Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2397

• Page

of 2861 First / Last

• Khanivor 5 Dec 2013 16:34:02 41,253 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Raid script came after the Dredd one and was supposedly heavily 'influenced' by it.
  • itsoldsquarejaw 5 Dec 2013 16:39:57 208 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    L
    ElNino9 wrote:
    The Stallone version was better?

Are you pissed?
    Stallone will always be THE Dredd. The world and setting is far better realised, there is actual fleshing out of the characters and the whole female rookie thing completely unnescessary. Its like watching Stallone Dredds nephew at work in a characterless predictable 2d world.

"Iam the law". Yeah okay whatever. You nicked that off your uncle you spaz.

Now. The only thing that The Raid and Dredd have in common is the tower concept with the baddies running it. Dredd came after The Raid so that tells u something.

The Raid is original and a quite magnificent martial arts action piece and is by far one the best films ever made.

Case closed.

Lol
    You're 'avin' a bath mate. Stallone will never be THE Dredd; simple reason, takes the helmet off innit. It's essential to the character that he never does. Not only that, but Stallone's Dredd was too soft. Waaay too soft.

And as has already been pointed out, The Raid was written afterwards during Dredd's pre-production, which having a bigger budget and more effects took longer to make - and was heavily "influenced" by it through Dredd's leaked script.

Case closed?

You have been judged and found wanting. The punishment is death.

... well, maybe not death, but a stern wagging of finger.

Edited by itsoldsquarejaw at 16:40:31 05-12-2013
  • Daniel_Spencer 5 Dec 2013 17:25:07 84 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @itsoldsquarejaw Yup, the Judges are much cooler with their helmets on rather than off.
  • itsoldsquarejaw 5 Dec 2013 17:29:03 208 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's also that it impersonalises him. He's a figurehead and you only ever see glimpses of the human/clone underneath. It's why they stop Anderson from probing him too much at the beginning, but just enough to get a glimmer of something beyond. Take off his helmet and you lose a lot of what makes Dredd, Dredd.
  • CosmicFuzz 5 Dec 2013 17:32:09 25,619 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Watched Only God Forgives last night on US netflix. Really, really liked it. Can totally see why it's so polarising (gruesome as hell in places, not much really happens in it) but I was totally caught up in it. Beautifully shot and the lighting is really well done in places. It's definitely weak on story/characters, and no one is really fleshed out, but something about it just grabbed me. The Bangkok police officer is terrifying.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Deleted user 5 December 2013 18:08:50
    Berberian Sound Studio (2012) 8/10

95% of the film takes place inside a sound studio. The budget must have been tight. This doesnít matter, as the cast do a good job.

ĎA sound engineer's work for an Italian horror studio becomes a terrifying case of life imitating art.í - IMDb

As slow as the film is, it is strangely watchable. Itís also an interesting insight into the recording process back in 1976, with itís tape technology. While I got most of the film, there was also a sense maybe I didnít get the film. I didnít get the ending, which was annoying.
  • Dougs 5 Dec 2013 19:00:30 69,487 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TOOTR wrote:
    Insomnia (2002)

Watched this randomly as I knew I saw it in the cinema on release (and enjoyed it enough) but couldn't really remember much of it.

It had completely slipped my mind that

1) It's a Chris Nolan film
    2) It's packed with great actors : Al Pacino, Robin Williams, Hilary Swank
    3) the cinematography is stunning.

Loved the main stars facing off and the story, while functional, takes a backseat to the atmosphere and stunning production values and I was immersed really.

91%
    This is another the passed me by, will make more of an effort to put that right.† Good sales pitch!
  • thelzdking 5 Dec 2013 20:01:00 4,413 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Only a hardened mouthwash fiend would claim that Stallone's Dredd was anything other than an hilarious travesty. By my reckoning he spends around 80% of the film without his helmet!
  • oldschoolsoviet 5 Dec 2013 20:14:06 5,549 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Filth - 8/10

A beautiful, truthful, hard hitting documentary following a 'Burra detective. Oh yes.

Loved the musical cameo too.
  • b0rk 5 Dec 2013 20:33:34 2,942 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Family - 4/10

Tonally all over the place and just bizarre all round really. Bobby can still act and really why is he in crud like this. Dianna Agron didn't do any acting at all, which started to wind me up. I mean she wasn't just acting badly, she literally wasn't acting.
  • Rajin 5 Dec 2013 20:58:02 666 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Constantine: 9/10

The scrypt is not great and the story has a huge hole in it(to much spent whether the twin sister commited sucide for no reason)But the whole vibe, special effects and constantine as a character got me hooked. I still don't know why i really like this movie but for some reason i just do.
  • Gambit1977 5 Dec 2013 21:34:51 10,384 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rajin I agree, the same guy directed I am Legend, and the new hunger games, they're flashy movies but I like his choices so far.
  • oceanmotion 5 Dec 2013 22:28:12 16,123 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    itsoldsquarejaw wrote:
    Madder-Max wrote:
    L
    ElNino9 wrote:
    The Stallone version was better?

