Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2459

• Page

of 2863 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 24 Jan 2014 08:52:10 44,956 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Colour of Money, 1986 pool sharking sequel to The Hustler with Paul Newman and Tom Cruise. 8/10.

Stylistically very 'of its moment' with the grundge and grime and muted pallete of the 70s still not completely covered up by 80s gloss. A slightly garbled plot as well, one where the twists are surprising because you've lost track of what's really happening in the first place. But there's no getting away from the three central performances and especially Newman's study in authenticity and defiance. Yes the Hustler is a better film but this one is perhaps more accessible because Tom Cruise is now so familiar to us. And look, he can actually act, even if his character is basically 'Tom Cruise turned up to 11, with all the aspie red flags that comes with'.

Forest Whitaker as well, fuck me that's up there with Christopher Walken in True Romance for impact. Newman's roaring simian response is one of the most intense and honest scenes I've seen, seems that the 80s could do candour as well as anybody.

I did expect more from Mary Elisabeth Masterantonio's knockers, and less from her hips.

/ebay search for 'Balabushka'

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• sport 24 Jan 2014 08:56:05 12,811 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's "The Color of Money".
  • beastmaster 24 Jan 2014 09:01:25 11,992 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Another excellent Scorsese film.

Gravity (3d IMAX) - 8/10

Second viewing. I've not done this for a long time now but this is one of those films that needs to be experienced on a huge screen one more time. Doubt it'll have anywhere near the same impact watching at home. However, I'd love to see this with a director's commentary and a decent "making of" documentary.

The forced plot grates a bit more as does Bullock but it's not that bad. However, there's one scene that made me LOL after watching...THIS

Edit: Needs sound.

Edited by beastmaster at 09:04:23 24-01-2014

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Zomoniac 24 Jan 2014 11:37:16 7,980 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bad Boys

Didn't realise it was Michael Bay's first ever film. All gone a bit downhill since then. It's an enjoyable enough fast cars and shit blowing up sort of film, a few great quotable lines, and Tea Leoni. Nothing of particularly great artistic merit but good fun nonetheless.

78/100
  • Kosmoz 24 Jan 2014 18:57:53 7,768 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Starbuck or the French-canadian Delivery Man. 8/10

Funny, feel-good and no Vince Vaughn. What's not to like? The emo kid doesn't have the face to be a proper emo though.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• Trowel 24 Jan 2014 21:24:06 18,060 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Color of Money is about 3/10 when compared to the almost-as-good-as-The-Hustler, completely-different-to-the-movie novel.

/weeps for Minnesota Fats
  • captainrentboy 24 Jan 2014 21:55:00 1,107 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jack Ryan - 70%
    Keira Knightley's funny mouth distracts, as do Chris Pine's numerous blemishes and moles, but once I got over that, I found it pretty enjoyable.
    It's not particularly action packed mind, which was actually OK, as Branagh seems to have lost the ability to direct good action scenes between Thor and this.
    But all of the high tech spy shit is cool, and the bad guy's dastardly plans led to an interesting overall plot.
    It's always nice to see Costner doing good work too.
    Worth a watch then, just don't go expecting loads of shootouts and fisticuffs, because there's fuck all.

Edited by captainrentboy at 21:55:42 24-01-2014
  • skiplevels 24 Jan 2014 22:22:42 636 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    king of comedy is a good counterpart to the wolf of wall st

both deal w/similar themes but wolf of wall st deals with a difft kind of delusion: one that's accepted as the cultural norm
  • Khanivor 24 Jan 2014 23:29:56 41,261 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Because it's too good to keep in one thread:

8-bit Lebowski

• mrpon 24 Jan 2014 23:54:27 29,567 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Prisoners

Bloody hell this was harrowing. Thoroughly enjoyed it though, edge of my seat by the end. Superb performances from the two leads. Reminded me of Seven. Knock off a point if you don't have kids ;)

9/10

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Short-Round 25 Jan 2014 01:31:01 1,181 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Because it's too good to keep in one thread:

8-bit Lebowski

That cheered me up :)
  • sirtacos 25 Jan 2014 03:45:31 7,378 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Another excellent Scorsese film.

Gravity (3d IMAX) - 8/10

That deserves a spot in the joy nuggets thread.
  • karlo87 25 Jan 2014 04:20:45 1,695 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wolf on Wall Street, 7/10. Really enjoyed it, Leo was awesome as always. Some of the other cast was a bit hit and miss though. Shocked it was on for so long, felt shorter.

Her, 8/10. Phoenix is amazing the way he can carry scenes all by himself, and just the whole film was a visual joy to watch. Arcade Fire did a good job on the soundtrack too. Scary vision of the future though ;)

Damn that sorcerer! Twenty gold pieces and Im wankered on Rohypnol.

• Deleted user 25 January 2014 08:40:38
    Meet the millers.

Funny, Jennifer looks in good shape for her age. Gets a little stereotypical later on but doesn't stop it from being funny. Once scene had me crying from laughing too much.

Red2, kick ass 2 or cloud atlas tonight.
  • Tonka 25 Jan 2014 08:42:19 21,352 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @mrpon what's with the deduct a point IF you have children?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• evild_edd 25 Jan 2014 09:59:21 3,198 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Berbarian Sound Studio

Perhaps was expecting too much.

Wonderful atmosphere and an audio and visual treat, but.... I don't know... I'd have liked more of a story and something of a tangible ending. Just as the palpable, sinister ambiance started to build the credits rolled. Not every pic needs to spell out everything, but I found it unsatisfying.

