Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2393

• Page

of 2800 First / Last

• TheHammerite 29 Nov 2013 06:51:41 1,511 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Machete sequel (Can't recall the name) 2/10

Shite! Couldn't watch more than 15 minutes.
  • Mola_Ram 29 Nov 2013 06:58:06 7,674 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You didn't watch it, so you can't rate it. :p

Machete Kills was fantastic.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Nov 2013 09:57:53 38,664 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    After Earth

Jayden Smith is one dopey looking fucker, and he has none of his Dad's charisma. Story was pure crap as well.

Shit/10

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• magicpanda 30 Nov 2013 10:46:28 13,403 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Last Stand. (on UK netflix)

Arnie as a small town county Sherrif has to stop a Mexican Cartel Boss from crossing the border.

Pure cliché but it does its job and kept me entertained throughout. Above average gunfights as well.

7/10
  • Dougs 30 Nov 2013 14:36:17 68,380 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The World's End. 6.5/10. Weakest of the trilogy, but still had enough to make me giggle quite a bit. Very silly, but well worth a watch.

As an aside, very disappointed with the Blinkbox streaming experience. After Netflix, that much variation in PQ was surprising. Netflix is virtually flawless over the same connection
  • shooter 30 Nov 2013 16:04:09 394 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Running man - 9/10

Was on film4 last night and hadnt seen it in years. Classic Arnie, one of his best
  • TechnoHippy 30 Nov 2013 19:50:05 14,719 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Halloween

It's been many years since I last watched this and I enjoyed watching it again. It's a classic in the slasher genres and has inspired many imitators and remakes since its release. It tells the story of a young boy who murders his sister and then fifteen years later escapes from the asylum. He then returns to his home town and murders more teens the same age as his sister.

It does show it's age in many ways, it lacks the gore of modern films (not a bad thing in my opinion) and it does feel a bit cheesey, although that's partly because it has been imitated so many times it lacks the rawness from its original release.

The film also feels a little clumsy in places, but it does do two things very well. The first is Michael Myers, you never really understand who or what he his and comes across as implacable and very sinister. The other thing is the music, the title tune in particular is very effective and works well with the film.

It might have aged a bit, but overall it remains an excellent watch and fully deserving of its classic status in film history.

9/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• BinaryBob101 30 Nov 2013 20:40:29 23,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    An Adventure in Space and Time - 9/10

Somewhat sentimental, but brilliant retelling of the origins of Doctor Who and William Hartnell's First.

This is an absolute must watch, even for non-fans.

One of the best realised dramas of the year.

Fuck it - 10/10

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Daniel_Spencer 30 Nov 2013 21:21:50 84 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    After Earth

Jayden Smith is one dopey looking fucker, and he has none of his Dad's charisma. Story was pure crap as well.

Shit/10
    Jayden Smith ruined Karate Kid for me, can't forgive him for that.
  • Mola_Ram 30 Nov 2013 21:24:37 7,674 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, he really lacked the gravitas of Ralph Macchio.
  • QotSAfan 30 Nov 2013 22:28:06 1,717 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trance - Philip K. Dick gone wrong(4)/10

The gangsters didn't work. Only for Dawson's and McEvoy's sheer charisma and ability was this watchable. Some very nice shots from Boyle as always but this one felt flat, undercooked and gimmicky throughout. Disappointing.
  • Moot_Point 30 Nov 2013 22:34:35 4,333 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Drunken Master.

It doesn't matter how many times I watch this film, it never seems to bore me. Lots of excellent fight scenes, humour and kung fu cheesiness.

Zen Master/Drunken Master

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• MrFlay 1 Dec 2013 02:14:08 986 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Hunt (2012) - 9/10

Excellent Danish drama about a teacher in a small village falsely accused of child abuse by his best friend's daughter. It's quite harrowing and difficult to watch in places. Mads Mikkelsen gives a brilliant performance as the teacher unjustly ostracised.
  • woodnotes 1 Dec 2013 12:10:06 4,935 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa - 5/10

I'm a huge Partridge fan but that was dull as dishwater. The reviews completely and utterly baffle me. There were a few amusing moments and very few moments of classic Iannucci writing brilliance, but they were... few. Sure it was good to see the old characters again, but the whole thing paled in comparison to I'm Alan Partridge, with more laughs in a minute of that series than this entire film. The sheer brilliance of Partridge was completely missing, and the 'filmic' nature of.. film.. just doesn't lend itself to Partridge. He should be seen annoying people at 50fps not 24fps.
  • sirtacos 1 Dec 2013 12:38:46 7,316 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MrFlay wrote:
    The Hunt (2012) - 9/10

Excellent Danish drama about a teacher in a small village falsely accused of child abuse by his best friend's daughter. It's quite harrowing and difficult to watch in places. Mads Mikkelsen gives a brilliant performance as the teacher unjustly ostracised.
    Glad to see others are watching this! Excellent film.
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Dec 2013 13:02:17 14,963 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    After Earth

Shit/10
    Spot on, one of the worst films I have seen for a very long time, insult to injury I went to the piccies to see it :-(

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• TechnoHippy 1 Dec 2013 14:09:38 14,719 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Day

The Day is a survival horror set ten years after the collapse of civilisation, a small group of survivors are trying to evade tribes of cannibals and survive. It's filmed in a style of many similar films with a washed out colour palette. The story is fairly simple with a couple of minor twists, but nothing too surprising.