Are you pissed?
    Stallone will always be THE Dredd. The world and setting is far better realised, there is actual fleshing out of the characters and the whole female rookie thing completely unnescessary. Its like watching Stallone Dredds nephew at work in a characterless predictable 2d world.

"Iam the law". Yeah okay whatever. You nicked that off your uncle you spaz.

Now. The only thing that The Raid and Dredd have in common is the tower concept with the baddies running it. Dredd came after The Raid so that tells u something.

The Raid is original and a quite magnificent martial arts action piece and is by far one the best films ever made.

Case closed.

Lol
    You're 'avin' a bath mate. Stallone will never be THE Dredd; simple reason, takes the helmet off innit. It's essential to the character that he never does. Not only that, but Stallone's Dredd was too soft. Waaay too soft.

And as has already been pointed out, The Raid was written afterwards during Dredd's pre-production, which having a bigger budget and more effects took longer to make - and was heavily "influenced" by it through Dredd's leaked script.

Case closed?

You have been judged and found wanting. The punishment is death.

... well, maybe not death, but a stern wagging of finger.
    The talk of keeping the helmet on makes me question why Stallone had blue eye contacts in Judge Dredd. Back then I imagined the comic character had ice blue eyes but if he never took his helmet off, seems a weird thing to do for the film as his eye colour is unknown.
  • Bremenacht 5 Dec 2013 23:14:48 19,655 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Judge Dredd is a Stallone film, with Stallone playing a good-guy Stallone in a costume that shows off his absolute Stallonenity. Other people act in it, whereas Stallone does good-guy Stallone, as he usually does in Stallone films. Having a Stallone film based on some British comic probably spoiled it if anything. They should have ignored all that and called it 'Super Cop' or 'Future Cop' or something like that. It also has Diane Lane in it, who is rather nice.
  • Spanky 5 Dec 2013 23:38:38 14,610 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And The Angel Gang in it are awesome, Spud and Herschel kill it!

Plubs

• beastmaster 5 Dec 2013 23:49:17 11,972 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stallone's film had Deuce Bigalow as a fucking comic sidekick ffs!

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Defecationqueen 5 Dec 2013 23:58:51 651 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Didn't think much of the latest Dredd movie, to be honest. The concept was excellent but the execution was predictable and mediocre. A Judge Dredd TV series would be completely kick bottom. It's a comic book story, it needs to be filmed as a serial. Knock the piss-poor films on the head and get HBO to drop a few million on a series instead. As Judge Dredd would say: "I'd buy THAT for a Euro!"
  • FWB 6 Dec 2013 00:07:06 45,580 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nice idea. That'd work. Well, except I am now too used to main characters dying and Dredd wouldn't be allowed to.
  • disusedgenius 6 Dec 2013 00:27:39 5,614 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    And The Angel Gang in it are awesome, Spud and Herschel kill it!
    To be fair, so much of the old Dredd film kills it... it's just a shame about the main actors, storyline etc. You know, the stuff that really matters.
  • Phil-McCrack 6 Dec 2013 03:43:44 3,352 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Alpha Papa

Belly laughingly funny, and perfect partridge cringiness.

9/10

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner
    Formerly OptimusPube

• Tonka 6 Dec 2013 09:50:04 21,346 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Brick second viewing
    A film noir set in a californian suburb sometime in the early 00's. Most of the main characters are at highschool age but there is really only one scene where this ties in with the story and I wish that scene was cut.

See. Everyone who's ever said or written anything about brick (that I know of (massive caveat)) says it's "A film noir set in highschool". But that makes it sounds as if it's some sort of novelty episode in Buffy.

It isn't.

Forget the High-School shit. It's a film noir through and through. (Well, except for that one scene, or maybe two) where they ham it up for no good reason.

Still. Fucking brilliant in sooo many ways. The silent fuck being one of them.

