Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2395

• Page

of 2811 First / Last

• beastmaster 3 Dec 2013 13:30:31 11,669 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Much Ado About Nothing (2012) - 5/10

I really wanted to like this a lot more than I did. Starts off boring but gets better abut 40 minutes into it. Shot in black-and-white and filmed at Joss Whedon's house, it's pretty much a who's who from Whedon's previous works.

It's just a shame that the excellent cast can't liven this dull film up anymore. Nathan Fillion show up and livens things up a bit. He's very funny.

I think I may have enjoyed it more had it not been filmed in such a contemporary setting. Still, Whedon has got a beautiful house.

Resident Evil: Retribution - 4/10

Regardless of the film quality, the Blu-Ray picture and sound are reference material. Picture and sound are absolutely stunning and the best I've experienced.

Film itself is the worst of the lot. The plot is set up like a video game complete with levels etc.

However, I do have a soft spot for these films. I know they're shit but I still like them.

I had the film running as close to simultaneous as I could on the One and PS4 and after the menus loaded up, switching between AV channels. It seems as though the One has a better BR player. Ended up watching the entire film on that.

End Of Days - 3/10

How shit is this? Very. Apart from the Arnie rant at Satan, there's nothing really that great here. However, I did learn that devil piss is highly explosive.

Just silly but it does have a few good moments.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Rhaegyr 3 Dec 2013 13:38:50 2,459 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not a good batch, eh?
  • beastmaster 3 Dec 2013 13:49:44 11,669 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :-)

Not this time. Hopefully get a few good ones in at the cinema this weekend. And the remake of Oldboy.

• The_Goon 3 Dec 2013 14:05:19 131 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Dredd - 6/10

Finally got round to watching this and I'm almost sorry I did. It may have been camp as hell but the Stallone version craps all over this. Yes, the special effects were pretty good but the rest was pretty mediocre to say the least.
  • Deckard1 3 Dec 2013 14:09:41 28,766 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah ok
  • oceanmotion 3 Dec 2013 14:15:21 16,026 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    Dredd - 6/10

Finally got round to watching this and I'm almost sorry I did. It may have been camp as hell but the Stallone version craps all over this. Yes, the special effects were pretty good but the rest was pretty mediocre to say the least.
  • ElNuevo9 3 Dec 2013 14:15:50 13,493 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Stallone version was better?

Are you pissed?

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Zomoniac 3 Dec 2013 14:22:56 7,867 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gravity.

As a tech demo, 10. Breathtaking 3D, just gorgeous to watch.

As a film, 5 or 6. All the additional sentiment was completely unnecessary, the characters were fairly dull, the whole kid, heaven etc bit was bollocks, and I've preferred it to finish 10 minutes earlier and for her to have not had the hallucination and have just died in the pod.
  • The_Goon 3 Dec 2013 14:40:48 131 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @ElNino9 Not at all. Run of the mill rookie/veteran movie with OTT violence vs campy and (unintentionally) hilarious side-kick movie with at least some semblance of a plot. The violence of Dredd may play truer to the comics but why not just watch MMA if you want violence without a plot? Each to their own. Both aren't great movies by any measure but Dredd was a disappointment. Heard comparisons with The Raid though so will probably give that a look at some point. Hopefully it's better.
  • jablonski 3 Dec 2013 15:14:20 4,431 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Much Ado About Nothing (2012) - 5/10

I really wanted to like this a lot more than I did. Starts off boring but gets better abut 40 minutes into it. Shot in black-and-white and filmed at Joss Whedon's house, it's pretty much a who's who from Whedon's previous works.

It's just a shame that the excellent cast can't liven this dull film up anymore. Nathan Fillion show up and livens things up a bit. He's very funny.

I think I may have enjoyed it more had it not been filmed in such a contemporary setting. Still, Whedon has got a beautiful house.
    Feels a bit too much like a bunch of students with a camera. Didn't work for me at all.
    Love the Branagh version.
  • MetalDog 3 Dec 2013 18:22:19 23,781 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I Sell The Dead - 9/10

Comedy-horror revolving around the confession of a body snatcher who, with his partner, snatched the dead and... other things.

