Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2448

• Page

of 2774 First / Last

• Dougs 13 Jan 2014 09:50:25 68,061 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rush - 8/10. Really enjoyed this, looked lovely, Howard captured the feel of the 70s, race scenes were really well done and I thought the casting was spot on (even if Hemsworth's Aussie accent come through occasionally). Great stuff. Would love to know how much of the story was artistic licence though.
  • LeoliansBro 13 Jan 2014 10:21:27 44,420 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I loved that film, shame they never drove the racecars faster than about 30mph though (one sizzling sequence at the Nurburgring aside).

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• captainrentboy 13 Jan 2014 10:40:57 1,003 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Her (Dirty, smelly downloaded copy) - 9/10
    Absolutely fantastic.
    Joaquin Phoenix is brilliant in this, I kinda forgot what a great actor he can be, due to all that shit he was pulling a few years back.
    There's no point going into the plot as it's been mentioned already, but the way it all panned out left me pretty bloody emotional by the end of it.
    Quite surprised that it seems to have gone so unnoticed by the various award bodies out there.
  • DisappointedDunceky 13 Jan 2014 10:41:24 154 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @nickthegun Address me as whatever you want, but I mean something by "disappointed dunceky"
  • Load_2.0 13 Jan 2014 10:45:29 19,358 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great, another re-reg with an inflated sense of self importance.
  • nickthegun 13 Jan 2014 10:46:15 60,159 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DisappointedDunce wrote:
    @nickthegun Address me as whatever you want, but I mean something by "disappointed dunce"
    Ok, then.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Steve_Perry 13 Jan 2014 10:50:08 4,335 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    captainrentboy wrote:
    Her (Dirty, smelly downloaded copy) - 9/10
    Absolutely fantastic.
    Joaquin Phoenix is brilliant in this, I kinda forgot what a great actor he can be, due to all that shit he was pulling a few years back.
    There's no point going into the plot as it's been mentioned already, but the way it all panned out left me pretty bloody emotional by the end of it.
    Quite surprised that it seems to have gone so unnoticed by the various award bodies out there.
    He is one of, if not the best actor in the world imo. I haven't seen Her yet, but I watched The Master recently which he was fantastic in.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• StixxUK 13 Jan 2014 11:09:47 7,256 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dragon Eyes (Netflix)

Some bad people got beaten up by a good person and he kicked them through lots of windows and furniture and it was shit.

40/100
  • Wavey 13 Jan 2014 11:51:54 387 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I watched End of Days on tv last night. Having seen it before, I was shocked at how bad it was. Could have sworn it was better than that!

20/100
  • hax1 13 Jan 2014 13:00:15 16 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Just watched the Wolf of Wall Street

9/10

Amazing story / DeCaprio and Jonah Hill do a great job. Bit long but loved it
  • kingnothing12 13 Jan 2014 14:19:25 569 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wolf of wall street (dirty pirate edition)

9/10

Scorsese's best in years and also his funniest. Dicaprio is brilliant as Jordan Belfort.
    Who'd have thought the fat annoying kid from Superbad would be acting alongside Brad Pitt, Leo etc and being directed by one of the greats. Not only that but he is also on top form and one of the best characters in the film.
  • liamkennethmilburn1 13 Jan 2014 14:28:07 7 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @Maturin Gemma Arterton is always great ;)
  • Punctum 13 Jan 2014 14:45:52 937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    liamkennethmilburn1 wrote:
    @Maturin Gemma Arterton is always great ;)
    And often naked, which is nice.
  • Stickman 13 Jan 2014 15:15:21 29,666 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Galaxy of Terror - 6/10.
    Generous, to say the least. If it wasn't for the slug rape scene, then it would have vanished down the u-bend like the massive turd it is.

Do yourself a favour and YouTube that scene (and possibly the one where Joanie Happydays' head explodes and save yourself from losing an hour and a half of your life.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• kingnothing12 13 Jan 2014 15:28:59 569 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    kingnothing12 wrote:
    Who'd have thought the fat annoying kid from Superbad would be acting alongside Brad Pitt
    Almost impossible to imagine! Oh wait no it's not
    Can't quite tell if there's a hint of sarcasm in your post.
  • DisappointedDunceky 13 Jan 2014 18:55:49 154 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Reign Over Me

The story of a heart-broken man who has lost his wife and daughters in 9/11.
    Impossible-to-forget performance by Adam Sandler.Far above his comic performances.
    Only thing is, the music really doesn't accompany the tragic atmosphere in the film.

90/100
  • MatMan562 13 Jan 2014 20:53:41 2,475 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Over the last few days I've re-watched the Dark Knight Trilogy. Think I'd give each movie 9/10, I really like them but they take themselves too seriously for me to truly love them.

I was wondering if anyone could answer a question watching them raised for me though. On the Batman Begins blu-ray there is a special feature of the intro to the Dark Night (the bank sequence) in an Imax format where it's full-screen and looks amazing. Throughout both The Dark Night and The Dark Night Rises it constantly changes between that and the traditional wide-screen format, at one point the sound quality seemed to get worse when it changed to widescreen but I could have imagined that. Why can't they film the whole thing, and why can't other movies use it at all, in "full-screen"/ Imax mode? Is it a cost thing or something else? There seemed to be a link with outside shots using it nearly all the time and inside shots hardly ever using it so I wondered if it was to do with lighting or something like that.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable on this sort of thing but it really made a big difference for the better on the scenes that used the better shots and I'd love it if every film was filmed in that way! Maybe when 4K becomes more commonplace?