Almost feels like they had the idea of the setting and built a half story around it, to justify the style.

Every chance I was a bit too tired to appreciate it though, and that I missed something.

6/10

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Phattso Moderator 25 Jan 2014 10:01:53 13,932 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    He said if you don't have kids. Which sort of makes sense; in a film about a child being abducted and all.

Because all us people without kids are inhuman fucktards who just laugh all the way through a film like that. Well, I know I do at least...
  • -cerberus- 25 Jan 2014 10:03:48 3,629 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Eve's Bayou

Great story & beautiful scenery but what an incredible borefest with piss-poor acting.

4/10

People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

• mrpon 25 Jan 2014 10:20:05 29,567 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Phattso :D

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• muttler 25 Jan 2014 15:00:30 4,287 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hummingbird

Decent action film with Jason Statham.

8/10
  • TechnoHippy 25 Jan 2014 18:10:46 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Insidious Chapter 2

I enjoyed the first film and the second is a decent sequel, it's far from the best horror film out there, but it is an entertaining watch. The story continues from the first film, but the family have moved into a new house, unfortunately strange occurrences and visitations continue to haunt them. Even more troubling is the fact that the father may not have returned from the other world, but something more sinister has taken his place.

As I said I enjoyed this sequel, it continues the story in an interesting and entertaining fashion. The production values are high and everyone does a good job with their roles.

The main flaw with the film is that it takes the ghost train approach of using sudden movements and loud noises to scare the audience. While it does this reasonably effectively I personally prefer a more considered approach of creepiness and tension. The shame here is that the film does go someway to building a sinister atmosphere, but then shatters it with a sudden bump.

Still the film is what it is and that is a well made shock horror that is a fun watch, although if you didn't enjoy the first film then you're unlikely to enjoy this one.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• DisappointedDunceky 25 Jan 2014 18:17:08 154 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Choppi wrote:
    Meet the millers.

Funny, Jennifer looks in good shape for her age. Gets a little stereotypical later on but doesn't stop it from being funny. Once scene had me crying from laughing too much.

Red2, kick ass 2 or cloud atlas tonight.
    If you mean "We're the the Millers" , and Jennifer's family name is Aniston, you totally misled me.
  • Tonka 25 Jan 2014 18:46:33 21,352 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    He said if you don't have kids. Which sort of makes sense; in a film about a child being abducted and all.

Because all us people without kids are inhuman fucktards who just laugh all the way through a film like that. Well, I know I do at least...
    I re read it thrice. My dyslexia is worsening.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• JoeBlade 25 Jan 2014 19:51:46 2,637 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Prometheus

Either the shitstorm surrounding this flick was trolling, overanalysis or not living up to unrealistic, gargantuan expectations because I thorougly enjoyed it.
    Nothing revolutionary for sure but a solid flick nonetheless: entertaining, tense, well made and well acted; it ticked all the boxes as far as I'm concerned. I don't see what all the loose ends or plot holes everyone was on about are supposed to be either, extreme nitpicking notwithstanding.

This film fits its purpose as an Alien prequel adequately as well IMO (though one could obviously debate whether Alien needed a prequel)
    Granted, there's still a bit of a gap between Prometheus' ending and Alien's beginning but nothing a tiny bit of suspension of disbelief can't solve. It's not exactly a glaring contradiction.

8/10
  • Khanivor 25 Jan 2014 19:56:07 41,261 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It may have had something to do with the probability that any of the crew could have been outsmarted by the teenagers in AvP2. Among a litany of other travesties.

Looked and sounded nice though.
  • JoeBlade 25 Jan 2014 21:49:38 2,637 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ghostbusters 2

Yes I'm on a bit of a film binge :) One from the golden 80's era still worth the watch although it doesn't have a patch on the original. The story meanders at times, the looming evil doesn't seem as menacing as it should and both the romance and the cheesy ending are occasionally cringeworthy.
    But hey, it's Ghostbusters.

6.5/10
  • RichieTenenbaum 25 Jan 2014 21:51:20 2,228 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Act Of Killing.

Giving it a score is demeaning. Quite frankly, it's an incredible film. Don't want to say too much. Go into it blind, but find the time to watch it
  • Deleted user 25 January 2014 22:15:33
    This is 40.

Depressing shit.

3/10.
  • Tom_Servo 25 Jan 2014 22:35:05 18,082 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mitt - 5/10

A documentary-maker follows Mitt Romney's two Presidential runs for Netflix, and while gaining phenomenal access also leaves quite a bit to be desired.

This is covering six years and yet it's only 90 minutes long, and as a result significant chunks of time are missed out. We see clips of Romney's family saying they couldn't do another run after he lost the Republican nomination to McCain, but all of a sudden it's a few years later and we're going again? I struggle to believe there wasn't a goldmine of footage to be had from those discussions. There's also an acknowledgement, but no discussion of, the "47%" leaked speech. The incredible access (the camera is rolling on election night as they're writing his concession speech, for example) may well explain this though.

Watching it it's hard not to think that Romney is a decent guy, even if I disagree with him politically (unlike Paul Ryan IMHO who makes a brief appearance near the end and comes across as, well, an insincere twat). It's difficult not to empathise with him to some degree and his obvious complex about living up to his dad's incredibly high standards.

If you're into US politics it's probably worth 90 minutes of your time, but don't expect to come away with any great insights apart from "Oh, maybe some right-wingers aren't monsters after all".
  • -cerberus- 25 Jan 2014 23:21:26 3,629 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Tom_Servo Have a look at Bob Roberts.

People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

• Page

of 2863 First / Last