Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2383

• Page

of 2585 First / Last

• Rhaegyr 14 Nov 2013 11:51:13 1,109 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I thought 3D in Avatar/Life of Pi was the dogs - didn't add a jot.

Enjoyed it quite a lot in Gravity - sure you get the odd screw floating towards the screen which seems a bit gimmicky but it really does add a ton of depth like Deckard said - perfectly suited to a film set in space.
  • HarryPalmer 14 Nov 2013 12:04:49 2,630 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    I thought it added to the film quite a bit. The added depth gave everything a sense of scale and went a long way to catching what I imagine it feels like to be in space.
    Yep, the 3D is the whole point of Gravity, without it, no one would be raving in the same way. The story, the script, it's all crafted around the idea of creating the best 3D experience.

It's an above average sci-fi action film with jaw-dropping visuals. The 3D really adds to the experience. I still find the fast moving shots blur though. I think if it had been filmed in HFR it would have been incredible.

It's the best use of 3D I've seen, I would have preferred less sentimentality, and a bit more believability.
  • HarryPalmer 14 Nov 2013 12:08:54 2,630 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    I refuse to watch films in 3D, it's a completely pointless gimmick that never fails to do anything other than wrench me out of the film to beat me around the head with the fact that OMG DID YOU SEE THAT THING LOOK AS IF IT WAS GOING TO HIT YOU BUT THERE WAS NEVER ANY CHANCE OF IT HITTING YOU BECAUSE IT'S A DIGITAL EFFECT WOW THERE'S ANOTHER ONE, ISN'T THIS AMAZING?

And I don't go to the cinema to be 'amazed', I go to watch a great film and get drawn into a great story. And yes, even if that story is Transformers (which I would never go and see), I don't want to see it in 3D.

All that in mind, once you take the OOOOOOOH out of Gravity's 3D effects, what's the actual film like?
    Seriously, this is some of the dumbest shit I've read in a while. You don't go to be amazed? You can't see the difference between a film like Gravity and a retrofitted piece of trash like The Last Airbender for example? I'm no fan of 3D but when it's at the centre of the creative process, it can be astonishing.
  • TOOTR 14 Nov 2013 15:35:19 9,473 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Elysium

Was expecting this to be godawful and as a result enjoyed it with the lowered expectations.

No it's not District 9. But it didn't feel bloated or outstay it's, admittedly, lukewarm welcome.

Themes and beats on the social haves and havenots, the lived in future, the increasingly sick hero... all present and accounted for. Not as much depth as D9 but still some crackingly shot gun battles and Matt Damon bringing a solid presence.

Bloomkamp should team up with Joss Whedon and do a movie set in a Mass Effect universe with a Firefly type crew.

65%

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Mr_Sleep 14 Nov 2013 15:44:01 16,236 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TOOTR wrote:
    Elysium

Bloomkamp should team up with Joss Whedon and do a movie set in a Mass Effect universe with a Firefly type crew.
    When I saw the trailer for Elysium I actually thought it was a Mass Effect movie that I had randomly not heard about.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Kostabi 14 Nov 2013 19:49:47 4,660 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pacific Rim - 7/10

Doesn't really do anything a million monster films haven't done before except look really nice. No real subplots, just big robots mashing Hong Kong and monster face.

Extra point for the rare Hollywood treat of Australians saving the day and Ron Perlman's badass shoes.
  • oceanmotion 14 Nov 2013 20:07:03 15,243 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pacific Rim

Robots were pretty cool and the attention to detail, appearing in the snow scene was neat. Monsters were okay. Rest of the film is awful, how annoying are those characters, those science guys, nothing happens for what feels like forever and a tedious flashback only splits the boredom. The story is ridiculous but I just can't let go the part were the heads of state just give up, those walls will save us from the monsters. Just stupid. Fuck Ron Perlman, oh look it's Ron Perlman.