A must see

next up The Brothers Bloom

Edited by Tonka at 09:50:26 06-12-2013

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Load_2.0 6 Dec 2013 10:02:43 19,663 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Watched Only God Forgives last night on US netflix. Really, really liked it. Can totally see why it's so polarising (gruesome as hell in places, not much really happens in it) but I was totally caught up in it. Beautifully shot and the lighting is really well done in places. It's definitely weak on story/characters, and no one is really fleshed out, but something about it just grabbed me. The Bangkok police officer is terrifying.
    It is very pretty, it was a film that kept suprising me with the way events unfolded. Couldn't see myself watching it again as I don't think their would be any benefit from a second viewing.
  • Stranded87 6 Dec 2013 10:02:49 1,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Brick is actually one of my favourite film noir's. It's a shame that it often gets overlooked as a bit of a gimmick.

Wasn't thrilled by The Brothers Bloom though, or Looper.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Dec 2013 11:19:30 8,265 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Invictus - 6/10

Ok, I'm thinking maybe I just don't like Clint Eastwood movies, or at least most of the ones he's made for the past 20 years.

So this is a film about Nelson Mandela, and with all of the uplifting true story-ness of it, there's not much chance it's going to be terrible.

But Eastwood is so bloody on the nose with everything that it almost ruins it. At almost every moment the movie is bludgeoning you over the head with how you should be feeling. At one point, where Mandela goes and meets the white rugby team, there's a song called "Colourblind" on the soundtrack, and it's like... could you possibly be any less subtle than this? Do you not think that your audience is smart enough to realise the significance of this moment without you spelling it out for them?

Ugh. Maybe this shouldn't piss me off, but it really does.
  • Load_2.0 6 Dec 2013 11:22:42 19,663 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Plus they left out the part where he poisons the All Blacks.
  • The_Goon 6 Dec 2013 11:26:18 135 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Brick second viewing
    A film noir set in a californian suburb sometime in the early 00's. Most of the main characters are at highschool age but there is really only one scene where this ties in with the story and I wish that scene was cut.

See. Everyone who's ever said or written anything about brick (that I know of (massive caveat)) says it's "A film noir set in highschool". But that makes it sounds as if it's some sort of novelty episode in Buffy.

It isn't.

Forget the High-School shit. It's a film noir through and through. (Well, except for that one scene, or maybe two) where they ham it up for no good reason.

Still. Fucking brilliant in sooo many ways. The silent fuck being one of them.

A must see

next up The Brothers Bloom
    Sounded ace so I googled it. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is in it - def want to see it now.
  • Tonka 6 Dec 2013 11:26:24 21,346 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    Brick is actually one of my favourite film noir's. It's a shame that it often gets overlooked as a bit of a gimmick.
    My sentiment exactly. We must be soulbrothers.

/Starts baking chocolate cake to celebrate this day in history.

Stranded87 wrote:
    Wasn't thrilled by The Brothers Bloom though, or Looper.
    WHAT. THE. FUCK!

You must be Hitler. I can see no other explanation.

/flushes hafbaked cake down the toilet
    /unfriends on facebook

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• MrE26 6 Dec 2013 16:49:32 1,980 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Elysium - 8/10

Blomkamp REALLY loves Halo doesn't he? Anyway, i'm not sure if it was just lowered expectations because i'd heard bad things about this, but i thoroughly enjoyed it. Predictable as fuck, & i have no idea what was going on with Jodie Foster's accent, but i thought it was great.
  • Gambit1977 6 Dec 2013 17:03:38 10,384 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Contracted. Well that was different, that Najarra whatshername is quite tasty though. If you can cope with indie horror acting its quite interesting.

started watching Open Grave with sharlto Copley in but a dog appeared and my dog started being tough with the tv. Enjoyed what I saw though, like a horror version of persons unknown (tv series that lasted one season a few years back).
  • Deleted user 6 December 2013 20:54:12
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) 9/10

Sure Iíd seen clips, but never the whole film, until yesterday that was. It was good fun, very funny at times. I watched the Blu-ray, which to be honest, was good, but also exposed the filmís age somewhat. Thereís many moments when areas of the screen that should maybe be black, look more like dark blue.

When Roger interacts with the live actors, thereís a sense the artists where attempting to make Roger look 3D. While it looks impressive, there are times they bother with reflections, and other times they donít. For example, when Rodger walks past a rather curvy looking car, there is no reflection of Roger, sure it would have proved to be a real challenge, to attempt such a reflection, nearly impossible infact.

Bob Hoskins is his usual great self.

This is one film that would benefit from a make over. Imagine taking the original elements, and replacing all the moments when cartoon meets live action/characters, and re doing the cartoon elements using CGI. I would look great. The moments where thereís no live action/characters, the 100% cartoon moments, when the Toonís are doing their job, Iíd keep as hand drawn, just like it is.
  • Page

of 2861 First / Last