Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2377

• Page

of 2589 First / Last

• Architect_z 7 Nov 2013 14:49:47 2,303 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Black Hawk Down - 88%

Great film, I don't think many of people that saw it when it first came out were that bothered about it, but on a recent watch, really enjoyed it. Plus theres alot of actors that you point at and say "that guys from....."
    Pretty much action all the way through, with instense struggle.
    The film may have been a bit one-sided in its view, it was abit too much 'MURICA!!! But either way, a good film.
  • Rhaegyr 7 Nov 2013 14:54:12 1,116 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Memories of Murder

One of the best films I've seen in ages - Dropkicks ftw.

9/10
  • henro_ben 7 Nov 2013 15:37:45 2,192 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Troll Hunter - 6/10

Found this on netflix the other night & gave it a watch. Actually rather enjoyable in a Blair Witch type style. The CGI for the trolls was a bit ropey in places, and they showed them much too early in my view but was all good fun.

Acting was a bit of a mixed bag but the best bit of the film was probably the scenery tbh, Norway is pretty stunning in places.
  • imamazed 7 Nov 2013 15:45:11 5,455 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    henro_ben wrote:
    Troll Hunter - 6/10

Found this on netflix the other night & gave it a watch. Actually rather enjoyable in a Blair Witch type style. The CGI for the trolls was a bit ropey in places, and they showed them much too early in my view but was all good fun.

Acting was a bit of a mixed bag but the best bit of the film was probably the scenery tbh, Norway is pretty stunning in places.
    Yeh that's what I took from it, tbh.

"Those trolls are a bit silly. Cor, I'd love to visit Norway though!"
  • Tom_Servo 7 Nov 2013 19:47:03 15,548 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gravity - 9/10

First of all, I can't emphasise enough that this has to be seen on IMAX in 3D. It's nothing short of breathtaking. I've seen a few films in 3D (including Avatar) and none of them have remotely convinced me of its worth as something that adds to the film-watching experience. But, Gravity has done it. It's the film the industry has been waiting for, IMHO.

The only thing I would say as a cautionary note is that it should maybe be missed if you have bad vertigo (although only bad, bad vertigo). I'm not a fan of heights myself, and there were definitely a couple of moments that gave me that unpleasant tingly feeling in the hands.

It's an incredibly visceral, terrifying experience. It's not a horror film per se, but it brings out a similar reaction in the viewer. You'll be tense and feel sick with dread for large portions of the film (this is a good thing, by the way).

The visuals are some of the best I've seen in a film. It's constantly incredible to look at. The detail is astonishing, it's consistently great work from Cuaron and the rest of the team behind this.

Bullock is mainly impressive despite a couple of Shia La Bouef-esque "NONONONONONONONO" moments. I fully expect her to be nominated for all the big awards, and probably win some too. Clooney is Clooney (I like him, so it wasn't a problem).

The first reason I've taken a point off is that there are a couple of cheesy lines which aren't in keeping with the rest of the film, particularly in the final third or so. The other reason is that the characterisation is a little bit weak and actually kinda superfluous, particularly with Bullock's character. Her being a loner with a dead daughter felt a bit clichéd to an extent. Also: Once Clooney was out the film it occasionally did that annoying thing in films where people voice thoughts they would otherwise keep in their head. I understand why they did it, but I don't really need to hear Bullock say "I hate space". It didn't feel right.

Bonus point for there being no aliens.
  • -cerberus- 7 Nov 2013 20:59:38 2,099 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Catfish

Brilliant. Can't say anything else about it without spoiling things. Highly recommended.

8.5/10

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Steve_Perry 8 Nov 2013 00:54:23 2,455 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Gravity - What Tom said.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• BillMurray 8 Nov 2013 01:00:13 7,235 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    henro_ben wrote:
    Troll Hunter - 6/10

I loved the troll at the very end. Reminded me of Shadow of the Colossus(spoilered just incase).
  • Mola_Ram 8 Nov 2013 01:06:34 6,255 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I enjoyed it for the pretty, but the musings on life and such felt a bit trite. I much preferred Sunshine's spin on that sort of stuff (well, at least the first half of Sunshine).
  • TOOTR 8 Nov 2013 05:04:27 9,473 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Incendies

Great film - the acting is fantastic and the story moves along at quite a pace. There's a turning point that a lot of people (including myself) will see coming but it doesn't bring down the film nor dampen its' impact. Quite a little history lesson, too!

8/10
    Randomly watched this a few days ago also.

Agree with you - it is a great film though I, personally, didn't see it all coming together as it did. Fantastic cinematography - felt like I'd been travelling at the end, in all kinds of ways.

Highly recommend.

90%

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• nickthegun 8 Nov 2013 09:24:19 55,877 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    Catfish

Brilliant. Can't say anything else about it without spoiling things. Highly recommended.

8.5/10
    Theres a Catfish: The Series on MTV at the moment. More of the same fwiw, but pretty funny.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• TheSaint 8 Nov 2013 09:31:53 13,630 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    Catfish

8.5/10
    You can say it all was faked without spoiling anything.
  • -cerberus- 8 Nov 2013 10:02:35 2,099 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @TheSaint Of course it's fake, it's made by the same guys who directed a few of the Paranormal Activity movies...

