Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2385

• Page

of 2707 First / Last

• khaz 18 Nov 2013 07:06:47 2,721 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gravity is beautiful and astonishing.

Its rare that a film will allow me to switch off all cynicism and any jaded feelings I might have and let me immerse myself into its world.

I'm glad there are still films like this and Life of Pi where the medium of film is taken to sensory extremes that we normally wouldn't even imagine.
  • woodnotes 18 Nov 2013 12:10:03 4,921 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gravity - 8.5/10

Basically the movie version of a videogame, with endless obstacles getting in the way to the point of ridiculousness. It's shallow with no real story to speak of, along with clichéd character development.

But none of that matters, at least not if you're viewing it on the big screen in 3D. What does matter, in an 'experience' film like this, is the experience itself. And from that point of view, it absolutely delivers. You'll be at the edge of your seat throughout. I thought the end was a little ropey and could have been improved, but what a hell of a journey it is on the way.

I think we'll forget about this film in a few years, because it'll ultimately be only half the experience at home on Blu-Ray. So - as with Avatar - this movie absolutely demands to be seen in 3D on the big screen. Go see it, now. I saw it at the IMAX btw.

Edited by woodnotes at 12:11:27 18-11-2013
  • spindle9988 18 Nov 2013 12:23:39 3,501 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Not on most of the pikey copies.
    Watched it on Swedish Netflix so that's probably why
  • varsas 18 Nov 2013 13:10:13 2,401 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don Jon 8/10

Very frank and funny. I think it's the first 18 rated film I've watched in a long time, everything is 12A or 15 these days.
  • Tonka 18 Nov 2013 13:15:21 20,018 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cars

A race car treats people like shit and is stranded in Bumfuck USA where he learns that the key to happiness is taking a detour.

Nice animations and god characters. But I was boooored. And the general message (appreciate the little things, take it slow, be mindful) is somewhat lost in what feels like a "The car is the ultimate expression of freedom" ad.

There's also too much "SHOUTING MEANS FUN!" sections for the kids.

I'm not sure I'm such a big fan of Pixar anymore.

Must see the Toy Stories again to realign.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Tonka 18 Nov 2013 13:16:00 20,018 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Not on most of the pikey copies.
    Watched it on Swedish Netflix so that's probably why
    aka The Pirate Bay

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• wobbly_Bob 18 Nov 2013 17:14:26 1,626 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pacific Rim watched this last night 1000000/100 hell yes!
  • Madder-Max 18 Nov 2013 17:15:06 11,622 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Wee Man - 7/10

Solid gangster flick based on a true story about the Glasgow mafia.

Problem with it though is the film misses a large chunk of his rise and how he gained his street cred.

In 1990 I immediatlry thought/assumed he had been in jail since the attack on the brothers but it turns out only 9 months.

Even a montage of sorts covering this period would have worked.

You also have to rely on any real life knowledge of the scottish mindset to understand the medias fondness for the guy as the lack of characterisation is also a problem with the film.

If u understand the scottish thing then its a great film.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Shikasama 18 Nov 2013 22:53:46 6,608 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thor 2 - 8/10

Pretty much loved it from start to finish. Not an amazing film that'll go down in the history of cinema but definitely kept me entertained for the duration. Enjoyed how it fit itself in with the rest of the MU too.
  • Madder-Max 19 Nov 2013 02:45:43 11,622 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wolverine - 4/10

Fucking hell this drags on and on and on. Its a drawn out japanesey samurai mish mash and wtf is the red haired girl that can't see shit in the future all about?

Really dissapointing. Don't expect this to be anything like the recent Marvel films at all.

No characterisation whatsoever.

• CosmicFuzz 19 Nov 2013 03:40:02 23,222 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Watching A Dangerous Method just now. It's just a bit boring. I'm going to give it a 6/10 and will update if it changes.

Last night I watched Compliance (wiki says it's all based on a true story, and the entry for the true story is remarkably similar, which is mental. Although the director was on Empire podcast and said it was an amalgamation of a few true stories). I'd give it 8/10. Enjoyed it, very disturbing at parts.

Also watched The Campaign. Which I really liked, although I'm a sucker for anything with Will Ferral in it. I laughed a bunch of times, so passed that test. I'd give it 7/10.

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• B0rked_Gamer 19 Nov 2013 04:38:32 2,483 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Misery 7/10

Hobbling looks painful.

fake head

• Scurrminator 19 Nov 2013 07:12:14 8,385 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Elysium
    Urgh. Just terrible. 4/10

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Deleted user 19 November 2013 07:35:25
    Madder-Max wrote:
    Wolverine - 4/10

Fucking hell this drags on and on and on. Its a drawn out japanesey samurai mish mash and wtf is the red haired girl that can't see shit in the future all about?

Really dissapointing. Don't expect this to be anything like the recent Marvel films at all.

No characterisation whatsoever.
    Good review, I wish you had posted that about another five hours earlier as it would have spared me the pain.

3/10 and the three points were for it being set in japan and having Hugh jackman topless a few times.
  • estoo 19 Nov 2013 15:27:20 2,798 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gravity 6.5/10

Really shallow story and script but raises the bar for special effects...

...which means in 20 years time it will just be a primitive looking film with a shit story.
    Bullock was ok, although over-hamming it on occasion. Clooney's character was laughable, I'm usually a fan of his but the script must have just said "be smug and and act like you're full of tranquilisers"

Also, I'm more convinced now than ever that 3D is simply a gimmick where they put sequences of small flying objects in to make the effect work.
    Seriously, the only time 3D looks good is with small flying objects: a bunch of bees, balloons, intergalactic waterdroplets etc

No more 3D films for me, total con (£20 quid for 2 tickets and then have 45 minutes of adverts forced upon you, it's no wonder there were only 6 people in the room).

