Registered 7 years ago
    I saw Roger Rabbit at the cinema

/eats Werthers
  • neil74 6 Dec 2013 21:17:18 2,306 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Dark Knight Rises (again)

Bloody tremendous film, just awesome.

I don't give 10s but this would be pretty close for me.
  • oceanmotion 6 Dec 2013 21:28:59 16,123 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What do you rate the first two ?

Didn't like Rises. Many parts were downright awful like every fight scene. The story and series of events were ridiculous. Worst death acting ever.
  • neil74 6 Dec 2013 21:50:58 2,306 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think 'begins' would please the critics more but I just loved rises. Loved the comeback theme and could not help but grin when he duffed Bain up at the end .

I've not enjoyed a film more in years.
  • MrE26 6 Dec 2013 22:42:50 1,980 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Only God Forgives. - 2/10

I loved Drive, but this was just dogshit.
  • Pinky_Floyd 6 Dec 2013 23:25:54 8,313 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Harry Brown.  A real surprise, in a good way.  I thought it was brilliant and Michael Caine an utter joy to watch.

9/10
  • vijay_UK 6 Dec 2013 23:28:33 2,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    neil74 wrote:
    I think 'begins' would please the critics more but I just loved rises. Loved the comeback theme and could not help but grin when he duffed Bain up at the end .

I've not enjoyed a film more in years.
    Same here, I thought TDKR was utterly brilliant, totally captivating. A great way to end the trilogy, and I'm not sure Batman could be rebooted again.
  • Deleted user 6 December 2013 23:38:49
    The worlds end

As different to Shaun and hot fuzz as hot fuzz was to Shaun. If that makes any sense. Fuzz to me was the absolute pinnacle and with this I felt that... I dunno. It didn't seem as well written? Or something. Lines that would have been hilarious uttered by the characters in the previous two films were rendered barely smirk-worthy here.

That said, I still very much enjoyed it and for me had a poignancy about it not found in the other two.

The weakest of the three then, but still very very good. Nice to see so many familiar faces.

• Deleted user 7 December 2013 01:12:25
    Superman: Man of Steel (19/100)

When you take away all the identical special fx moments you'll have seen in recent mediocre blockbuster films(Avatar, Star trek, Clash of the Titans, Transformers and Other DC/Marvel Super Hero and possibly Riddick/Matrix films) you'll be aware you are watching an extremely poor quality and badly written film that has nothing to do with the man of steel.

The film is significantly bad enough to be considered much less enjoyable than the justifiably maligned Superman IV. Man of steel could have been given any other name by just removing the superman props with naming conventions and would have been logically a better film for it.

At the heart of what's wrong with this film, is that it looks to have been the product of executives studying consumer viewing responses to other blockbuster films; what parts captured the audiences attention in other films? Quick lets include that and doubling down with more of those identical set pieces packed in one film. So Man of Steel isn't like a film produced by a top director that has a distinct vision and wanted every element of the film to be built from scratch to represent their vision of this coveted IP that is Superman. Singer on the previous outing was unlucky that he'd chosen a comic that wouldn't perfectly translate over from comic and was equally unlucky to be forced to get the film out due to budget issues in a toxic economic climate. Never the less Superman returns has many expertly executed and custom one offs that mean it will endure for 30years like the Superman Reeves films have. Where as man of steel is like the Clash of the Titans remake. It already looks awful.

The cast in man of steel looks equal odd imo. As the recognizable faces result in giving the entire world a feeling like it has about as 60 people in it, and that the world is really just some tiny selection of places in America. That's not to say that actors didn't try to do the best they could with such rubbish dialogue and writing. But the harsh reality is that none of them will have acted in a worse film than the man of steel. If I knew then what I know now I would have happily saved the £5 I paid for the download rental and made this the first Superman film I passed on. It is an embarrassment to WB and the Superman franchise.
  • Gambit1977 7 Dec 2013 06:22:39 10,384 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @vizzini Laurence fishburne was in Predators
    and Henry Cavill - the cold light of day.

Edited by Gambit1977 at 06:25:24 07-12-2013
  • CharlieStCloud 7 Dec 2013 09:00:05 5,526 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The more I think about the Man of Steel, the more merrierly shit it becomes.

... although I still think the childhood years with the young kid and Kevin Costner were actually rather good.

If only the film kept to that standard of quality and style of the way those scenes were filmed.

The first time I watched this trailer at the cinema, I actually felt incredibly excited about the film, but alas, it was not to be.

: (

• Deleted user 7 December 2013 11:44:56
    I thought man of steel was fantastic. In the imax and having my eyeballs blown apart.

However my mate saw it on standard blu ray since and he reckons that taking the imax factor out brings it down drastically. So much so that he went from two viewings in the imax and loving it to now barely even liking it.

So I reckon I'm going to give it a miss on standard and keep my happy imax memories. Obviously holds up better as an Imax experience than an actual decent film.
  • thelzdking 7 Dec 2013 14:36:53 4,413 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Death Race 2000 - 7/10

I always knew that this film was tongue-in-cheek, but I didn't think it would be quite so satirical.

