Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2399

• Page

of 2588 First / Last

• CharlieStCloud 8 Dec 2013 09:35:00 4,677 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Anthony Hopkins also fails to break his streak of delivering every line like he needs a shit.
    Ha ha!

: )

... the best parts of the film is when Loki was in the spotlight. Whoever chose Tom Hiddleston during the audition and casting should be given a nice hefty bonus.
  • Max_Powers 8 Dec 2013 10:46:44 1,065 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa 8/10

For someone who has hated all tv-comedy to film adaptations ever, I thought this was a success. Some good laughs.
  • Gemeo 8 Dec 2013 10:48:39 218 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Vanilla Sky

10/10
  • khaz 8 Dec 2013 11:20:48 2,573 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    @sport read Edge ;-)
    Eurogamer's even better.

"Type it up like a 5, give it a 8."
  • Tomo 8 Dec 2013 11:55:33 13,841 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @sport

:D

Was waiting for that. Hook, line and sinker!
  • Gemeo 8 Dec 2013 11:56:23 218 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    From Dusk Till Dawn

9/10
  • TechnoHippy 8 Dec 2013 12:46:44 14,640 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Event Horizon

Event Horizon is a shining example of sci-fi horror. An experimental ship dissapears and then mysteriously reappears so a search and rescue ship is sent to investigate, along with the crew the research scientist who invented the ship's drive for the Event Horizon is present. When they reach the ship they discover an unexpected horror.

For me the film works well as both a science fiction and a horror story. For the science fiction you get some wonderful scenes of the solar system and of micro gravity (in fairness the effects do look a little dated in this respect, but still do their job). It also works by not just being a horror set in space, the horror comes because it is space and the setting itself adds peril to the mission.

The horror is strong by blending a mix of personal, psychological horror with good visual and more visceral scenes. It works on an individual level for the characters drawing upon their fears and the degeneration into madness, particuarly in Sam Neil's character's case. The technology of the ship also enhances this brutal aspect, the drive itself looks more like a device of medieval torture rather than esoteric technology.

The pacing of the film is spot on, it doesn't take long to get going and keeps providing something new to keep you interested. The cast is small and allows you to get to know each of the cgharacters and the different aspects they feed into the story.

Overall this is an excellent watch and highly recommended.

9/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Khanivor 8 Dec 2013 13:11:28 39,891 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Then there's the last act where everyone gets the stupid and do things to progress the plot, not because they are the actions of someone smart enough to walk and chew gum at the same time.
  • Gambit1977 8 Dec 2013 13:30:55 9,563 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AKA the Prometheus effect.
  • TOOTR 8 Dec 2013 14:28:44 9,473 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Prisoners

Grim tale this one eh?

Solid thriller.

80%

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• BinaryBob101 8 Dec 2013 14:43:28 21,966 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gemeo wrote:
    Vanilla Sky

10/10
    Nah, watch the original.

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• vijay_UK 8 Dec 2013 14:56:04 1,672 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Event Horizon

Event Horizon is a shining example of sci-fi horror. An experimental ship dissapears and then mysteriously reappears so a search and rescue ship is sent to investigate, along with the crew the research scientist who invented the ship's drive for the Event Horizon is present. When they reach the ship they discover an unexpected horror.

For me the film works well as both a science fiction and a horror story. For the science fiction you get some wonderful scenes of the solar system and of micro gravity (in fairness the effects do look a little dated in this respect, but still do their job). It also works by not just being a horror set in space, the horror comes because it is space and the setting itself adds peril to the mission.

The horror is strong by blending a mix of personal, psychological horror with good visual and more visceral scenes. It works on an individual level for the characters drawing upon their fears and the degeneration into madness, particuarly in Sam Neil's character's case. The technology of the ship also enhances this brutal aspect, the drive itself looks more like a device of medieval torture rather than esoteric technology.

The pacing of the film is spot on, it doesn't take long to get going and keeps providing something new to keep you interested. The cast is small and allows you to get to know each of the cgharacters and the different aspects they feed into the story.

Overall this is an excellent watch and highly recommended.

