Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2465

• Page

of 2801 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 31 Jan 2014 09:01:07 44,512 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Hunter. 8/10.

Willem Dafoe is a ... mercenary, gun for hire, big game hunter, basically a Muldoon with a beard, hired by a shadowy German company for shadowy German reasons which involve going into the Tasmanian wilderness to 'study the tassie devils' but actually to follow up on sightings of a Tasmanian Tiger, the remains of which are wanted for shadowy German research.

An essay in isolation, from the hostile community to Dafoe's inability to reach out to the tiger itself, all topped by the absolutely stunning (and endless) landscape. No surprise to see Sam Neill cropping up in this either, he seems wedded to tourism promotion and Australia's natural beauty. Plus he has vineyards down there.

Beautifully shot, unafraid of silence and slow pacing, it doesn't give you easy answers nor happy endings. Visually distinct, thoughtful and well worth a watch.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• smoothpete 31 Jan 2014 09:14:05 31,581 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    The Kings of Summer (now with M+K)
    Brilliant, charming, warm, heartfelt, honest, whimsical, absurd, clichéd, surreal, original, gorgeous.

It's Stand By me / The sandlot Kids / Brandon Chase / Dazed & Confused and a film all of its own. Classic coming of age story about some boys that run off into the woods to become men. Instead of being eaten by inbred cannibals or chased by an ancient wich they find adventure and joy in some of the most beautiful forrest scenery I've seen on film since... Price of Thieves maybe.

That alone is reason enough to see the film. It portrays nature the way I remember it from being a kid. A place to smash dried wood against ancient oaks, hunt furry critters and ruin your clothes.

And it's funny too. Laugh from the belly funny. Sure, it plays to the archetypes and sure there is one truly clichéd plot device I wish they could have found a way around.

But that doesn't matter. It steam rolls all my "let's pretend I'm Roger Egbert" aspirations with it's brute charm.

It is very much a guys film though. I wonder if there are any films like this made for gals.

A must see
    That sounds great! If I had millions of money, I would love to make a game set around the same kind of childhood forest adventure ideas
  • LeoliansBro 31 Jan 2014 09:29:38 44,512 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Like the Hunger Games?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Tonka 31 Jan 2014 11:33:54 20,820 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @LeoliansBro gLOL

Thankfully there is not a hint of Lord of the FLies in this film.

With some very minor editing one of the characters could be turned into the most chaotic Tyler Durden ever though so it has an edge to it. Well, a slightly edit version would have.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Mola_Ram 31 Jan 2014 11:45:09 7,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I would have liked that movie more if they had just gone all out and killed each other.
  • Tonka 31 Jan 2014 13:59:12 20,820 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm sure you would.

• Mola_Ram 31 Jan 2014 14:06:46 7,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's just what logically should happen
  • Tonka 31 Jan 2014 14:43:12 20,820 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For sure.
    I prefer the way it's completely illogical.

We are talking about the Hunger Games right?

Edited by Tonka at 15:13:44 31-01-2014

• jdanddiet 31 Jan 2014 15:06:36 8 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Aliens.
    Special Effects have aged a bit (there's some very obvious models and sets going on) but it is still awesome.

99.9/100

My Twitter handle: @wizwords
    Blog: www.jdanddiet.blogspot.com

• hal_inc 1 Feb 2014 07:26:57 138 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:

Oh God.

You gave The Heat a 2 out of 10?!

That was (one of) the FUNNIEST film I saw at the cinema last year
    yep, tons of fun and mccarthy nd bullock became close friends afterwards.

anyway.