2/10
  • Megapocalypse 14 Nov 2013 20:11:24 5,228 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you didn't see Pacific Rim in the cinema there really isn't much point.
  • Kostabi 14 Nov 2013 20:18:24 4,660 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cinemas are shit.
  • localnotail 14 Nov 2013 22:50:36 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Fuck Ron Perlman, oh look it's Ron Perlman.
    Hey! Never diss the Perlman :evil:

The World's End 9/10 for personal soundtrack nostalgia (20 second to comply actually make me squeak with joy). 6/10 for the actual film. It's not trouble but it's not really any good either. Felt like the kind of plot a bunch of sixth formers might construct the morning after a heavy night of teenage excess. I'm sure they had a lot of fun making it. Nice to see Nick Frost not having to be the stupid one for a change.

Edited by localnotail at 22:58:42 14-11-2013

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• beastmaster 14 Nov 2013 23:44:34 10,176 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Evil Dead remake - 9/10

Gaffer tape...for all your medical needs.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• TOOTR 15 Nov 2013 06:58:12 9,473 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    X-Men Origins : Wolverine (2009)

I don't know what's going on but, much like Elysium - I was expecting this to be utter utter gash and... quite enjoyed it!

Special effects are patchy (and that's being kind) but I even kind of enjoyed those low budget glimpses.

Jackman and liev schreiber are both solid in this - no complaints there.

Rest of the cast is much of a muchness and the last boss battle is unintentionally hilarious but... I felt it tied into the x-men movie mythos well enough and yeah - would I ever watch it again? No! but passed the time nicely.

Looking forward to the latest one now as it's supposed to be much better!

60%

Edited by TOOTR at 07:00:07 15-11-2013

• -cerberus- 15 Nov 2013 10:01:52 2,083 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ex Drummer

Saw it in theatres here when it was first released: brutal & over-the-top comedy/crime flick made in Belgium. Recommended, but not for the faint of heart.

7.5/10

Edited by -cerberus- at 10:02:57 15-11-2013

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• varsas 15 Nov 2013 11:33:42 2,373 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    Seriously, this is some of the dumbest shit I've read in a while. You don't go to be amazed? You can't see the difference between a film like Gravity and a retrofitted piece of trash like The Last Airbender for example? I'm no fan of 3D but when it's at the centre of the creative process, it can be astonishing.
    The 3D is retrofitted. The reason the 3D is so good is that it's done well and the director used it in a very intelligent and dynamic way that has previously not been done.

On the film itself, it's beautifully crafted and was very engaging from a story perspective too. I liked the characters and felt the tension: 9/10.

Another 9/10 is a film I saw last night called 'Like Father, Like Son' from the director of 'I Wish': a touching character drama.
  • graysonavich 15 Nov 2013 11:40:10 6,802 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Megapocalypse wrote:
    This phrase seems to be resurfacing over the last couple of years. You have to ask yourself; If a film only works in a cinema, is it more of a 'theme park experience' than a piece of credible film?
  • BillMurray 15 Nov 2013 11:49:11 7,235 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Expendables 2 - 25%

Dogwank. Switched off after 40 minutes.
  • varsas 15 Nov 2013 11:51:17 2,373 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    This phrase seems to be resurfacing over the last couple of years. You have to ask yourself; If a film only works in a cinema, is it more of a 'theme park experience' than a piece of credible film?
    It's an interesting debate, I think part of (some) film is about spectacle too and that's the purpose of cinema. If it were not part of it then why not, to take the opposite extreme, just release everything on portable devices?

It wouldn't be the same watching Pacific Rim or Gravity on my iPhone compared to the cinema.

Edited by varsas at 11:52:03 15-11-2013
  • Kew1Melon 15 Nov 2013 11:53:56 180 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:

Gaffer tape...for all your medical needs.
    I remember mentioning this to the Mrs while sat in the cinema haha.

Edited by Kew1Melon at 11:54:55 15-11-2013

You have an imagination barrier.

• Kew1Melon 15 Nov 2013 11:55:59 180 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @TOOTR The X men films feel too forced to me, as if they made the films for the sake of it.