9/10
    Yeah, very good this. A real lost in space film, with just enough space hardware on show. Would like to see more movies like this, not the CGI-no brains required-slam bam shit that gets chucked at the audience.
  • Trowel 8 Dec 2013 15:00:05 16,857 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Saving Mr Banks - 5/10

I gave it a fair chance and tried to look past the obvious Oscar baiting, but it puzzles me as to why the movie was even made. The parallels evident (or at least, presented) between the two fathers is the main reason, but it's not nearly enough to lend sufficient importance or interest in the story. Overall it tugs a few heart strings at the right time, but spends too much time passing the ordinary off as extraordinary.

Emma Thompson is convincing enough, but really annoying in the English eccentricities she forces on Mrs Travers (not to mention the way the film dwells and has its characters reflect on these - "English flag" my arse). Tom Hanks is a natural fit for Disney and plays it well, though the film is as one-sided in his portrayal as you'd expect. Giamatti aside, the support seemed badly cast and a little fluffy. Worth staying after the end of the film for the historical montage and tape reel clips in the credits.

One good thing is it did make me remember how much I enjoyed watching Mary Poppins as a kid, which was a staple part of Christmas for a good few years; used to love the dark part of the movie, around feeding the birds and the trip to the bank.
  • beastmaster 8 Dec 2013 17:46:35 10,179 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The World's End - 7.5/10

Despite being the weakest film of the Cornetto trilogy, there's still a lot of fun to be had watching this film. Although the last 15 minutes tries to mercilessly kill all the goodwill built up by the film.

The plot follows 5 friends who reunite and re-attempt an epic pub crawl from 20 years ago, back in their home town. Once here, they find out that nothing is what it seems.

The film has got a fantastic British cast throughout and the dialogue is what you'd expect from writers Pegg and Wright. The first part of the film before they get to Newton Haven is the best part. Just 5 friends having a laugh and taking the piss.

Once they get to Newton Haven and the plot kicks in, things take a slight tumble. The dialogue is still pretty funny and it's great to see Frost kick ass. It's just good, dumb fun but the last 15 minutes of the film are incredibly poor.

Some nice cameo appearances throughout the whole film too. Just don't go expecting too much and you'll enjoy it a lot. Excellent soundtrack too.

Oldboy (2013) - 1.5/10

Spike Lee's remake of Park Chan-wook's classic South Korean thriller is so biblically bad, it's almost a must-see film.

The central concept is the same as the original. This time though, the central character is imprisoned for 20 years without explanation and then just as suddenly released. He then goes on to try and find out who did this and why.

It beggars belief as to what kind of direction Lee was giving his actors. Most of the performances are so OTT it's almost pantomime. Brolin, Jackson and Copley are truly horrendous.

The plot has been changed a little here and there but the film is just so bad anyway, that doesn't really matter. It's also has all the subtlety of a sledgehammer being constantly banged against your head. Lee opts for violence wherever possible and although this doesn't bother me, on this occasion it bored me to tears.

There's an extended fight sequence in this film which is truly comical and is probably worth the price of admission alone. Ryse: Son of Rome has more believable fight sequences that this one.

Is there anything good in this film at all? Elizabeth Olsen seems to be the only one to come out of this film with any dignity. Having said that, she does look sensational naked.

Edited by beastmaster at 17:49:29 08-12-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Soton4084 8 Dec 2013 19:01:58 70 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @TechnoHippy

I absolutely love Event Horizon! It's a fantastic film which was very underrated when it was first released.
  • khaz 8 Dec 2013 20:09:51 2,573 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Under Siege 2

The 100% dedication to its utter stupidity results in outstanding entertainment. Shame so many action films today are po faced "serious" affairs.

Edited by khaz at 20:11:04 08-12-2013
  • TechnoHippy 8 Dec 2013 20:14:41 14,640 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bullet to the Head

Over the years I've enjoyed watching Stallone in action, his films are rarely masterpieces but they are generally entertaining and this proved no exception. In this action thriller he plays an assassin (naturally one with a code) who is double crossed after a hit. He teams up with a cop to find who set him up, it turns into a bit of a buddy movie at that point.

The action is good and considering his age Stallone still has some good moves (I know good camera work helps, so don't burst my bubble!), it's fast paced from start to finish. The humour isn't quite as strong, there's continued sparring between the two leads which for the most part works, but occasionally falls a bit flat.

A good action film needs a suitable bad guy and Jason Momoa provides just that, he's not the head honcho, more the muscle. He has the bulk and the moves and while he has the warrior look, he doesn't quite make the bad guy in this. I can't quite put my finger on why, I think it's because it looks like he's having fun all the way through it.