HUSBANDS, by cassavetes.

unrateable, really. cinema history.

although of course you end up becoming yourself
    psn: orin_inc

• Maturin 1 Feb 2014 09:39:44 3,101 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    White House Down 7/10

Good silly fun. But you'd have to be mental to thing it was anywhere near as good as the first Die Hard.
  • glaeken 1 Feb 2014 13:16:04 11,226 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oblivion - 8/10 - I thought it was pretty good. Probably one of the better Sci-Fi films I have seen in a while though there has hardly been any competition recently. The only thing is I was expecting a twist the whole way through for some reason so that did not really work for me. It had some great design on a post apocalyptic earth which I loved.
  • monkehhh 1 Feb 2014 15:12:55 3,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    All Is Lost

Robert Redford (looking pretty damn tough for a 77 year-old) and, well, no-one else stars in a film about an unnamed yachtsman who gets in to a heap of trouble in the Indian Ocean. Bit Gravity, bit Life of Pi, bit Castaway - it has barely any dialogue and it's very good.

Totally in the mood for it, so 9/10.
  • consoledelight 1 Feb 2014 21:01:55 161 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Riddick - Extended Cut

Gotta love the Riddick films, loads of sci-fi tropes with plenty of action and plenty of blood. Not too dissimilar from pitch black in general, so if you liked it, you'll like this as well.

A proper popcorn film in the respect that you dont have to think about the story just watch it and enjoy.

Love the dog

8/10
  • TechnoHippy 1 Feb 2014 21:36:07 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones

I will admit that I didn't expect to like this film, in fact I'm surprised I watched it in the first place, however I'll also admit that I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed watching it. It's a teen movie with beautiful and tragic young creatures, one in particular finds herself drawing the same symbol over and over again and when her mother is attacked by demons she discovers that the world isn't what she thought and neither is she.

As I've already mentioned this is a teen movie and one based upon a familiar template, so we have smoldering looks, emo teenagers who don't fit in with the rest of the world and a supernatural that is glossier than it should be. Nothing too original you might think and of the face of it you'd be right, however it does have some good things going for it.

The first is that for a gang of attractive and emo youngsters they're actually not bad, sure there's a few moments where you roll your eyes, but the story gets going quickly and keeps moving all the way through. The second is that the support cast contains a number of well worn faces and add some depth to the film, don't get me wrong its fairly throw away entertainment, but entertaining nonetheless.

It's also a decent action film and while it does have the slightly glamorous supernatural side it also has its dark side and some of the demons are quite nasty and look pretty cool. So while its not a great movie, it was a fun watch.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• TechnoHippy 2 Feb 2014 15:43:08 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dark Skies

This a fun horror film based upon the greys visitation and abduction lore. The story is focused on a seemingly normal suburban family, times are hard with the father looking for work, leaving the mother to earn a living for the family. Strange things start happening, to begin with just odd and unsettling, but gradually these events become more sinister and focused on the younger of the two sons.

The story itself isn't anything particularly original and follows the pattern common with the grey's visitation reports. Although it is predictable there's a few small twists along the way to keep things interesting.

What the film does do well is the atmosphere, it builds a respectable sense of menace from the minor occurrences at the beginning to the dramatic conclusion. I like the fact that it plays the low key sinister approach rather than simply relying on shocks. Another aspect that worked for me (although could have been more developed) was the interaction with the regular agencies and how that helps define the family's response to the events.

Each of characters provides something useful to the film and even aid with some of misdirection that goes on, the other strength here are the greys themselves, while they do make a few appearances, it's not so often that they lose their impact.

Overall this is a solid and well put together horror film, well worth a watch.

7/10

• TechnoHippy 2 Feb 2014 17:19:46 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dead of Night

Dead of Night is a classic British horror film from the late 40's, it's fun watching old horror films (good ones at least!) that don't have the crutch of special effects and shock to rely on to get their chills. This is a good example of such a film, the format is familiar, mainly because it has been copied so many times since, but it is still effective.

The film tells the story of a man invited to a country home to do some work, when he arrives he realises that the house and the people he meets there have all featured in a recurring dream. They talk and each reveals their own tale of the supernatural, most are creepy, although one has a more whimsical tone.

