent investigation remains intact, there are enough changes around this to make it a significantly different film that complements the original.

The most obvious omission is the violence. They've gone for the 12A and therefore Murphy doesn't suffer nowhere near as much before becoming Robocop. There's a scene after he's woken up which I found utterly laughable which I'm sure wasn't the intention. "How bad is it?". I really didn't care about Murphy at all in this film.

The acting is superb though from everyone involved and the film' heart comes not from Robo but from Gary Oldman's character. He's excellent in this.

The special effects are superb all the way through with the exception of one scene. The action is well done when taken in context. Yes, it has the spinning camera movement etc. but that's not present in all the action scenes. One sequence in particular is superb. It also makes good use of modern technology when Robo is hunting down his targets.

As far as "pointless" remakes go, this is way ahead of the likes of Total Recall. I was expecting this film to be truly awful and came away very pleasantly surprised.

Odd Thomas - 8/10

A cracking film based on the book by Dean Koontz. it's the story of a clairvoyant who can see grave danger before it happens and there's a lot of supernatural activity happening around a stinger who arrives in his hometown.

Adapted and directed by Stephen Sommers (The Mummy series) this is one of those quirky films that deserve to do well but will probably get ignored.

Odd is kind of a detective for dead people and helps solve the mysteries behind their deaths. He also pretty handily in a fight, which kind of helps as he gets into trouble quite a lot.

The effects are great and they've obviously spent a lot of money on this film. I can see why it's not got a cinema release but I think it would have done well on a limited run.

Odd Thomas is quirky, odd (sorry!) and definitely not your traditional supernatural type film. It's got a great cast, well directed and certainly worth a punt if you fancy seeing something a bit different.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Dougs 9 Feb 2014 15:08:34 68,466 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I quite like the Odd Thomas books. I'm just not convinced how they would translate to film.
  • beastmaster 9 Feb 2014 15:12:08 11,619 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've not read the book so I couldn't really tell you. The trailer pretty much sums up the theme and tone.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• TechnoHippy 9 Feb 2014 15:48:37 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanaomorphoses

I fell for the hype, the tag line was a Cronenburg style body horror with rancid flesh, it sounded interesting so I thought I'd give it a try. I shouldn't have bothered as it's pretty dull. The set up is ok, but the story is thin. A young struggling artist starts waking up with mysterious markings, she assumes that they are from her partners, but they continue and get gradually worse. She also kills a few people and plays with herself a lot.

The problem with the film is that it drags on, nothing much happens and there's no interesting revelations, just a grim monotony. It also teases at some madness behind the transformation\, but they don't really add anything and are confused scenes with no real coherence.

It does however do one thing well and that is the decay of her body, the effects are good and the whole film carries a sense of the disgusting, it's not enough to turn it into a good film, but it did prevent it from being rated as truly awful.

3/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• CharlieStCloud 9 Feb 2014 15:50:03 5,288 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mr. Peabody and Sherman - 8/10

This is actually a really good film! I half expected it to be a bit of a dud for DreamWorks, but I came away feeling rather jolly.

Witty, beautifully animated and surprisingly educational.

... this time-travelling adventure should impress kids and parents in equal measure. Some of the jokes and visuals references may well go over a child's head, but Mums and Dads alike shall get a good laugh out of them.

Funniest animated film since Cloudy With a Chance of Meatball.

: )
  • TechnoHippy 9 Feb 2014 20:19:02 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Last Exorcism Part 2

I enjoyed the first film, it was a decent take on the demonic possession story and the found footage format, this film follows a more traditional format, but does a decent job of continuing from the first film. The story continues with Nell having survived the fire in her home, she is released into temporary care and for a while her life comes back together. That is until strange and horrible visions start to plague her as the evil force returns.

As well as being a well told and decent story I like the fact that the film doesn't rely on gore for its horror, it uses the suggestion of it and also builds a menacing atmosphere. The use of iconography and some creepy appearances really helps build the mood. There's also an interesting take on the demon's motivations and the seductive nature of evil.

It isn't the greatest film in the world, but it is fun one to watch, if you liked the first film this is a good sequel.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Dougs 9 Feb 2014 21:49:48 68,466 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kick Ass 2. 5.5/10. Very disappointing, had no real plot or storyline, was exceptionally silly in places, can't believe some scenes made the final edit. Could never live up to the original, but even so. A few decent moments made it not a complete waste of time.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2014 21:58:10
    Rush -

Very .. well very black and white. Everything is one thing or the other. If that makes sense. Hunt, the playboy, Lauder the man who goes home at night. It one of those sort of films. The film is entertaining, and weaves a simple, but well told story of principle. Def worth a watch, entertaining. 7/10

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

The third time i have seen this now, and still noticing little things on repeat viewings. It's one of those films. Love it.

10/10
  • khaz 10 Feb 2014 02:42:07 2,815 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jack Reacher

Tom Cruise is an excellent action movie star. But someone needs to give him a script that isn't so dull and dumb.

Meh.
  • Tonka 10 Feb 2014 06:25:48 20,820 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @beastmaster Cheers for the heads up on Odd Thomas. I've read the first two books and really enjoyed them. Had no idea there was a film being made.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Fab4 10 Feb 2014 07:15:02 6,115 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Drive - 9/10

Loved it. Its a very stylised movie, straight from the opening music/credits, and at some points it reminded me of playing GTA. I can totally understand why a lot of people hate it though :D
  • CosmicFuzz 10 Feb 2014 08:27:17 24,927 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oblivion 8/10

Really like this. I kind of wish it had more plot to it, as there's moments where it feels stretched out rather than, but it's gorgeous to watch and Cruise is as reliable as ever. Good action scenes, love the look of everything. Plus I'm a sucker for a decent sci fi.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• Ged42 10 Feb 2014 09:38:15 7,755 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is the Lego movie genuinely good?

It looks like one of those movies that's either brilliant or only good if you're 8 years old/completely stoned?
  • Page

of 2801 First / Last