The confession format offering a way of breaking the tale up into strictly 'the interesting bits' which works very well. Entertaining mini-yarns leading to a silly but coherent ending. Well worth a watch if you like comedy-horror. This is fun.

Also, as a pleasant bonus, contains Ron Perlman and Angus Scrimm (the tall man from Phantasm)

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Deleted user 3 December 2013 18:34:44
    The Devils (1971) 7/10

I’ve mixed views. There’s a sense, given the size of the film set, The Devils was possibly epic back in the day. Oliver Reed makes it all the more watchable. Without him, I’d have probably switched off early on. There’s some nudity, which again might have cause some controversy in 1971, but means little in 2013. The DVD picture quality is excellent, given its from 1971, there’s little sign of dirt or scratches, although for some bizarre reason, just before the end credits start, the picture quality drops considerably? As story, while it might have historic relevance, it’s never gripping, and it has a quality, similar to watching a play take place on a stage. All in all, I expected more.
  • spindle9988 3 Dec 2013 18:40:42 3,629 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    @ElNino9 Not at all. Run of the mill rookie/veteran movie with OTT violence vs campy and (unintentionally) hilarious side-kick movie with at least some semblance of a plot. The violence of Dredd may play truer to the comics but why not just watch MMA if you want violence without a plot? Each to their own. Both aren't great movies by any measure but Dredd was a disappointment. Heard comparisons with The Raid though so will probably give that a look at some point. Hopefully it's better.
    The raid is a better film. Saying the new dredd isn't as good as stallones version is crazy. The reason people wanted violence in dredd, Is the fact that the source material is

Edited by spindle9988 at 18:41:11 03-12-2013
  • Bremenacht 3 Dec 2013 19:09:42 18,793 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Gravity.

As a tech demo, 10. Breathtaking 3D, just gorgeous to watch.

As a film, 5 or 6. All the additional sentiment was completely unnecessary, the characters were fairly dull, the whole kid, heaven etc bit was bollocks, and I've preferred it to finish 10 minutes earlier and for her to have not had the hallucination and have just died in the pod.
    Those bits worked for me, 'cos they were something akin to a near-death experience, in providing the motivation to survive. I think the bit at the end was also necessary to make it clear it was not part of the same experience.

Edited by Bremenacht at 19:10:00 03-12-2013
  • jablonski 3 Dec 2013 19:11:12 4,431 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Raid is very overrated. People are just to eager too jump on the next big thing - it's the only reason I can think that this arrived with so much fanfare. After all, it's been a while since the last big game-changer (Ong Bak).

Dredd isn't really all that, but it's still better by a pube-length.

Edited by jablonski at 19:11:30 03-12-2013
  • BillMurray 3 Dec 2013 20:34:23 7,814 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Olympus Has Fallen - 30%

I can't believe this is a real movie. It's hilarious. It feels like a made for TV movie, right down to the shitty CGI, only it's got a fairly large Hollywood cast. Very odd. It's shit but i'd still tell people to watch it because of how daft it is.
  • Kostabi 3 Dec 2013 20:38:07 4,986 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought Olympus was a decent action film, in the same way I thought Lock Out was too but then I'm quite fond of big, dumb actioners. The more cheese the better.
  • Mr_Sleep 3 Dec 2013 20:48:57 17,221 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    The Devils (1971)
    The DVD picture quality is excellent, given its from 1971, there’s little sign of dirt or scratches, although for some bizarre reason, just before the end credits start, the picture quality drops considerably?
    Could be deleted scenes that have been added back in, I have watched several films from that era that have been cut and the quality of the added scenes are often terrible.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Deleted user 3 December 2013 20:55:48
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    blacksea wrote:
    The Devils (1971)
    The DVD picture quality is excellent, given its from 1971, there’s little sign of dirt or scratches, although for some bizarre reason, just before the end credits start, the picture quality drops considerably?
    Could be deleted scenes that have been added back in, I have watched several films from that era that have been cut and the quality of the added scenes are often terrible.
    I have seen such films too. This film, the quality is consistent (high quality) all the way through. Only the end credits are of a lower quality. It's not like the end credits represent some long lost footage re added to the film.
  • Gruff 3 Dec 2013 21:44:38 2,917 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    Dredd - 6/10