Effectively this is four short films rolled into a longer format, each of the stories are interesting in their own right, for the most part they are based on more traditional tales, but they are told in a strong way and all achieved through solid performances from the cast. Ok, it might be a little theatrical for modern tastes, but I enjoyed it and it shows what can be done with the right performance and an interesting story.

Of the short stories, the last one with the ventriloquist's dummy was my favourite, it's a fine blend of crazy and spooky. It's an old film and it shows (it's black and white for starters :-) ), but that shouldn't matter as this is still a fine horror film.

8/10

• craigy Staff 2 Feb 2014 18:10:02 7,722 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Robot & Frank: 9/10

Lovely little movie.
  • TechnoHippy 2 Feb 2014 18:43:23 14,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @craigy

I enjoyed watching it, a good film.

• monkehhh 2 Feb 2014 20:33:45 3,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    The Spectacular Now - 8/10

Wonderfully surprising coming-of-age drama, following the "life and soul of the party" high schooler, who falls from grace breaking up with his top drawer girlfriend, and begins a relationship with a "nice" lass instead.

Unfortunately, his fall is more to do with his full-blown alcoholism and absolute denial....

Very well played, and maintains a pretty dark tone despite it's whimsy. Recommended.
    Had to hunt down the post that made me hunt down the film - really enjoyed this one, a great American teen movie.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2014 21:16:28
    Made In Dagenham

Enjoyable. A look at the collective of women working at a ford plant in the 1960;s wanting equal pay. Typically british really, but really watchable. Sally Hawken's performance is fantastic. Story goes is a bit trite in places, but the script is good, and it intentions are good.

7.5/10
  • captainrentboy 2 Feb 2014 21:47:40 1,024 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now you see me - 30%
    One of the most horrendously boring, big budget, movies I've watched in the last 5 yrs.
    It just went from one flashily directed, expensive looking, scene to the next, and I didn't give a shit about any of it.
    Why all of those decent actors signed on I'll never know.
    The characters, the plot, all of it was smelly old balls.
  • FWB 2 Feb 2014 22:39:41 44,847 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rush 8/10. Artistic license, but still very very good. Great shots, good pace. And Munn can do a British accent. Unusual for a yank.

Edited by FWB at 22:40:22 02-02-2014
  • CharlieStCloud 2 Feb 2014 22:46:36 5,288 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Now You See Me is genuinely probably the worse film I have seen in years.

... I cannot remember who, but someone gave this a 9/10 in this very thread and it actually INFURIATED me so much that I had to put my cup of Earl Grey down and left it to go cold.

: (
  • Nanocrystal 3 Feb 2014 03:01:43 1,073 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    12 Years a Slave - Made me cry/100
  • monkman76 3 Feb 2014 07:43:30 4,781 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Now You See Me is genuinely probably the worse film I have seen in years.

... I cannot remember who, but someone gave this a 9/10 in this very thread and it actually INFURIATED me so much that I had to put my cup of Earl Grey down and left it to go cold.
    : (
    I'm not sure I like this new angry Charlie. Bring back the old weepy one!

Edited by monkman76 at 07:44:02 03-02-2014
  • TheMayorOfJugs 3 Feb 2014 08:16:49 4,024 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    DEFCON 1
    DEFCON 2
    COLD EARL GREY
    DEFCON 3
  • Madder-Max 3 Feb 2014 08:25:22 11,660 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Robocop (original 1980s one) - 7/10

He eats baby food because he has a basic digestive function right? How does he poo then?

How does he know about the rape?

Its like watching a pilot for a tv series and ends rather abruptly.

What makes this brilliant though is the wit, humour and social commentary throughout; something I doubt we will see much of in the remake. Probably robocop fighting a bunch of lesser robots in an over extended action set piece.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• nickthegun 3 Feb 2014 08:29:24 60,506 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They cut the scene of him taking a crap because it takes away some of the mystique.

Just like in basic instinct where they cut out a scene of Sharon stone struggling with a two pounder.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Madder-Max 3 Feb 2014 08:33:57 11,660 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lol. Robochuds

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Page

of 2801 First / Last