You have an imagination barrier.

• oceanmotion 15 Nov 2013 12:00:59 15,243 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Megapocalypse wrote:
    The cinema experience doesn't make the other 95% of the film any less shite.
  • varsas 15 Nov 2013 12:09:39 2,373 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    ...a tedious flashback only splits the boredom...
    Are you referring to Mako's flashback? If so then... I have no words.
  • graysonavich 15 Nov 2013 12:44:41 6,802 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sure you have to watch it on a platform you're comfortable with. I have friends (honest!) who are quite happy to watch film&tv series' on their shitty 15" laptops streaming from some useless free torrent website.

If a film *only* works in the cinema, you have to say it's entire purpose to rake in as much cash as quickly as it can in the, what, 3 weeks? it's showing in the local multiplex.

It's like releasing a game that *only* works online...oh.
  • HarryPalmer 15 Nov 2013 12:58:03 2,630 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it's perfectly legitimate to want to make a film that is best experienced in the cinema, I don't really see the problem.
  • HarryPalmer 15 Nov 2013 13:00:58 2,630 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    varsas wrote:
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    The 3D is retrofitted. The reason the 3D is so good is that it's done well and the director used it in a very intelligent and dynamic way that has previously not been done.

On the film itself, it's beautifully crafted and was very engaging from a story perspective too. I liked the characters and felt the tension: 9/10.

Another 9/10 is a film I saw last night called 'Like Father, Like Son' from the director of 'I Wish': a touching character drama.
    Didnt know it was retrofitted, they did a very good job. I don't have a huge problem with 3D, but when it's implemented badly it is shocking, and cynical. The light-loss and blurriness is really hard to ignore. Gravity and the HFR version of The Hobbit are the only films where I didnt really notice it too much. Gravity is the only one where the film actually benefits from it (I havnt seen Hugo).
  • kalel 15 Nov 2013 13:54:54 83,871 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    Megapocalypse wrote:
    Just because an experience is dependant on a certain type of environment doesn't means it's necessarily less credible artistically - theatre for example. It can go either way and I think for the most part 3D is gimmicky theme park stuff, but one of two films do at least try to explore the more credible potential.
  • TOOTR 15 Nov 2013 13:57:26 9,473 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kew1Melon wrote:
    @TOOTR The X men films feel too forced to me, as if they made the films for the sake of it.
    Yeah there's definitely an element of that.

Just came back from Thor : Dark World and felt a similar feeling.

I enjoyed it enough but much like Iron Man 3 and, well, most of them really I can hardly remember much of it.

Problem 1 : Effects were good but nothing we haven't really seen before.
    Problem 2 : It feels more like an extended tv episode than a 2 hour movie.
    Problem 3 : I still don't have any insights into the characters of Thor's Asgard crew. Let them breathe a bit for Odin's sake.

Problem 4 : While there were a lot of humourous moments I felt there was something off with the editing around them. Timing in comedy is everything they say and they just felt a bit 'off'. [Mind you - I watched it here in the UAE so maybe it was cut to bits...]

Problem 5 : Christopher Eccleston had nothing to do. Standard bog fare gruff pissed off villain.

Hemsworth and Middleton are really great though. And Portman is happy eye candy.

68%

• varsas 15 Nov 2013 14:28:38 2,373 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    ...but when it's implemented badly it is shocking, and cynical. The light-loss and blurriness is really hard to ignore...
    Indeed I watched the last Harry Potter in IMAX 3D and one would think that this was the 'best' experience but it was blurry and incredibly annoying.
  • Deckard1 15 Nov 2013 14:32:17 25,406 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I found Harry Potter incredibly annoying when I tried to watch it as well.

Called it

• BinaryBob101 15 Nov 2013 16:56:26 21,966 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not all of Gravity's 3D was retrofitted.

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• Deleted user 15 November 2013 17:00:05
    Older movies are especially good on cinema screens. Back when big films tried to ape theatre, rather than videogames.
  • Page

of 2585 First / Last