Still that is forgiven for the end fight, there needs to be more battles with axes. Like the rest of the film it was great fun to watch.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• ProfessorLesser 8 Dec 2013 20:27:05 19,349 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gravity - 9.5/10

I don't even see the controversy. Stunning, gripping, terrifying portrayal of a very real world that I will never see or know. But people do.

It only loses half a mark for Bullock's nano-tech lungs and the convenient landing site. I'm not really that bothered, it is a story after all.
  • Raiko101 8 Dec 2013 20:45:42 5,541 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thor - 3/5

I'm not all too interested in comic-book films. I don't rate any of the Spider-man films too highly, or the Hulk ones, but I gave this one a watch with the family recently and was pleasantly surprised. The action scenes were great and there were some genuinely funny moments. The story, however, feels too squashed in and too rushed.

I don't quite understand how Thor and Natalie Portman could fall in love so quickly, having spent little more than 2 days together. That and Thor gets an easy release from detention, having assaulted a dozen armed guards in a restricted area, just hours before.

Those are minor complaints, but I get the feeling that this plot could have been expanded on over the course of an entire TV series. The extra detail would have made the whole thing a lot more interesting.

Edited by Raiko101 at 20:46:04 08-12-2013

Edited by Raiko101 at 20:46:35 08-12-2013

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Deleted user 8 December 2013 21:54:19
    Terminator (1984) 10/10
    (The Terminator)

10/10 as it's in my Top 10 films of all time. I never grow bored of the fabulous intro. Then there's Sarah Conner, i've always had a crush on her. Arnold Schwarzenegger has never been cast as well as he is here. The role suites his limited talent well.

The Blu-ray looks great. It makes my original Vhs look like a 5th generation bootleg. There's tons of detail, and colour is vibrant especially during the daytime scenes. As funny as it might sound, during the scene near the start of the film, where Arnold walks naked towards the 3 punks, his cock swings about quite clearly. It's not something i've noticed before.
  • Deleted user 8 December 2013 22:00:13
    @TechnoHippy hell yes, I think my favourite ever horror. I was so scared in the cinema, think I was probably only about 15. 10.
  • cheeky_prawnking 8 Dec 2013 22:12:42 3,798 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Which 15.10? That's quite accurate
  • Deleted user 8 December 2013 22:26:30
    15 years old, 10 out of 10 film. :)
  • arsenalherd 8 Dec 2013 22:54:19 90 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    American History X 9/10. Just love watching this film
  • Gemeo 8 Dec 2013 22:54:28 218 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Gemeo wrote:
    Vanilla Sky

10/10
    Nah, watch the original.
    I did. And you're right. ;)
  • Megapocalypse 9 Dec 2013 07:36:34 5,228 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    After Earth - 4/10

Looked nice but ultimately boring and stupid.
  • CharlieStCloud 9 Dec 2013 07:44:09 4,677 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I paid 12 to go and see After Earth.

... sometimes it does pay to read a couple of reviews beforehand.

Felt like I was a victim of daylight robbery, albeit in a cinema.

Sad thing is, the showing I went to see was almost full save for a few scattered seats here and there.

Its the 'Will Smith' factor, I guess.
  • MadCaddy13 9 Dec 2013 07:46:05 1,840 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The 'Jaden Smith Factor' was what completely turned me away from that film. I even turned it down watching it for free.
  • Deckard1 9 Dec 2013 08:16:03 25,414 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Open Grave

Caught this in a little Malaysian movie theater in Kuala Lumpur. The guy from District 9 wakes up in a pit full of dead bodies with amnesia. Is rescued by a bunch of people who also have amnesia. They all try to figure out what the fuck is going. Becomes pretty obvious whats happened about half way through, but its a pretty clever twist on a well worn theme. Best to go in without knowing anything about it.

7/10

Called it

• kalel 9 Dec 2013 08:54:58 83,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    Gravity - 9.5/10

I don't even see the controversy. Stunning, gripping, terrifying portrayal of a very real world that I will never see or know. But people do.

It only loses half a mark for Bullock's nano-tech lungs and the convenient landing site. I'm not really that bothered, it is a story after all.
    I think it's funny how people had an issue with her luck right at the end with the landing site, yet don't have any issue with the catalogue of unrelenting bad luck she has up to that point. I felt she was due a bit of luck by the end.
  • Page

of 2588 First / Last