Edited by thelzdking at 14:39:01 07-12-2013
  • Tonka 7 Dec 2013 15:34:27 21,345 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Gambit1977 how was he? Still seeing that red head?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Gambit1977 7 Dec 2013 15:57:30 10,384 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tonka he was fighting with the ticket office as they would accept samolians
  • neil74 7 Dec 2013 16:19:41 2,306 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I did not think MOS was too bad, a good solid 7/10 IMO
  • Madder-Max 7 Dec 2013 16:54:54 11,687 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Safehouse - 7/10

Solid enough denzel washington flick about CIA backstabbiness and him as the smartest guy in the room.....again.

Ryan reynolds plays a cia blokey who really is in the wrong job as he is completely incompetent but a great driver but he has a fit bird but no boobage on show unfortunately.

Btw MOS gets shittier in retrospect every time I think about it and Returns was just glum.

Edited by Madder-Max at 16:56:30 07-12-2013

99 problems and being ginger is one

• ProfessorLesser 7 Dec 2013 23:06:18 19,417 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Saving Mr. Banks - 9/10

Lovely film, like watching the history of history itself - I can't imagine a time before I knew Mary Poppins, and learning how she came to be is quite the eye-opener. Music from your childhood tinkles across your brain often without you even realising, and you get an odd suspicion that even those touching moments in the film which AREN'T direct references to Mary Poppins are subtle nods to other classic Disney moments.

Disney certainly has a lot to answer for in terms of stereotypes and clichés and teaching children some dubious logic at times, but it's interesting that so much of the emotional spectrum can be epitomised by examples drawn from the Disney repertoire.
  • BinaryBob101 7 Dec 2013 23:37:02 24,411 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• BinaryBob101 7 Dec 2013 23:37:02 24,411 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Open Grave - 8/10

A real surprise this, don't read anything about it, just watch.

Sharlto Copley is toned down a little, the plot twists and turns in pretty cool directions.

Big fun with corpses will be had.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• BinaryBob101 7 Dec 2013 23:39:58 24,411 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fixed

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Punctum 7 Dec 2013 23:54:48 1,043 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    What do you rate the first two ?

Didn't like Rises. Many parts were downright awful like every fight scene. The story and series of events were ridiculous. Worst death acting ever.
    Yeh, awful.

Odd, as she's a pretty good actress.
  • Punctum 7 Dec 2013 23:58:27 1,043 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Alpha Papa - 8/10

Pleasantly surprised as a few of the reviews on here were quite critical.

Not as good as the TV shows but more than enough laughs to justify its existence.

/nasal whistles
  • Tomo 7 Dec 2013 23:59:29 13,980 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gravity - 10/10

Not perfect, but absolutely stunning. 3D IMAX is a must. I thought I might be sick during the first 10 minutes the effects were so good. Soundtrack was amazing too.
  • Soton4084 8 Dec 2013 00:32:20 73 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - 8/10

A very good film, with superb performances from Carrey and Winslet. Only let down by a few weird moments in the film which seemed a bit out of place and silly. However, these were limited and the film had a great storyline and finale.
  • thelzdking 8 Dec 2013 01:03:35 4,413 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Third Man - 9/10

It lives up to the hype.
  • Dougs 8 Dec 2013 06:59:56 69,486 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fracture - 6/10. Distinctly average court room thriller with Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling. Bit plodding in places, but I've seen worse.

A week with Marilyn. 7/10. As a bit of  Mazza fan in my youth, this was really interesting. Michelle Williams is very good indeed, and I loved Kenneth Branagh as an often withered Olivier. Judi Dench is awesome too, as always. The overall story is a bit thin, but the staging and atmosphere are great.
  • nickthegun 8 Dec 2013 08:29:55 61,289 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thor 2 - The Thor 2ening - You arent going to change the world with a superhero movie, so theres no point in trying and Thor 2 does not.

Its self aware and, most importantly, fun, providing a welcome break from some incredibly po-faced comic book movies of late.

The effects are good, the story is some nonsense about a magic cloud and stellan skarsgard running around without his trousers on and christopher ecclestone continues to prove that he is too good for Dr. Who by running around elf makeup and a leather gimpsuit. Also adibise from oz is in it, but I didnt recognise him.

Anthony Hopkins also fails to break his streak of delivering every line like he needs a shit.

8/10

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• sport 8 Dec 2013 09:17:16 12,808 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Gravity - 10/10

Not perfect, but absolutely stunning. 3D IMAX is a must. I thought I might be sick during the first 10 minutes the effects were so good. Soundtrack was amazing too.
    How can it get a 10/10 AND not be perfect, Tomo?!?! EXPLAIN TOMO! HOW?!?!
  • Gambit1977 8 Dec 2013 09:18:05 10,384 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @sport read Edge ;-)
  • Page

of 2861 First / Last