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• TheSaint 8 Nov 2013 10:11:15 13,630 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The paranormal activity films don't profess to be a documentary though.
  • Reacher 8 Nov 2013 10:16:57 542 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Hangover 3. 6/10, it was "alright" but not funny.
  • BillMurray 8 Nov 2013 11:17:27 7,235 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I had no idea Catfish was directed by the Paranormal Activity guys and wasn't a doc. Cheers!
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Nov 2013 12:13:22 21,249 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yup, Gravity is amazing. I was completely blown away by it. One of the best films I've seen at the cinema all year.

What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

• TechnoHippy 8 Nov 2013 14:33:26 14,642 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dredd

I enjoyed watching this film again, I was a big fan of the comics as a youngster and this a decent adaptation. As well as that it is a decent action film. It's set in the future where most of America is an irradiated wasteland, Mega City One is a vast city housing most of the remaining population. The city is rife with crime, things are so bad that the judges are empowered as judge, jury and executioners as needed. A new drug called slow-mo (which also provides a nice reason for some of the special effects) has hit the streets and as part of this three pushers are murdered. Judge Dredd and a rookie called Anderson investigate the murders and find themselves trapped inside the block. They then have to battle their way out.

The set up is very similar to The Raid (another excellent action film) and while the story isn't particularly unique it is sufficient to keep things interesting through the film.

For me the real problem was the setting, it didn't really fill the fantasy created in the comics. It has glimpses of it, but for the most part is little different from a modern environment. This in part reflects the low budget for the film.

However it's strengths far outweigh that minor complaint. The main plus for me was Dredd himself, Karl Urban does portray the character I imagined while reading the comics. The other characters are also well played, Anderson contrasts well with Dredd as the rookie judge being assessed.

This is a fun film, worth watching even if you don't know the comics and a fair adaptation if you have.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• TOOTR 8 Nov 2013 17:03:00 9,473 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gravity

Gravity was the first film I believe that truly warrants watching in 3D.

Insanely incredible visual effects and cinematography.

95%

• TOOTR 8 Nov 2013 17:04:59 9,473 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Batman - The Dark Knight Returns Parts 1 and 2 (animated)

Really enjoyed this. One of the better animated super tales. A faithful adaption in many ways of Millers Graphic Novel but with some extra Supes thrown in.

75%

• TechnoHippy 8 Nov 2013 17:05:35 14,642 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ronin

It's been a while since I last watched this and it was just as good as I remembered it. This is a top notch action thriller. A team of freelancers with different talents is put together and tasked with retrieving a case. As can be expected from a thriller things go pear shaped quite quickly.

The film does everything right, De Niro and Jean Reno work well together and pretty much steal the show, but everyone else does a good job in support. The weak link is Sean Bean, but he does provide some light relief.

The story unfolds at a good pace with some interesting twists and turns along the way. The action may be occasional and brief, but as with the rest of the film is well done. It also features one of the classic car chases in film through the streets of Paris.

It's also nice to see something like this not on the streets of a US city, it changes the dynamics quite a bit. The streets are narrow making for tighter action, the blend of nationalities also plays into the story.

This ranks as one of my favourite action thrillers and stills stands out in its genre.

9/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Scurrminator Moderator 8 Nov 2013 22:31:27 8,293 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Wolverine Extended.
    Missed it at the cinema on the back of origins being dire BUT this was great actually. Violence turned up a bit and an alright yarn. Pleasantly surprised.
    75/100

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Mr_Sleep 8 Nov 2013 23:49:54 16,267 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really enjoyed Gravity but echo the negative points highlighted by Tom. it just detracts that little bit from an otherwise excellent and engaging film. Not a massive negative, just took away a bit.

You are a factory of sadness.

• shooter 8 Nov 2013 23:53:23 393 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    U get a torrent with the japenese parts in subtitles ? All the torrents dont seem to have this
  • Mola_Ram 9 Nov 2013 05:35:19 6,255 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    moron wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Dredd

I enjoyed watching this film again
    I think the main reason this movie was underated is a horrible original with Stalone. The movie itself is better than all of those Thor/Xmen/Transformers and so on
    Underrated? Everyone on here has jizzed all over it since it came out.

I personally didn't see what the fuss was all about. But then I haven't read the comics.
  • TarickStonefire 9 Nov 2013 09:26:28 2,665 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    moron wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Dredd

I enjoyed watching this film again
    I think the main reason this movie was underated is a horrible original with Stalone. The movie itself is better than all of those Thor/Xmen/Transformers and so on
    Underrated? Everyone on here has jizzed all over it since it came out.

I personally didn't see what the fuss was all about. But then I haven't read the comics.
    a) the movie was under-rated outside of EG, obviously.
    b) "thing I had absolutely nothing invested in doesn't resonate with me" shocker ;)

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 9 Nov 2013 09:28:36 2,665 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:
    imamazed wrote:
    henro_ben wrote:
    Troll Hunter - 6/10

I loved the troll at the very end. Reminded me of Shadow of the Colossus(spoilered just incase).
    Neil Marshall is allegedly interested in doing the remake.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Mola_Ram 9 Nov 2013 09:42:19 6,255 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    a) the movie was under-rated outside of EG, obviously.
    b) "thing I had absolutely nothing invested in doesn't resonate with me" shocker ;)
    Well, there are plenty of movies I've liked where I haven't read the source material. With this, he seemed to spend most of the movie not shooting people, and the bits where he was shooting people were nowhere near as exciting as, say, The Raid.

It wasn't bad or anything, but I really don't understand all of the 9-10/10 scores it's been getting from people on here.

But eh, whatever. People like what they like. Good for them! :-)

Edited by Mola_Ram at 09:42:47 09-11-2013
  • Page

of 2589 First / Last