The group are reasonably well played, there's a good dynamic within the group, although how they managed to survive for ten years is a bit of a surprise. It's paced well with keeps going until the climax.

Overall it's quite entertaining, but doesn't really stand out in any way. If you're after a post apocalyptic film then there are better choices out there and worse ones too.

6/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• RichieTenenbaum 1 Dec 2013 14:14:54 2,223 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa 5/10

It's just not funny enough. Hardly laughed at all. There's just something ever so off about the character that made some of the comedy not ring true. I think the character has been off since his Mid-Morning Matters comeback, to be honest.
  • Max_Powers 1 Dec 2013 14:37:43 1,100 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Inside Lewynn Davis 7/10

This is the new Coen brothers film set in the folk music scene of the early 60's. It's played very straightforward. Everything is about it is decent but nothing more than that.

Edited by Max_Powers at 14:38:12 01-12-2013
  • Madder-Max 1 Dec 2013 14:54:17 11,660 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Snitch - 8/10

Very solid 'based on a true story' flick about a guy who goes up against a mexican drug cartel to save his son.

It leaves u to make ur own mind up about the new drug laws in the US and I quite like the big guy. (Can't remember the name. The Rock?)

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Mr_Sleep 1 Dec 2013 17:55:09 17,181 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just spent two hours watching children running around a cinema and listening to their incessant prattling and play. I may have occasionally noticed Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddlestone prancing around as well. Hard to tell.

Not sure what to make of Thor 2 really, it was quite entertaining and a good spectacle. Good turns from most of the actors. I always like seeing Idris Elba being ace. So, pretty good but not exceptional, kind of preferred the first one I think.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Deleted user 1 December 2013 19:46:57
    V/H/S (2012) 3/10

Utter shit. Really tough on the eyes, as the footage is ‘found raw VHS quality’ and really over done.

When a group of misfits is hired by an unknown third party to burglarize a desolate house and acquire a rare VHS tape, they discover more found footage than they bargained for.

Issue’s I had with the film include:

Before entering the house, these guy’s carry a camera the whole time to film themselves? Is that normal?

They enter a house to obtain a VHS tape. They discover a pile of VHS tapes. Instead of taking the tapes out of the house and watching back at their own place, they decided to stay in the house to watch the tapes in the same room as the owner, who appears dead while sitting in a chair? - I wouldn’t want to be in that house longer than necessary.

Seeing as the film is called VHS, and the quality of the footage is VHS, for some weird reason, one of the tapes contains footage of the type associated with Computers/Web-cams? For some weird reason, someone has copied to VHS web-cam footage, although the makers of VHS failed to give that footage the VHS look?

As for story, there really isn’t any, other than a bunch of guys entering a house to watch VHS tapes. This simply acts as a hub to view VHS tapes, which are supposed to look badly filmed, as they are filmed by amateurs.

3/10 as some of the gore effects look ok. They got the colour of blood correct. And there's tits!

Edited by blacksea at 19:51:08 01-12-2013
  • Megapocalypse 2 Dec 2013 07:13:06 5,468 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aftershock - 8/10

Silly fun but actually quite horrific in places. The first 30 minutes is fun with three guys going round clubs and picking up girls. Then the earthquake hits and things take a much darker tone though there's still a lot of humour in between the brutal deaths, dead children, and raping. The end though entirely predictable still made me laugh .
  • TheHammerite 2 Dec 2013 10:15:39 1,511 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @blacksea

I did enjoy the first story with the vampire. The rest were pretty shit.

V/H/S 2 is actually a lot better.
  • TheHammerite 2 Dec 2013 10:17:57 1,511 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Alpha Papa - 7/10

It was entertaining. A tad light on belly laughs, but plenty of chuckles.
  • ryohazuki1983 2 Dec 2013 10:24:39 735 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hunger Games: Catching Fire

A hard one to rate, having read the books and admittely was disappointed with the second one as not a lot really happened I went into the cinema knowing what to expect and enjoyed it. However the wife has not read the books, thought it was terrible.

7.5/10
  • kalel 2 Dec 2013 10:37:43 88,371 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gravity

Pretty good. Glad I went to the trouble of seeing it in 3D at the IMAX as it clearly massively enhanced the experience, although I do think it would stand up as a decent thriller in itself.

The way it's shot is brilliant and I love the way there is no up or down for pretty much the whole film. Very clever.

The one thing I could have done without was the stuff about her dead kid. Just such an incredibly obvious and unnecessary plot device that felt utterly crowbarred in, and didn't make me care any more about what was happening whatsoever.

But otherwise really good fun and I felt quite battered by the end, in a good way.

8/10
  • nickthegun 2 Dec 2013 10:39:38 60,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would have liked it to have ended 5-10 minutes earlier. The last few minutes reeked of being tacked on after focus group testing.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Stranded87 2 Dec 2013 10:46:21 923 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Chloe

Engaging enough but didn't really go anywhere. On the other hand Amanda Seyfried was actually kind of hot, which was surprising, because I've never really got the appeal with her.

5.5/10

Gone Baby Gone

Interesting film, well acted and makes you question what's truly 'right'.

7.5/10
  • kalel 2 Dec 2013 10:59:07 88,371 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I would have liked it to have ended 5-10 minutes earlier. The last few minutes reeked of being tacked on after focus group testing.
    I was hoping it would end with her being trapped in the pod underwater, setting up the sequel to follow directly on.
  • Page

of 2800 First / Last