And don't get me started on the pre-show adverts... at 45 minutes, that's half the length of the film. Fuck that shit, fuck it right up the arse. I refused to look at the screen on principle, playing footie manager on my phone instead.

My missus said I'm an old grumpy bastard, she might be right.
  • mrpon 19 Nov 2013 15:30:29 28,446 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    She is probably boning CharlieStCloud.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Rhaegyr 19 Nov 2013 15:37:36 1,417 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The 3D added a level of depth to the movie - the parts you mentioned with the screws are the worst parts of 3D.

I honestly don't see this 'shallow story and script' problem - it's a tale of survival, expertly told with minimal dialogue. Would you consider 127 Hours, Into The Wild and Life of Pi shallow too? 2001?

Thought Clooney was as good as ever and played one of his most realistic parts, along with Good Night, Good Luck. I could see the smug/laughable side if we were talking about Ocean's 11 or something similar.

Bullock hamming it up on occasion is something I can understand and agree with :)

As you can probably tell, I loved it - hope this doesn't come across as me white knighting the film and more as a discussion of its merits.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 15:38:32 19-11-2013
  • nickthegun 19 Nov 2013 15:38:48 58,787 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Wolverine - Boring. BORING. I didnt catch this at the cinema, so I can only assume that this extended version adds, basically, nothing to the movie other than dragging the fuck out of most scenes.

Whats the most exciting thing about Wolverine? His claws and healing power. Sadly, for whatever reason, the writers thought his healing power made him a boring character, so took it away from him for the majority of the movie.

Maybe in Superman Vs Batman, they can stop Superman from flying and make Batman stupid. Like they did in TDKR..

Anyway.. all this does is prove wolverine isnt the best at what he does, he is, in fact, a bit shit, getting shot, hit, shot, shot, hit, kicked and shot repeatedly for the next hour, rarely managing to best anyone in direct combat.

This makes it sound like its quite an exciting roller action roller coaster, but its not. When he isnt getting pounded, wolverine is involved in the most stupefyingly dull dialogue involving half a dozen absolutely asinine flashbacks with jean grey.

The end is predictable from the first minute and you spend the rest of the movie wishing death on every character almost without exception.

In short: fuck this film, its shit.

3/10

Edited by nickthegun at 15:40:34 19-11-2013

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• nickthegun 19 Nov 2013 15:41:24 58,787 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    Its a drawn out japanesey samurai mish mash and wtf is the red haired girl that can't see shit in the future all about?
    She is a mutant. Its a movie from a franchise about mutants.

He totally called it

• spindle9988 19 Nov 2013 15:43:05 3,501 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Madder-Max wrote:
    Its a drawn out japanesey samurai mish mash and wtf is the red haired girl that can't see shit in the future all about?
    ha
  • simsini 19 Nov 2013 15:43:06 312 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Don Jon - 80/100

Excellent film, not like your typical rom com.
  • Steve_Perry 19 Nov 2013 15:44:45 3,578 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I thought the wolverine was alright. It was better than the last one. I still attest there hasn't been a good Xmen film since the first and even that has it's flaws. They are all a bit shit really in their own way.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Rhaegyr 19 Nov 2013 15:46:22 1,417 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I thought First Class was pretty decent.

What really surprises me is dull characters like Wolverine get two whole films dedicated to him while Gambit gets a cameo part, played by a shit actor.

Edit - Maybe not dull, but over-exposed beyond belief. His best scene was telling Magento and Xavier to fuck off.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 15:48:09 19-11-2013
  • nickthegun 19 Nov 2013 15:48:36 58,787 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I liked First Class. I thought it was really good and am still a little disappointed that it didnt do well enough for it to stand on its own without shoehorning 'original' characters into it.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 19 November 2013 15:53:51
    The Great Beauty - 85%

There is some genius in this latest piece by Sorrentino, but you have to put up with an awful lot of fluff to get there.

BASICALLY you follow Jep, who is a writer, and his friends who are all aristocrat's in Rome. The film explores life, death, relationships, art society, class... blah blah blah. It's also about how a bunch of rich old people are unsatisfied with their lives.

Think The Tree of Life if it had less dinosaurs and Sean Penn in an office and more Pitt scenes without the abuse.

A more watchable Tree of Life if you will.
  • kalel 19 Nov 2013 15:54:58 86,369 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought First Class was the best one.

I'm starting to think more and more than superheroes just make more sense set in the context of the period in which they were invented. The ideas were born out of what was happening at the time - the discovery on genetics, our first forays into space, fear and rumours of what the Germans and Russians were doing with mutations and enhancements etc etc.
  • spindle9988 19 Nov 2013 15:57:08 3,501 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I havent watched it for a few years but I always liked xmen 2 the best
  • nickthegun 19 Nov 2013 16:00:36 58,787 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There isnt very much to split one and two. One is just great. The first hour is pretty much perfect.

If I had to rank them, I would say

XM1
    XM2
    First Class
    Cavernous dip in quality so big they dont really deserve to be on the same list
    XM3
    The Wolverine
    XMO: Wolverine

He totally called it

• Madder-Max 19 Nov 2013 16:17:07 11,622 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Madder-Max wrote:
    ha
    Yeah but is 'not seeing into the future'. Her skill then? Wtf is she supposed to be able to do?

• Steve_Perry 19 Nov 2013 16:19:51 3,578 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Days of Future Past will fit into the latter half of your list I reckon nick.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Page

of 2707 First / Last