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• beastmaster 13 Jan 2014 21:17:11 11,450 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    12 Years A Slave - 9/10

One of the few films I've seen which stays with you for some time after you've seen it.

The story follows Solomon Northup, a free black man from New York who's abducted and sold into slavery. What's incredible is that it's based on a true story and this sort of thing was commonplace at the time.

The performances from everyone involved are brilliant. Even Bard Pitt doesn't do too bad although his role is brief albeit very important to the story.

The film pulls no punches and depicts the way slaves were treated in what seems like an honest way. It's brutal, savage and at times, almost unwatchable.

If there's one thing that's not quite right with the film it's the depiction of the passage of time. In that, there doesn't seem to be any. I know the film focuses on certain events but it seems to all happen over one summer. There's no changing seasons, no ageing of the characters via make up or anything which alludes to the fact the events took place over 12 years, apart from a brief scene towards the end.

That's just nitpicking though. A magnificent drama that's worthy of the praise it's currently getting.

Seven Samurai - 10/10

Kurosawa's cinematic masterpiece is every bit as majestic now as it was then. I watched the BFI Blu-Ray which has lovingly restored the film and added a lot of extras.

I'm not sure if it's as good as the Criterion blu-ray but this is the only way you'll get to enjoy the film unless you have a region free Blu-ray player.

The plot flows some desperate villagers, who are constantly under attack from bandits. They hire some unemployed samurai to defend themselves.

Every single character is memorable within this film especially the samurai themselves. The performances are superb and they are the usual mixed bunch of reluctant heroes. The transformation of the farmers from cowards to something resembling proud warriors is done exceptionally well.

Cinematography, music and sound are world class as are the action scenes. The siege against the village is genuinely epic and the final rain and mud soaked battle is, for me, one of the best action set pieces ever created.

With a running time of 3.5 hours, it's a film that builds characters and takes it time in telling the story. Truly magnificent.

Killing Season - 1.5/10

Just utter shit. Avoid.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• captainrentboy 13 Jan 2014 23:33:47 1,003 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @MatMan562
    From what I've seen on the 'making of' special features, filming in 'proper' Imax is extremely cumbersome, the camera is friggin massive, making it harder to manoeuvre into the required shots. (The cameras themselves also cost a bomb)
    It also produces reams and reams of film, which also looked like a nightmare to manage.
  • Megapocalypse 13 Jan 2014 23:48:12 5,443 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fast and Furious 6 - 8/10

Getting a little silly (even for this series) and full of plot holes but still tonnes of fun. Not many film series can still say that at number 6. Roll on number 7.
  • MatMan562 14 Jan 2014 00:25:29 2,475 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    captainrentboy wrote:
    @MatMan562
    From what I've seen on the 'making of' special features, filming in 'proper' Imax is extremely cumbersome, the camera is friggin massive, making it harder to manoeuvre into the required shots. (The cameras themselves also cost a bomb)
    It also produces reams and reams of film, which also looked like a nightmare to manage.
    Ahh, fair enough. That's a shame, hopefully soon the technology will improve and become cheaper so it becomes the standard. Thanks for the info!

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Gemeo 14 Jan 2014 00:43:43 242 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Inception

10/10
  • Mr_Sleep 14 Jan 2014 00:59:56 17,097 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Megapocalypse wrote:
    Fast and Furious 6 - 8/10

Getting a little silly (even for this series) and full of plot holes but still tonnes of fun. Not many film series can still say that at number 6. Roll on number 7.
    It'll be interesting to see if it happens considering Paul Walker's passing.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Mola_Ram 14 Jan 2014 01:18:42 7,447 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Galaxy of Terror - 6/10.
    Generous, to say the least. If it wasn't for the slug rape scene, then it would have vanished down the u-bend like the massive turd it is.

Do yourself a favour and YouTube that scene (and possibly the one where Joanie Happydays' head explodes and save yourself from losing an hour and a half of your life.
    I dunno, I thought the film looked alright visually.

I've wasted more than an hour and a half on far worse films. These days something like this would probably go on for at least an hour longer.
  • damagedinc 14 Jan 2014 04:18:27 790 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    captainrentboy wrote:
    @MatMan562
    Ahh, fair enough. That's a shame, hopefully soon the technology will improve and become cheaper so it becomes the standard. Thanks for the info!
    Its partly that and the fact its so loud, virtually impossible to do diologue scenes with it.

The reason its different screen size at home is don to the aspect ratio. Its a shame isnt it.
  • mal 14 Jan 2014 04:30:47 22,608 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Digital should help with the noise and size problems though (if not the weight issue). I guess it's just cause IMAX is such an old standard that it's still film based.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• RobAnybody 14 Jan 2014 09:09:36 902 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    IMAX cameras are also EXTREMELY noisy, so it's impossible to record any anything coming out of the actors' mouths.
  • kalel 14 Jan 2014 09:13:02 87,933 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, when I see a film like Gravity or Pacific Rim in Imax, have they not actually been filmed with Imax cameras?

Because I can't say I noticed any difference.
  • imamazed 14 Jan 2014 09:17:21 5,727 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The iceman

Ok, fairly lightweight, and not without its flaws, but I actually really enjoyed it. Whilst it was never truly believable, some of the performances were great - even Winona Ryder did her best with a typically underwritten wife role. Oh, and hello Ross from friends.

7/10
  • Page

of 2774 First / Last