Nutter

Anyway back to the real world

Romantics Anonymous 8/10 French RomCom that plays with the genre a little, gentle comedy played to perfection and even laugh out loud at times. Loved it.

Edited by Gruff at 21:45:33 03-12-2013

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• dsmx 3 Dec 2013 22:18:43 7,655 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gravity 3d:

It kept me interested throughout the film and it was nice they had the guts to kill a big star in it. However it also was the 3rd time I've been to see a 3D film and it's the 3rd time it didn't work properly for me, all that happens is I get at best 1 object in focus and the rest is blurry so that's it for me 3d doesn't work and I won't be watching anything 3D again.

I tend to think while the 3d adds immersion (my cousin who I was with said that and I'll have to take his word for that) I don't think it actually improved the films storytelling in anyway and I don't think filming it in 2D would of detracted from it in anyway.

On a scale of 1-100 I'd give it a T+.

Edited by dsmx at 22:21:35 03-12-2013

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• beastmaster 3 Dec 2013 22:20:28 11,669 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @dsmx

On a spoiler scale, you're way off it. I've already seen it but you may warn to put a certain part of that review in a spoiler.

• dsmx 3 Dec 2013 22:24:12 7,655 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    if you don't want something spoiled you don't go read a review before you go watch something, you watch it first and come to your own opinion then go read a review. However I'll put it in a spoiler if it makes you feel better.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• CharlieStCloud 3 Dec 2013 22:28:23 5,317 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You silly sod.

... people come into this thread every single day to check out what films folks have been watching.

You spoiled the film, full stop.

I hope you get the pleasure of being told a spoiler that pisses you right off one day, because you deserve it!
  • Deckard1 3 Dec 2013 22:29:41 28,766 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    if you don't want something spoiled you don't go read a review before you go watch something, you watch it first and come to your own opinion then go read a review. However I'll put it in a spoiler if it makes you feel better.
    Don't be dick
  • modestmunch 3 Dec 2013 22:33:21 105 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Turns out he was a ghost
  • beastmaster 3 Dec 2013 22:40:00 11,669 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's rare that you see reviews of any kind which give away key plot points. If they do then they are appropriately headlined and cannot be missed.

Most people haven't seen a film and they read reviews to get an opinion of what it's like.

• dsmx 3 Dec 2013 22:55:06 7,655 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I suppose I'm going to have to spoiler the next part as well then the film itself within the first minute literally tells you people will die in this film and since you only ever see 3 living people in the film it's not exactly spoiling a major part of the film to say it. Yes you may think going into it it's a major spoiler but looking back on the film it really isn't

• Architect_z 4 Dec 2013 14:23:33 2,385 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    End Of Days - 3/10

How shit is this? Very. Apart from the Arnie rant at Satan, there's nothing really that great here. However, I did learn that devil piss is highly explosive.

Just silly but it does have a few good moments.
    "You're a choirboy compared to me, a choirboy!!!"
  • Architect_z 4 Dec 2013 14:26:40 2,385 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    The Stallone version was better?

Are you pissed?
    To be honest, i'm suprised the Stallone version gets such a bad reputation, I think the world is well made, the actings pretty good, comedy is good, action is great. I think the voice of Stallone suits Dredd better.

The new film is still great, however it was basically a disjointed version of The Raid (which is a frikin awesome film).

I think both versions are just as good as each other, in different ways.
  • Page

of 2811 First / Last